Replacing stock P4 fan

What method do the fans in stock Pentium 4 HSFs use to adjust their speed? I
assume that their RPMs increase with temperature but I've never seen a
temperature sensor on them. Are there third party fans available that
adjust their speed the same way? Thanks..

Malloy wrote:
> What method do the fans in stock Pentium 4 HSFs use to adjust their speed? I
> assume that their RPMs increase with temperature but I've never seen a
> temperature sensor on them. Are there third party fans available that
> adjust their speed the same way? Thanks..

Many are attached to the motherboard with a 3-pin connector, and the
sensor under the chip tells the motherboard how fast to spin the fan.

There are also cooling accessories you can get to plug your fan into so
you have more control.

"o-chan" <poda@REMOVEmac.com> wrote in message

> Many are attached to the motherboard with a 3-pin connector, and the
> sensor under the chip tells the motherboard how fast to spin the fan.

Thanks for your reply. So could I use a 3 pin Panaflo fan for this purpose?
Would its RPM be controlled by the mobo's sensor as well?

Here is a link to such a fan ...

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=35-180-041&depa=0

>>Many are attached to the motherboard with a 3-pin connector, and the
>>sensor under the chip tells the motherboard how fast to spin the fan.
>>
> Thanks for your reply. So could I use a 3 pin Panaflo fan for this purpose?
> Would its RPM be controlled by the mobo's sensor as well?
>
> Here is a link to such a fan ...
>
> http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=35-180-041&depa=0

I'm not sure. If it's a case fan it might have a different CFM than a
CPU fan. Maybe you can try a heatsink/fan combo? They are sold with
ratings (like "up to AMD 3200+"), making it less likely to goof up :)

Malloy, if the fan you get is plugged into the connector on the motherboard
as opposed to a power supply jack, it will be controlled by the motherboard
sensor. The fan you specify though is a case fan, which isn't going to mount
to the CPU cooler. I suggest you try to buy a replacement CPU cooler
kit,complete with fan
"Malloy" <whatsthat@yeahright.com> wrote in message

> "o-chan" <poda@REMOVEmac.com> wrote in message
>

>> Many are attached to the motherboard with a 3-pin connector, and the
>> sensor under the chip tells the motherboard how fast to spin the fan.
>>

> Thanks for your reply. So could I use a 3 pin Panaflo fan for this
> purpose?
> Would its RPM be controlled by the mobo's sensor as well?
>
> Here is a link to such a fan ...
>
> http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=35-180-041&depa=0

I don't know if anyone makes a replacement fan for the stock Intel cooler,
but here is a basic replacement for a socket 478- P4
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=35-103-128&depa=0

>I don't know if anyone makes a replacement fan for the stock Intel cooler,
>but here is a basic replacement for a socket 478- P4

Many thanks.

Malloy wrote:
> What method do the fans in stock Pentium 4 HSFs use to adjust their speed? I
> assume that their RPMs increase with temperature but I've never seen a
> temperature sensor on them. Are there third party fans available that
> adjust their speed the same way? Thanks..

The stock P4 fan has a built in temperature sensor that adjust speed based
on case temp (inlet to fan). Minimum speed below 30C and maximum above 38C.

Malloy wrote:

> "o-chan" <poda@REMOVEmac.com> wrote in message
>

>>Many are attached to the motherboard with a 3-pin connector, and the
>>sensor under the chip tells the motherboard how fast to spin the fan.

Not with a stock P4 fan and using motherboard control would interfere with
it's built in speed control.

> Thanks for your reply. So could I use a 3 pin Panaflo fan for this purpose?
> Would its RPM be controlled by the mobo's sensor as well?

No, unless you have some third party software to do it, such as speedfan.

"Cyrius7" <gorcon@schmorcon.com> wrote in message

> "RBM" <rmottola1(remove this)@optonline.net> wrote in message
>>I don't know if anyone makes a replacement fan for the stock Intel cooler,
>>but here is a basic replacement for a socket 478- P4
>

> Many thanks.

Me too :)

dos

No.

In article <37ci1gF595j4sU1@individual.net>, Malloy says...

> Thanks for your reply. So could I use a 3 pin Panaflo fan for this purpose?
> Would its RPM be controlled by the mobo's sensor as well?

Yes. The speed is controlled by the voltage sent to the fan by the
motherboard.

--
Conor

-- George Patton

In article <1112buu6cgq0690@corp.supernews.com>, David Maynard says...

> Not with a stock P4 fan and using motherboard control would interfere with
> it's built in speed control.

ROFLMAO. The bullshit in this NG is unbelievable.

--
Conor

-- George Patton

Conor wrote:

> In article <1112buu6cgq0690@corp.supernews.com>, David Maynard says...
>

>>Not with a stock P4 fan and using motherboard control would interfere with
>>it's built in speed control.
>>

> ROFLMAO. The bullshit in this NG is unbelievable.

You took the words right out of my mouth.

Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor on 90 nm Process Datasheet

2.80 GHz - 3.40 GHz Frequencies Supporting Hyper-Threading
Technology1 for All Frequencies with 800 MHz Front Side Bus

Document Number: 300561-002

7.3.2 Variable Speed Fan
The boxed processor fan operates at different speeds over a short range of
internal chassis temperatures. This allows the processor fan to operate at
a lower speed and noise level, while internal chassis temperatures are low.
If the internal chassis temperature increases beyond a lower set point, the
fan speed will rise linearly with the internal temperature until the higher
set point is reached. At that point, the fan speed is at its maximum. As
fan speed increases, so does fan noise levels. Systems should be designed
to provide adequate air around the boxed processor fan heatsink that
remains below the lower set point. These set points, represented in Figure
22 and Table 32, can vary by a few degrees from fan heatsink to fan
heatsink. The internal chassis temperature should be kept below 38 ºC.
Meeting the processor's temperature specification (see Chapter 5) is the
responsibility of the system integrator.

Note: The motherboard must supply a constant +12 V to the processor's power
header to ensure proper operation of the variable speed fan for the boxed
processor (refer to Table 31 for the specific requirements).

In article <1112bqjqfd5pt50@corp.supernews.com>, David Maynard says...

> The stock P4 fan has a built in temperature sensor that adjust speed based
> on case temp (inlet to fan).

ROFLMAO. Of course it does....

--
Conor

-- George Patton

"Conor" <conor.turton@gmail.com> wrote in message
> In article <1112bqjqfd5pt50@corp.supernews.com>, David Maynard says...
>

>> The stock P4 fan has a built in temperature sensor that adjust speed
>> based
>> on case temp (inlet to fan).
>
> ROFLMAO. Of course it does....

Try this Conor. Take a standard Intel fan and DON'T connect it to the MB
header. Connect to a constant 12v source. Then, tell me why it still changes

Ed

TRENDING THREADS