System Restore

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
June 1, 2005 3:57:56 AM

Norton Anti Virus malfunction due to a system restore. Auto protect shows
'Error'. All fields are checked in msconfig. Cannot uninstall and reinstall
as I dont have disc. Any suggestions.

More about : system restore

Anonymous
June 1, 2005 5:39:22 AM

"Sandy" wrote:
> Norton Anti Virus malfunction due to a system restore. Auto protect shows
> 'Error'. All fields are checked in msconfig. Cannot uninstall and reinstall
> as I dont have disc. Any suggestions.

Unless you have the Norton reinstallation disk, you are out of luck as
the application needs to be reinstalled.

Silj

--
siljaline

MS - MVP Windows (IE/OE) & Security, AH-VSOP
Security Tools Updates
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=31

(Reply to group, as return address
is invalid - that we may all benefit)
Anonymous
June 1, 2005 1:14:04 PM

As you now know, anytime you revert to a time prior to the last NAV
definitions or Symantec core file updates, using either scanreg /restore or
System Restore, you will find NAV "broken" on reboot. This happens because
NAV writes to the registry during the update operations. Any reversion
causes a mismatch between the installed files and the registry information.
The only known solution is to uninstall and reinstall NAV. This is a real
PITA, even if you have the installation CD, since the program and
definition updates can total over 100 MB, a formidable task under dial-up.
Symantec has known about this problem for many years and will do nothing to
resolve it for WinME users. AFAIK, the XP tool does not have this
limitation.

Like the other commenters here, I urge you to take this opportunity to
migrate to a more WinME-friendly AV tool.
How to uninstall Norton AntiVirus 2000/2001/2002
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/sunset-c2002kb.nsf...

IMO, perhaps the best "free" AV tool just now is Grisoft's AVG.
Others costing ca. $20-40 are widely available.
My personal favorites are Computer Associates' eTrust, based on years of
personal experience, and EOD32, based primarily on the benchmarking
organizations reports and ranking. Several other high quality tools exist.

The Virus Bulletin
http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/

ICSA Labs - TrueSecure Corp.
http://www.icsalabs.com/html/communities/antivirus/cert...

AV-Test
http://www.av-test.org/

List of Antivirus Software Vendors
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q49500&VOTE=1

In Memorium: Alex Nichol
Your cooperation is very appreciated.
------
"Sandy" <sandalwoodbythebay@rogers.com> wrote in message
> Norton Anti Virus malfunction due to a system restore. Auto protect shows
> 'Error'. All fields are checked in msconfig. Cannot uninstall and
reinstall
> as I dont have disc. Any suggestions.

June 1, 2005 2:51:29 PM

> Any suggestions.

Remove all viruses and malware from your system which includes removing
NAV. NAV is incompatible with the proper use and functioning of System
Restore and also much else in Win Me,
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Sandy <sandalwoodbythebay@rogers.com> wrote:

> Norton Anti Virus malfunction due to a system restore. Auto protect
> shows 'Error'. All fields are checked in msconfig. Cannot uninstall
> and reinstall as I dont have disc. Any suggestions.
Anonymous
June 1, 2005 3:07:55 PM

"Sandy" <sandalwoodbythebay@rogers.com> wrote in message
> Norton Anti Virus malfunction due to a system restore. Auto protect
shows
> 'Error'. All fields are checked in msconfig. Cannot uninstall and
reinstall
> as I dont have disc. Any suggestions.

Get rid of NAV and get a decent AV program such as AVG.
Regards Mike.
Anonymous
June 1, 2005 9:20:19 PM

Good words from Jack, no doubt. I would like to add another very good
freebie to the list: Avast! from Alwil software:
Heirloom, old and using it

> As you now know, anytime you revert to a time prior to the last NAV
> definitions or Symantec core file updates, using either scanreg /restore
> or
> System Restore, you will find NAV "broken" on reboot. This happens
> because
> NAV writes to the registry during the update operations. Any reversion
> causes a mismatch between the installed files and the registry
> information.
> The only known solution is to uninstall and reinstall NAV. This is a real
> PITA, even if you have the installation CD, since the program and
> definition updates can total over 100 MB, a formidable task under dial-up.
> Symantec has known about this problem for many years and will do nothing
> resolve it for WinME users. AFAIK, the XP tool does not have this
> limitation.
>
> Like the other commenters here, I urge you to take this opportunity to
> migrate to a more WinME-friendly AV tool.
> How to uninstall Norton AntiVirus 2000/2001/2002
> http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/sunset-c2002kb.nsf...
>
> IMO, perhaps the best "free" AV tool just now is Grisoft's AVG.
> Others costing ca. $20-40 are widely available.
> My personal favorites are Computer Associates' eTrust, based on years of
> personal experience, and EOD32, based primarily on the benchmarking
> organizations reports and ranking. Several other high quality tools
> exist.
>
> The Virus Bulletin
> http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/
>
> ICSA Labs - TrueSecure Corp.
> http://www.icsalabs.com/html/communities/antivirus/cert...
>
> AV-Test
> http://www.av-test.org/
>

> List of Antivirus Software Vendors
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q49500&VOTE=1

> In Memorium: Alex Nichol
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexper...
> Your cooperation is very appreciated.
> ------
> "Sandy" <sandalwoodbythebay@rogers.com> wrote in message
>> Norton Anti Virus malfunction due to a system restore. Auto protect shows
>> 'Error'. All fields are checked in msconfig. Cannot uninstall and
> reinstall
>> as I dont have disc. Any suggestions.

Anonymous
June 2, 2005 2:00:08 PM

Overview http://www.virusbulletin.com/vb100/archives/products.xm...
Result summary: 12 passes / 19 fails
Performance graph: - Success / Failure / No Entry
Vendor website: http://www.avast.com/

Unfortunately, there is no more recent survey of the WinME platform since
Feb 2002 for the AV tools at The Virus Bulletin.
-----

The most recent tests:
http://www.virusbulletin.com/vb100/archives/products.xm...
show Avast failing XP Professional, while passing three other OS's.

"Heirloom" <roland58XX@XXcox.net> wrote in message
> Good words from Jack, no doubt. I would like to add another very good
> freebie to the list: Avast! from Alwil software:
> Heirloom, old and using it
>

> "Jack E Martinelli" <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> wrote in message
> > As you now know, anytime you revert to a time prior to the last NAV
> > definitions or Symantec core file updates, using either scanreg /restore
> > or
> > System Restore, you will find NAV "broken" on reboot. This happens
> > because
> > NAV writes to the registry during the update operations. Any reversion
> > causes a mismatch between the installed files and the registry
> > information.
> > The only known solution is to uninstall and reinstall NAV. This is a
real
> > PITA, even if you have the installation CD, since the program and
> > definition updates can total over 100 MB, a formidable task under
dial-up.
> > Symantec has known about this problem for many years and will do nothing
> > resolve it for WinME users. AFAIK, the XP tool does not have this
> > limitation.
> >
> > Like the other commenters here, I urge you to take this opportunity to
> > migrate to a more WinME-friendly AV tool.
> > How to uninstall Norton AntiVirus 2000/2001/2002

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/sunset-c2002kb.nsf...

> > IMO, perhaps the best "free" AV tool just now is Grisoft's AVG.
> > Others costing ca. $20-40 are widely available.
> > My personal favorites are Computer Associates' eTrust, based on years of
> > personal experience, and EOD32, based primarily on the benchmarking
> > organizations reports and ranking. Several other high quality tools
> > exist.
> >
> > The Virus Bulletin
> > http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/
> >
> > ICSA Labs - TrueSecure Corp.

http://www.icsalabs.com/html/communities/antivirus/cert...

> > AV-Test
> > http://www.av-test.org/
> >

> > List of Antivirus Software Vendors
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q49500&VOTE=1
> >
> > --
> > Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User / DTS
> > Help us help you: http://www.dts-L.org/goodpost.htm
> > In Memorium: Alex Nichol
> > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexper...
> > Your cooperation is very appreciated.
> > ------
> > "Sandy" <sandalwoodbythebay@rogers.com> wrote in message
> >> Norton Anti Virus malfunction due to a system restore. Auto protect
shows
> >> 'Error'. All fields are checked in msconfig. Cannot uninstall and
> > reinstall
> >> as I dont have disc. Any suggestions.

June 2, 2005 8:32:13 PM

Alwil, if you will, Loomis!

Shane

"Heirloom" <roland58XX@XXcox.net> wrote in message
> Good words from Jack, no doubt. I would like to add another very good
> freebie to the list: Avast! from Alwil software:
> Heirloom, old and using it
>

> "Jack E Martinelli" <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> wrote in message
> > As you now know, anytime you revert to a time prior to the last NAV
> > definitions or Symantec core file updates, using either scanreg /restore
> > or
> > System Restore, you will find NAV "broken" on reboot. This happens
> > because
> > NAV writes to the registry during the update operations. Any reversion
> > causes a mismatch between the installed files and the registry
> > information.
> > The only known solution is to uninstall and reinstall NAV. This is a
real
> > PITA, even if you have the installation CD, since the program and
> > definition updates can total over 100 MB, a formidable task under
dial-up.
> > Symantec has known about this problem for many years and will do nothing
> > resolve it for WinME users. AFAIK, the XP tool does not have this
> > limitation.
> >
> > Like the other commenters here, I urge you to take this opportunity to
> > migrate to a more WinME-friendly AV tool.
> > How to uninstall Norton AntiVirus 2000/2001/2002

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/sunset-c2002kb.nsf...

> > IMO, perhaps the best "free" AV tool just now is Grisoft's AVG.
> > Others costing ca. $20-40 are widely available.
> > My personal favorites are Computer Associates' eTrust, based on years of
> > personal experience, and EOD32, based primarily on the benchmarking
> > organizations reports and ranking. Several other high quality tools
> > exist.
> >
> > The Virus Bulletin
> > http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/
> >
> > ICSA Labs - TrueSecure Corp.

http://www.icsalabs.com/html/communities/antivirus/cert...

> > AV-Test
> > http://www.av-test.org/
> >

> > List of Antivirus Software Vendors
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q49500&VOTE=1
> >
> > --
> > Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User / DTS
> > Help us help you: http://www.dts-L.org/goodpost.htm
> > In Memorium: Alex Nichol
> > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexper...
> > Your cooperation is very appreciated.
> > ------
> > "Sandy" <sandalwoodbythebay@rogers.com> wrote in message
> >> Norton Anti Virus malfunction due to a system restore. Auto protect
shows
> >> 'Error'. All fields are checked in msconfig. Cannot uninstall and
> > reinstall
> >> as I dont have disc. Any suggestions.

June 5, 2005 3:38:30 PM

Did as u suggested. Got rid of NAV and downloaded trial version of AVG.
Worked well the 1st couple of times however was running into so many error
messages with it I uninstalled it. Major OE problems with it. Also Rundll
problems. Do u have any other suggestions. Do u have any comments re:
bitdefender.

!