Spybot S & D 1.4 Released

Info:

http://safer-networking.org/en/news/2005-05-31.html

I was only able to connect to the Beta News mirror for the download.

It's recommended that you uninstall the previous version. See the
following instructions for uninstalling and reinstalling:

http://forums.net-integration.net/index.php?showtopic=30923

Everything appears to be okay here with the new release.
15 answers Last reply
More about spybot released

    TomV <t@nospam.net> wrote:

    > Info:
    >
    > http://safer-networking.org/en/news/2005-05-31.html
    >
    > I was only able to connect to the Beta News mirror for the download.

    Same here ten minutes ago.

    > It's recommended that you uninstall the previous version. See the
    > following instructions for uninstalling and reinstalling:
    >
    > http://forums.net-integration.net/index.php?showtopic=30923
    >
    > Everything appears to be okay here with the new release.

    Have yet to fully deploy so cannot comment as yet.
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    Cheers, Tom. This appears to be the week for new Anti-Spyware versions!

    Shane

    "TomV" <t@nospam.net> wrote in message
    > Info:
    >
    > http://safer-networking.org/en/news/2005-05-31.html
    >
    > I was only able to connect to the Beta News mirror for the download.
    >
    > It's recommended that you uninstall the previous version. See the
    > following instructions for uninstalling and reinstalling:
    >
    > http://forums.net-integration.net/index.php?showtopic=30923
    >
    > Everything appears to be okay here with the new release.

    Shane,

    I was thinking the same. Patrick Kolla and his group have been working
    on this new release for some time. Their efforts seem to have been
    worth the wait, and their hard work is much appreciated.

    Cheers,
    Tom

    > TomV <t@nospam.net> wrote:
    >
    > > Info:
    > >
    > > http://safer-networking.org/en/news/2005-05-31.html
    > >
    > > I was only able to connect to the Beta News mirror for the download.
    >
    > Same here ten minutes ago.

    I'm downloading now (for the other machine) from the See-cure.de mirror -
    though it took an awful long time for the download to start!

    In fact it's so appallingly slow I'm going to cancel and download fron the
    Beta News mirror again! Yes, it's coming down about 15x faster from the Beta
    News mirror!

    > > It's recommended that you uninstall the previous version. See the
    > > following instructions for uninstalling and reinstalling:
    > >
    > > http://forums.net-integration.net/index.php?showtopic=30923
    > >
    > > Everything appears to be okay here with the new release.
    >
    > Have yet to fully deploy so cannot comment as yet.

    It does seem to download some pretty old updates straight out of the box.
    Minor detail.

    On at least two of the three installations I've already done, the updates
    mirror was See-cure.de, so nothing seemed to happen for a very long time.
    Ctrl-Alt-Del'd it, then restarted and the mirror was now RootBoxen (on XP)
    or Safer Networking #1 Europe (on ME, 98se and ME again) and the updates
    came down no problem.

    With the updates installed, we're back to, every time we open the Immunize
    window - though actually there's an increase of 1, so the glass-half-full
    perspective has us in profit! - "1992 bad products already blocked, 3
    additional protections possible. Please immunize." Over and over and over.
    No doubt they'll be dealing with this. It doesn't happen in XP.

    Shane

    Shane wrote:

    > I'm downloading now (for the other machine) from the See-cure.de mirror -
    > though it took an awful long time for the download to start!
    >
    > In fact it's so appallingly slow I'm going to cancel and download fron the
    > Beta News mirror again! Yes, it's coming down about 15x faster from the Beta
    > News mirror!

    Majorgeeks has the download now also.

    http://www.majorgeeks.com/SpyBot-Search_&_Destroy_d2471.html

    > It does seem to download some pretty old updates straight out of the box.
    > Minor detail.

    Yep, the May 13 detection rules were installed.

    > On at least two of the three installations I've already done, the updates
    > mirror was See-cure.de, so nothing seemed to happen for a very long time.
    > Ctrl-Alt-Del'd it, then restarted and the mirror was now RootBoxen (on XP)
    > or Safer Networking #1 Europe (on ME, 98se and ME again) and the updates
    > came down no problem.

    I generally use Rootboxen or Safer Networking also, and as you indicate
    there was no problem.

    > With the updates installed, we're back to, every time we open the Immunize
    > window - though actually there's an increase of 1, so the glass-half-full
    > perspective has us in profit! - "1992 bad products already blocked, 3
    > additional protections possible. Please immunize." Over and over and over.
    > No doubt they'll be dealing with this. It doesn't happen in XP.

    I'm seeing the same with the immunize function on Win ME. XP appears to
    be okay.

    > Shane

    Cheers,
    Tom

    I too had trouble with the see-cure sites. On a cable connection, was
    trending over an hour to download so went to the Beta News site and it
    took less than a minute.
    I'm experiencing the same problem with IMMUNIZE on my Windows Me
    laptop. It indicates 1992 blocked with an additional 3 available and
    even though I click to Immunize, it keeps showing 3 available.
    Strangely on my Win 98 SE box IMMUNIZE shows "3133 bad products are
    now blocked" with no indication of additional bad products.

    Does this make any sense at all? Are the so called bad products
    dependent upon the O/S ?

    Dan

    "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message

    > "Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message
    > > TomV <t@nospam.net> wrote:
    > >
    > > > Info:
    > > >
    > > > http://safer-networking.org/en/news/2005-05-31.html
    > > >
    > > > I was only able to connect to the Beta News mirror for the
    download.

    > > Same here ten minutes ago.
    >
    > I'm downloading now (for the other machine) from the See-cure.de
    mirror -
    > though it took an awful long time for the download to start!
    >
    > In fact it's so appallingly slow I'm going to cancel and download
    fron the
    > Beta News mirror again! Yes, it's coming down about 15x faster from
    the Beta
    > News mirror!
    >

    > > > It's recommended that you uninstall the previous version. See
    the
    > > > following instructions for uninstalling and reinstalling:
    > > >
    > > > http://forums.net-integration.net/index.php?showtopic=30923
    > > >
    > > > Everything appears to be okay here with the new release.
    > >
    > > Have yet to fully deploy so cannot comment as yet.
    >
    > It does seem to download some pretty old updates straight out of the
    box.
    > Minor detail.
    >
    > On at least two of the three installations I've already done, the
    updates
    > mirror was See-cure.de, so nothing seemed to happen for a very long
    time.
    > Ctrl-Alt-Del'd it, then restarted and the mirror was now RootBoxen
    (on XP)
    > or Safer Networking #1 Europe (on ME, 98se and ME again) and the
    updates
    > came down no problem.
    >
    > With the updates installed, we're back to, every time we open the
    Immunize
    > window - though actually there's an increase of 1, so the
    glass-half-full
    > perspective has us in profit! - "1992 bad products already blocked,
    3
    > additional protections possible. Please immunize." Over and over and
    over.
    > No doubt they'll be dealing with this. It doesn't happen in XP.
    >

    > Shane

    Tom:
    I am greatful for your contribution and followed the instructions to the
    'z'.
    Everything went fine, except for the immunization part, which was ok. with
    vers.1.3, but here leaves me with 1990 bad products blocked (not 1992 as
    with Shane) and 3 to go.
    When I click on immunize, it will temporarily immunize those three, but then
    go right back to before.
    Can this be corrected?

    Harry.

    "TomV" <t@nospam.net> wrote in message
    > Info:
    >
    > http://safer-networking.org/en/news/2005-05-31.html
    >
    > I was only able to connect to the Beta News mirror for the download.
    >
    > It's recommended that you uninstall the previous version. See the
    > following instructions for uninstalling and reinstalling:
    >
    > http://forums.net-integration.net/index.php?showtopic=30923
    >
    > Everything appears to be okay here with the new release.

    Harry,

    Glad to hear everything went well. Apparently, the immunize issue is
    occurring on WinMe only. I suspect either Spybot will offer an update
    at some point in the future to correct the issue. The problem has been
    reported in the Spybot forum. If there is a fix, I'm sure it will turn
    up here. It's nothing major to be concerned about, more a PIA than
    anything else.

    Tom

    webster72n wrote:
    > Tom:
    > I am greatful for your contribution and followed the instructions to the
    > 'z'.
    > Everything went fine, except for the immunization part, which was ok. with
    > vers.1.3, but here leaves me with 1990 bad products blocked (not 1992 as
    > with Shane) and 3 to go.
    > When I click on immunize, it will temporarily immunize those three, but then
    > go right back to before.
    > Can this be corrected?
    >
    > Harry.

    Tom, the behaviour is identical on my 98se installation, if not on Dapper
    Dan's. Having just read Heirloom stating that it seems to be a ME-only issue
    I feel I should reiterate this just in case people are looking for what is
    unique to Win ME as a cause.

    > Harry,
    >
    > Glad to hear everything went well. Apparently, the immunize issue is
    > occurring on WinMe only. I suspect either Spybot will offer an update
    > at some point in the future to correct the issue. The problem has been
    > reported in the Spybot forum. If there is a fix, I'm sure it will turn
    > up here. It's nothing major to be concerned about, more a PIA than
    > anything else.
    >
    > Tom
    >
    > webster72n wrote:
    > > Tom:
    > > I am greatful for your contribution and followed the instructions to the
    > > 'z'.
    > > Everything went fine, except for the immunization part, which was ok.
    with
    > > vers.1.3, but here leaves me with 1990 bad products blocked (not 1992 as
    > > with Shane) and 3 to go.
    > > When I click on immunize, it will temporarily immunize those three, but
    then
    > > go right back to before.
    > > Can this be corrected?
    > >
    > > Harry.

    Hi, Shane,

    I should have been clear that it's Win 9x systems, not just ME. Thanks
    for pointing that out.

    Tom

    Shane wrote:
    > Tom, the behaviour is identical on my 98se installation, if not on Dapper
    > Dan's. Having just read Heirloom stating that it seems to be a ME-only issue
    > I feel I should reiterate this just in case people are looking for what is
    > unique to Win ME as a cause.
    >
    > Shane

    Therefore I will not worry about it until there is a fix, Tom.
    Thank you for the reassurance.

    Harry.

    "TomV" <t@nospam.net> wrote in message
    > Harry,
    >
    > Glad to hear everything went well. Apparently, the immunize issue is
    > occurring on WinMe only. I suspect either Spybot will offer an update
    > at some point in the future to correct the issue. The problem has been
    > reported in the Spybot forum. If there is a fix, I'm sure it will turn
    > up here. It's nothing major to be concerned about, more a PIA than
    > anything else.
    >
    > Tom
    >
    > webster72n wrote:
    > > Tom:
    > > I am greatful for your contribution and followed the instructions to the
    > > 'z'.
    > > Everything went fine, except for the immunization part, which was ok.
    with
    > > vers.1.3, but here leaves me with 1990 bad products blocked (not 1992 as
    > > with Shane) and 3 to go.
    > > When I click on immunize, it will temporarily immunize those three, but
    then
    > > go right back to before.
    > > Can this be corrected?
    > >
    > > Harry.

    Dapper Dan wrote:
    <snip>

    > Just a quick heads up that in Settings - Ignore products - All
    > products, the following three entries are checked by default and may
    > well be best unchecked.
    >
    > CDilla
    > SideStep
    > New.Net

    huh?

    Why would S&D default to not ignoring those pests ? (I'm not familiar
    with the first two, but New.net is a CWS variant, no?)

    Rick

    CDilla is the copy protection agent, or service, from Safe Cast, which first
    gained notoriaty when used, without notice or explanation, in Intuit's
    TurboTax 2002 and Quicken, and similar products.
    http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/t1077731055

    AFAIK, it is not spyware, but is a constantly running service which
    authenicates the current installed application as not counterfeit.
    Intuit begain using it when they observed that something like 85% of the
    electronic tax filings through their IRS-connected vendors were created
    using pirated TurboTax copies.
    -----

    Uninstalling TurboTax 2002 and SAFECAST (C-Dilla) components
    SUMMARY:
    Important: Do not use a third-party program (such as Norton Uninstaller) to
    uninstall TurboTax, as these programs may delete your tax return data.

    Instructions:

    Windows 95, Windows 98 or 98SE, or Windows Me:

    On the Windows taskbar, click Start, choose Programs, choose TurboTax
    [version] 2002, and then choose Uninstall.
    Click Yes at the message "This will permanently remove this program from
    your computer. Are you sure that you wish to continue?"
    Click Yes To All in the Remove Shared File window, and then click OK.
    After TurboTax has been removed from your computer, run the SafeCast
    Uninstaller.
    When finished, restart your computer.
    http://support.turbotax.com/turbotax/doc/0160000061
    ---

    In my hands under XP, the impact on performance is negligible.
    I consider it a rational and acceptible response to widespread piracy of
    several very popular products.
    Similarly, I have no problem with MS's WPA policy.
    In Memorium: Alex Nichol
    Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    ------
    > Dapper Dan wrote:
    > <snip>
    > >
    > > Just a quick heads up that in Settings - Ignore products - All
    > > products, the following three entries are checked by default and may
    > > well be best unchecked.
    > >
    > > CDilla
    > > SideStep
    > > New.Net
    >
    > huh?
    >
    > Why would S&D default to not ignoring those pests ? (I'm not familiar
    > with the first two, but New.net is a CWS variant, no?)
    >

    > Rick

    Jack E Martinelli wrote:

    <copy protection... CDilla>
    > In my hands under XP, the impact on performance is negligible.
    > I consider it a rational and acceptible response to widespread piracy of
    > several very popular products.
    > Similarly, I have no problem with MS's WPA policy.

    I have problems with methods that affect the performance of the product;
    case in point:

    The drivers/software for one of my video capture cards (with a TV tuner)
    includes Macrovision; while in itself this doesn't bother me, the fact
    that if a signal is a little weak it thinks its a copy and kicks in and
    stops recording; *that* bothers me.

    And I bet that the CDilla or whatever is running constantly whether
    you're using the tax program or not... that's a company that's costing
    me money because they apparently legally assume that I'm a criminal.

    Rick

    Jack E Martinelli wrote:
    > Hi, Rick.
    >
    > Re: 1) " the fact that if a signal is a little weak it thinks its a copy
    > and kicks in and
    >
    >>stops recording; *that* bothers me.
    >

    > I recommend that you report this, hoping that it can it can be fixed.

    The card in question was from the 90s, the company wouldn't fix them
    (and the drivers weren't written in-house), so the user community hacked
    the driver. To the best of my knowledge the UC is pretty well above
    board and few if any are inclined to substitute the letter 'z' for the
    letter 's' while writing.

    > 2) " I bet that the CDilla or whatever is running constantly "
    >
    > I also would prefer that the copy protection not run constantly. I am not
    > qualified to critique this particular method.

    Just off the top of my head...

    - purchase the software
    - call the company's 800 number and give them the unique registration
    key and the serial number of your hard disk
    - company gives you an installation key calculated from the above
    - viola

    > I would hope that better
    > programming would avoid this issue, avoiding any executing oversight process
    > under normal situations.

    Roxio CDR software checks the CD drive every couple seconds "is there a
    disk yet?"

    > However, a process consuming less than 1% of cpu
    > time is not a problem, under normal circumstances.

    Depends on your definition of problem... my hardware doesn't belong to
    them.... 1% of what I've "invested" in it + running costs is a
    defineable sum.

    > 3) "that's a company that's costing me money because they apparently
    > legally assume that I'm a criminal."
    >
    > Is this cost to you more than a few pennies a month?

    It may be: there is a micropercentage of computer owners for which the
    extra bit of processing forces an hardware upgrade (straw that broke the
    cpu's back)... eventually that will be me for some thing or another.

    > The cost from piracy to Intuit is enormous. I can understand the need for
    > copy protection for such widely used, easily pirated software.

    I don't mind security measures; I mind paying for incompetence.

    > Unfortunately, many of our fellow computer users are thieves, unless
    > thwarted.

    There's social problems lurking there; peer pressure (or perceived peer
    pressure) that being a criminal is "cool" and of course "I didn't know
    it was pirated" (like the CDR with "Tax Stuf" writ in magic-marker isn't
    a clue).

    The funny thing is most of the time pirated software is faulty and
    virus-ridden so frauds generally do get their comeuppance in the form of
    having to reformat their disk or getting a little note from the
    government that their tax return figures are a bit shaky (possibly
    delivered by men in dark suits).

    Quicken *is* a pretty good product and IMHO well worth the $20-40 bucks
    if you require/want computer-assisted accounting software.

    Rick

Connection Spybot Microsoft Windows