wirelss network advice please

Hi,
I have a laptop with a built in wireless card and a desktop computer with no
wireless access. The desktop has broadband internet access through tiscali
and a USB modem.

I want a wireless network between the two computers. I believe that to have
internet access for the laptop I really need to use a router for the
internet instead of the modem?

Also if I don't need the internet access on the laptop, all I need to do for
a wireless network between the two computers is to put a wireless card into
the desktop?

What about a USB wireless dongle instead of a card?

Any advice will be greatly received.
Cheers
Lenny
7 answers Last reply
More about wirelss network advice please

    in the ad hoc wireless networking mode you can share the modem with your
    desktop, but you need a wireless adapter in the desktop first
    "lenny" <lenny1097@hotmail.nospam.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I have a laptop with a built in wireless card and a desktop computer with
    > no wireless access. The desktop has broadband internet access through
    > tiscali and a USB modem.
    >
    > I want a wireless network between the two computers. I believe that to
    > have internet access for the laptop I really need to use a router for the
    > internet instead of the modem?
    >
    > Also if I don't need the internet access on the laptop, all I need to do
    > for a wireless network between the two computers is to put a wireless card
    > into the desktop?
    >
    > What about a USB wireless dongle instead of a card?
    >
    > Any advice will be greatly received.
    > Cheers
    > Lenny

    what do you mean by ad hoc mode?

    "Andrew C" <ajc101292@cocmcast.net> wrote in message
    > in the ad hoc wireless networking mode you can share the modem with your
    > desktop, but you need a wireless adapter in the desktop first
    > "lenny" <lenny1097@hotmail.nospam.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >> I have a laptop with a built in wireless card and a desktop computer with
    >> no wireless access. The desktop has broadband internet access through
    >> tiscali and a USB modem.
    >>
    >> I want a wireless network between the two computers. I believe that to
    >> have internet access for the laptop I really need to use a router for the
    >> internet instead of the modem?
    >>
    >> Also if I don't need the internet access on the laptop, all I need to do
    >> for a wireless network between the two computers is to put a wireless
    >> card into the desktop?
    >>
    >> What about a USB wireless dongle instead of a card?
    >>
    >> Any advice will be greatly received.
    >> Cheers
    >> Lenny

    when you create your network you will probably understand it better, but
    bassically it is a computer to computer network that works without a router,
    that is mainly used to share files but you can also share connections over
    that type of network.

    lenny wrote:

    > what do you mean by ad hoc mode?
    >
    > "Andrew C" <ajc101292@cocmcast.net> wrote in message
    >> in the ad hoc wireless networking mode you can share the modem with
    >> your desktop, but you need a wireless adapter in the desktop first
    >> "lenny" <lenny1097@hotmail.nospam.com> wrote in message
    >>> Hi,
    >>> I have a laptop with a built in wireless card and a desktop computer
    >>> with no wireless access. The desktop has broadband internet access
    >>> through tiscali and a USB modem.
    >>>
    >>> I want a wireless network between the two computers. I believe that
    >>> to have internet access for the laptop I really need to use a router
    >>> for the internet instead of the modem?

    Making the Wireless Home Network Connection in Windows XP Without a
    Router - MVP Barb Bowman
    http://tinyurl.com/2zkon (link for above)

    Wireless - Basic Configuration -

    Wireless Network Setup Wizard SP2

    Linksys networking information (you don't need to use Linksys hardware,
    of course; this site has good layout pictures)
    http://www.linksys.com/edu/

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    thanks,
    What are your thoughts on the type of wireless card to use or the usb
    wireless dongles that are available at the moment.

    I use PCI cards on other computers that I have set up but am thinking about
    the ease of USB.

    lenny wrote:

    > thanks,
    > What are your thoughts on the type of wireless card to use or the usb
    > wireless dongles that are available at the moment.
    >
    > I use PCI cards on other computers that I have set up but am thinking
    > about the ease of USB.

    I don't have any first-hand experience with usb wireless cards since I
    only have wireless on the laptops. Check out Tom's Hardware for
    reviews, maybe look at dslreports.com and see if they have any
    suggestions in the user forums.

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    "Don't Panic"
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

    Hi
    May be this can Help - http://www.ezlan.net/faq#wcard
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    > thanks,
    > What are your thoughts on the type of wireless card to use or the usb
    > wireless dongles that are available at the moment.
    >
    > I use PCI cards on other computers that I have set up but am thinking
    about
    > the ease of USB.
    >

    > "Malke" <invalid@not-real.com> wrote in message
    > > lenny wrote:
    > >
    > >> what do you mean by ad hoc mode?
    > >>
    > >> "Andrew C" <ajc101292@cocmcast.net> wrote in message

    > > Making the Wireless Home Network Connection in Windows XP Without a
    > > Router - MVP Barb Bowman

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/bowman_02april08.
    mspx
    > > http://tinyurl.com/2zkon (link for above)
    > >
    > > Wireless - Basic Configuration -
    > > http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Config.html
    > > Wireless - Basic Security - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html
    > > MVP Barb Bowman on wireless security - http://tinyurl.com/56fc5
    > >
    > > Wireless Network Setup Wizard SP2
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/cableguy/cg0604.mspx
    > >
    > > Linksys networking information (you don't need to use Linksys hardware,
    > > of course; this site has good layout pictures)
    > > http://www.linksys.com/edu/
    > >
    > > Malke
    > > --
    > > Elephant Boy Computers
    > > www.elephantboycomputers.com
    > > "Don't Panic!"
    > > MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Wireless Internet Access Laptops Wireless Networking