wirelss network advice please

Hi,
I have a laptop with a built in wireless card and a desktop computer with no
wireless access. The desktop has broadband internet access through tiscali
and a USB modem.

I want a wireless network between the two computers. I believe that to have
internet access for the laptop I really need to use a router for the
internet instead of the modem?

Also if I don't need the internet access on the laptop, all I need to do for
a wireless network between the two computers is to put a wireless card into
the desktop?

What about a USB wireless dongle instead of a card?

Any advice will be greatly received.
Cheers
Lenny

in the ad hoc wireless networking mode you can share the modem with your
desktop, but you need a wireless adapter in the desktop first
"lenny" <lenny1097@hotmail.nospam.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I have a laptop with a built in wireless card and a desktop computer with
> no wireless access. The desktop has broadband internet access through
> tiscali and a USB modem.
>
> I want a wireless network between the two computers. I believe that to
> have internet access for the laptop I really need to use a router for the
> internet instead of the modem?
>
> Also if I don't need the internet access on the laptop, all I need to do
> for a wireless network between the two computers is to put a wireless card
> into the desktop?
>
> What about a USB wireless dongle instead of a card?
>
> Any advice will be greatly received.
> Cheers
> Lenny

what do you mean by ad hoc mode?

"Andrew C" <ajc101292@cocmcast.net> wrote in message
> in the ad hoc wireless networking mode you can share the modem with your
> desktop, but you need a wireless adapter in the desktop first
> "lenny" <lenny1097@hotmail.nospam.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>> I have a laptop with a built in wireless card and a desktop computer with
>> no wireless access. The desktop has broadband internet access through
>> tiscali and a USB modem.
>>
>> I want a wireless network between the two computers. I believe that to
>> have internet access for the laptop I really need to use a router for the
>> internet instead of the modem?
>>
>> Also if I don't need the internet access on the laptop, all I need to do
>> for a wireless network between the two computers is to put a wireless
>> card into the desktop?
>>
>> What about a USB wireless dongle instead of a card?
>>
>> Any advice will be greatly received.
>> Cheers
>> Lenny

when you create your network you will probably understand it better, but
bassically it is a computer to computer network that works without a router,
that is mainly used to share files but you can also share connections over
that type of network.
> what do you mean by ad hoc mode?
>
> "Andrew C" <ajc101292@cocmcast.net> wrote in message
>> in the ad hoc wireless networking mode you can share the modem with your
>> desktop, but you need a wireless adapter in the desktop first
>> "lenny" <lenny1097@hotmail.nospam.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi,
>>> I have a laptop with a built in wireless card and a desktop computer
>>> with no wireless access. The desktop has broadband internet access
>>> through tiscali and a USB modem.
>>>
>>> I want a wireless network between the two computers. I believe that to
>>> have internet access for the laptop I really need to use a router for
>>> the internet instead of the modem?
>>>
>>> Also if I don't need the internet access on the laptop, all I need to do
>>> for a wireless network between the two computers is to put a wireless
>>> card into the desktop?
>>>
>>> What about a USB wireless dongle instead of a card?
>>>
>>> Any advice will be greatly received.
>>> Cheers
>>> Lenny

Malke

lenny wrote:

> what do you mean by ad hoc mode?
>
> "Andrew C" <ajc101292@cocmcast.net> wrote in message
>> in the ad hoc wireless networking mode you can share the modem with
>> your desktop, but you need a wireless adapter in the desktop first
>> "lenny" <lenny1097@hotmail.nospam.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi,
>>> I have a laptop with a built in wireless card and a desktop computer
>>> with no wireless access. The desktop has broadband internet access
>>> through tiscali and a USB modem.
>>>
>>> I want a wireless network between the two computers. I believe that
>>> to have internet access for the laptop I really need to use a router
>>> for the internet instead of the modem?

Making the Wireless Home Network Connection in Windows XP Without a
Router - MVP Barb Bowman
http://tinyurl.com/2zkon (link for above)

Wireless - Basic Configuration -

Wireless Network Setup Wizard SP2

Linksys networking information (you don't need to use Linksys hardware,
of course; this site has good layout pictures)
http://www.linksys.com/edu/

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

thanks,
What are your thoughts on the type of wireless card to use or the usb
wireless dongles that are available at the moment.

I use PCI cards on other computers that I have set up but am thinking about
the ease of USB.

> lenny wrote:
>
>> what do you mean by ad hoc mode?
>>
>> "Andrew C" <ajc101292@cocmcast.net> wrote in message
>>> in the ad hoc wireless networking mode you can share the modem with
>>> your desktop, but you need a wireless adapter in the desktop first
>>> "lenny" <lenny1097@hotmail.nospam.com> wrote in message

> Making the Wireless Home Network Connection in Windows XP Without a
> Router - MVP Barb Bowman
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/bowman_02april08.mspx
> http://tinyurl.com/2zkon (link for above)
>
> Wireless - Basic Configuration -
> http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Config.html
> Wireless - Basic Security - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html
> MVP Barb Bowman on wireless security - http://tinyurl.com/56fc5
>
> Wireless Network Setup Wizard SP2
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/cableguy/cg0604.mspx
>
> Linksys networking information (you don't need to use Linksys hardware,
> of course; this site has good layout pictures)
> http://www.linksys.com/edu/
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Malke

lenny wrote:

> thanks,
> What are your thoughts on the type of wireless card to use or the usb
> wireless dongles that are available at the moment.
>
> I use PCI cards on other computers that I have set up but am thinking
> about the ease of USB.

I don't have any first-hand experience with usb wireless cards since I
only have wireless on the laptops. Check out Tom's Hardware for
reviews, maybe look at dslreports.com and see if they have any
suggestions in the user forums.

Malke
--