HD's temp probe

Last response: in Systems
a b B Homebuilt system
February 15, 2005 3:44:10 PM

My goal is a silent pc and trying to eliminate as many fans as
possible and using specific components into a self made wooden case
size cm.50x55x40h.

The seagate barracuda HD will be sitting on the bottom of the case in
elastic suspension. It will be cooled by a huge passive aluminum
heatsink ("glued" with thermal paste) whose weight is more than 1 kg;
its 9 fins, 15x6cm., have a total surface of 800cm square. HD
shouldn't turn hot :-)

Now the problem is: where exactly should I position the probe to read
HD's temperature?

--
Gianmaria
Perugia, 450mt s.l.m.

More about : temp probe

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
February 15, 2005 3:44:11 PM

Gianmaria Fontana di Sacculmino wrote:

> My goal is a silent pc and trying to eliminate as many fans as
> possible and using specific components into a self made wooden case
> size cm.50x55x40h.
>
> The seagate barracuda HD will be sitting on the bottom of the case in
> elastic suspension. It will be cooled by a huge passive aluminum
> heatsink ("glued" with thermal paste) whose weight is more than 1 kg;
> its 9 fins, 15x6cm., have a total surface of 800cm square. HD
> shouldn't turn hot :-)
>
> Now the problem is: where exactly should I position the probe to read
> HD's temperature?
>
> --
> Gianmaria
> Perugia, 450mt s.l.m.

Without actually having one inside the drive, I think the best place
would be touching the aluminum as close to the center of the drive as
possible.
February 16, 2005 3:48:56 AM

!