HD's temp probe

My goal is a silent pc and trying to eliminate as many fans as
possible and using specific components into a self made wooden case
size cm.50x55x40h.

The seagate barracuda HD will be sitting on the bottom of the case in
elastic suspension. It will be cooled by a huge passive aluminum
heatsink ("glued" with thermal paste) whose weight is more than 1 kg;
its 9 fins, 15x6cm., have a total surface of 800cm square. HD
shouldn't turn hot :-)

Now the problem is: where exactly should I position the probe to read
HD's temperature?

--
Gianmaria
Perugia, 450mt s.l.m.

    Gianmaria Fontana di Sacculmino wrote:

    > My goal is a silent pc and trying to eliminate as many fans as
    > possible and using specific components into a self made wooden case
    > size cm.50x55x40h.
    >
    > The seagate barracuda HD will be sitting on the bottom of the case in
    > elastic suspension. It will be cooled by a huge passive aluminum
    > heatsink ("glued" with thermal paste) whose weight is more than 1 kg;
    > its 9 fins, 15x6cm., have a total surface of 800cm square. HD
    > shouldn't turn hot :-)
    >
    > Now the problem is: where exactly should I position the probe to read
    > HD's temperature?
    >
    > --
    > Gianmaria
    > Perugia, 450mt s.l.m.

    Without actually having one inside the drive, I think the best place
    would be touching the aluminum as close to the center of the drive as
    possible.

    "Gianmaria Fontana di Sacculmino" <gfds@nospam.org> wrote in message
    > My goal is a silent pc and trying to eliminate as many fans as
    > possible and using specific components into a self made wooden case
    > size cm.50x55x40h.
    >
    > The seagate barracuda HD will be sitting on the bottom of the case in
    > elastic suspension. It will be cooled by a huge passive aluminum
    > heatsink ("glued" with thermal paste) whose weight is more than 1 kg;
    > its 9 fins, 15x6cm., have a total surface of 800cm square. HD
    > shouldn't turn hot :-)
    >
    > Now the problem is: where exactly should I position the probe to read
    > HD's temperature?
    >
    > --
    > Gianmaria
    > Perugia, 450mt s.l.m.

    > I was worried about HDD temp's in my 3 maxtor drives, so i found a program
    > called HDD Temperature Pro.
    > I don't know much about how program works, but i run my maxtors on sata
    > 133 and it works fine.
    > I also don't know if your Seagate is new, supported or has temp sensor
    > inside it......

Homebuilt HD Systems