system restore failure

A couple of months ago I started having lock ups and system restore failed to
work although I had downloaded the hotfix as Belarc calls it 290700. I ran
cwshredder, spybot, adaware, McAfee, etc. etc. etc. still no luck and still
locking up. Cleaned out the dust to get rid of heat problems. Finally
redownloaded 290700 for the second time and sys restore started working ok.
Now a month later it's down again. I know when you download it you lose all
past restore points. So do I do the fix again and any ideas why it quits.
Sytem restore is set to 1074 MB space as per advised. Temp file space is 10
MB. Any help appreciated. Dell 4100, 512 RAM, 40 G
Kelly
Ohio
16 answers Last reply
More about system restore failure

    First, confirm that you have several GB's of free space on C:\, and that
    *StateMgr is checked in msconfig / Startup, and that Belarc Advisor reports
    that the patch 290700 is installed.

    "MS KB Q290700
    You can easily check by checking the version of the file smgr.dll which
    should be in your windows\system folder. If the version is still
    v4.90.0.2533 you have not applied the patch, if v4.90.0.3003 you have."

    Noel Paton MVP
    ----
    Then run this simple test:

    Stop & Restart PC Restore

    To stop SR:
    System Properties | Performance | File System | Troubleshooting - check
    "Disable System Restore" and immediately reboot.
    To restart SR:
    System Properties | Performance | File System | Troubleshooting - uncheck
    "Disable System Restore" and immediately reboot.
    This should create a single automatic checkpoint
    Set space allocated to SR:
    System Properties | Performance | File System | Hard Disk - adjust the
    slider "System Restore disk space use:" to your preference. This can be set
    between 200MB minimum and either 400MB or 12% of the boot partition where
    the partition exceeds 4GB.
    --
    Mike Maltby
    ----

    The space allocated to SR/SFP can be set by the user between the minimum of
    200MB and a maximum of 400MB or 12% of the boot partition size whichever is
    the greater. All restore data is stored in the _RESTORE folder on the boot
    partition. The _RESTORE folder on all other partitions contains just a
    single one byte file SRDISKID.dat which is used by SR to track any changed
    in enumeration of HDs on the system such as might happen when an HD is
    either added or removed.
    --
    Mike Maltby
    -----

    If you continue to have problems, run scanreg /fix and follow the directions
    to reboot. Then retest SR by creating a new checkpoint.

    "Troubleshooting System Restore in Windows Millennium Edition"
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q306768

    In Memorium: Alex Nichol
    Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    ------
    "kbsmith9" <kbsmith9@usa.net> wrote in message
    > A couple of months ago I started having lock ups and system restore failed
    > work although I had downloaded the hotfix as Belarc calls it 290700. I ran
    > cwshredder, spybot, adaware, McAfee, etc. etc. etc. still no luck and
    still
    > locking up. Cleaned out the dust to get rid of heat problems. Finally
    > redownloaded 290700 for the second time and sys restore started working
    ok.
    > Now a month later it's down again. I know when you download it you lose
    all
    > past restore points. So do I do the fix again and any ideas why it quits.
    > Sytem restore is set to 1074 MB space as per advised. Temp file space is
    10
    > MB. Any help appreciated. Dell 4100, 512 RAM, 40 G
    > Kelly
    > Ohio

    Jack, still have 30 G space on C:/ Disabled SR, restarted, enabled SR,
    restarted, created a new test point. Created new folder on desktop. Ran SR,
    was successful, it removed the folder I created. On a file search for
    smgr.dll I found 4 identical folders. Three of them were in upper case. All
    221 KB. Also TRANSMGR.DLL 168 KB. Version 9.0.0.26 All smgr.dll are version
    4.90.0.3003. Reset restore capacity to 10 MB. I have done this before and
    knew I would lose all my old restore points but whats the cause. I even have
    290700 saved in a folder. In msconfig *StateMgr is enabled. Have run scanreg
    /fix. Belarc confirms 290700. I have this file SRDISKID.dat

    "Jack E Martinelli" wrote:

> [...]
    > ------
    > "kbsmith9" <kbsmith9@usa.net> wrote in message
    > > A couple of months ago I started having lock ups and system restore failed
    > > work although I had downloaded the hotfix as Belarc calls it 290700. I ran
    > > cwshredder, spybot, adaware, McAfee, etc. etc. etc. still no luck and
    > still
    > > locking up. Cleaned out the dust to get rid of heat problems. Finally
    > > redownloaded 290700 for the second time and sys restore started working
    > ok.
    > > Now a month later it's down again. I know when you download it you lose
    > all
    > > past restore points. So do I do the fix again and any ideas why it quits.
    > > Sytem restore is set to 1074 MB space as per advised. Temp file space is
    > 10
    > > MB. Any help appreciated. Dell 4100, 512 RAM, 40 G

    Kelly,

    What exactly happens when you try to use system restore? How far back is
    the checkpoint you are trying to restore? What is the version of the file
    smgr.dll in your windows\system folder (right click on the file, select
    Properties and look on the Version tab)?

    You might also want to carry out this quick check:
    a) Create a shortcut on your desktop to a file.
    b) Create a manual checkpoint
    c) Delete the shortcut
    d) Restore you PC to the checkpoint you created.
    Was the shortcut restored? Did you see any error messages?
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    kbsmith9 <kbsmith9@usa.net> wrote:

    > A couple of months ago I started having lock ups and system restore
    > failed to work although I had downloaded the hotfix as Belarc calls
    > it 290700. I ran cwshredder, spybot, adaware, McAfee, etc. etc. etc.
    > still no luck and still locking up. Cleaned out the dust to get rid
    > of heat problems. Finally redownloaded 290700 for the second time and
    > sys restore started working ok. Now a month later it's down again. I
    > know when you download it you lose all past restore points. So do I
    > do the fix again and any ideas why it quits. Sytem restore is set to
    > 1074 MB space as per advised. Temp file space is 10 MB. Any help
    > appreciated. Dell 4100, 512 RAM, 40 G

    Jack,

    Stopping and starting system restore will lose Kelly her checkpoints,
    something she may not want to do at this stage if she is trying to return
    to one of them.
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    Jack E Martinelli <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> wrote:

> [...]
    > directions to reboot. Then retest SR by creating a new checkpoint.
    >
    > "Troubleshooting System Restore in Windows Millennium Edition"
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q306768
    >
    >> A couple of months ago I started having lock ups and system restore
    >> failed to work although I had downloaded the hotfix as Belarc calls
    >> it 290700. I ran cwshredder, spybot, adaware, McAfee, etc. etc. etc.
    >> still no luck and still locking up. Cleaned out the dust to get rid
    >> of heat problems. Finally redownloaded 290700 for the second time
    >> and sys restore started working ok. Now a month later it's down
    >> again. I know when you download it you lose all past restore points.
    >> So do I do the fix again and any ideas why it quits. Sytem restore
    >> is set to 1074 MB space as per advised. Temp file space is 10 MB.
    >> Any help appreciated. Dell 4100, 512 RAM, 40 G

    Yes, I understand, Mike. She reported no other problems than the SR
    failure, i.e., she wasn't trying to revert to a checkpoint.
    So I thought it advisable to test the SR restart.
    I should have been more cautious and advised her more pointedly of the
    consequence.

    *** I am now deferring to you to help Kelly here.

    (I suspect we will need your help with coalmover's SR problem in
    ....windowsme.systemtools, also.)
> [...]
    > > directions to reboot. Then retest SR by creating a new checkpoint.
    > >
    > > "Troubleshooting System Restore in Windows Millennium Edition"
    > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q306768
    > >
    > >> A couple of months ago I started having lock ups and system restore
    > >> failed to work although I had downloaded the hotfix as Belarc calls
    > >> it 290700. I ran cwshredder, spybot, adaware, McAfee, etc. etc. etc.
    > >> still no luck and still locking up. Cleaned out the dust to get rid
    > >> of heat problems. Finally redownloaded 290700 for the second time
    > >> and sys restore started working ok. Now a month later it's down
    > >> again. I know when you download it you lose all past restore points.
    > >> So do I do the fix again and any ideas why it quits. Sytem restore
    > >> is set to 1074 MB space as per advised. Temp file space is 10 MB.
    > >> Any help appreciated. Dell 4100, 512 RAM, 40 G

    The only relevant copy of smgr.dll is that in the windows\system folder -
    also this is a file not a folder <g>. Transmgr.dll has nothing whatsoever
    to do with system restore. The size of smgr.dll however wasn't the
    question but rather the version which you've confirmed as being
    4.90.0.3003.

    I'm not clear as to why you mention the file srdiskid.dat. A file with
    this name is present in the _RESTORE folder on each partition on your hard
    disks(s) and contains the enumerated drive letter for the partition. Thus
    the copy in C:\_RESTORE contains the single ascii character "C".

    > knew I would lose all my old restore points but whats the cause

    Well we'll never know since you chose to reset system restore before
    carrying out the tests necessary to determine the cause.
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    "kbsmith9" <kbsmith9@usa.net> wrote ...
    > Jack, still have 30 G space on C:/ Disabled SR, restarted, enabled SR,
    > restarted, created a new test point. Created new folder on desktop. Ran
    > SR,
    > was successful, it removed the folder I created. On a file search for
    > smgr.dll I found 4 identical folders. Three of them were in upper case.
    > All
    > 221 KB. Also TRANSMGR.DLL 168 KB. Version 9.0.0.26 All smgr.dll are
    > version
    > 4.90.0.3003. Reset restore capacity to 10 MB. I have done this before
    > and
    > knew I would lose all my old restore points but whats the cause. I even
    > have
    > 290700 saved in a folder. In msconfig *StateMgr is enabled. Have run
    > scanreg
    > /fix. Belarc confirms 290700. I have this file SRDISKID.dat

    Sorry, I meant file not folder. The only reason I mentioned srdiskid.dat was
    to confirm I had it and it was mentioned to me in another conversation. When
    the puter started locking up I got into this mess. Will just have to wait on
    something else to occur.
    Thank
    Kelly

    "Mike M" wrote:

    > The only relevant copy of smgr.dll is that in the windows\system folder -
    > also this is a file not a folder <g>. Transmgr.dll has nothing whatsoever
    > to do with system restore. The size of smgr.dll however wasn't the
    > question but rather the version which you've confirmed as being
    > 4.90.0.3003.
    >
    > I'm not clear as to why you mention the file srdiskid.dat. A file with
    > this name is present in the _RESTORE folder on each partition on your hard
    > disks(s) and contains the enumerated drive letter for the partition. Thus
    > the copy in C:\_RESTORE contains the single ascii character "C".
    >
    > > knew I would lose all my old restore points but whats the cause
    >
    > Well we'll never know since you chose to reset system restore before
    > carrying out the tests necessary to determine the cause.
    > --
    > Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    > mike.maltby@gmail.com
    >

    > "kbsmith9" <kbsmith9@usa.net> wrote ...
    > > Jack, still have 30 G space on C:/ Disabled SR, restarted, enabled SR,
    > > restarted, created a new test point. Created new folder on desktop. Ran
    > > SR,
    > > was successful, it removed the folder I created. On a file search for
    > > smgr.dll I found 4 identical folders. Three of them were in upper case.
    > > All
    > > 221 KB. Also TRANSMGR.DLL 168 KB. Version 9.0.0.26 All smgr.dll are
    > > version
    > > 4.90.0.3003. Reset restore capacity to 10 MB. I have done this before
    > > and
    > > knew I would lose all my old restore points but whats the cause. I even
    > > have
    > > 290700 saved in a folder. In msconfig *StateMgr is enabled. Have run
    > > scanreg
    > > /fix. Belarc confirms 290700. I have this file SRDISKID.dat

    (you forgot the 'ultimate question' Mike - " which version of Symantec
    Software are you running??"
    <g>)
    I know the OP has indicated McAfee - but I suspect......

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

    http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    > Kelly,
    >
    > What exactly happens when you try to use system restore? How far back is
    > the checkpoint you are trying to restore? What is the version of the file
    > smgr.dll in your windows\system folder (right click on the file, select
    > Properties and look on the Version tab)?
    >
    > You might also want to carry out this quick check:
    > a) Create a shortcut on your desktop to a file.
    > b) Create a manual checkpoint
    > c) Delete the shortcut
    > d) Restore you PC to the checkpoint you created.
    > Was the shortcut restored? Did you see any error messages?
    > --
    > Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    > mike.maltby@gmail.com
    >

    > kbsmith9 <kbsmith9@usa.net> wrote:
    >
    >> A couple of months ago I started having lock ups and system restore
    >> failed to work although I had downloaded the hotfix as Belarc calls
    >> it 290700. I ran cwshredder, spybot, adaware, McAfee, etc. etc. etc.
    >> still no luck and still locking up. Cleaned out the dust to get rid
    >> of heat problems. Finally redownloaded 290700 for the second time and
    >> sys restore started working ok. Now a month later it's down again. I
    >> know when you download it you lose all past restore points. So do I
    >> do the fix again and any ideas why it quits. Sytem restore is set to
    >> 1074 MB space as per advised. Temp file space is 10 MB. Any help
    >> appreciated. Dell 4100, 512 RAM, 40 G

    OK Noel I caught that. I have Norton 2001 but just the utilities. I
    uninstalled the virus scan and Norton is not in the startup menu. Why would
    it wait 4 years to cause problems. I don't have the flu. Only 584 files in my
    INF folder. I run windoctor once in a while. Also it has a program to start
    windows. Uses 1 floppy and 1 zip disk.
    Kelly

    "Noel Paton" wrote:

    > (you forgot the 'ultimate question' Mike - " which version of Symantec
    > Software are you running??"
    > <g>)
    > I know the OP has indicated McAfee - but I suspect......
    >

    > --
    > Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
    >
    > Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    > "Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message
    > > Kelly,
    > >
    > > What exactly happens when you try to use system restore? How far back is
    > > the checkpoint you are trying to restore? What is the version of the file
    > > smgr.dll in your windows\system folder (right click on the file, select
    > > Properties and look on the Version tab)?
    > >
    > > You might also want to carry out this quick check:
    > > a) Create a shortcut on your desktop to a file.
    > > b) Create a manual checkpoint
    > > c) Delete the shortcut
    > > d) Restore you PC to the checkpoint you created.
    > > Was the shortcut restored? Did you see any error messages?
    > > --
    > > Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    > > mike.maltby@gmail.com
    > >

    > > kbsmith9 <kbsmith9@usa.net> wrote:
    > >
    > >> A couple of months ago I started having lock ups and system restore
    > >> failed to work although I had downloaded the hotfix as Belarc calls
    > >> it 290700. I ran cwshredder, spybot, adaware, McAfee, etc. etc. etc.
    > >> still no luck and still locking up. Cleaned out the dust to get rid
    > >> of heat problems. Finally redownloaded 290700 for the second time and
    > >> sys restore started working ok. Now a month later it's down again. I
    > >> know when you download it you lose all past restore points. So do I
    > >> do the fix again and any ideas why it quits. Sytem restore is set to
    > >> 1074 MB space as per advised. Temp file space is 10 MB. Any help
    > >> appreciated. Dell 4100, 512 RAM, 40 G

    Kelly, the problem with any Symantec tool is that its Live Update tool can
    really mess up (on infrequent occasions) and kill your machine.
    I also ran Norton Utilities 2001 for several years successfully under WinME,
    but not now.
    You would do well to forgo the Norton WinDoctor hereafter. (Did you hint
    you were having System Restore problems?)

    However, if you got the Utility Suite for the defragmenter, it is rather
    obsolete now.
    I recommend considering

    1) Raxco's Perfect Disk
    2) Executive Software's Diskeeper

    Review the several version options for each, although I suspect the
    "lite-ess" version is adequate for you.
    These are advanced tools, and you will notice a performance increase,
    following their use over 2-3 weeks, I suspect.

    You didn't mention your current AV tool, so here is where to start to
    consider a better one:

    The Virus Bulletin
    http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/

    ICSA Labs - TrueSecure Corp.
    http://www.icsalabs.com/html/communities/antivirus/certifiedproducts.shtml

    AV-Test
    http://www.av-test.org/
    ------

    Ah, yes, ... did I mention how happy I am that your machine is running
    (OK, and hopefully well), and not DOA, after my recommendation to stop and
    restart System Restore? Mike and Noel would never let me live that down!

    > OK, Noel, I caught that. I have Norton 2001, but just the utilities. I
    > uninstalled the virus scan and Norton is not in the startup menu. Why
    would
    > it wait 4 years to cause problems. I don't have the flu. Only 584 files in
    my
    > INF folder. I run windoctor once in a while. Also it has a program to
    start
    > windows. Uses 1 floppy and 1 zip disk.
    > Kelly

    <SNIP>

    Jack, I was aware that I would lose the old restore points. I've been through
    this before. Maybe I'll dump Norton and see if it helps. I have McAfee on
    line and it seems to work ok. Thanks to all but it will probably will not
    help my lockups. lol
    Kelly

    "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote ...

    > (you forgot the 'ultimate question' Mike - " which version of Symantec
    > Software are you running??"
    > <g>)
    > I know the OP has indicated McAfee - but I suspect......

    VBG
    --
    Mike

    I forgot to answer the question what happened when I tried to use restore.
    Answer was all I got was the message restoration unsucessful. Also in
    windows/system there is a restore folder. Within that folder is stmgr.exe and
    it still says version 4.90.0.2533
    Kelly

    "Mike M" wrote:

    > "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote ...
    >
    > > (you forgot the 'ultimate question' Mike - " which version of Symantec
    > > Software are you running??"
    > > <g>)
    > > I know the OP has indicated McAfee - but I suspect......
    >
    > VBG
    > --
    > Mike

    Kelly,

    I didn't ask about stmgr.exe. The version and location are however
    correct.
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    "kbsmith9" <kbsmith9@usa.net> wrote ...

    >I forgot to answer the question what happened when I tried to use
    >restore.
    > Answer was all I got was the message restoration unsucessful. Also in
    > windows/system there is a restore folder. Within that folder is
    > stmgr.exe and
    > it still says version 4.90.0.2533

    Jack, I continue to use Speed Disk from Utilities 2000. In what way is it
    obsolete? I run Diskeeper in XP but I don't find myself wanting more than
    what I already have in 9x.

    Shane

    > Kelly, the problem with any Symantec tool is that its Live Update tool
    can
    > really mess up (on infrequent occasions) and kill your machine.
    > I also ran Norton Utilities 2001 for several years successfully under
    WinME,
    > but not now.
    > You would do well to forgo the Norton WinDoctor hereafter. (Did you hint
    > you were having System Restore problems?)
    >
    > However, if you got the Utility Suite for the defragmenter, it is rather
    > obsolete now.
    > I recommend considering
    >
    > 1) Raxco's Perfect Disk
    > 2) Executive Software's Diskeeper
    >
    > Review the several version options for each, although I suspect the
    > "lite-ess" version is adequate for you.
    > These are advanced tools, and you will notice a performance increase,
    > following their use over 2-3 weeks, I suspect.
    >
    > You didn't mention your current AV tool, so here is where to start to
    > consider a better one:
    >
    > The Virus Bulletin
    > http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/
    >
    > ICSA Labs - TrueSecure Corp.
    > http://www.icsalabs.com/html/communities/antivirus/certifiedproducts.shtml
    >
    > AV-Test
    > http://www.av-test.org/
    > ------
    >
    > Ah, yes, ... did I mention how happy I am that your machine is running
    > (OK, and hopefully well), and not DOA, after my recommendation to stop
    and
    > restart System Restore? Mike and Noel would never let me live that down!

    > In Memorium: Alex Nichol
    > Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    > ------
    > "kbsmith9" <kbsmith9@usa.net> wrote in message
    > > OK, Noel, I caught that. I have Norton 2001, but just the utilities. I
    > > uninstalled the virus scan and Norton is not in the startup menu. Why
    > would
    > > it wait 4 years to cause problems. I don't have the flu. Only 584 files
    in
    > my
    > > INF folder. I run windoctor once in a while. Also it has a program to
    > start
    > > windows. Uses 1 floppy and 1 zip disk.
    > > Kelly
    > >
    > <SNIP>

    Shane, I can't speak exactly to any "obsoleteness", but I would hope that
    improvements to the defrag process have been made since ca. 1999.
    ------

    OTH, I found this report just now ...

    Norton Speed Disk Surpasses Diskeeper In NSTL Tests
    Speed Disk Offers Significant Application Performance Gains, Lower
    Optimization Times Than Competitor

    CUPERTINO, Calif. - March 22, 2000 -- Symantec Corp. (Nasdaq: SYMC) today
    announced that Norton Speed Disk 5.0 outperformed Executive Software's
    Diskeeper 5.0 in independent lab tests conducted by NSTL, the leading
    independent hardware and software testing organization for the computer
    industry. According to the results released by NSTL, in this set of tests
    Speed Disk was not only more consistent at improving application performance
    than was Diskeeper, but Speed Disk optimizations were also significantly
    faster.
    http://www.symantec.com/press/2000/n000322b.html

    N.B As of June 2005, the current version of Diskeeper is 9.0, not the 5.0
    above, ca. March 2000.
    http://www1.execsoft.com/pdf/Diskeeper_Evaluation.pdf
    ---

    And the list of praises for Raxco's Perfect Disk 7.0 is impressive:
    http://www.raxco.com/new/news_articles.cfm
    ----

    This is another place where we truly miss Alex Nichol, as he was expert in
    this area.
    He was the first to bring Raxco to my attention. It works fine under XP for
    me.
    "Shane" <thesunhasgothish@on.hiphiphooray> wrote in message
    > Jack, I continue to use Speed Disk from Utilities 2000. In what way is it
    > obsolete? I run Diskeeper in XP but I don't find myself wanting more than
    > what I already have in 9x.
    >

    > Shane

    <SNIP>

Microsoft System Restore Windows