Partition size

I plan to fdisk and format to do a clean install of Win XP Home. I have a
40 gig drive and am wondering what would be a acceptable size for the
primary partition? I plan to use the other partition as data storage and
the primary would hold the OS and programs. I back up all data and save
large files to CD disk. All I would store there are the usual Word and
Excel files plus accounting data, and the occasional bmp or jpg.

Thanks,

Bart
22 answers Last reply
More about partition size

    Bart,

    Probably a question best asked in a NG supporting XP but since you asked
    ..... In my case I am using 8GB partitions for all my XP systems but note
    that I relocate the following objects to other partitions:
    a) pagefile
    b) Temp (both user and system) and Temporary Internet Folders
    c) Desktop,
    d) My Documents
    e) Outlook Express message store.

    With fairly well endowed systems in terms of software (Office Enterprise
    plus extras, WordPerfect, PhotoPaint, Adobe Premiere, Sound Forge, etc.)
    and with the SR archive set to 500MB I tend to use around 4GB of my system
    partitions.
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    "Bart" <bsmart@nospamnet.invalid> wrote ...

    > I plan to fdisk and format to do a clean install of Win XP Home. I have
    > 40 gig drive and am wondering what would be a acceptable size for the
    > primary partition? I plan to use the other partition as data storage
    > and
    > the primary would hold the OS and programs. I back up all data and save
    > large files to CD disk. All I would store there are the usual Word and
    > Excel files plus accounting data, and the occasional bmp or jpg.
    >
    > Thanks,

    Very little of actual, realistic additional use can be added to Mike's
    recommendations.

    FWIW, Consider three partitions for the 40 GB HD: 1) OS & programs; 2)
    personal data; 3) backup files and images.
    Then you can easily and quickly backup the OS/programs and the personal data
    to one image, stored on the backup partition.
    Ditto for copying personal data files in the native format.
    Then copy the backup files, and/or images, to whatever additional media you
    desire. It could be a second HD or any removable media or any external
    storage.

    Consider how long you wish to preserve the files before choosing a media.
    Eg., flash memory is not the best choice for your child's first year
    photos!
    ----

    Partition planning

    http://www.aumha.org/a/parts.htm
    http://badour.freewebsites.com/html/partitions.html
    http://www.newlogic.co.uk/kbase/fdisk/page1.htm
    http://www2.cajun.net/~theriots/blk/dual_boot/share_part.htm
    --
    Best of Luck,
    Rick Rogers aka "Nutcase"

    In Memorium: Alex Nichol
    Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    ------
    > Bart,
    >
    > Probably a question best asked in a NG supporting XP but since you asked
    > .... In my case I am using 8GB partitions for all my XP systems but note
    > that I relocate the following objects to other partitions:
    > a) pagefile
    > b) Temp (both user and system) and Temporary Internet Folders
    > c) Desktop,
    > d) My Documents
    > e) Outlook Express message store.
    >
    > With fairly well endowed systems in terms of software (Office Enterprise
    > plus extras, WordPerfect, PhotoPaint, Adobe Premiere, Sound Forge, etc.)
    > and with the SR archive set to 500MB I tend to use around 4GB of my system
    > partitions.
    > --
    > Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    > mike.maltby@gmail.com
    >

    > "Bart" <bsmart@nospamnet.invalid> wrote ...
    >
    > > I plan to fdisk and format to do a clean install of Win XP Home. I have
    > > 40 gig drive and am wondering what would be a acceptable size for the
    > > primary partition? I plan to use the other partition as data storage
    > > and
    > > the primary would hold the OS and programs. I back up all data and save
    > > large files to CD disk. All I would store there are the usual Word and
    > > Excel files plus accounting data, and the occasional bmp or jpg.
    > >
    > > Thanks,

    Thanks, Jack and to Mike as well! I would think that managing your HHD's
    partitions such as you suggested would be applicable to any OS. I believe I
    will go the tri-route and set a discipline that allows me to have secure
    backups in the event that the unimaginable happens! Thanks again.

    Bart

    > Very little of actual, realistic additional use can be added to Mike's
    > recommendations.
    >
    > FWIW, Consider three partitions for the 40 GB HD: 1) OS & programs; 2)
    > personal data; 3) backup files and images.
    > Then you can easily and quickly backup the OS/programs and the personal
    data
    > to one image, stored on the backup partition.
    > Ditto for copying personal data files in the native format.
    > Then copy the backup files, and/or images, to whatever additional media
    you
    > desire. It could be a second HD or any removable media or any external
    > storage.
    >
    > Consider how long you wish to preserve the files before choosing a media.
    > Eg., flash memory is not the best choice for your child's first year
    > photos!
    > ----
    >
    > Partition planning
    >
    > http://www.aumha.org/a/parts.htm
    > http://badour.freewebsites.com/html/partitions.html
    > http://www.newlogic.co.uk/kbase/fdisk/page1.htm
    > http://www2.cajun.net/~theriots/blk/dual_boot/share_part.htm
    > --
    > Best of Luck,
    > Rick Rogers aka "Nutcase"
    > Associate Expert - Windows XP

    > In Memorium: Alex Nichol
    > Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    > ------
    > "Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message
    > > Bart,
    > >
    > > Probably a question best asked in a NG supporting XP but since you asked
    > > .... In my case I am using 8GB partitions for all my XP systems but
    note
    > > that I relocate the following objects to other partitions:
    > > a) pagefile
    > > b) Temp (both user and system) and Temporary Internet Folders
    > > c) Desktop,
    > > d) My Documents
    > > e) Outlook Express message store.
    > >
    > > With fairly well endowed systems in terms of software (Office Enterprise
    > > plus extras, WordPerfect, PhotoPaint, Adobe Premiere, Sound Forge, etc.)
    > > and with the SR archive set to 500MB I tend to use around 4GB of my
    system
    > > partitions.
    > > --
    > > Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    > > mike.maltby@gmail.com
    > >

    > > "Bart" <bsmart@nospamnet.invalid> wrote ...
    > >
    > > > I plan to fdisk and format to do a clean install of Win XP Home. I
    have
    > > > 40 gig drive and am wondering what would be a acceptable size for the
    > > > primary partition? I plan to use the other partition as data storage
    > > > and
    > > > the primary would hold the OS and programs. I back up all data and
    save
    > > > large files to CD disk. All I would store there are the usual Word
    and
    > > > Excel files plus accounting data, and the occasional bmp or jpg.
    > > >
    > > > Thanks,

    Bart wrote: "... set a discipline that allows me to have secure
    backups in the event that the unimaginable happens! "

    Then consider adding a second, fast hard drive and keeping the "Backup"
    partition on it, in the event the primary drive fails, as it certainly will
    some day. Copies of the stores can be made to removable media.

    You might be interested in a program, Diskeeper, included with the older
    Powerquest Partition Magic 8.0.
    Diskeeper monitors, in real time, all file changes, keeping stores of older
    files for reversion.
    In your case, this reversion store would be keep in the "Backup" partition,
    preferably on the second drive.
    Effect on system performance is minimal.

    N.B. This Powerquest program is not to be confused with the
    identically-named Executive Software's defragmenter, Diskeeper.
    "Bart" <bsmart@nospamnet.invalid> wrote in message
> [...]
    > > ------
    > > "Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message
    > > > Bart,
    > > >
    > > > Probably a question best asked in a NG supporting XP but since you
    asked
    > > > .... In my case I am using 8GB partitions for all my XP systems but
    > note
    > > > that I relocate the following objects to other partitions:
    > > > a) pagefile
    > > > b) Temp (both user and system) and Temporary Internet Folders
    > > > c) Desktop,
    > > > d) My Documents
    > > > e) Outlook Express message store.
    > > >
    > > > With fairly well endowed systems in terms of software (Office
    Enterprise
    > > > plus extras, WordPerfect, PhotoPaint, Adobe Premiere, Sound Forge,
    etc.)
    > > > and with the SR archive set to 500MB I tend to use around 4GB of my

    Bart,

    Just a small clarification of my earlier post. When I said "In my case I
    am using 8GB partitions for all my XP systems" I meant to say 8GB for my
    SYSTEM partitions. This particular box for example has four hard disks
    totalling around 600GB including two 200GB sata drives each of which
    contains a single data partition (used for video and audio work). It is
    only my system and scratch partitions that I keep small. The scratch
    partition is on a different disk to the system partition and contains my
    Temp & TIF folders as well as paging file.
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    "Bart" <bsmart@nospamnet.invalid> wrote ...

    > Thanks, Jack and to Mike as well! I would think that managing your
    > HHD's
    > partitions such as you suggested would be applicable to any OS. I
    > believe I
    > will go the tri-route and set a discipline that allows me to have secure
    > backups in the event that the unimaginable happens! Thanks again.

    With respect, Jack - if the second HD is to be used solely for
    backup/restore purposes - does it really need to be 'fast'??

    IMHO, I'd rather have 'reliable' than 'fast' for this purpose - as I can
    schedule backups for downtime, and if the worst happens and I need a
    restore, then I ain't too fussy about how long it takes!<g>

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

    http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

> [...]
    >> you
    >> > desire. It could be a second HD or any removable media or any external
    >> > storage.
    >> >
    >> > Consider how long you wish to preserve the files before choosing a
    > media.
    >> > Eg., flash memory is not the best choice for your child's first year
    >> > photos!
    >> > ----
    >> >
    >> > Partition planning
    >> >
    >> > http://www.aumha.org/a/parts.htm
    >> > http://badour.freewebsites.com/html/partitions.html
    >> > http://www.newlogic.co.uk/kbase/fdisk/page1.htm
    >> > http://www2.cajun.net/~theriots/blk/dual_boot/share_part.htm
    >> > --
    >> > Best of Luck,
    >> > Rick Rogers aka "Nutcase"
    >> > Associate Expert - Windows XP
    >> >
    >> > --
    >> > Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User / DTS

    You got your card fixed then <g>
    Joan

    Noel Paton wrote:
    > With respect, Jack - if the second HD is to be used solely for
    > backup/restore purposes - does it really need to be 'fast'??
    >snip>

    Hi, Jack,

    The application that's included with PM 8 for backups is Datakeeper 5.0.
    I've been using for a while for backups. I don't use the real-time
    function but have tried it, and it works nicely. Overall, it's a very
    easy to use application. It's also bailed me out on a couple of
    occasions when I've lost some data files. ;)

    Tom

    Jack E Martinelli wrote:
    > Bart wrote: "... set a discipline that allows me to have secure
    > backups in the event that the unimaginable happens! "
    >
    > Then consider adding a second, fast hard drive and keeping the "Backup"
    > partition on it, in the event the primary drive fails, as it certainly will
    > some day. Copies of the stores can be made to removable media.
    >
    > You might be interested in a program, Diskeeper, included with the older
    > Powerquest Partition Magic 8.0.
    > Diskeeper monitors, in real time, all file changes, keeping stores of older
    > files for reversion.
    > In your case, this reversion store would be keep in the "Backup" partition,
    > preferably on the second drive.
    > Effect on system performance is minimal.
    >
    > N.B. This Powerquest program is not to be confused with the
    > identically-named Executive Software's defragmenter, Diskeeper.

    How about a partition for the OS, ME or XP, a partition for applications, a
    partition for data and a partition for backup files? Like maybe a
    10-10-10-10 or a 5-15-10-10? I have the 40 gig and have roughly 31 gig as
    free space. Can that scenario work?

> [...]

    > > and with the SR archive set to 500MB I tend to use around 4GB of my
    system
    > > partitions.
    > > --
    > > Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    > > mike.maltby@gmail.com
    > >

    > > "Bart" <bsmart@nospamnet.invalid> wrote ...
    > >
    > > > I plan to fdisk and format to do a clean install of Win XP Home. I
    have
    > > > 40 gig drive and am wondering what would be a acceptable size for the
    > > > primary partition? I plan to use the other partition as data storage
    > > > and
    > > > the primary would hold the OS and programs. I back up all data and
    save
    > > > large files to CD disk. All I would store there are the usual Word
    and
    > > > Excel files plus accounting data, and the occasional bmp or jpg.

    If you plan on backing up the OS, it may be better to keep the apps on
    the same volume as the OS. If you restore the OS backup, whatever apps
    were installed post-backup will usually have to be reinstalled. If you
    plan on dual booting, then there is some argument for putting apps on
    a seperate volume so that the OSs can "share" some apps. ButFWIW, I've
    got apps on a seperate volume, for this reason, and find it to be more
    of a PITA than anything useful.

    I think your idea of a separate volume for "data" is a good. In my
    case I've subdivided data furthur and put "media data" on it's own big
    volume. This one I don't back up as much, and having it seperate from
    other personal and business data(the important stuff), makes backing up
    "data" easier (which means I'm more inclined to do it ;) and is a smaller
    image footprint.

    If you use a partitioning program that can resize, you might also consider
    leaving unallocated disk space between partitions. You're going to find
    some volumes filling up faster than others, and having some space to
    move around makes it a lot easier to resize.

    "Bart" <bsmart@nospamnet.invalid> wrote in message news:11a4bn4pcar02af@corp.supernews.com...

> [...]
    >> Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    >> ------
    >> "Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message
    >> > Bart,
    >> >
    >> > Probably a question best asked in a NG supporting XP but since you asked
    >> > .... In my case I am using 8GB partitions for all my XP systems but
    > note
    >> > that I relocate the following objects to other partitions:
    >> > a) pagefile
    >> > b) Temp (both user and system) and Temporary Internet Folders
    >> > c) Desktop,
    >> > d) My Documents
    >> > e) Outlook Express message store.
    >> >
    >> > With fairly well endowed systems in terms of software (Office Enterprise
    >> > plus extras, WordPerfect, PhotoPaint, Adobe Premiere, Sound Forge, etc.)
    >> > and with the SR archive set to 500MB I tend to use around 4GB of my

    Generic partitioning recommendation for WindowsME with 1 hard disk.

    -------------------
    C: 2 GB FAT16

    OS, Core and "Keeper" Programs

    -------------------
    D: 2 GB FAT16 (or FAT32 with a 8-16k cluster size depending how big you
    keep your IE Temp)

    Swap (large, fixed Minimum)
    Spool
    TEMP
    IE Temp, Cookies
    Usenet DBs
    Downloads (initial) folder
    New Program Testing

    --------------------
    E: 4 GB FAT32 Max cluster Size

    Updates
    Drivers
    Technical docs
    Bootfloppy images, DOS Utility programs
    Logs
    Downloaded "Keeper" program copies
    Tech Bookmarks
    Technical Notes
    Configuration Notes

    ---------------------
    F: x GB FAT32 Medium cluster size

    E-Mail
    Mail/News "Local" folders
    IE History, Personal Bookmarks
    Recent
    Desktop
    "My Computer"

    ----------------------
    G: x GB FAT32 Maximum cluster size

    Large MP3s/Videos,
    Reference collections
    CD Images
    Programs too large to put on C:
    F:/G: backups (zipped)

    -----------------------

    Advantages:

    Very robust...

    C: can be easily rebuilt from original media and E: (and pointers to F:)

    D: can be defragged or simply reformatted and structurally rebuilt from
    a floppy boot .bat. The other partitions defrag very fast because
    almost all the ephemeral and dynamic files are on D:

    E: is "one stop shopping" for technical files and is easily backed
    up/restored to/from G: or offline

    F: is "one stop shopping" for personal files and is easily backed
    up/restored to/from G: or offline

    Disadvantages:

    Lots of partitions could be confusing to some people.

    I've mulled over the "separate Programs partition" issue and I think it
    mostly depends on the size/number of non-OS-core programs; for myself
    the small number of programs I regularly use doesn't IMHO warrant a
    separate partition; the testing area is on D: and the small utility
    programs are on E: anyways.

    Wish I could get the registry files off of C:, though.

    Rick

    Is that Bill Blanton of ScanDefrag fame? Gladtameetcha and thankyou.

    "Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message news:Ou09F4saFHA.2212@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...

    > Generic partitioning recommendation for WindowsME with 1 hard disk.

    I do similar, spread across 2 drives, but of course somewhat different.

    > -------------------
    > C: 2 GB FAT16
    >
    > OS, Core and "Keeper" Programs
    >
    > -------------------
    > D: 2 GB FAT16 (or FAT32 with a 8-16k cluster size depending how big you keep your IE Temp)
    >
    > Swap (large, fixed Minimum)
    > Spool
    > TEMP
    > IE Temp, Cookies
    > Usenet DBs
    > Downloads (initial) folder
    > New Program Testing
    >
    > --------------------
    > E: 4 GB FAT32 Max cluster Size
    >
    > Updates
    > Drivers
    > Technical docs
    > Bootfloppy images, DOS Utility programs
    > Logs
    > Downloaded "Keeper" program copies
    > Tech Bookmarks
    > Technical Notes
    > Configuration Notes
    >
    > ---------------------
    > F: x GB FAT32 Medium cluster size
    >
    > E-Mail
    > Mail/News "Local" folders
    > IE History, Personal Bookmarks
    > Recent
    > Desktop
    > "My Computer"
    >
    > ----------------------
    > G: x GB FAT32 Maximum cluster size
    >
    > Large MP3s/Videos,
    > Reference collections
    > CD Images
    > Programs too large to put on C:
    > F:/G: backups (zipped)
    >
    > -----------------------
    >
    > Advantages:
    >
    > Very robust...
    >
    > C: can be easily rebuilt from original media and E: (and pointers to F:)
    >
    > D: can be defragged or simply reformatted and structurally rebuilt from a floppy boot .bat. The other partitions defrag very fast
    > because almost all the ephemeral and dynamic files are on D:

    Yep. And the Windows OS volume doesn't have to be defragged as often.

    I have a "%temp% volume also very much like yours. Add "Recent" and "History".
    Minus "Spool" and "usenet". How did you manage to relocate the spool? I didn't
    know that was possible.

    > E: is "one stop shopping" for technical files and is easily backed up/restored to/from G: or offline
    >
    > F: is "one stop shopping" for personal files and is easily backed up/restored to/from G: or offline
    >

    > Disadvantages:
    >
    > Lots of partitions could be confusing to some people.
    >

    > I've mulled over the "separate Programs partition" issue and I think it mostly depends on the size/number of non-OS-core programs;
    > for myself the small number of programs I regularly use doesn't IMHO warrant a separate partition; the testing area is on D: and
    > the small utility programs are on E: anyways.
    >
    > Wish I could get the registry files off of C:, though.

    Hm. I can see why, but don't know how practical that would be. A drive
    letter shift in the host volume would render Windows unbootable. If using
    NT/NTFS it could be a potential nightmare.

    > Rick
    >
    > Is that Bill Blanton of ScanDefrag fame? Gladtameetcha and thankyou.

    Yep..'tis I .. glad to meet you too Rick T of ME.
    :)

    Two drives are definitely better... problem (if you can call it that) is
    that a new drive is not only larger but faster, so you're tempted to put
    everything on it (except archives) or at least both OS Core and Swap
    even though they should be on separate drives.

    I'm not sure I have/had a system spooler on my "ephemerals" volume; been
    a couple years since I put this stuff down "on paper" and occasionally I
    get brainfarts from other OSes.

    I'll definitely grant you that having the registries on another volume
    doubles your chances of borking the system for a specific type of system
    failure, but an unanticipated volume letter assignment change would just
    require an (hypothetical) .ini or config.sys entry change to recover.

    Can't ever get it perfect though; M$ et al. rarely cooperate enough.

    Rick

    I don't think 2GB is really sufficient for Win ME if you want to be sure
    System Restore keeps working, as it requires 300MB free space. Personally, I
    think it becomes more effort than it's worth maintaining that low a
    partition size in ME. 3GB is thus better, but 4GB ideal if you just don't
    want to think about it.

    Shane

    Shane wrote:
    > I don't think 2GB is really sufficient for Win ME if you want to be sure
    > System Restore keeps working, as it requires 300MB free space. Personally, I
    > think it becomes more effort than it's worth maintaining that low a
    > partition size in ME. 3GB is thus better, but 4GB ideal if you just don't
    > want to think about it.

    WinME with 400MB SR (which is another thing I'd like to move off the OS
    static partition) will fit into 2GB quite comfortably; if you throw in
    Office, maybe not.

    Benefit of 2GB is you can use FAT16 (I'm going to get toasted for this,
    I know) with a maxed out sector size, which should make disk accesses
    faster than the equivalent in FAT32.

    Rick

    > Shane
    >

    > "Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Two drives are definitely better... problem (if you can call it that) is
    >>that a new drive is not only larger but faster, so you're tempted to put
    >>everything on it (except archives) or at least both OS Core and Swap
    >>even though they should be on separate drives.
    >>
    >>I'm not sure I have/had a system spooler on my "ephemerals" volume; been
    >>a couple years since I put this stuff down "on paper" and occasionally I
    >>get brainfarts from other OSes.
    >>
    >>I'll definitely grant you that having the registries on another volume
    >>doubles your chances of borking the system for a specific type of system
    >>failure, but an unanticipated volume letter assignment change would just
    >>require an (hypothetical) .ini or config.sys entry change to recover.
    >>
    >>Can't ever get it perfect though; M$ et al. rarely cooperate enough.
    >>

    >>Rick

    I ain't gonna toast ya! - but flamed you is goin' ta get!!

    There is NO F&77&ing way that any self-respecting person should EVER be
    running Win ME on a FAT16 system!!!

    File Management is shot - VM is dead in the water, and any hope of realistic
    access times is DOA.

    MS was way too lenient when they allowed ME to get installed onto a FAT16
    system - they should have insisted on slash-and-burn!!

    --

    > Shane wrote:
    >> I don't think 2GB is really sufficient for Win ME if you want to be sure
    >> System Restore keeps working, as it requires 300MB free space.
    >> Personally, I
    >> think it becomes more effort than it's worth maintaining that low a
    >> partition size in ME. 3GB is thus better, but 4GB ideal if you just don't
    >> want to think about it.
    >
    > WinME with 400MB SR (which is another thing I'd like to move off the OS
    > static partition) will fit into 2GB quite comfortably; if you throw in
    > Office, maybe not.
    >
    > Benefit of 2GB is you can use FAT16 (I'm going to get toasted for this, I
    > know) with a maxed out sector size, which should make disk accesses faster
    > than the equivalent in FAT32.
    >

    > Rick
    >

    >> Shane
    >>

    >> "Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Two drives are definitely better... problem (if you can call it that) is
    >>>that a new drive is not only larger but faster, so you're tempted to put
    >>>everything on it (except archives) or at least both OS Core and Swap
    >>>even though they should be on separate drives.
    >>>
    >>>I'm not sure I have/had a system spooler on my "ephemerals" volume; been
    >>>a couple years since I put this stuff down "on paper" and occasionally I
    >>>get brainfarts from other OSes.
    >>>
    >>>I'll definitely grant you that having the registries on another volume
    >>>doubles your chances of borking the system for a specific type of system
    >>>failure, but an unanticipated volume letter assignment change would just
    >>>require an (hypothetical) .ini or config.sys entry change to recover.
    >>>
    >>>Can't ever get it perfect though; M$ et al. rarely cooperate enough.
    >>>

    >>>Rick

  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    > Shane wrote:
    > > I don't think 2GB is really sufficient for Win ME if you want to be sure
    > > System Restore keeps working, as it requires 300MB free space.
    Personally, I
    > > think it becomes more effort than it's worth maintaining that low a
    > > partition size in ME. 3GB is thus better, but 4GB ideal if you just
    don't
    > > want to think about it.
    >
    > WinME with 400MB SR (which is another thing I'd like to move off the OS
    > static partition) will fit into 2GB quite comfortably; if you throw in
    > Office, maybe not.

    Yeah, but I'm not talking about the size of the SR archive, I'm talking
    about the fact once you go below 300MB free space SR turns itself off -
    flushing your archive in the process. So really you're looking at keeping
    the size of Win ME below 1.3GB and that's getting a bit tight. Maybe OK if
    you don't mind that kind of vigilence - or you don't mind losing your
    restore points.

    I used to have Office installed on a partition other than C.

    > Benefit of 2GB is you can use FAT16 (I'm going to get toasted for this,
    > I know) with a maxed out sector size, which should make disk accesses
    > faster than the equivalent in FAT32.

    Each to their own. I rode past the museum this evening and there's a Harrier
    in the car park! Basically the one aircraft - bar maybe a microlite - that
    can still land there.

    Shane
  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Noel Paton wrote:
    > I ain't gonna toast ya! - but flamed you is goin' ta get!!

    <g>

    > There is NO F&77&ing way that any self-respecting person should EVER be
    > running Win ME on a FAT16 system!!!
    >
    > File Management is shot - VM is dead in the water, and any hope of realistic
    > access times is DOA.

    never had any problems and my frugal nature keeps me from using a 32-bit
    pointer when a 16-bit will do.

    Though I gotta wonder why FM and VM are kaput (and what you mean by
    those terms too)

    Rick

    > MS was way too lenient when they allowed ME to get installed onto a FAT16
    > system - they should have insisted on slash-and-burn!!

  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Shane wrote:

    > Yeah, but I'm not talking about the size of the SR archive, I'm talking
    > about the fact once you go below 300MB free space SR turns itself off -
    > flushing your archive in the process. So really you're looking at keeping
    > the size of Win ME below 1.3GB and that's getting a bit tight. Maybe OK if
    > you don't mind that kind of vigilence - or you don't mind losing your
    > restore points.

    I really am gonna use SR next time I install WinME... no, really.

    > Each to their own. I rode past the museum this evening and there's a Harrier
    > in the car park! Basically the one aircraft - bar maybe a microlite - that
    > can still land there.

    LOL, now *that's* commuting. I gotta drive an hour'n'half to see
    anything interesting in one piece (on my todo list is flying lessons in
    a tigermoth).

    Rick

    > Shane

  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    > I really am gonna use SR next time I install WinME... no, really.

    There are other reasons than SR to use ME rather than 98 - SFP, mostly. But
    maybe someone who wants suggestions for partition sizes is more likely to
    benefit from an SR that works? Just a thought......

    >> Each to their own. I rode past the museum this evening and there's a
    >> Harrier
    >> in the car park! Basically the one aircraft - bar maybe a microlite -
    >> that
    >> can still land there.
    >
    > LOL, now *that's* commuting. I gotta drive an hour'n'half to see anything
    > interesting in one piece (on my todo list is flying lessons in a
    > tigermoth).

    Just came by and it's gone :-(

    Shane
  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Shane wrote:
    >>I really am gonna use SR next time I install WinME... no, really.
    >>

    > There are other reasons than SR to use ME rather than 98 - SFP, mostly. But
    > maybe someone who wants suggestions for partition sizes is more likely to
    > benefit from an SR that works? Just a thought......
    >

    >>>Each to their own. I rode past the museum this evening and there's a
    >>>Harrier
    >>>in the car park! Basically the one aircraft - bar maybe a microlite -
    >>>that
    >>>can still land there.
    >>
    >>LOL, now *that's* commuting. I gotta drive an hour'n'half to see anything
    >>interesting in one piece (on my todo list is flying lessons in a
    >>tigermoth).

    > Just came by and it's gone :-(

    They're out delivering my pizza... (30 seconds or free)

    Rick

    > Shane

  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    > Shane wrote:
    > >>I really am gonna use SR next time I install WinME... no, really.
    > >>

    > > There are other reasons than SR to use ME rather than 98 - SFP, mostly.
    But
    > > maybe someone who wants suggestions for partition sizes is more likely
    > > benefit from an SR that works? Just a thought......

    > >>LOL, now *that's* commuting. I gotta drive an hour'n'half to see
    anything
    > >>interesting in one piece (on my todo list is flying lessons in a
    > >>tigermoth).
    >
    > > Just came by and it's gone :-(
    >
    > They're out delivering my pizza... (30 seconds or free)

    LOL.

    Shane

Partition Windows