I will never buy another. The last two were unstable as could be.

What is the fastest STABLE mobo??

Thanks

The new DFI Nf4 Boards are really nice. I have the SLI DR and it overclocks
very well.

"dancer" <dancerjen@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>I will never buy another. The last two were unstable as could be.
>
> What is the fastest STABLE mobo??
>
> Thanks

"dancer" <dancerjen@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> I will never buy another. The last two were unstable as could be.
>
> What is the fastest STABLE mobo??
>
> Thanks

Which socket?

jad

if you can't get a stable system with Asus your going to have a hard time no
matter what.
Rant...with no usable information.

"JAD" <kapasitor@earthcharter.net> wrote in message
> if you can't get a stable system with Asus your going to have a hard time
no
> matter what.
> Rant...with no usable information.

I don't know about that. It seems to me as if Asus is definitely going
downhill as of late. -Dave

jad

well I suppose that any NEWEST FASTEST has its downfalls no matter the
brand. I have to say however, you could do WAY worse than Asus when buying
with this motivation.

"Dave C." <mdupre@sff.net> wrote in message

> "JAD" <kapasitor@earthcharter.net> wrote in message
> > if you can't get a stable system with Asus your going to have a hard
time
> no
> > matter what.
> > Rant...with no usable information.
> >

> I don't know about that. It seems to me as if Asus is definitely going
> downhill as of late. -Dave

tonyc

Overclocks how well? What gear you got? I might get one of those DFI NF4's
myself, soooon.

Dave C. wrote:

> I don't know about that. It seems to me as if Asus is definitely going
> downhill as of late.

Last Asus board I bought was a P4P800-E Deluxe, and it's the best board I've
ever installed. I've installed a Gigabyte, Asus, Soyo, and 2 MSI boards.
That Asus gave me the fewest headaches getting everything recognized and
working, setting up the BIOS, and never griped about anything. Of course,
as usual, I put it in an Antec case with an Antec PSU, and used quality
Corsair memory, and top notch hardware throughout.

--

Registered Linux user #378193

rhys

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2002

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 21:51:14 -0500, Ruel Smith <NoWay@NoWhere.com>
wrote:

>Dave C. wrote:
>
>> I don't know about that. It seems to me as if Asus is definitely going
>> downhill as of late.
>
>Last Asus board I bought was a P4P800-E Deluxe, and it's the best board I've
>ever installed. I've installed a Gigabyte, Asus, Soyo, and 2 MSI boards.
>That Asus gave me the fewest headaches getting everything recognized and
>working, setting up the BIOS, and never griped about anything. Of course,
>as usual, I put it in an Antec case with an Antec PSU, and used quality
>Corsair memory, and top notch hardware throughout.

Hmm..you may just be on to something, there.

Had three ASUS boards, two of them dual CPUs working hot for months on
end. No complaints.

So they would have to have gotten seriously stinky in the last three
years---which maybe they have, but I'd need to hear more than
bitching--before I would hesitate to buy a new one for my new build in
six months or so.

R.

rhys wrote:

> Had three ASUS boards, two of them dual CPUs working hot for months on
> end. No complaints.
>
> So they would have to have gotten seriously stinky in the last three
> years---which maybe they have, but I'd need to hear more than
> bitching--before I would hesitate to buy a new one for my new build in
> six months or so.

I've been wanting to build a new box, and the lure of 64 bits and upcoming
dual core certainly is appealing. However, current CPU speeds haven't
really eclipsed my 2.6 Northwood enough to really warrant spending the
money. I guess I'll see when the dual cores come out and how much money
it'll hit me for before I build again.

--

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 16:21:49 -0500, Ruel Smith <NoWay@NoWhere.com>
wrote:

>I've been wanting to build a new box, and the lure of 64 bits and upcoming
>dual core certainly is appealing. However, current CPU speeds haven't
>really eclipsed my 2.6 Northwood enough to really warrant spending the
>money. I guess I'll see when the dual cores come out and how much money
>it'll hit me for before I build again.

Now you know why I still have a tricked-out four-year-old tower. If
you don't game (and it handles Quake III just fine, even so), and if
you run W2K with 1-5 year-old graphics apps, there's not a compelling
reason to go to the newest machines. I have a 2003 P4 Dell Inspiron XP
SP2 laptop, and it's not any faster than the 2001 machine.

The advances, to make sense to me, have to happen in concert:
dual-core processors, proper cooling architecture (BTX? maybe!),
maxed-out bus speeds, super-fast RAM, and 64-bit SOLID operating
systems that have TESTED drivers for optimized, recompiled
applications of the kind I use every day. I still use Photoshop 5 for
batch file processing and later versions for "fine" work, because the
processor overhead is much lower for PS 5 and like Pagemaker and
InDesign and W2K itself, they can multi-thread the dual PIIIs I run in
a full tower.

At this rate, I can't consider going to 64-bit dual core "God boxes"
with SATA drives and such until a year after it goes gold and the
software writers get beyond "Version One" bugfests.

If my 2001 rig dies, I would probably get a dual Xeon or Opteron,
which will be a lot cheaper when new CPUs and the new XP64 comes out.

If I could find Linux versions of my graphics and layout apps, I would
have gone RedHat or Mandrake ages ago and left the MS world entirely
as I don't give a rat's ass for the "interface" and the evolutionary
and security kludges and compromises that still litter the OS.

R.

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 23:12:48 -0500, dancer wrote
(in article <HGzQd.708$lI2.196@bignews5.bellsouth.net>):

> I will never buy another. The last two were unstable as could be.
>
> What is the fastest STABLE mobo??
>
> Thanks

I dropped ASUS in favor of GigaByte. I'm pretty happy thus far.

rhys wrote:

> Now you know why I still have a tricked-out four-year-old tower. If
> you don't game (and it handles Quake III just fine, even so), and if
> you run W2K with 1-5 year-old graphics apps, there's not a compelling
> reason to go to the newest machines. I have a 2003 P4 Dell Inspiron XP
> SP2 laptop, and it's not any faster than the 2001 machine.

Agreed. My Athlon XP 2800+ Linux machine is a rocket, since I don't do any
3D and do basic computing tasks with it. I only have a Radeon 9600 card in
it.

> The advances, to make sense to me, have to happen in concert:
> dual-core processors, proper cooling architecture (BTX? maybe!),
> maxed-out bus speeds, super-fast RAM, and 64-bit SOLID operating
> systems that have TESTED drivers for optimized, recompiled
> applications of the kind I use every day. I still use Photoshop 5 for
> batch file processing and later versions for "fine" work, because the
> processor overhead is much lower for PS 5 and like Pagemaker and
> InDesign and W2K itself, they can multi-thread the dual PIIIs I run in
> a full tower.

Yeah, and unfortunately, the 64 bit hardware stuff happened waaay too soon
for me. The software just isn't there to take advantage of it and I'm
afraid that if I buy now, when it does finally release and become stable,
the cost of my same hardware will be half of what I would have paid for it.
Therefore, I sit and I wait.

> At this rate, I can't consider going to 64-bit dual core "God boxes"
> with SATA drives and such until a year after it goes gold and the
> software writers get beyond "Version One" bugfests.

SATA is nice if you run a RAID system and have fast drives. I have an ATA133
RAID system with WD Caviar 160GB 8MB drives and he has 80GB Caviar 8MB
disks. His RAID system is somewhat faster. He uses the Intel ICH5R chipset
for his RAID, and I have a Promise onboard controller.

I'm still debating on the dual core thing. Will there be anything that'll
really take advantage of it? Games, maybe. I do game a little, and my P4
system could use a graphics card. However, I'll wait and see just how
effective they are once they're released.

> If my 2001 rig dies, I would probably get a dual Xeon or Opteron,
> which will be a lot cheaper when new CPUs and the new XP64 comes out.
>
> If I could find Linux versions of my graphics and layout apps, I would
> have gone RedHat or Mandrake ages ago and left the MS world entirely
> as I don't give a rat's ass for the "interface" and the evolutionary
> and security kludges and compromises that still litter the OS.

Well, you could download and install The Gimp on your system, and try it out
and get used to it. If you're using Photoshop 5, The Gimp 2.0 or better
should be at least equal in most ways. It just doesn't do some of the more
recent features such as layer styles and such. Then when you're ready, you
can try Linux and use The Gimp.

For page layouts, there's Scribus. I haven't used it much, and can't compare
it to other page layout programs on the Windows side. I've used Quark, but
I'm no pro at it. Likewise, I've only scratched the surface of using
Scribus. However, it does seem pretty powerful. Don't know if it'll save in
a Quark or Pagemaker filetype, which might be necessary if you need to
publish and those filetypes are required.

http://www.gimp.org/
http://www.scribus.org.uk/

As you can see from my signature, I love Linux. I won't say it's for
everyone, but it certainly is for me. For everyday tasks, I use Linux. I
game some in Windows, and I occasionally use Photoshop or something else.
However, 90% of my time is in Linux.

--

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 20:32:00 -0500, Ruel Smith <NoWay@NoWhere.com>
wrote:

I only have a Radeon 9600 card in
>it.

I have a Radeon 8500 in mine, but it's good enough to run a much newer
Viewsonic 19" LCD without flicker and in plenty of colours.

>Yeah, and unfortunately, the 64 bit hardware stuff happened waaay too soon
>for me. The software just isn't there to take advantage of it and I'm
>afraid that if I buy now, when it does finally release and become stable,
>the cost of my same hardware will be half of what I would have paid for it.
>Therefore, I sit and I wait.

Exactly.

>SATA is nice if you run a RAID system and have fast drives. I have an ATA133
>RAID system with WD Caviar 160GB 8MB drives and he has 80GB Caviar 8MB
>disks. His RAID system is somewhat faster. He uses the Intel ICH5R chipset
>for his RAID, and I have a Promise onboard controller.
I have a Promise controller sitting in a box. I suspect this current
box will become a RAID system when I "retire" it in favour of the next
God-box. Right now, I just do timed backups of all data partitions
over a network to a truly antique dual PII (circa 1997) tower stuffed
with mirrored drives.

>I'm still debating on the dual core thing. Will there be anything that'll
>really take advantage of it? Games, maybe. I do game a little, and my P4
>system could use a graphics card. However, I'll wait and see just how
>effective they are once they're released.

I also am not clear of the advantage of dual core vs. dual processor,
although I believe I understand the concept from an architecture and
resources point of view. I am fully committed to dual processors,
though, as they have been a total boon in wringing out the most
processes and threads from my existing hardware. I frequently run
InDesign, Photoshop batches, a peer-to-peer client, a network backup,
E-mail, browser and MP3 playback at the same time (yeah, it's busy
around here, but most people in my business do the same). A single
processor couldn't deal with the number of tasks...even so, I
bluescreen under W2K about twice a week. The box is never off
otherwise.

>Well, you could download and install The Gimp on your system, and try it out
>and get used to it. If you're using Photoshop 5, The Gimp 2.0 or better
>should be at least equal in most ways. It just doesn't do some of the more
>recent features such as layer styles and such. Then when you're ready, you
>can try Linux and use The Gimp.

I know, but my clients use Quark, PageMaker and now InDesign. There's
no migration path that can accommodate me running pure Linux and them
running a Win 2000 office with legacy Win 98 and newer Win XP stuff.
Not that I am aware of.

>For page layouts, there's Scribus. I haven't used it much, and can't compare
>it to other page layout programs on the Windows side. I've used Quark, but
>I'm no pro at it. Likewise, I've only scratched the surface of using
>Scribus. However, it does seem pretty powerful. Don't know if it'll save in
>a Quark or Pagemaker filetype, which might be necessary if you need to
>publish and those filetypes are required.
>
>http://www.gimp.org/
>http://www.scribus.org.uk/

I will look at it, but it's likely it would have to wait until I can
produce a PDF-only workflow, in which case the native layout app won't
be seen by the clients, and so it would just mean decent PDF creation
and editing for the print shop.

>As you can see from my signature, I love Linux. I won't say it's for
>everyone, but it certainly is for me. For everyday tasks, I use Linux. I
>game some in Windows, and I occasionally use Photoshop or something else.
>However, 90% of my time is in Linux.

Nice. I have the OS, and that's about it. I use Open Office, Firefox,
Eudora, Free Agent, Grisoft AVG, the graphics apps and a whack of
utilities, firewall and comm applications....mostly free. Life without
Microsoft's products is...more productive.

Thanks for the thoughts.

R.