Should I notice much improvement if...

Last response: in Systems
Share
February 16, 2005 3:55:42 PM

If I were to replace my ageing Athlon 1.33Ghz with a AthlonXP 3200+
(2.2Ghz)?(http://www.dabs.com/uk/channels/components/processors/p...)

I have a 512MB stick of DDR ram and a 128MB stick and I am using an Aopen
AK77-600GN (http://www.aopen.nl/products/mb/AK77-600GN.htm)

I know absolutely nothing about processors (though I do know a bit about the
actual building of a pc) so please be gentle.

Scott

More about : notice improvement

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
February 16, 2005 3:55:43 PM

Scott wrote:
> If I were to replace my ageing Athlon 1.33Ghz with a AthlonXP 3200+

(2.2Ghz)?(http://www.dabs.com/uk/channels/components/processors/p...)

> I have a 512MB stick of DDR ram and a 128MB stick and I am using an
Aopen
> AK77-600GN (http://www.aopen.nl/products/mb/AK77-600GN.htm)
>
> I know absolutely nothing about processors (though I do know a bit
about the
> actual building of a pc) so please be gentle.
>
> Scott

Yes, I would have thought so. What do you use the machine for though?
If it's only used for the web, word processing, and light games then
there is no point. If the machine does what you want it to do then I'd
just leave it. It will save you money.

If you do upgrade the new processor is going to produce more heat,
about another 7W. It's not a huge amount, but if the current CPU is
running hot, then a new cooler would probably be a good idea.

I upgraded from a Duron 1.1 to an Athlon XP 1700+ (1467MHz) about a
year ago, and to be honest I've barely noticed a difference. I've also
got a 1GHz C3 (slow) processor in my other machine, and it doesn't feel
any slower than my Athlon XP machine. Even when I play Counterstrike
(at high settings) my Althon XP is idle for about 44% of the time. A
lot of people think that the processor is really important, but for
normal use I don't think it is really. Oh, on benchmarks my Athlon XP
was only 1467/1100 times faster than the Duron :-o. So the FSB etc
didn't make any difference to benchmarks!

I would also expect that your motherboard will need a BIOS upgrade to
use the new CPU, but you'd need to check that. 640Mb is plenty of
memory, I only have 512Mb and it's engough for me.
February 16, 2005 5:18:55 PM

<petermcmillan_uk@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Scott wrote:
>> If I were to replace my ageing Athlon 1.33Ghz with a AthlonXP 3200+
>>
> (2.2Ghz)?(http://www.dabs.com/uk/channels/components/processors/p...)
>>
>> I have a 512MB stick of DDR ram and a 128MB stick and I am using an
> Aopen
>> AK77-600GN (http://www.aopen.nl/products/mb/AK77-600GN.htm)
>>
>> I know absolutely nothing about processors (though I do know a bit
> about the
>> actual building of a pc) so please be gentle.
>>
>> Scott
>
> Yes, I would have thought so. What do you use the machine for though?
> If it's only used for the web, word processing, and light games then
> there is no point. If the machine does what you want it to do then I'd
> just leave it. It will save you money.
>
> If you do upgrade the new processor is going to produce more heat,
> about another 7W. It's not a huge amount, but if the current CPU is
> running hot, then a new cooler would probably be a good idea.
>
> I upgraded from a Duron 1.1 to an Athlon XP 1700+ (1467MHz) about a
> year ago, and to be honest I've barely noticed a difference. I've also
> got a 1GHz C3 (slow) processor in my other machine, and it doesn't feel
> any slower than my Athlon XP machine. Even when I play Counterstrike
> (at high settings) my Althon XP is idle for about 44% of the time. A
> lot of people think that the processor is really important, but for
> normal use I don't think it is really. Oh, on benchmarks my Athlon XP
> was only 1467/1100 times faster than the Duron :-o. So the FSB etc
> didn't make any difference to benchmarks!
>
> I would also expect that your motherboard will need a BIOS upgrade to
> use the new CPU, but you'd need to check that. 640Mb is plenty of
> memory, I only have 512Mb and it's engough for me.

I mainly use my machine for encoding video for friends (kids parties from
tape to dvd - that sort of thing), also for encoding my own home videos to
divx to have on the media centre enabled (chipped) xbox.
I would also use it for internet and email of course and watching the odd
dvd, but my main thing is encoding video and creating my own DVD's.

I have been upgrading my bios every so often just to be sure I'm getting the
most out of it, and going by the website it will support this processor.

Should I notice a vast improvement in applications that need raw processing
power like my encoding apps?

Cheers for the advice

Scott
a b B Homebuilt system
February 16, 2005 5:18:56 PM

Scott wrote:
> <petermcmillan_uk@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>Scott wrote:
>>
>>>If I were to replace my ageing Athlon 1.33Ghz with a AthlonXP 3200+
>>>

>>(2.2Ghz)?(http://www.dabs.com/uk/channels/components/processors/p...)
>>
>>>I have a 512MB stick of DDR ram and a 128MB stick and I am using an
>>
>>Aopen
>>
>>>AK77-600GN (http://www.aopen.nl/products/mb/AK77-600GN.htm)
>>>
>>>I know absolutely nothing about processors (though I do know a bit
>>
>>about the
>>
>>>actual building of a pc) so please be gentle.
>>>
>>>Scott
>>
>>Yes, I would have thought so. What do you use the machine for though?
>>If it's only used for the web, word processing, and light games then
>>there is no point. If the machine does what you want it to do then I'd
>>just leave it. It will save you money.
>>
>>If you do upgrade the new processor is going to produce more heat,
>>about another 7W. It's not a huge amount, but if the current CPU is
>>running hot, then a new cooler would probably be a good idea.
>>
>>I upgraded from a Duron 1.1 to an Athlon XP 1700+ (1467MHz) about a
>>year ago, and to be honest I've barely noticed a difference. I've also
>>got a 1GHz C3 (slow) processor in my other machine, and it doesn't feel
>>any slower than my Athlon XP machine. Even when I play Counterstrike
>>(at high settings) my Althon XP is idle for about 44% of the time. A
>>lot of people think that the processor is really important, but for
>>normal use I don't think it is really. Oh, on benchmarks my Athlon XP
>>was only 1467/1100 times faster than the Duron :-o. So the FSB etc
>>didn't make any difference to benchmarks!
>>
>>I would also expect that your motherboard will need a BIOS upgrade to
>>use the new CPU, but you'd need to check that. 640Mb is plenty of
>>memory, I only have 512Mb and it's engough for me.
>>

> I mainly use my machine for encoding video for friends (kids parties from
> tape to dvd - that sort of thing), also for encoding my own home videos to
> divx to have on the media centre enabled (chipped) xbox.
> I would also use it for internet and email of course and watching the odd
> dvd, but my main thing is encoding video and creating my own DVD's.
>
> I have been upgrading my bios every so often just to be sure I'm getting the
> most out of it, and going by the website it will support this processor.
>
> Should I notice a vast improvement in applications that need raw processing
> power like my encoding apps?

Yes. From both the raw CPU speed and the FSB increase, assuming your memory
is capable of it.

> Cheers for the advice
>
> Scott

February 16, 2005 7:23:15 PM

Maybe you don't need to make any changes at all. It depends on how you use
your computer. For email and internet browsing and office tasks, your
present system is more than ample. If you are looking for improved internet
performance, but are using dial-up, upgrading your system will not help. In
that case you need broadband (cable or DSL - preferably cable). If you are
heavy into media functions (video files, photography, etc.) or into advanced
gaming, then, yes, a faster CPU will definitely help, and adding more RAM
will help too. Make sure that whatever you purchase is compatible with your
motherboard.

"Scott" <pawsandclawsremovethis@btconnect.com> wrote in message
> If I were to replace my ageing Athlon 1.33Ghz with a AthlonXP 3200+
> (2.2Ghz)?(http://www.dabs.com/uk/channels/components/processors/p...)
>
> I have a 512MB stick of DDR ram and a 128MB stick and I am using an Aopen
> AK77-600GN (http://www.aopen.nl/products/mb/AK77-600GN.htm)
>
> I know absolutely nothing about processors (though I do know a bit about
> the actual building of a pc) so please be gentle.
>
> Scott

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
February 17, 2005 8:45:40 AM

Scott:

> I mainly use my machine for encoding video for friends (kids parties
> from tape to dvd - that sort of thing), also for encoding my own home
> videos to divx to have on the media centre enabled (chipped) xbox.

Then yes, you will benefit quite a bit from a faster processor.
--
Mac Cool
!