HP PSC 2110 all-in-one freezing

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
a b α HP
September 21, 2004 4:26:11 AM

Hi,

A Google search showed a couple of postings here (back in 2003) about
this problem, but no resolution.

I'm running Win98SE. The printer sometimes freezes (not the system) -
the printer window shows the document in a printing state, but the
printer itself is blissfully unaware. Ctrl+Alt+Del shows numerous
HP-related (I assume) tasks: HPZSTC05, HPOSTS08, HPZIPM12, ... the
list is endless. Killing some or all of these tasks sometimes resolves
the problem - the printer awakes and all is well; at other times this
crashes the PC.

All suggestions gratefully received.

--
Nick Michell
Doff Your Hat for personal reply.

More about : psc 2110 freezing

Anonymous
a b α HP
September 24, 2004 12:49:23 AM

"Nick Michell" <nickmATavnetYourHat.co.uk> wrote in message
news:D souk0d52432m43m917o42s10p0lujposr@4ax.com...

> I'm running Win98SE. The printer sometimes freezes (not the system) -
> the printer window shows the document in a printing state, but the
> printer itself is blissfully unaware. Ctrl+Alt+Del shows numerous
> HP-related (I assume) tasks: HPZSTC05, HPOSTS08, HPZIPM12, ... the
> list is endless. Killing some or all of these tasks sometimes resolves
> the problem - the printer awakes and all is well; at other times this
> crashes the PC.

You might try updating the driver. Version 2.1.0 is available at:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?product...
Before installing this download and run the cleanup utility available from the
same page.

Regards,
a b α HP
September 24, 2004 1:44:55 PM

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 20:49:23 -0700, "Bob Headrick" <bobh@proaxis.com>
wrote:

>"Nick Michell" <nickmATavnetYourHat.co.uk> wrote in message
>news:D souk0d52432m43m917o42s10p0lujposr@4ax.com...
>
>> I'm running Win98SE. The printer sometimes freezes (not the system) -
>> the printer window shows the document in a printing state, but the
>> printer itself is blissfully unaware. Ctrl+Alt+Del shows numerous
>> HP-related (I assume) tasks: HPZSTC05, HPOSTS08, HPZIPM12, ... the
>> list is endless. Killing some or all of these tasks sometimes resolves
>> the problem - the printer awakes and all is well; at other times this
>> crashes the PC.
>
>You might try updating the driver. Version 2.1.0 is available at:
>http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?product...
>Before installing this download and run the cleanup utility available from the
>same page.
>
>Regards,
>Bob Headrick, not speaking for my employer HP

Thanks Bob - I'll try that, but good grief - 166mb! It had better
make a *very* good cup of coffee ;-)

As the problem is so sporadic, I'll post again in a couple of weeks to
confirm success (or sooner if otherwise).

--
Nick Michell
Doff Your Hat for personal reply.
a b α HP
October 3, 2004 2:45:46 AM

* USE CAUTION WITH THIS DRIVER UPDATE *

Sorry to shout, but I had severe problems (perhaps of my own making),
as follows (notes from memory after the event, so perhaps not 100%
accurate)...

I downloaded both the driver file ("rw2_021_w02_enu.exe") and the
"scrubber" uninstaller ("HpAiOScrubber_v2038.exe""). I checked both
with an up-to-date virus scan. As recommended on the HP download page,
I used Add/Remove progs to uninstall the existing HP drivers, then
(perhaps my first mistake) thought "what the hell - I'll be thorough"
and ran the scrubber as well. It offered me three choices of HP driver
versions to remove - I chose the first without thinking; on completion
the scrubber appeared to have uninstalled itself and I couldn't be
bothered to reinstall and run again twice.

I then ran the driver update file (after a restart, I think - not
sure). As the install was running, I got some SpyBot warnings about
reg changes and "Allow'ed" them, but I seem to remember the install
was continuing in the window behind - terminated SpyBot (right-click
on system tray icon). Driver installation continued with (I think) a
restart, at which point SpyBot of course kicked-in again - same
happened as above.

Anyway, to cut to the chase, after the final restart my system was
totally <expletive-deleted> - and I mean *totally*. All file
associations had gone: my neat multiple-toolbar display of i'net, app
and explorer shortcuts were reduced to a series of "don't know what
this is" icons; clicking Start resulted in a system message best
summarised as "huh?"; windows-key+E gave the same result (I seem to
remember the error message for the latter did mention Explorer but,
again, seemed to have no understanding of what that was).

After a couple of hours cursing and a night's sleep trying to correct
the problem, I rebuilt from scratch.

Just for the record, I suspect I was a bit cavalier in my approach -
I should learn something from this (won't, of course ;-) ) and plan
these thing with a bit more forethought - msconfig disable of SpyBot
prior to starting could be a good start.

Sorry for all the vagueness in the above - as I say, I didn't take
notes at the time. I'm puzzled, to say the least, so I may try to
replicate the problem on a test system and report back.

wrote:

>"Nick Michell" <nickmATavnetYourHat.co.uk> wrote in message
>news:D souk0d52432m43m917o42s10p0lujposr@4ax.com...
>
>> I'm running Win98SE. The printer sometimes freezes (not the system) -
>> the printer window shows the document in a printing state, but the
>> printer itself is blissfully unaware. Ctrl+Alt+Del shows numerous
>> HP-related (I assume) tasks: HPZSTC05, HPOSTS08, HPZIPM12, ... the
>> list is endless. Killing some or all of these tasks sometimes resolves
>> the problem - the printer awakes and all is well; at other times this
>> crashes the PC.
>
>You might try updating the driver. Version 2.1.0 is available at:
>http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?product...
>Before installing this download and run the cleanup utility available from the
>same page.
>
>Regards,
>Bob Headrick, not speaking for my employer HP

--
Nick Michell
Doff Your Hat for personal reply.
Anonymous
a b α HP
October 7, 2004 1:54:19 AM

For the record, I'm not able to replicate this problem, although I was
unable to build an identical environment for my test.

--
!