HP PSC 2110 all-in-one freezing

Hi,

A Google search showed a couple of postings here (back in 2003) about
this problem, but no resolution.

I'm running Win98SE. The printer sometimes freezes (not the system) -
the printer window shows the document in a printing state, but the
printer itself is blissfully unaware. Ctrl+Alt+Del shows numerous
HP-related (I assume) tasks: HPZSTC05, HPOSTS08, HPZIPM12, ... the
list is endless. Killing some or all of these tasks sometimes resolves
the problem - the printer awakes and all is well; at other times this
crashes the PC.

All suggestions gratefully received.

--
Nick Michell
Doff Your Hat for personal reply.

    "Nick Michell" <nickmATavnetYourHat.co.uk> wrote in message

    > I'm running Win98SE. The printer sometimes freezes (not the system) -
    > the printer window shows the document in a printing state, but the
    > printer itself is blissfully unaware. Ctrl+Alt+Del shows numerous
    > HP-related (I assume) tasks: HPZSTC05, HPOSTS08, HPZIPM12, ... the
    > list is endless. Killing some or all of these tasks sometimes resolves
    > the problem - the printer awakes and all is well; at other times this
    > crashes the PC.

    You might try updating the driver. Version 2.1.0 is available at:
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?product=79488&lang=en&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&os=20
    Before installing this download and run the cleanup utility available from the
    same page.

    Regards,

    On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 20:49:23 -0700, "Bob Headrick" <bobh@proaxis.com>
    wrote:

    >"Nick Michell" <nickmATavnetYourHat.co.uk> wrote in message
    >
    >> I'm running Win98SE. The printer sometimes freezes (not the system) -
    >> the printer window shows the document in a printing state, but the
    >> printer itself is blissfully unaware. Ctrl+Alt+Del shows numerous
    >> HP-related (I assume) tasks: HPZSTC05, HPOSTS08, HPZIPM12, ... the
    >> list is endless. Killing some or all of these tasks sometimes resolves
    >> the problem - the printer awakes and all is well; at other times this
    >> crashes the PC.
    >
    >You might try updating the driver. Version 2.1.0 is available at:
    >http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?product=79488&lang=en&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&os=20
    >Before installing this download and run the cleanup utility available from the
    >same page.
    >
    >Regards,
    >Bob Headrick, not speaking for my employer HP

    Thanks Bob - I'll try that, but good grief - 166mb! It had better
    make a *very* good cup of coffee ;-)

    As the problem is so sporadic, I'll post again in a couple of weeks to
    confirm success (or sooner if otherwise).

    --
    Nick Michell
    Doff Your Hat for personal reply.

    * USE CAUTION WITH THIS DRIVER UPDATE *

    Sorry to shout, but I had severe problems (perhaps of my own making),
    as follows (notes from memory after the event, so perhaps not 100%
    accurate)...

    I downloaded both the driver file ("rw2_021_w02_enu.exe") and the
    "scrubber" uninstaller ("HpAiOScrubber_v2038.exe""). I checked both
    with an up-to-date virus scan. As recommended on the HP download page,
    I used Add/Remove progs to uninstall the existing HP drivers, then
    (perhaps my first mistake) thought "what the hell - I'll be thorough"
    and ran the scrubber as well. It offered me three choices of HP driver
    versions to remove - I chose the first without thinking; on completion
    the scrubber appeared to have uninstalled itself and I couldn't be
    bothered to reinstall and run again twice.

    I then ran the driver update file (after a restart, I think - not
    sure). As the install was running, I got some SpyBot warnings about
    reg changes and "Allow'ed" them, but I seem to remember the install
    was continuing in the window behind - terminated SpyBot (right-click
    on system tray icon). Driver installation continued with (I think) a
    restart, at which point SpyBot of course kicked-in again - same
    happened as above.

    Anyway, to cut to the chase, after the final restart my system was
    totally <expletive-deleted> - and I mean *totally*. All file
    associations had gone: my neat multiple-toolbar display of i'net, app
    and explorer shortcuts were reduced to a series of "don't know what
    this is" icons; clicking Start resulted in a system message best
    summarised as "huh?"; windows-key+E gave the same result (I seem to
    remember the error message for the latter did mention Explorer but,
    again, seemed to have no understanding of what that was).

    After a couple of hours cursing and a night's sleep trying to correct
    the problem, I rebuilt from scratch.

    Just for the record, I suspect I was a bit cavalier in my approach -
    I should learn something from this (won't, of course ;-) ) and plan
    these thing with a bit more forethought - msconfig disable of SpyBot
    prior to starting could be a good start.

    Sorry for all the vagueness in the above - as I say, I didn't take
    notes at the time. I'm puzzled, to say the least, so I may try to
    replicate the problem on a test system and report back.

    wrote:

    >"Nick Michell" <nickmATavnetYourHat.co.uk> wrote in message
    >
    >> I'm running Win98SE. The printer sometimes freezes (not the system) -
    >> the printer window shows the document in a printing state, but the
    >> printer itself is blissfully unaware. Ctrl+Alt+Del shows numerous
    >> HP-related (I assume) tasks: HPZSTC05, HPOSTS08, HPZIPM12, ... the
    >> list is endless. Killing some or all of these tasks sometimes resolves
    >> the problem - the printer awakes and all is well; at other times this
    >> crashes the PC.
    >
    >You might try updating the driver. Version 2.1.0 is available at:
    >http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?product=79488&lang=en&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&os=20
    >Before installing this download and run the cleanup utility available from the
    >same page.
    >
    >Regards,
    >Bob Headrick, not speaking for my employer HP

    --
    Nick Michell
    Doff Your Hat for personal reply.

    For the record, I'm not able to replicate this problem, although I was
    unable to build an identical environment for my test.

    --
    Nick Michell
    Doff Your Hat for personal reply.

Printers Hewlett Packard Google Search Peripherals