MSXML critical update

jp

Hello all: I have a Dell with ME. I have installed the MSXML update several
times. When I go to Windows update it lists the same update over again. When
I check my update history it is listed several times. Anyone know how to
make it stick? Thanks JP

JP,

Specifically, which MSXML package is prompting to be reinstalled ?
There were issues with earlier MSXML updates not showing as installed in
the registry. The latest updates should not be exhibiting the same behavior.
To open the registry editor go to Start, Run, type in
regedit
Click OK
The registry key that shows it's installation status is -

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Updates\DataAccess\
Q318203 (for MSXML 3.0)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates\MSXML4\Q317244 (for MSXML
4.0)

In the right frame, under Name, "IsInstalled" should be showing a Value
of 1. If it is not, double click it and set the Value Data to 1. Reboot
the system and revisit Windows Update to confirm that it is not reoffered.

MowGreen [MVP 2004-2005]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

JP wrote:

> Hello all: I have a Dell with ME. I have installed the MSXML update several
> times. When I go to Windows update it lists the same update over again. When
> I check my update history it is listed several times. Anyone know how to
> make it stick? Thanks JP

jp

Hello MowGreen:My version is MSXML 3.0. My value in the registry is "1". Any
suggestions? Thanks JP
"MowGreen [MVP]" <mowgreen@nowandzen.com> wrote in message
> JP,
>
> Specifically, which MSXML package is prompting to be reinstalled ?
> There were issues with earlier MSXML updates not showing as installed in
> the registry. The latest updates should not be exhibiting the same
> behavior.
> To open the registry editor go to Start, Run, type in
> regedit
> Click OK
> The registry key that shows it's installation status is -
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Updates\DataAccess\
> Q318203 (for MSXML 3.0)
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates\MSXML4\Q317244 (for MSXML
> 4.0)
>
> In the right frame, under Name, "IsInstalled" should be showing a Value of
> 1. If it is not, double click it and set the Value Data to 1. Reboot the
> system and revisit Windows Update to confirm that it is not reoffered.
>
> MowGreen [MVP 2004-2005]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>

> JP wrote:
>
>> Hello all: I have a Dell with ME. I have installed the MSXML update
>> several times. When I go to Windows update it lists the same update over
>> again. When I check my update history it is listed several times. Anyone
>> know how to make it stick? Thanks JP

JP,

Download the update from here :
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=4a3ad088-a893-4f0b-a932-5e024e74519f&DisplayLang=en
Save it to the Desktop. Close Internet Explorer.
Go to Internet Options in the Control Panel.
Under Temporary Internet Files click the Delete Files button and, if
you're prompted to Delete all offline content, put a check in the box
next to it, and then click OK.
If the installed antivirus program has a script blocking component
suggest temporarily disabling it.
Now double click msxml3.msi to install it.
Reboot the system after the installation.

MowGreen [MVP 2004-2005]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

JP wrote:

> Hello MowGreen:My version is MSXML 3.0. My value in the registry is "1". Any
> suggestions? Thanks JP
> "MowGreen [MVP]" <mowgreen@nowandzen.com> wrote in message
>
>>JP,
>>
>>Specifically, which MSXML package is prompting to be reinstalled ?
>>There were issues with earlier MSXML updates not showing as installed in
>>the registry. The latest updates should not be exhibiting the same
>>behavior.
>>To open the registry editor go to Start, Run, type in
>>regedit
>>Click OK
>>The registry key that shows it's installation status is -
>>
>>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Updates\DataAccess\
>>Q318203 (for MSXML 3.0)
>>
>>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates\MSXML4\Q317244 (for MSXML
>>4.0)
>>
>>In the right frame, under Name, "IsInstalled" should be showing a Value of
>>1. If it is not, double click it and set the Value Data to 1. Reboot the
>>system and revisit Windows Update to confirm that it is not reoffered.
>>
>>MowGreen [MVP 2004-2005]
>>===============
>> *-343-* FDNY
>>Never Forgotten
>>===============
>>

>>JP wrote:
>>

>>>Hello all: I have a Dell with ME. I have installed the MSXML update
>>>several times. When I go to Windows update it lists the same update over
>>>again. When I check my update history it is listed several times. Anyone
>>>know how to make it stick? Thanks JP

jp

Thanks MowGreen: That worked with one additional step. I had to install the
latest MSI installer for ME. Thanks Again JP

> JP,
>
> Download the update from here :
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=4a3ad088-a893-4f0b-a932-5e024e74519f&DisplayLang=en
> Save it to the Desktop. Close Internet Explorer.
> Go to Internet Options in the Control Panel.
> Under Temporary Internet Files click the Delete Files button and, if
> you're prompted to Delete all offline content, put a check in the box next
> to it, and then click OK.
> If the installed antivirus program has a script blocking component suggest
> temporarily disabling it.
> Now double click msxml3.msi to install it.
> Reboot the system after the installation.
>
> MowGreen [MVP 2004-2005]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>

> JP wrote:
>
>> Hello MowGreen:My version is MSXML 3.0. My value in the registry is "1".
>> Any suggestions? Thanks JP
>> "MowGreen [MVP]" <mowgreen@nowandzen.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>JP,
>>>
>>>Specifically, which MSXML package is prompting to be reinstalled ?
>>>There were issues with earlier MSXML updates not showing as installed in
>>>the registry. The latest updates should not be exhibiting the same
>>>behavior.
>>>To open the registry editor go to Start, Run, type in
>>>regedit
>>>Click OK
>>>The registry key that shows it's installation status is -
>>>
>>>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Updates\DataAccess\
>>>Q318203 (for MSXML 3.0)
>>>
>>>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates\MSXML4\Q317244 (for MSXML
>>>4.0)
>>>
>>>In the right frame, under Name, "IsInstalled" should be showing a Value
>>>of 1. If it is not, double click it and set the Value Data to 1. Reboot
>>>the system and revisit Windows Update to confirm that it is not
>>>reoffered.
>>>
>>>MowGreen [MVP 2004-2005]
>>>===============
>>> *-343-* FDNY
>>>Never Forgotten

You're welcome, JP. Glad to see it's sorted out. Would have been nice to
know that the latest Windows Installer for ME was required, dontcha
think ? ;)

MowGreen [MVP 2004-2005]
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten