cd-rom Missing

My Cd-rom does not show up in ME.
I used boot disk and it does appear in DOS/BIOS at startup.

In my hardware Device Manager...My PC shows a '!' problem w/IDE controller.

Tried Q189526... but cd-rom still not showing.
I disabled 2nd ide channel & put HDisk and cd-rom on primary ide as slave-cd
master-hdisk.

OS is ME, PII-450, 160MB, SE440BX motherboard, Lite-On CD-RW
My USB storage device does not show in explorer either...may be related issue.

I think it may be the registry or the '!' on my IDE controller in device
manager

Suggestions?
6 answers Last reply
More about missing

    Replies in-line:-

    "henry" wrote in message
    > My Cd-rom does not show up in ME.

    Is this a 'new' problem or has never 'shown up'?

    > I used boot disk and it does appear in DOS/BIOS at startup.

    Are you able to 'read' a CD in Real Mode DOS?

    > In my hardware Device Manager...My PC shows a '!' problem w/IDE
    > controller.

    Does the CD-ROM show in Device Manager in both Safe and Normal Modes. If so,
    'Remove' it and re-boot to redetect and re-install the driver.

    > Tried Q189526... but cd-rom still not showing.

    Hence my first question - Is this a 'new' problem or has never 'shown up'
    and the reference to Q190303 and its section on 'Known Issues'

    > I disabled 2nd ide channel & put HDisk and cd-rom on primary ide as
    > slave-cd
    > master-hdisk.

    Not too sure what you mean here as you don't say what the set-up was
    before - presumably HDD as master on controller #1 (primary) and CD-ROM as
    master on controller #2 (secondary)

    > OS is ME, PII-450, 160MB, SE440BX motherboard, Lite-On CD-RW
    > My USB storage device does not show in explorer either...may be related
    > issue.

    May/may not - worry about that later <g>

    > I think it may be the registry or the '!' on my IDE controller in device
    > manager

    Hence the earlier suggestion to 'Remove' it and let WinMe re-detect it.

    Might even be worth considering temporarily replacing your CD-RW with a
    cheap CD-ROM, just for elimination purposes - you can always include it as a
    second CD drive afterwards <g>

    Mart

    Henry must resolve the IDE hard disk controller problem before any storage
    device problems can be resolved.
    I suspect his System Properties/tab=Performance shows the system is in
    ms-dos compatibility mode, not 32-bit mode, also.
    These issues are related,i.e., have the same cause.

    Confirm that the BIOS is configured to enable both IDE channels. Choose the
    "Use both channels" option, not the "Auto" choice, for clarity.
    Boot to Safe Mode and remove the parent IDE controller device. When it is
    removed, both daughter devices should disappear. If not, they must be
    removed manually in the registry, at HKLM\ENUM\....
    Then reboot to Normal Mode, letting Windows PNP detect the IDE controller
    firmware and install the Windows drivers.
    This will resolve most problems.

    Check all cabling and jumpering of HD's, and consider a replacement of the
    IDE cable if no improvement occurs.
    ----

    MS-DOS Compatibility Mode Problems with PCI-IDE Controllers [Q151911]
    http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q151/9/11.asp

    Troubleshooting MS-DOS Compatibility Mode on Hard Disks [Q130179]
    http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q130/1/79.asp
    ---

    Chris Quirke
    http://users.iafrica.com/c/cq/cquirke/doscompat.htm

    In Memorium: Alex Nichol
    Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    ------
    "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
    > Replies in-line:-
    >
    > "henry" wrote in message
    > > My Cd-rom does not show up in ME.
    >
    > Is this a 'new' problem or has never 'shown up'?
    >
    > > I used boot disk and it does appear in DOS/BIOS at startup.
    >
    > Are you able to 'read' a CD in Real Mode DOS?
    >
    > > In my hardware Device Manager...My PC shows a '!' problem w/IDE
    > > controller.
    >
    > Does the CD-ROM show in Device Manager in both Safe and Normal Modes. If
    so,
    > 'Remove' it and re-boot to redetect and re-install the driver.
    >
    > > Tried Q189526... but cd-rom still not showing.
    >
    > Hence my first question - Is this a 'new' problem or has never 'shown up'
    > and the reference to Q190303 and its section on 'Known Issues'
    >
    > > I disabled 2nd ide channel & put HDisk and cd-rom on primary ide as
    > > slave-cd
    > > master-hdisk.
    >
    > Not too sure what you mean here as you don't say what the set-up was
    > before - presumably HDD as master on controller #1 (primary) and CD-ROM as
    > master on controller #2 (secondary)
    >
    > > OS is ME, PII-450, 160MB, SE440BX motherboard, Lite-On CD-RW
    > > My USB storage device does not show in explorer either...may be related
    > > issue.
    >
    > May/may not - worry about that later <g>
    >
    > > I think it may be the registry or the '!' on my IDE controller in device
    > > manager
    >
    > Hence the earlier suggestion to 'Remove' it and let WinMe re-detect it.
    >
    > Might even be worth considering temporarily replacing your CD-RW with a
    > cheap CD-ROM, just for elimination purposes - you can always include it as
    > second CD drive afterwards <g>
    >
    > Mart

    It is a new problem. I have tried 3 different drives that work in other
    computers.
    I can read a cd in real dos mode.

    I booted in safe mode... it showed to cd-roms installed... I deleted both of
    them & restarted

    "henry" wrote:

    > My Cd-rom does not show up in ME.
    > I used boot disk and it does appear in DOS/BIOS at startup.
    >
    > In my hardware Device Manager...My PC shows a '!' problem w/IDE controller.
    >
    > Tried Q189526... but cd-rom still not showing.
    > I disabled 2nd ide channel & put HDisk and cd-rom on primary ide as slave-cd
    > master-hdisk.
    >
    > OS is ME, PII-450, 160MB, SE440BX motherboard, Lite-On CD-RW
    > My USB storage device does not show in explorer either...may be related issue.
    >
    > I think it may be the registry or the '!' on my IDE controller in device
    > manager
    >
    > Suggestions?

    That was the problem...ms-dos compatibility mode!
    My registry did not say NOIDE like the article stated.

    I reinstalled WinMe and I am now in 32-bit mode and all is well.

    THANK YOU!

    "Jack E Martinelli" wrote:

> [...]
    > >
    > > > I disabled 2nd ide channel & put HDisk and cd-rom on primary ide as
    > > > slave-cd
    > > > master-hdisk.
    > >
    > > Not too sure what you mean here as you don't say what the set-up was
    > > before - presumably HDD as master on controller #1 (primary) and CD-ROM as
    > > master on controller #2 (secondary)
    > >
    > > > OS is ME, PII-450, 160MB, SE440BX motherboard, Lite-On CD-RW
    > > > My USB storage device does not show in explorer either...may be related
    > > > issue.
    > >
    > > May/may not - worry about that later <g>
    > >
    > > > I think it may be the registry or the '!' on my IDE controller in device
    > > > manager
    > >
    > > Hence the earlier suggestion to 'Remove' it and let WinMe re-detect it.
    > >
    > > Might even be worth considering temporarily replacing your CD-RW with a
    > > cheap CD-ROM, just for elimination purposes - you can always include it as

    Happy to have helped, Henry.
    "henry" <henry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > That was the problem...ms-dos compatibility mode!
    > My registry did not say NOIDE like the article stated.
    >
    > I reinstalled WinMe and I am now in 32-bit mode and all is well.
    >
    > THANK YOU!
    >
    > "Jack E Martinelli" wrote:
    >
    > > Henry must resolve the IDE hard disk controller problem before any
    storage
    > > device problems can be resolved.
    > > I suspect his System Properties/tab=Performance shows the system is in
    > > ms-dos compatibility mode, not 32-bit mode, also.
    > > These issues are related,i.e., have the same cause.
    > >
    > > Confirm that the BIOS is configured to enable both IDE channels. Choose
    the
    > > "Use both channels" option, not the "Auto" choice, for clarity.
    > > Boot to Safe Mode and remove the parent IDE controller device. When it
    is
    > > removed, both daughter devices should disappear. If not, they must be
    > > removed manually in the registry, at HKLM\ENUM\....
    > > Then reboot to Normal Mode, letting Windows PNP detect the IDE
    controller
    > > firmware and install the Windows drivers.
    > > This will resolve most problems.
    > >
    > > Check all cabling and jumpering of HD's, and consider a replacement of
    the
    > > IDE cable if no improvement occurs.
    > > ----
    > >
    > > MS-DOS Compatibility Mode Problems with PCI-IDE Controllers [Q151911]
    > > http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q151/9/11.asp
    > >
    > > Troubleshooting MS-DOS Compatibility Mode on Hard Disks [Q130179]
    > > http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q130/1/79.asp
    > > ---
    > >
    > > Chris Quirke
    > > http://users.iafrica.com/c/cq/cquirke/doscompat.htm
    > >
    > > --
    > > Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User / DTS
    > > Help us help you: http://www.dts-L.org/goodpost.htm
    > > In Memorium: Alex Nichol
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexperts/nichol.mspx
    > > Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    > > ------

    <SNIP>

    Hi Jack,

    I think I have the same issue as Henry and I have tried the steps that you
    suggested but I need to know where exactly in the registry do I delete the
    daughter devices. It won't do it automatically and I don't see them listed
    anywhere and I certainly don't want to guess on this one. I also have an
    exclamation point on my floppy disk controller. Do I delete that as well?
    Is there anything else that I need to do in the registry or elsewhere other
    than what you told Henry?

    Thanks so much all of you for the wonderful help, Laura.

Controller CD-Rom Windows