Security Update (KB837009)

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
a b 8 Security
June 4, 2005 8:45:06 AM

Every time I run Windows Update for the last 10 weeks, it tells me I need the
critical update: Cumulative Security Update for Outlook Express. I restarted
my computer after this download a couple of weeks ago and I still get this
notice. What's going on?
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
June 4, 2005 2:52:24 PM

From a post by Home User, 4/8/2005 :

" FROM MICROSOFT TECHNICAL SUPPORT:

>From the case log, I understand that you always receive
the notification to Install Security Update for Outlook
Express 6 Service Pack 1 (KB837009). We will work together
to resolve this specific issue through the course of the
case. If there has been any misunderstanding, please let
me know.

I suggest we try the steps below to test this problem.

First, please clean the Internet temporary files with the
following steps:

1. Click Start, point to Settings and click Control Panel.

2. Double click Internet Options.

3. Click the General tab, click Clear History in the
History area, and then click OK in the dialog box that
appears.

4. In the Temporary Internet Files area, click Delete
Files and then click OK.

Note: If you select the item "Delete all offline content",
this will delete all the files which are needed to browse
the Internet website when you are offline.

5. In the Temporary Internet Files area, click Delete
Cookies, and then click OK in the dialog box that appears.

Note: Removing these files will remove automatic login
information which is stored within these files that allow
you to login to Internet sites, so be sure that you have
this recorded or written down somewhere else if you are
concerned about this.

Then, please reinstall the update 837009 with the
following steps:

1. Access the link below to download the installation file
for the update 837009:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?
FamilyId=925628BD-1B5F-4B21-8DB6-
EDE1C73F97B5&displaylang=en

2. Restart the computer.

3. Keep pressing the F8 key until the Windows Startup menu
appears.

4. Choose Safe Mode, and press Enter.

Note: In Safe Mode, your system display and desktop will
look and perform differently than in Normal Mode. This is
only temporary.

5. In Safe Mode, rename the downloaded file to
KB837009.EXE and copy it to C:\ (the root directory of
drive C).

6. Click Start and click Run.

7. Type the command below and press Enter:

C:\KB837009.EXE /N:V

8. Restart your computer in Normal Mode and see whether
the issue persists. "

HTH,
MowGreen [MVP 2004-2005]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

J. Ascher wrote:

> Every time I run Windows Update for the last 10 weeks, it tells me I need the
> critical update: Cumulative Security Update for Outlook Express. I restarted
> my computer after this download a couple of weeks ago and I still get this
> notice. What's going on?
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
June 4, 2005 4:25:02 PM

I tried the steps you told me. When I got to safe mode and renamed the
downloaded file, ran it from the prompt, and I got a message: "This update
requires outlook express service pack 1 to be installed."

I tried to find "Outlook Express Service Pack 1" on the download site, but
it wasn't there.

I opened Help in Outlook Express to see if it were version 6.0 and it is.

James

"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

> From a post by Home User, 4/8/2005 :
>
> " FROM MICROSOFT TECHNICAL SUPPORT:
>
> >From the case log, I understand that you always receive
> the notification to Install Security Update for Outlook
> Express 6 Service Pack 1 (KB837009). We will work together
> to resolve this specific issue through the course of the
> case. If there has been any misunderstanding, please let
> me know.
>
> I suggest we try the steps below to test this problem.
>
> First, please clean the Internet temporary files with the
> following steps:
>
> 1. Click Start, point to Settings and click Control Panel.
>
> 2. Double click Internet Options.
>
> 3. Click the General tab, click Clear History in the
> History area, and then click OK in the dialog box that
> appears.
>
> 4. In the Temporary Internet Files area, click Delete
> Files and then click OK.
>
> Note: If you select the item "Delete all offline content",
> this will delete all the files which are needed to browse
> the Internet website when you are offline.
>
> 5. In the Temporary Internet Files area, click Delete
> Cookies, and then click OK in the dialog box that appears.
>
> Note: Removing these files will remove automatic login
> information which is stored within these files that allow
> you to login to Internet sites, so be sure that you have
> this recorded or written down somewhere else if you are
> concerned about this.
>
> Then, please reinstall the update 837009 with the
> following steps:
>
> 1. Access the link below to download the installation file
> for the update 837009:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?
> FamilyId=925628BD-1B5F-4B21-8DB6-
> EDE1C73F97B5&displaylang=en
>
> 2. Restart the computer.
>
> 3. Keep pressing the F8 key until the Windows Startup menu
> appears.
>
> 4. Choose Safe Mode, and press Enter.
>
> Note: In Safe Mode, your system display and desktop will
> look and perform differently than in Normal Mode. This is
> only temporary.
>
> 5. In Safe Mode, rename the downloaded file to
> KB837009.EXE and copy it to C:\ (the root directory of
> drive C).
>
> 6. Click Start and click Run.
>
> 7. Type the command below and press Enter:
>
> C:\KB837009.EXE /N:V
>
> 8. Restart your computer in Normal Mode and see whether
> the issue persists. "
>
> HTH,
> MowGreen [MVP 2004-2005]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>

> J. Ascher wrote:
>
> > Every time I run Windows Update for the last 10 weeks, it tells me I need the
> > critical update: Cumulative Security Update for Outlook Express. I restarted
> > my computer after this download a couple of weeks ago and I still get this
> > notice. What's going on?

a b 8 Security
June 5, 2005 3:20:02 PM

I tried installing the program from that link, but it told me it needs XP.

James

"JoAnne Shriner" wrote:

> Perhaps you'll find the Outlook Express 'service pack' download of KB837009
> you need here.
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/results.aspx?display...

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
June 5, 2005 4:10:01 PM

Open Internet Explorer, click Help, About. Post back the version
number so we can see which version of OE is installed.

MowGreen [MVP 2004-2005]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

J. Ascher wrote:

> I tried installing the program from that link, but it told me it needs XP.
>
> James
>
> "JoAnne Shriner" wrote:
>

>>Perhaps you'll find the Outlook Express 'service pack' download of KB837009
>>you need here.
>>http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/results.aspx?display...

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
June 6, 2005 12:04:17 AM

James,

In which case it would appear you downloaded the wrong version of the
patch. The one entitled "Cumulative Security Update for Outlook Express 6
Service Pack 1 (KB837009)" is for all of the following operating systems
where IE6 SP1 is installed:
Windows XP SP1
Windows XP
Windows Millennium Edition (Windows Me) <<<<<<<<<<<
Windows 2000 SP2
Windows 2000 SP3
Windows 2000 SP4
Windows 98 SE
Windows 98
Windows NT® 4.0 SP6A

The one entitled "Cumulative Security Update for Outlook Express 6
(KB837009)" is for XP only.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

J. Ascher <JAscher@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I tried installing the program from that link, but it told me it
> needs XP.
>
> James
>
> "JoAnne Shriner" wrote:
>
>> Perhaps you'll find the Outlook Express 'service pack' download of
>> KB837009 you need here.
>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/results.aspx?display...
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
June 10, 2005 11:55:02 PM

I have version 6.0.2800.1106 installed.

Sorry for the delay in responding, I couldn't access MS newsgroups from my
primary borwser, K-Meleon for several days.

James

"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

> Open Internet Explorer, click Help, About. Post back the version
> number so we can see which version of OE is installed.
>
> MowGreen [MVP 2004-2005]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>

> J. Ascher wrote:
>
> > I tried installing the program from that link, but it told me it needs XP.
> >
> > James
> >
> > "JoAnne Shriner" wrote:
> >

> >>Perhaps you'll find the Outlook Express 'service pack' download of KB837009
> >>you need here.
> >>http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/results.aspx?display...

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
June 10, 2005 11:56:01 PM

So why would MS update recommend that download when its scan would reveal I'm
on Win ME?

James

"Mike M" wrote:

> James,
>
> In which case it would appear you downloaded the wrong version of the
> patch. The one entitled "Cumulative Security Update for Outlook Express 6
> Service Pack 1 (KB837009)" is for all of the following operating systems
> where IE6 SP1 is installed:
> Windows XP SP1
> Windows XP
> Windows Millennium Edition (Windows Me) <<<<<<<<<<<
> Windows 2000 SP2
> Windows 2000 SP3
> Windows 2000 SP4
> Windows 98 SE
> Windows 98
> Windows NT® 4.0 SP6A
>
> The one entitled "Cumulative Security Update for Outlook Express 6
> (KB837009)" is for XP only.
> --
> Mike Maltby MS-MVP
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>

> J. Ascher <JAscher@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > I tried installing the program from that link, but it told me it
> > needs XP.
> >
> > James
> >
> > "JoAnne Shriner" wrote:
> >
> >> Perhaps you'll find the Outlook Express 'service pack' download of
> >> KB837009 you need here.
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/results.aspx?display...

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
June 11, 2005 3:57:12 PM

J. Ascher <JAscher@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> So why would MS update recommend that download when its scan would
> reveal I'm on Win ME?

The download centre doesn't scan your system. It's you who chooses what
to install. If that's a problem then you should use the Windows Update
site which does scan your system.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com