Logon Screen Locks Up

Clark

Distinguished
May 19, 2004

If I leave the logon screen waiting for more that about 20 seconds, I hear
the hard drive start and the logon applet is frozen, as is the rest of the
computer. If I am typing my password, it will only take the letters prior
to the lock and then no more typing is allowed. If I get my password typed
in quickly, the boot is complete with no lock up. The computer does not
lock up during use, just in this instance.

If anyone knows what is going on, or can give me guidance as to what might
be happening in the background while the logon is displayed, I would
appreciate it.

Thanks,
Clark

I have never heard of anything similar.

I can only think of removing the current profile and recreating a similar
one, with a slightly different name and password, for clarity and then
retesting.

FYI:

Stop LogOn Prompt at Boot

Using the Client for Microsoft Network Logon is only necessary if
you're logging on to a Windows NT/2000 domain or server. All
peer-to-peer networking functions are available using Windows Logon as
the primary network logon.

To eliminate the logon prompt, set the primary network logon to
Windows Logon and use an empty password, as described in this
Microsoft Knowledge Base article:

How to Prevent a Windows Me/98/95 Logon Prompt at Startup
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q152/1/04.asp
--
Best Wishes,
Steve Winograd, MS-MVP (Desktop Systems)

How to Prevent a Windows Me Logon Prompt at Startup (152104)
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;152104

How to Disable and Delete User Profiles
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;156826

In Memorium: Alex Nichol
Your cooperation is very appreciated.
------
"Clark" <who@whoknows.com> wrote in message
> If I leave the logon screen waiting for more that about 20 seconds, I hear
> the hard drive start and the logon applet is frozen, as is the rest of the
> computer. If I am typing my password, it will only take the letters prior
> to the lock and then no more typing is allowed. If I get my password
typed
> in quickly, the boot is complete with no lock up. The computer does not
> lock up during use, just in this instance.
>
> If anyone knows what is going on, or can give me guidance as to what might
> be happening in the background while the logon is displayed, I would
> appreciate it.
>
> Thanks,
> Clark

Clark

Distinguished
May 19, 2004

This is an old laptop and there may be some really strange things going on.
Today I have notices, after I installed some Windows updates, that the thing
would lock up with almost any message applet. A few minutes ago, I let it
sit and after a few minutes the Network Logon became active again. I am
starting to think it is a software conflict somewhere and I have been
looking at ZoneAlarm. I did get a message yesterday that it had cut off my
internet access since it thought something was trying to keep it from
starting.

I just removed and reinstalled a newer version of ZoneAlarm, so maybe the
problem has gone.

Clark

>I have never heard of anything similar.
>
> I can only think of removing the current profile and recreating a similar
> one, with a slightly different name and password, for clarity and then
> retesting.
>
> FYI:
>
> Stop LogOn Prompt at Boot
>
> Using the Client for Microsoft Network Logon is only necessary if
> you're logging on to a Windows NT/2000 domain or server. All
> peer-to-peer networking functions are available using Windows Logon as
> the primary network logon.
>
> To eliminate the logon prompt, set the primary network logon to
> Windows Logon and use an empty password, as described in this
> Microsoft Knowledge Base article:
>
> How to Prevent a Windows Me/98/95 Logon Prompt at Startup
> http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q152/1/04.asp
> --
> Best Wishes,
> Steve Winograd, MS-MVP (Desktop Systems)
> -----
>
> How to Prevent a Windows Me Logon Prompt at Startup (152104)
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;152104
>
> How to Disable and Delete User Profiles
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;156826

> In Memorium: Alex Nichol
> Your cooperation is very appreciated.
> ------
> "Clark" <who@whoknows.com> wrote in message
>> If I leave the logon screen waiting for more that about 20 seconds, I
>> hear
>> the hard drive start and the logon applet is frozen, as is the rest of
>> the
>> computer. If I am typing my password, it will only take the letters
>> prior
>> to the lock and then no more typing is allowed. If I get my password
> typed
>> in quickly, the boot is complete with no lock up. The computer does not
>> lock up during use, just in this instance.
>>
>> If anyone knows what is going on, or can give me guidance as to what
>> might
>> be happening in the background while the logon is displayed, I would
>> appreciate it.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Clark

All of the recent free Zone Alarm versions have worked fine here under
several WinME machines.
Ditto under XP Home.

You will have to experiment some, using msconfig/Startup to disable
temporarily programs, one at a time, or the "division by half" method, to
try to isolate the bad actor/s. This can be very tedious.
I suggest beginning by disabling everything except the minimal box, to see
if the problem is related to some fundamental service or hardware. If the
minimal box runs fine, then finding the mal-content will be easier.

Be sure to do the usual disk maintenance and the anti-virus and spyware
tasks first, to rule out those issues.
> [...]
> > Your cooperation is very appreciated.
> > ------
> > "Clark" <who@whoknows.com> wrote in message
> >> If I leave the logon screen waiting for more that about 20 seconds, I
> >> hear
> >> the hard drive start and the logon applet is frozen, as is the rest of
> >> the
> >> computer. If I am typing my password, it will only take the letters
> >> prior
> >> to the lock and then no more typing is allowed. If I get my password
> > typed
> >> in quickly, the boot is complete with no lock up. The computer does
not
> >> lock up during use, just in this instance.
> >>
> >> If anyone knows what is going on, or can give me guidance as to what
> >> might
> >> be happening in the background while the logon is displayed, I would

Clark

Distinguished
May 19, 2004

The box seems to be running fine after a ZoneAlarm update since the old
version was several years old. And you are right, ZoneAlarm has been
running for some time without problems as far as I know. The message about
the hijacking might have been caused by an install of the SBC Yahoo
software, which must be done to register. The lock up problem has been
going on much longer but I so seldom use the machine that I never bothered
to run it down. I also changed to a Windows Logon instead of the network
logon as suggested. For all I know it might have been the network looking
for something and locking up. This computer is a 266 Mhz machine and is
slow but runs fine normally.

Anyway, the problem seems to be fixed now.

Thanks for the input,
Clark