Asus A7V and Win2K

G

I am about to build three systems up and I was planning on using the Asus A7V mobo and running Win2k on the two office machines and Win98 on the home gamer. I have read a few places that Win2k has some issues with the A7V boards. Does anyone have a suggestion for a solid mobo to use with win2k?

stonerboy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I had an A7V with windows 2000 and had nothing but problems with it, not to mention it took forever to load. My suggestion is an Asus CUSL2 or CUSL2-C.

"In three words I can sum up everything I've learned in life: It goes on." -Robert Frost

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
I've been using my A7V133 with Win2K for about a week. I did some rigorous tests, using SETI@Home and 3DMark2001 for about a days worth of time. Still stable after I shut them down and started running regular apps and surfing the internet.

I installed and configured Win2K in this order:

1) Install right off with the SCSI controller (my HD is ATA100, so even though I was on the Primary IDE slot, I did this anyways).
2) Afterwards, VIA 4-in-1 v4.31 drivers came next.
3) Graphics drivers
4) If you're not using an SB sound card, install those drivers
5) Win2K Service Pack 2
6) DirectX 8.0a
7) Use Microsoft's Windows Update website and updates critical, security updates. (Windows 2000 Compatibility update, most likely.)

That's enough for now...you haven't even bought the motherboard yet...LoL :smile:

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
ditto to what btvillian has to say.
a7v133 here. rock solid stability, even before i put on the 4 in 1 drivers or the latest bios update (currently using 1004)

This behavior must not continue! Feel the BURNING STARE of my HAMSTER... and change your ways!