XP machine printing to a 7 machine

sleibo

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2009
Hi. I have an Okidata 4250 connected to a Windows 7 64 bit machine. Printer and file sharing is on; the printer is marked as shared and default. I am trying to print to it from a networked XP machine. The XP machine asks to install drivers. Which drivers? Drivers for Win 7/64 bit, on the XP machine? Or XP drivers?
I installed XP drivers and it said that I had the wrong drivers installed. The Okidata website does not have drivers for Win 7 or even for Vista; it says the drivers are included in the Vista disc.
Any one have any ideas?

Thanks.
Sleibo

sleibo

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2009

Well, I have fixed it myself. Here is what I think was going on: It seems Okidata may not have 64 bit drivers for XP (I dont know this, I am assuming). So when I installed the Oki driver on the XP machine it would not print to the Win 7/64 bit machine with the printer attached. However, all Oki monopage LED printers can also print with the HP laserjet 4 driver. I have had to do this before in special circumstances. So I installed the laserjet 4 driver on the XP machine. I installed it as a local printer, and then changed the port to \\(Win 7 computer name on my network)\HP Laserjet 4 Then it worked.

Just in case anyone else runs into this problem...

mooseye

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2008
I am having this same problem on a cousin's new win7 box.
I have just come to a theory after reading this thread.
I have a network at home which consists of a desktop running XP sp3 and the printer is connected to it so I guess it is the server. I have a laptop running XP sp3 and it can print of course. My wife has a laptop running win7 64bit and it can print. I think the key is that the win7 lappy is not the print server.
I plan to try this on my cousin's setup tommorow and will relay my results here.