Need recommendations on wide inkjet

My wife and I publish a quarterly newsletter, and we are currently
shopping for a color inkjet printer that will print on 11"x17" (tabloid,
ledger) size paper. All of the current wide inkjet printers that I have
seen are of the "photo" variety, and from all the reviews I've read
these "photo" inkjets don't produce very clean text. Our newsletters
are black text and line art with black and white photos, so our primary
concern is razor-sharp text/line art with decent black and white photos.
From time-to-time, we will print a color photo or color artwork we
have designed, but this is secondary to the newsletter we publish. Are
there any wide inkjet printers currently on the market that are not the
"photo" variety? Can the wide "photo" inkjets be made to print sharp
text in a trade-off with photo quality? Would an older non-photo wide
inkjet work better for us? Any recommendations and advice would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance to those who help.

- Steve
5 answers Last reply
More about need recommendations wide inkjet

    Steve Ward wrote:

    > My wife and I publish a quarterly newsletter, and we are currently
    > shopping for a color inkjet printer that will print on 11"x17" (tabloid,
    > ledger) size paper. All of the current wide inkjet printers that I have
    > seen are of the "photo" variety, and from all the reviews I've read
    > these "photo" inkjets don't produce very clean text. Our newsletters
    > are black text and line art with black and white photos, so our primary
    > concern is razor-sharp text/line art with decent black and white photos.
    > From time-to-time, we will print a color photo or color artwork we have
    > designed, but this is secondary to the newsletter we publish. Are there
    > any wide inkjet printers currently on the market that are not the
    > "photo" variety? Can the wide "photo" inkjets be made to print sharp
    > text in a trade-off with photo quality? Would an older non-photo wide
    > inkjet work better for us? Any recommendations and advice would be
    > greatly appreciated.

    Not an expert, but I wouldn't think you would have to print out the
    pages yourself - consult with the print shop you're going to use to
    publish the copies and see if you can just give them a CD of the files.

    Gary Eickmeier

    Gary Eickmeier wrote:

    > Steve Ward wrote:
    >
    >> My wife and I publish a quarterly newsletter, and we are currently
    >> shopping for a color inkjet printer that will print on 11"x17"
    >> (tabloid, ledger) size paper. All of the current wide inkjet printers
    >> that I have seen are of the "photo" variety, and from all the reviews
    >> I've read these "photo" inkjets don't produce very clean text. Our
    >> newsletters are black text and line art with black and white photos,
    >> so our primary concern is razor-sharp text/line art with decent black
    >> and white photos. From time-to-time, we will print a color photo or
    >> color artwork we have designed, but this is secondary to the
    >> newsletter we publish. Are there any wide inkjet printers currently
    >> on the market that are not the "photo" variety? Can the wide "photo"
    >> inkjets be made to print sharp text in a trade-off with photo
    >> quality? Would an older non-photo wide inkjet work better for us?
    >> Any recommendations and advice would be greatly appreciated.
    >

    > Not an expert, but I wouldn't think you would have to print out the
    > pages yourself - consult with the print shop you're going to use to
    > publish the copies and see if you can just give them a CD of the files.
    >
    > Gary Eickmeier

    Probably cheaper to pay someone else to print it.

    The Canon i9950 I have produces very very very crisp text on high resolution paper.

    --
    Ben Thomas
    given nor endorsed by it.

    Gary,
    I guess I should have explained our publishing process a little further.
    We normally print the newsletter out, then take it to a copy shop and
    make about 100 copies. Not sure what a print shop would charge for just
    100 copies of 2 ledger size sheets, front and back, but that's something
    to think about. Thanks for the suggestion.

    Ben,
    Normally I send the files up to work and print it out on the HP LaserJet
    at work. We're wanting to get away from that and do it all from home,
    or at least do all the proofing at home. (We still might LaserJet the
    final copy.) Although I'm glad to hear your Canon i9950 produces very
    crisp text. I've kinda been leaning toward a Canon printer, but have
    been scared off by reports of photo printers not being able to print
    text very sharp. I'd like to know more about that "high resolution
    paper" you use, and any other tricks for printing crisp text on a photo
    printer. By the way, enjoy that CD printing of your Canon printer. We
    can't get that printer here in the U.S. :-(

    - Steve

    "Steve Ward" <sward@tulsaconnectspamm.com> wrote in message
    > My wife and I publish a quarterly newsletter, and we are currently shopping
    > for a color inkjet printer that will print on 11"x17" (tabloid, ledger) size
    > paper. All of the current wide inkjet printers that I have seen are of the
    > "photo" variety, and from all the reviews I've read these "photo" inkjets
    > don't produce very clean text. Our newsletters are black text and line art
    > with black and white photos, so our primary concern is razor-sharp text/line
    > art with decent black and white photos. From time-to-time, we will print a
    > color photo or color artwork we have designed, but this is secondary to the
    > newsletter we publish.

    You might take a look at the HP DeskJet 9600 series at:
    http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF25a/18972-236251-236261-14438-f51-306780.html

    These printers support printing with a photo cartridge, but you can also print
    excellent text and line art using the pigmented black ink cartridge in place of
    the photo cartridge.

    The DeskJet 9670 has an automatic duplexer included for unattended two-sided
    printing. These printers will print up to 13"x19".

    Regards,
    MS MVP Printing/Imaging

    Thank you Bob. I'll be sure to research that printer and read all I can
    about it from the link you provided.

    - Steve

    > "Steve Ward" <sward@tulsaconnectspamm.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>My wife and I publish a quarterly newsletter, and we are currently shopping
    >>for a color inkjet printer that will print on 11"x17" (tabloid, ledger) size
    >>paper. All of the current wide inkjet printers that I have seen are of the
    >>"photo" variety, and from all the reviews I've read these "photo" inkjets
    >>don't produce very clean text. Our newsletters are black text and line art
    >>with black and white photos, so our primary concern is razor-sharp text/line
    >>art with decent black and white photos. From time-to-time, we will print a
    >>color photo or color artwork we have designed, but this is secondary to the
    >>newsletter we publish.
    >

    > Bob Headrick wrote:
    > You might take a look at the HP DeskJet 9600 series at:
    > http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF25a/18972-236251-236261-14438-f51-306780.html
    >
    > These printers support printing with a photo cartridge, but you can also print
    > excellent text and line art using the pigmented black ink cartridge in place of
    > the photo cartridge.
    >
    > The DeskJet 9670 has an automatic duplexer included for unattended two-sided
    > printing. These printers will print up to 13"x19".
    >
    > Regards,
    > MS MVP Printing/Imaging

Printers Photo Inkjet Peripherals