jpeg files

I've recenty purchased a digital camera and I prefer to take my photo's at
full resolutation [3.2 mp] My problem is the file size is rather large [from
2 to 4 mb's for each picture] Is there a way that I can reduce the file size
for effective emailing?
Something similar to the way XP reduces jpeg files for mailing. Thanks

Joe
4 answers Last reply
More about jpeg files

    Joe
    As oops suggested download the free Irfanview utility that is highly
    recommended by several MVP's in these Newsgroups. Once downloaded,
    open a file (picture), select IMAGE and then select from the drop down
    menu RESIZE/RESAMPLE. For e-mail purposes, I would select 640x480 or
    800x600.

    Hope this helps

    Dan

    "joe" <joe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I've recenty purchased a digital camera and I prefer to take my
    photo's at
    > full resolutation [3.2 mp] My problem is the file size is rather
    large [from
    > 2 to 4 mb's for each picture] Is there a way that I can reduce the
    file size
    > for effective emailing?
    > Something similar to the way XP reduces jpeg files for mailing.
    Thanks

    > Joe

    Try IrfanView:

    http://www.irfanview.com/

    Zee

    "joe" <joe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I've recenty purchased a digital camera and I prefer to take my photo's at
    > full resolutation [3.2 mp] My problem is the file size is rather large
    [from
    > 2 to 4 mb's for each picture] Is there a way that I can reduce the file
    size
    > for effective emailing?
    > Something similar to the way XP reduces jpeg files for mailing. Thanks
    >
    > Joe

    As Zee states, Irfanview is a good program. You can also use Adobe PhotoShop
    ($), Microsoft Photo Editor, JASC Paint Shop Pro, and others. Your goal is
    to save the pictures you want to send as JPGs. Opening the image, then
    resaving it as a JPG (.jpg extension) compresses the image, reducing its
    file size considerably.

    Just know that every time you resave (not merely view) that same image as a
    JPG, you lose some image quality. Not noticeable at first, but will become
    so if you continuously resave that same image. That's because JPG is what's
    called a "lossy" format, meaning that some image information is permanently
    removed when the image is compressed.

    Joe Starin

    "oops!!" <notme@nowhere.com> wrote in message

    > Try IrfanView:
    >
    > http://www.irfanview.com/
    >
    > Zee
    >

    > "joe" <joe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I've recenty purchased a digital camera and I prefer to take my photo's
    at
    > > full resolutation [3.2 mp] My problem is the file size is rather large
    > [from
    > > 2 to 4 mb's for each picture] Is there a way that I can reduce the file
    > size
    > > for effective emailing?
    > > Something similar to the way XP reduces jpeg files for mailing. Thanks
    > >
    > > Joe

    Just make sure you so a "save as" and give the saved file a new name. You don't
    want to loose your original at the higher quality.

    Joe Starin wrote:
    > As Zee states, Irfanview is a good program. You can also use Adobe PhotoShop
    > ($), Microsoft Photo Editor, JASC Paint Shop Pro, and others. Your goal is
    > to save the pictures you want to send as JPGs. Opening the image, then
    > resaving it as a JPG (.jpg extension) compresses the image, reducing its
    > file size considerably.
    >
    > Just know that every time you resave (not merely view) that same image as a
    > JPG, you lose some image quality. Not noticeable at first, but will become
    > so if you continuously resave that same image. That's because JPG is what's
    > called a "lossy" format, meaning that some image information is permanently
    > removed when the image is compressed.
    >
    > Joe Starin
    >
    > "oops!!" <notme@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Try IrfanView:
    >>
    >> http://www.irfanview.com/
    >>
    >> Zee
    >>

    >> "joe" <joe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>> I've recenty purchased a digital camera and I prefer to take my photo's at
    >>> full resolutation [3.2 mp] My problem is the file size is rather large [from
    >>> 2 to 4 mb's for each picture] Is there a way that I can reduce the file size
    >>> for effective emailing?
    >>> Something similar to the way XP reduces jpeg files for mailing. Thanks
    >>>
    >>> Joe

File Size Windows