jpeg files

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
June 5, 2005 4:17:20 PM

I've recenty purchased a digital camera and I prefer to take my photo's at
full resolutation [3.2 mp] My problem is the file size is rather large [from
2 to 4 mb's for each picture] Is there a way that I can reduce the file size
for effective emailing?
Something similar to the way XP reduces jpeg files for mailing. Thanks

Joe

More about : jpeg files

Anonymous
June 5, 2005 10:42:37 PM

Joe
As oops suggested download the free Irfanview utility that is highly
recommended by several MVP's in these Newsgroups. Once downloaded,
open a file (picture), select IMAGE and then select from the drop down
menu RESIZE/RESAMPLE. For e-mail purposes, I would select 640x480 or
800x600.

Hope this helps

Dan

"joe" <joe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've recenty purchased a digital camera and I prefer to take my
photo's at
> full resolutation [3.2 mp] My problem is the file size is rather
large [from
> 2 to 4 mb's for each picture] Is there a way that I can reduce the
file size
> for effective emailing?
> Something similar to the way XP reduces jpeg files for mailing.
Thanks

> Joe
Anonymous
June 6, 2005 1:20:55 AM

Try IrfanView:

http://www.irfanview.com/

Zee

"joe" <joe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've recenty purchased a digital camera and I prefer to take my photo's at
> full resolutation [3.2 mp] My problem is the file size is rather large
[from
> 2 to 4 mb's for each picture] Is there a way that I can reduce the file
size
> for effective emailing?
> Something similar to the way XP reduces jpeg files for mailing. Thanks
>
> Joe
June 6, 2005 9:05:03 PM

As Zee states, Irfanview is a good program. You can also use Adobe PhotoShop
($), Microsoft Photo Editor, JASC Paint Shop Pro, and others. Your goal is
to save the pictures you want to send as JPGs. Opening the image, then
resaving it as a JPG (.jpg extension) compresses the image, reducing its
file size considerably.

Just know that every time you resave (not merely view) that same image as a
JPG, you lose some image quality. Not noticeable at first, but will become
so if you continuously resave that same image. That's because JPG is what's
called a "lossy" format, meaning that some image information is permanently
removed when the image is compressed.

Joe Starin

"oops!!" <notme@nowhere.com> wrote in message

> Try IrfanView:
>
> http://www.irfanview.com/
>
> Zee
>

> "joe" <joe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I've recenty purchased a digital camera and I prefer to take my photo's
at
> > full resolutation [3.2 mp] My problem is the file size is rather large
> [from
> > 2 to 4 mb's for each picture] Is there a way that I can reduce the file
> size
> > for effective emailing?
> > Something similar to the way XP reduces jpeg files for mailing. Thanks
> >
> > Joe

June 9, 2005 7:21:38 PM

Just make sure you so a "save as" and give the saved file a new name. You don't
want to loose your original at the higher quality.

!