I burned a floppy drive

I built a bare minimum box to install Solaris 10 x86 with the
following:

1. MB: Asus A7V8X-X
2. Hard drive: WD Caivar 40GB
3. CD R/W drive: TDK
4. D-link NIC

Since I was not able to connect to the Internet because I did not have
the proper NIC driver, I had to borrow a floppy drive from my another
box so that I could install the necessary driver.

As soon as I re-booted, I smelled something burning and then saw the
power cable to the floppy glow bright red. Turning off the system
power saved me from a major disaster.

Why did it happen? The only thing I can think of it was that I might
have reversed the interface ribbon connection. I wonder that was the
real cause of it. I would not try to reproduce it. Can reversing the
ribbon short the power cable?

Pine wrote:
> I built a bare minimum box to install Solaris 10 x86 with the
> following:
>
> 1. MB: Asus A7V8X-X
> 2. Hard drive: WD Caivar 40GB
> 3. CD R/W drive: TDK
> 4. D-link NIC
>
> Since I was not able to connect to the Internet because I did not have
> the proper NIC driver, I had to borrow a floppy drive from my another
> box so that I could install the necessary driver.
>
> As soon as I re-booted, I smelled something burning and then saw the
> power cable to the floppy glow bright red. Turning off the system
> power saved me from a major disaster.
>
> Why did it happen? The only thing I can think of it was that I might
> have reversed the interface ribbon connection. I wonder that was the
> real cause of it. I would not try to reproduce it. Can reversing the
> ribbon short the power cable?

A reversed ribbon cable connection wouldn't cause that.

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 13:23:24 GMT, Pine <pine.solution@gmail.com> wrote:

>I built a bare minimum box to install Solaris 10 x86 with the
>following:
>
>1. MB: Asus A7V8X-X
>2. Hard drive: WD Caivar 40GB
>3. CD R/W drive: TDK
>4. D-link NIC
>
>Since I was not able to connect to the Internet because I did not have
>the proper NIC driver, I had to borrow a floppy drive from my another
>box so that I could install the necessary driver.
>
>As soon as I re-booted, I smelled something burning and then saw the
>power cable to the floppy glow bright red. Turning off the system
>power saved me from a major disaster.
>
>Why did it happen? The only thing I can think of it was that I might
>have reversed the interface ribbon connection. I wonder that was the
>real cause of it. I would not try to reproduce it. Can reversing the
>ribbon short the power cable?

No, that would just make the LED stay lit up usually. If you had the
little 4 pin power connector shifted over an on just 3 pin so either the 5
or 12 volts (depending on the way you had it shifted) was routing back
through the ground, maybe that would do it.

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

Pine <pine.solution@gmail.com> wrote:

>I built a bare minimum box to install Solaris 10 x86 with the
>following:
>1. MB: Asus A7V8X-X
>2. Hard drive: WD Caivar 40GB
>3. CD R/W drive: TDK
>4. D-link NIC
>As soon as I re-booted, I smelled something burning and then saw
>the power cable to the floppy glow bright red. Turning off the
>system power saved me from a major disaster.
>Why did it happen? The only thing I can think of it was that I
>might have reversed the interface ribbon connection. I wonder that
>was the real cause of it. I would not try to reproduce it.

I guess not.

>Can reversing the ribbon short the power cable?

Like the others have said, reversing the ribbon does not cause a
fire. Seems that either the power supply, the cable, or the floppy
to drive is at fault.

Did you reverse the power cable? I would be concerned about the
integrity of the power supply. I would use different cables. If you
use the same floppy disk drive, of course be very careful.

Good luck.

--
Writing the first dynamically timed systemwide macro recorder for
Windows XP. Please see (comp.windows.open-look). Coding help is

Pine wrote:
> I built a bare minimum box to install Solaris 10 x86 with the
> following:
>
> 1. MB: Asus A7V8X-X
> 2. Hard drive: WD Caivar 40GB
> 3. CD R/W drive: TDK
> 4. D-link NIC
>
> Since I was not able to connect to the Internet because I did not have
> the proper NIC driver, I had to borrow a floppy drive from my another
> box so that I could install the necessary driver.
>
> As soon as I re-booted, I smelled something burning and then saw the
> power cable to the floppy glow bright red. Turning off the system
> power saved me from a major disaster.
>
> Why did it happen? The only thing I can think of it was that I might
> have reversed the interface ribbon connection. I wonder that was the
> real cause of it. I would not try to reproduce it. Can reversing the
> ribbon short the power cable?

I suggest getting a proper PSU...that one sounds like a fire hazard, not
to mention the potential to damage the rest of the computer.

http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/

rene

"spodosaurus" <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> schreef in bericht
> Pine wrote:
>> I built a bare minimum box to install Solaris 10 x86 with the
>> following:
>>
>> 1. MB: Asus A7V8X-X
>> 2. Hard drive: WD Caivar 40GB
>> 3. CD R/W drive: TDK
>> 4. D-link NIC
>>
>> Since I was not able to connect to the Internet because I did not have
>> the proper NIC driver, I had to borrow a floppy drive from my another
>> box so that I could install the necessary driver.
>>
>> As soon as I re-booted, I smelled something burning and then saw the
>> power cable to the floppy glow bright red. Turning off the system
>> power saved me from a major disaster. Why did it happen? The only thing I
>> can think of it was that I might
>> have reversed the interface ribbon connection. I wonder that was the
>> real cause of it. I would not try to reproduce it. Can reversing the
>> ribbon short the power cable?
>>

> I suggest getting a proper PSU...that one sounds like a fire hazard, not
> to mention the potential to damage the rest of the computer.

This does not necessarily mean the psu is dangerous. At 5 Volt, it can for
example give 20 amps (perhaps even more). 20 amps are enough to start a
fire.

Could it be that there has been some sort of short-circuit at the floppy
drive? Perhaps the pcb touched the metal of Your case and thus made a
short-circuit. Or perhaps a screw You dropped and that got stuck somewhere?
I have sometimes misplaced the ribbon cable and the worst consequence was
that the pc did not boot up anymore.

What I would try is first put the drive in an old (disposable) computer and
try if it is still OK. If yes, connect it to the new computer, put it on top
of something isolating (a plastic box for example), and try it again.

I once had a short circuit on a mobo because of short-circuit with the case
by means of one of those brass distance-things (sorry, English is not my
mother tongue), and it gave a lot of smoke and an awful smell. There's much
power in a computer psu, and that can be a fire hazard, but if the current
is not enough to blow the fuse, it might still be enough to set something on
fire.

Good luck,
Rene

"Matt" <matt@themattfella.zzzz.com> wrote in message
> Pine wrote:
>
>> As soon as I re-booted, I smelled something burning and then saw the
>> power cable to the floppy glow bright red. Turning off the system
>> power saved me from a major disaster. Why did it happen? The only thing I
>> can think of it was that I might
>> have reversed the interface ribbon connection. I wonder that was the
>> real cause of it. I would not try to reproduce it. Can reversing the
>> ribbon short the power cable?
>>

> I have to disagree with the others on this one.
>
> The floppy ribbon cable has two rows of pins. IIRC every pin in one row
> is a ground line, and roughly every pin in the other row is a data line.
> If you plug the cable in backwards, you can create smoke.
>
> In '96 I got a call from a panicked inexperienced tech who did this while
> installing a floppy in a server. There were smoke and sparks, and the
> floppy was ruined, but the rest of the computer was okay. We simply put
> in a new floppy correctly and all was well.
>
> Nowadays floppies, cables, and controllers are keyed to prevent such
> errors in polarity. I believe they have also improved the circuitry in
> floppies to make them tolerant of this error---tolerant in the sense that
> reversing the ribbon cable doesn't usually produce smoke or ruin
> components. Still of course the floppy won't perform unless you get the
> cabling correct.
>
> So if you were using old unkeyed components, I would say that reversing
> the floppy cable could have caused your problem.

I've never seen reversing the ribbon cable do anything other then cause the
floppy drive to be inaccessable and the light remains on :)

Matt <matt@themattfella.zzzz.com> wrote:
>Pine wrote:

>> As soon as I re-booted, I smelled something burning and then saw
>> the power cable to the floppy glow bright red. Turning off the
>> system power saved me from a major disaster.
>> Why did it happen? The only thing I can think of it was that I
>> might have reversed the interface ribbon connection. I wonder
>> that was the real cause of it. I would not try to reproduce it.
>> Can reversing the ribbon short the power cable?
>>

>I have to disagree with the others on this one.
>
>The floppy ribbon cable has two rows of pins. IIRC every pin in
>one row is a ground line, and roughly every pin in the other row is
>a data line.
> If you plug the cable in backwards, you can create smoke.

The original poster was asking whether reversing the data cable can
short the power cable. The data lines probably cannot source or sink
much current, so it really doesn't matter to what they are
connected. The data cable wasn't overheating. The question is
whether the confusion caused by reversing the data cable can cause
the power cable to short. Conceivably the confusion could cause the
drive to act erratically and produce an unforeseen large
current/power consumption and abnormal wear, but it won't cause the
power cable to short.

John E. Carty wrote:
> "Matt" <matt@themattfella.zzzz.com> wrote in message
>
>>Pine wrote:
>>

>>>As soon as I re-booted, I smelled something burning and then saw the
>>>power cable to the floppy glow bright red. Turning off the system
>>>power saved me from a major disaster. Why did it happen? The only thing I
>>>can think of it was that I might
>>>have reversed the interface ribbon connection. I wonder that was the
>>>real cause of it. I would not try to reproduce it. Can reversing the
>>>ribbon short the power cable?
>>>

>>I have to disagree with the others on this one.
>>
>>The floppy ribbon cable has two rows of pins. IIRC every pin in one row
>>is a ground line, and roughly every pin in the other row is a data line.
>>If you plug the cable in backwards, you can create smoke.
>>
>>In '96 I got a call from a panicked inexperienced tech who did this while
>>installing a floppy in a server. There were smoke and sparks, and the
>>floppy was ruined, but the rest of the computer was okay. We simply put
>>in a new floppy correctly and all was well.
>>
>>Nowadays floppies, cables, and controllers are keyed to prevent such
>>errors in polarity. I believe they have also improved the circuitry in
>>floppies to make them tolerant of this error---tolerant in the sense that
>>reversing the ribbon cable doesn't usually produce smoke or ruin
>>components. Still of course the floppy won't perform unless you get the
>>cabling correct.
>>
>>So if you were using old unkeyed components, I would say that reversing
>>the floppy cable could have caused your problem.
>

> I've never seen reversing the ribbon cable do anything other then cause the
> floppy drive to be inaccessable and the light remains on :)

same here

http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/

"Pine" <pine.solution@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I built a bare minimum box to install Solaris 10 x86 with the
> following:
>
> 1. MB: Asus A7V8X-X
> 2. Hard drive: WD Caivar 40GB
> 3. CD R/W drive: TDK
> 4. D-link NIC
>
> Since I was not able to connect to the Internet because I did not have
> the proper NIC driver, I had to borrow a floppy drive from my another
> box so that I could install the necessary driver.
>
> As soon as I re-booted, I smelled something burning and then saw the
> power cable to the floppy glow bright red. Turning off the system
> power saved me from a major disaster.
>
> Why did it happen? The only thing I can think of it was that I might
> have reversed the interface ribbon connection. I wonder that was the
> real cause of it. I would not try to reproduce it. Can reversing the
> ribbon short the power cable?

a brand new floppy is £4.00 just go buy one

David Maynard <nospam@private.net> wrote:
>Conor wrote:
>> In article <GnQRd.8243$Td3.5859@news02.roc.ny>, Matt says...

>>> The floppy ribbon cable has two rows of pins. IIRC every pin in
>>> one row is a ground line, and roughly every pin in the other row
>>> is a data line. If you plug the cable in backwards, you can
>>> create smoke.
>>>

>> No you can't. They're DATA lines, i.e next to no current. Also as
>> they're data lines...ZERO VOLTS is one of the states they can be
>> in.
>
>Well, that's partly true but incomplete as a 'data line' could be a
>driven output as well.

But typically it isn't. And in this case it isn't.

>And, in that case, while "ZERO VOLTS" is valid it could
>blow the output

Blowing the output and causing the cable to glow bright red are two
different things.

A troll who likes to play the Cavalry.

--

John Doe wrote:

> David Maynard <nospam@private.net> wrote:
>
>>Conor wrote:
>>
>>>In article <GnQRd.8243$Td3.5859@news02.roc.ny>, Matt says...

>>>No you can't. They're DATA lines, i.e next to no current. Also as
>>>they're data lines...ZERO VOLTS is one of the states they can be
>>>in.
>>
>>Well, that's partly true but incomplete as a 'data line' could be a
>>driven output as well.
>

> But typically it isn't.

And you counted all the "data lines" in the world, how?

There is absolutely nothing to the term "data line" that suggests an open
collector output and to suggest otherwise is simply wrong.

> And in this case it isn't.

Which was made clear and fully explained in what you sniped. In particular
"In the case of a floppy, however, the outputs are open collector pull downs."

But then, if you hadn't snipped that out it would have been even more
obvious you're just trying to be an ass.

>>And, in that case, while "ZERO VOLTS" is valid it could
>>blow the output
>

> Blowing the output and causing the cable to glow bright red are two
> different things.

Yes, they are and no one suggested otherwise. But if you're trying to imply
that blowing an output can't result in a failure that causes a chip to
pull excessive current and burn a trace, or cable wire, then you are sadly
mistaken.

> A troll who likes to play the Cavalry.

Yes, it's obvious you're just trying to be an ass.

Matt <matt@themattfella.zzzz.com> wrote:
>John Doe wrote:
>> David Maynard <nospam@private.net> wrote:

>>> Well, that's partly true but incomplete as a 'data line' could be
>>> driven output as well.
>>

>> But typically it isn't. And in this case it isn't.
>
>Yes, in graciously correcting me, David went on to say that,

The only thing David Maynard did was to troll one of the many reply
authors who properly corrected you.

--
Writing the first dynamically timed systemwide macro recorder for
Windows XP. Please see (comp.windows.open-look). Coding help is
needed, using VC++ 7.

David Maynard <nospam@private.net> wrote:

>John Doe wrote:
>
>> David Maynard <nospam@private.net> wrote:

>>> Well, that's partly true but incomplete as a 'data line' could
>>> be a driven output as well.
>>

>> But typically it isn't.
>
>And you counted all the "data lines" in the world, how?

Logic signals typically don't drive much of anything except logic
inputs. It's a well-known fact.

>There is absolutely nothing to the term "data line" that suggests
>an open collector output and to suggest otherwise is simply wrong.

Open collector or not, low current (given the context) is common.

>> And in this case it isn't.
>
>Which was made clear and fully explained in what you sniped. In
>particular "In the case of a floppy, however, the outputs are open
>collector pull downs."

Which makes your post look like a pointless troll.

>But then, if you hadn't snipped that out it would have been even
>more obvious you're just trying to be an ass.

And you a tough guy wannabe.

>>> And, in that case, while "ZERO VOLTS" is valid it could
>>> blow the output
>>

>> Blowing the output and causing the cable to glow bright red are
>> two different things.
>
>Yes, they are and no one suggested otherwise. But if you're trying
>to imply
> that blowing an output can't result in a failure that causes a
> chip to
>pull excessive current and burn a trace, or cable wire, then you
>are sadly mistaken.

I'm plainly stating that your post had nothing to do with the
original posters problem.

>> A troll who likes to play the Cavalry.
>
>Yes, it's obvious you're just trying to be an ass.

It takes one to no one, and you know them all.

John Doe wrote:

> David Maynard <nospam@private.net> wrote:
>

>>John Doe wrote:

>>>But typically it isn't.
>>
>>And you counted all the "data lines" in the world, how?
>

> Logic signals

Nice try at changing the terminology to cover your ass.

> typically don't drive much of anything except logic
> inputs. It's a well-known fact.

Check up on "data line" containing busses and you'll discover they aren't
all open collector.

>>There is absolutely nothing to the term "data line" that suggests
>>an open collector output and to suggest otherwise is simply wrong.
>

> Open collector or not,

Which was the point here: That "data lines" does not mean "open collector."

> low current (given the context) is common.

"Low current' when operating properly doesn't necessarily mean 'low
current' when busted.

>>>And in this case it isn't.
>>
>>Which was made clear and fully explained in what you sniped. In
>>particular "In the case of a floppy, however, the outputs are open
>>collector pull downs."
>

> Which makes your post look like a pointless troll.

No, it simply proves that yours was, or else you wouldn't have had to snip
in order to try and make yours sound rational.

>>But then, if you hadn't snipped that out it would have been even
>>more obvious you're just trying to be an ass.
>

> And you a tough guy wannabe.

Take your meds before it gets worse.

>>>Blowing the output and causing the cable to glow bright red are
>>>two different things.
>>
>>Yes, they are and no one suggested otherwise. But if you're trying
>>to imply
>> that blowing an output can't result in a failure that causes a
>> chip to
>>pull excessive current and burn a trace, or cable wire, then you
>>are sadly mistaken.
>

> I'm plainly stating that your post had nothing to do with the
> original posters problem.

It had to do with the message I replied to. And if you can't follow it then
stop making an ass of yourself.

>>>A troll who likes to play the Cavalry.
>>
>>Yes, it's obvious you're just trying to be an ass.
>
> It takes one to no one, and you know them all.

LOL. Well, at least you admitted it.

Dee

Matt wrote:

> JAD wrote:
>
> That would explain the fire, but aren't the power connectors always
> polarized? I don't see how they can be plugged in backwards, if that's
> what you're saying.

I somehow missed this thread before, but I managed to burn up an IDE pc
board (the one on the bottom of the drive) several years ago by somehow
getting the power plug reversed. As soon as I turned the computer, it
went "poof!" Fortunately I had another drive exactly like it and was
able to recover the data by swapping the pc board.

In article <111j0j8jt940a60@corp.supernews.com>, David Maynard says...

> Well, that's partly true but incomplete as a 'data line' could be a driven
> output as well. And, in that case, while "ZERO VOLTS" is valid it could
> blow the output if the circuit is trying to drive it to a 1 state at the
> same time.

Do you know, in 14 years of building PCs I've experienced that a sum
total of ZERO times? And it'd still not make a floppy cable glow...

--
Conor

-- George Patton

Conor wrote:

> In article <111j0j8jt940a60@corp.supernews.com>, David Maynard says...
>

>>Well, that's partly true but incomplete as a 'data line' could be a driven
>>output as well. And, in that case, while "ZERO VOLTS" is valid it could
>>blow the output if the circuit is trying to drive it to a 1 state at the
>>same time.
>>

> Do you know, in 14 years of building PCs I've experienced that a sum
> total of ZERO times? And it'd still not make a floppy cable glow...

You've never experienced a "data line" that is actively driven?

Boy, you must not have looked very hard.

A tough guy wannabe troll who routinely quotes hundreds of lines of
irrelevant text and then tells others how to post.

John Doe wrote:

> A tough guy wannabe troll who routinely quotes hundreds of lines of
> irrelevant text and then tells others how to post.

I see you've added new lies.

David Maynard <nospam@private.net> wrote:

>Conor wrote:
>
>> In article <111j0j8jt940a60@corp.supernews.com>, David Maynard
says...

>>> Well, that's partly true but incomplete as a 'data line' could be
a driven
>>> output as well. And, in that case, while "ZERO VOLTS" is valid it
could
>>> blow the output if the circuit is trying to drive it to a 1 state
at the
>>> same time.
>>>

>> Do you know, in 14 years of building PCs I've experienced that a
sum
>> total of ZERO times? And it'd still not make a floppy cable
glow...

>You've never experienced a "data line" that is actively driven?

Do you think that using double quotes instead of single quotes is
going to make your writing style like any less weird?

John Doe wrote:

> David Maynard <nospam@private.net> wrote:
>

>>Conor wrote:
>>

>>>In article <111j0j8jt940a60@corp.supernews.com>, David Maynard
>
> says...

> a driven

> could

> at the

>>>Do you know, in 14 years of building PCs I've experienced that a
>
> sum
>
>>>total of ZERO times? And it'd still not make a floppy cable
>
> glow...
>

>>You've never experienced a "data line" that is actively driven?
>

> Do you think that using double quotes instead of single quotes is
> going to make your writing style like any less weird?

If you find a site on English grammar somewhere it will explain to you what
double quotes mean.

In article <111jsjbitcv40e8@corp.supernews.com>, David Maynard says...

> You've never experienced a "data line" that is actively driven?

No, I've never experienced a floppy drive die because the cable was put
on the wrong way round.

> Boy, you must not have looked very hard.

Boy you must be stupid...

--
Conor

-- George Patton

Conor wrote:
> In article <111jsjbitcv40e8@corp.supernews.com>, David Maynard says...
>

>>You've never experienced a "data line" that is actively driven?
>>

> No, I've never experienced a floppy drive die because the cable was put
> on the wrong way round.

Neither have I. However, it is not because "They're DATA lines," as you
claimed. It is because they are open collector, as I explained.

>>Boy, you must not have looked very hard.
>>

> Boy you must be stupid...

Wrong again.

In article <111kv145f1miuf0@corp.supernews.com>, David Maynard says...

> If you find a site on English grammar somewhere it will explain to you what
> double quotes mean.

ROFL...

Rich coming from an American.

--