lost sound on Dell running ME

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
June 8, 2005 12:07:16 AM

Greetings Group,
I have a friend who tells me all the sound just quit on his Dell running ME.
Everything had been working fine for several months after we upgraded from
98SE.
I personally reviewed his systems list and the file said the sound was
working , however
I could not find the driver anywhere on the HD..
I asked the friend to update his drivers from MS, which he said he did.
However he insists the sound still doesn't work.
What would be a good starting point to try and restore my friends sound..

Thanks
RTS
June 8, 2005 6:06:37 AM

Has it been muted? Has he turned it down with the volume control?

Try hooking a headset in to see if he can hear anything.

There may be a test function in the driver, you might check that.

If nothing seems to work, you might try removing and reinstalling the
driver. If you check the Device Manager, it might show a problem.

Clark

"Rocky_T_Squirrel, Esq." <gafa_usa@/nospam\hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Greetings Group,
> I have a friend who tells me all the sound just quit on his Dell running
> ME.
> Everything had been working fine for several months after we upgraded from
> 98SE.
> I personally reviewed his systems list and the file said the sound was
> working , however
> I could not find the driver anywhere on the HD..
> I asked the friend to update his drivers from MS, which he said he did.
> However he insists the sound still doesn't work.
> What would be a good starting point to try and restore my friends sound..
>
> Thanks
> RTS

Anonymous
June 8, 2005 6:06:38 AM

And, the painfully obvious one..........check power to the speakers.
Heirloom, old and has a firm grasp of the profound

"Clark" <who@whoknows.com> wrote in message
> Has it been muted? Has he turned it down with the volume control?
>
> Try hooking a headset in to see if he can hear anything.
>
> There may be a test function in the driver, you might check that.
>
> If nothing seems to work, you might try removing and reinstalling the
> driver. If you check the Device Manager, it might show a problem.
>
> Clark
>
> "Rocky_T_Squirrel, Esq." <gafa_usa@/nospam\hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Greetings Group,
>> I have a friend who tells me all the sound just quit on his Dell running
>> ME.
>> Everything had been working fine for several months after we upgraded
>> from
>> 98SE.
>> I personally reviewed his systems list and the file said the sound was
>> working , however
>> I could not find the driver anywhere on the HD..
>> I asked the friend to update his drivers from MS, which he said he did.
>> However he insists the sound still doesn't work.
>> What would be a good starting point to try and restore my friends sound..
>>
>> Thanks
>> RTS

June 9, 2005 12:18:52 AM

Thanks for the reply Clark,
Nope the sound hasn't been muted (I did check that first thing)
As for the driver I can't seem to find one on the HD
however the "systems" stat files say that everthing is working normally
I asked the orignal owner to reload the updated driver from MS, he said he
did
but that it still didn't work.
Since then I haven't had a chance to check his downloaded driver.

RTS

"Clark" <who@whoknows.com> wrote in message
> Has it been muted? Has he turned it down with the volume control?
>
> Try hooking a headset in to see if he can hear anything.
>
> There may be a test function in the driver, you might check that.
>
> If nothing seems to work, you might try removing and reinstalling the
> driver. If you check the Device Manager, it might show a problem.
>
> Clark
>
> "Rocky_T_Squirrel, Esq." <gafa_usa@/nospam\hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Greetings Group,
> > I have a friend who tells me all the sound just quit on his Dell running
> > ME.
> > Everything had been working fine for several months after we upgraded
from
> > 98SE.
> > I personally reviewed his systems list and the file said the sound was
> > working , however
> > I could not find the driver anywhere on the HD..
> > I asked the friend to update his drivers from MS, which he said he did.
> > However he insists the sound still doesn't work.
> > What would be a good starting point to try and restore my friends
sound..

> > Thanks
> > RTS

Anonymous
June 9, 2005 12:23:11 AM

Thanks Heirloom for the reply,
yep speakers are hot and working i can get a hum with a minor impedence
load on the input side.
I did notice that the little speaker in the lower right system tray is
missing.
and the control panel, sounds controls are missing or not responding..

(side note) the friend is on cable broadband has an out of date AV and No
firewall...

I suspect a virus but his AV can't find any.

RTS

"Heirloom" <roland58XX@XXcox.net> wrote in message
news:o kPj0J9aFHA.3876@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> And, the painfully obvious one..........check power to the speakers.
> Heirloom, old and has a firm grasp of the profound
>
> "Clark" <who@whoknows.com> wrote in message
> > Has it been muted? Has he turned it down with the volume control?
> >
> > Try hooking a headset in to see if he can hear anything.
> >
> > There may be a test function in the driver, you might check that.
> >
> > If nothing seems to work, you might try removing and reinstalling the
> > driver. If you check the Device Manager, it might show a problem.
> >
> > Clark
> >
> > "Rocky_T_Squirrel, Esq." <gafa_usa@/nospam\hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> Greetings Group,
> >> I have a friend who tells me all the sound just quit on his Dell
running
> >> ME.
> >> Everything had been working fine for several months after we upgraded
> >> from
> >> 98SE.
> >> I personally reviewed his systems list and the file said the sound was
> >> working , however
> >> I could not find the driver anywhere on the HD..
> >> I asked the friend to update his drivers from MS, which he said he did.
> >> However he insists the sound still doesn't work.
> >> What would be a good starting point to try and restore my friends
sound..

> >> Thanks
> >> RTS

Anonymous
June 10, 2005 5:21:46 AM

RTS, a couple of 'starting points' - either:-

If applicable - confirm in the BIOS that the 'on-board' sound card is
enabled. (see user handbook)

and/or

Go into Control Panel | Sounds and Multimedia\Sounds and make sure the Show
volume control on the taskbar box is checked.

and/or

Go into Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs select the Windows Setup tab and
under System tools, tick the Volume Control box.

and/or

'Remove' any/all or your sound card(s) using Device Manager in Safe Mode.
Re-boot and let WinMe re-install your sound card drivers.

Mart

> Thanks Heirloom for the reply,
> yep speakers are hot and working i can get a hum with a minor impedence
> load on the input side.
> I did notice that the little speaker in the lower right system tray is
> missing.
> and the control panel, sounds controls are missing or not responding..
>
> (side note) the friend is on cable broadband has an out of date AV and No
> firewall...
>
> I suspect a virus but his AV can't find any.
>
> RTS
>
> "Heirloom" <roland58XX@XXcox.net> wrote in message
> news:o kPj0J9aFHA.3876@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>> And, the painfully obvious one..........check power to the speakers.
>> Heirloom, old and has a firm grasp of the profound
>>
>> "Clark" <who@whoknows.com> wrote in message
>> > Has it been muted? Has he turned it down with the volume control?
>> >
>> > Try hooking a headset in to see if he can hear anything.
>> >
>> > There may be a test function in the driver, you might check that.
>> >
>> > If nothing seems to work, you might try removing and reinstalling the
>> > driver. If you check the Device Manager, it might show a problem.
>> >
>> > Clark
>> >
>> > "Rocky_T_Squirrel, Esq." <gafa_usa@/nospam\hotmail.com> wrote in
>> > message
> running
> sound..

Anonymous
June 10, 2005 5:21:47 AM

Thanks Mart, I'll try your suggestions as soon as I get back to my friends
computer..
RTS

"Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
> RTS, a couple of 'starting points' - either:-
>
> If applicable - confirm in the BIOS that the 'on-board' sound card is
> enabled. (see user handbook)
>
> and/or
>
> Go into Control Panel | Sounds and Multimedia\Sounds and make sure the
Show
> volume control on the taskbar box is checked.
>
> and/or
>
> Go into Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs select the Windows Setup tab
and
> under System tools, tick the Volume Control box.
>
> and/or
>
> 'Remove' any/all or your sound card(s) using Device Manager in Safe Mode.
> Re-boot and let WinMe re-install your sound card drivers.
>
> Mart
>

> "Rocky_T_Squirrel, Esq." <gafa_usa@/nospam\hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks Heirloom for the reply,
> > yep speakers are hot and working i can get a hum with a minor
impedence
> > load on the input side.
> > I did notice that the little speaker in the lower right system tray is
> > missing.
> > and the control panel, sounds controls are missing or not responding..
> >
> > (side note) the friend is on cable broadband has an out of date AV and
No
> > firewall...
> >
> > I suspect a virus but his AV can't find any.
> >
> > RTS
> >
> > "Heirloom" <roland58XX@XXcox.net> wrote in message
> > news:o kPj0J9aFHA.3876@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> >> And, the painfully obvious one..........check power to the speakers.
> >> Heirloom, old and has a firm grasp of the profound
> >>
> >> "Clark" <who@whoknows.com> wrote in message

> > running
> > sound..

Anonymous
June 16, 2005 3:28:01 AM

Rocky_T_Squirrel, Esq. wrote:
> Thanks Mart, I'll try your suggestions as soon as I get back to my friends
> computer..
> RTS
>

> "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
>
>>RTS, a couple of 'starting points' - either:-
>>
>>If applicable - confirm in the BIOS that the 'on-board' sound card is
>>enabled. (see user handbook)
>>
>>and/or
>>
>>Go into Control Panel | Sounds and Multimedia\Sounds and make sure the
>
> Show
>
>>volume control on the taskbar box is checked.
>>
>>and/or
>>
>>Go into Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs select the Windows Setup tab
>
> and
>
>>under System tools, tick the Volume Control box.
>>
>>and/or
>>
>>'Remove' any/all or your sound card(s) using Device Manager in Safe Mode.
>>Re-boot and let WinMe re-install your sound card drivers.
>>
>>Mart
>>

>>"Rocky_T_Squirrel, Esq." <gafa_usa@/nospam\hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>Thanks Heirloom for the reply,
>>>yep speakers are hot and working i can get a hum with a minor
>
> impedence
>
>>>load on the input side.
>>>I did notice that the little speaker in the lower right system tray is
>>>missing.
>>>and the control panel, sounds controls are missing or not responding..
>>>
>>>(side note) the friend is on cable broadband has an out of date AV and
>
> No
>
>>>firewall...
>>>
>>>I suspect a virus but his AV can't find any.
>>>
>>>RTS
>>>
>>>"Heirloom" <roland58XX@XXcox.net> wrote in message
>>>news:o kPj0J9aFHA.3876@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...

>>>running

> upgraded

> was

>>>sound..

I once had had to run Directx Eradicator and reinstall Directx8.1.

Netscape radio wouldn’t work before and “Sounds & Multi Media”
icon was missing from control panel.

Jim
!