How to load/boot two versions of Win7 on seperate drives?

Currently running Win7(64-bit) in RAID-0 on 2 WD Caviar Black's.

I just purchased a SSD drive.

What I want to do is load Win7 on the SSD and use that as my main drive, while also keeping my RAID drives boot-able and in tact as they are now. (Thus, a dual-boot Win7 setup)
Will the BIOS allow me to select which drive to boot from upon start-up? My mobo is an ASUS Rampage II Extreme.
6 answers Last reply
More about load boot versions win7 seperate drives
  1. You can use Easy BCD to set your computer to allow you to select the system you want to boot.
  2. Thank you treefrog. But is a BIOS overlay really necessary? Won't bootloader do that automatically?
  3. You can use the BIOS; you just have to open it, make the boot-drive changes, save and exit your changes and re-boot - each time you start your computer.

Easy BCD is a bootloader, not a BIOS overlay. It allows more options than MS's default bootloader: it allows you to manage loading MS OSes through W7, including the OS default, selection screen, time delay, and HDD selection. I've found it very helpful in managing my dual-boot machines (XP and W7).
  4. Gotcha. Changing BIO settings each time is a pain. I used to do that with a Win 98 box in a previous life. Thanks again for the help!
  5. BTW Treefrog - Do you use SSD drives?
  6. You're welcome. I haven't moved to SSDs; I haven't done enough research to decide if they are worth the money. I haven't seen anything that lets me justify the cost/GB when I compare them to std. HDDs.
Ask a new question

Read More

Configuration NAS / RAID Boot Windows 7