ST6UNST window on start up

As of this a.m. when I cut on the puter I get a window that pops up and says
"Shortcut ST6UNST uninstaller.LNK. refers to a location that is unavailble."
Can't remember what else it says after that at the moment but, I click on
"no" and just keep going.
What is this you guys?

Thanks,
Loveem

Loveem,

A LNK file is a shortcut. It looks as if a shortcut has been deleted and
that there is a reference to this shortcut in the startup axis. Using
MSConfig, (Start, Run enter MSConfig in the box and click OK), open the
Startup tab and look for any reference to ST6UNST and uncheck. Apply &
OK, exit and reboot. This should solve the immediate problem. Next check
your system, was this something you installed/uninstalled or something
that has happened behind your back. If unknown thoroughly check your
system using your preferred AV application and then using spyware apps
such as AdAware and SpyBot Search & Destroy.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Loveembirds <Loveembirds@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> As of this a.m. when I cut on the puter I get a window that pops up
> and says "Shortcut ST6UNST uninstaller.LNK. refers to a location that
> is unavailble." Can't remember what else it says after that at the
> moment but, I click on "no" and just keep going.
> What is this you guys?

Mike,

Thanks a million, it was there in the MSConfig start up.
Not sure how it got there for I have not installed/uninstalled anything as
of late
but I ran spybot and norton and all was fine there
Guess there is a ghost in this machine but it is gone for the time being !

"Mike M" wrote:

> Loveem,
>
> A LNK file is a shortcut. It looks as if a shortcut has been deleted and
> that there is a reference to this shortcut in the startup axis. Using
> MSConfig, (Start, Run enter MSConfig in the box and click OK), open the
> Startup tab and look for any reference to ST6UNST and uncheck. Apply &
> OK, exit and reboot. This should solve the immediate problem. Next check
> your system, was this something you installed/uninstalled or something
> that has happened behind your back. If unknown thoroughly check your
> system using your preferred AV application and then using spyware apps
> such as AdAware and SpyBot Search & Destroy.
> --
> Mike Maltby MS-MVP
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>

> Loveembirds <Loveembirds@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > As of this a.m. when I cut on the puter I get a window that pops up
> > and says "Shortcut ST6UNST uninstaller.LNK. refers to a location that
> > is unavailble." Can't remember what else it says after that at the
> > moment but, I click on "no" and just keep going.
> > What is this you guys?

Thanks for the feedback and I'm pleased to read you've fixed the problem.
ST6UNST appears to be used when installing and uninstalling programs
written using Visual Basic (VB). Since you don't recall installing
anything recently it is still possible that the program was malicious
despite your having checked with Norton and SpyBot so I'd keep your eyes
open for anything else odd that might be going on "just in case".

Regards,
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Loveembirds <Loveembirds@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Mike,
>
> Thanks a million, it was there in the MSConfig start up.
> Not sure how it got there for I have not installed/uninstalled
> anything as of late
> but I ran spybot and norton and all was fine there
> Guess there is a ghost in this machine but it is gone for the time
> being !

Spyware.Wintective
Last Updated on: May 17, 2005 03:44:30 PM

Type: Spyware

Name: wintective (KeyLogger & ScreenCapture)
Version: 2.3.14
Publisher: TerKuD.com
Systems Affected: Windows 2000, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows Me, Windows
NT, Windows Server 2003, Windows XP

Risk Impact: Low

File names:
wintective.exe
When Spyware.Wintective is installed, it performs the following actions:

Creates the following files:
%ProgramFiles%\wintective\ST6UNST.LOG
%Windir%\ST6UNST.EXE
<snip>

In Memorium: Alex Nichol
Your cooperation is very appreciated.
------
> Thanks for the feedback and I'm pleased to read you've fixed the problem.
> ST6UNST appears to be used when installing and uninstalling programs
> written using Visual Basic (VB). Since you don't recall installing
> anything recently it is still possible that the program was malicious
> despite your having checked with Norton and SpyBot so I'd keep your eyes
> open for anything else odd that might be going on "just in case".
>
> Regards,
> --
> Mike Maltby MS-MVP
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>

> Loveembirds <Loveembirds@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > Mike,
> >
> > Thanks a million, it was there in the MSConfig start up.
> > Not sure how it got there for I have not installed/uninstalled
> > anything as of late
> > but I ran spybot and norton and all was fine there
> > Guess there is a ghost in this machine but it is gone for the time
> > being !

Jack,

Which would suggest that wintective.exe was written using Visual Basic.
Given that the OP was unaware of installing anything from my first post I
thought it highly likely that the PC was infected in some way and based on
your post may well have been a victim of wintective (KeyLogger &
ScreenCapture) spyware.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Jack E Martinelli <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> wrote:

> Spyware.Wintective
> Last Updated on: May 17, 2005 03:44:30 PM
>
> Type: Spyware
>
> Name: wintective (KeyLogger & ScreenCapture)
> Version: 2.3.14
> Publisher: TerKuD.com
> Systems Affected: Windows 2000, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows Me,
> Windows NT, Windows Server 2003, Windows XP
>
> Risk Impact: Low
>
> File names:
> wintective.exe
> When Spyware.Wintective is installed, it performs the following
> actions:
>
> Creates the following files:
> %ProgramFiles%\wintective\ST6UNST.LOG
> %Windir%\ST6UNST.EXE
> <snip>

As usual, I suspect you are spot-on!

Perhaps some anti-spyware tool removed the program,, leaving the uninstaller
link behind, etc.

I hope you, and your daughters, are well.
> Jack,
>
> Which would suggest that wintective.exe was written using Visual Basic.
> Given that the OP was unaware of installing anything from my first post I
> thought it highly likely that the PC was infected in some way and based on
> your post may well have been a victim of wintective (KeyLogger &
> ScreenCapture) spyware.
> --
> Mike Maltby MS-MVP
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>

> Jack E Martinelli <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> wrote:
>
> > Spyware.Wintective
> > Last Updated on: May 17, 2005 03:44:30 PM
> >
> > Type: Spyware
> >
> > Name: wintective (KeyLogger & ScreenCapture)
> > Version: 2.3.14
> > Publisher: TerKuD.com
> > Systems Affected: Windows 2000, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows Me,
> > Windows NT, Windows Server 2003, Windows XP
> >
> > Risk Impact: Low
> >
> > File names:
> > wintective.exe
> > When Spyware.Wintective is installed, it performs the following
> > actions:
> >
> > Creates the following files:
> > %ProgramFiles%\wintective\ST6UNST.LOG
> > %Windir%\ST6UNST.EXE
> > <snip>

Jack,

> I hope you, and your daughters, are well.

They are indeed thanks. Bec is stage managing a production of Madam
Butterfly due to open at the end of the month for Holland Park Opera
(http://www.operahollandpark.com/) and is being set in post WWII Japan
before heading to Edinburgh for her customary month of hectic teching on
various shows there as well as working for Perrier who make a prestigious
comedy award each year (http://perriercomedyawards.com/). My younger
daughter is slowly settling in to her job in IT and starting to put her
degree to work.

I hope that all goes well with yourself and your family,
--
Mike

Jack E Martinelli <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> wrote:

> As usual, I suspect you are spot-on!
>
> Perhaps some anti-spyware tool removed the program,, leaving the
> uninstaller link behind, etc.
>
> I hope you, and your daughters, are well.

That's just great, Mike. Hard to imagine how it could be better!

> I hope that all goes well with yourself and your family, "

Family here is very good, with grand kids doing quite well in school, and
daughter working furiously to relocate to Chapel Hill, North Carolina, for a
warmer climate and better schools. Unfortunately, much of the eastern US
want to go there just now, too, and finding an affordable home is rather
difficult this year. Homes are selling at 105% of the asking price in five
days or less. And she has the aditional trouble of selling her Boston home,
also.
I suspect you know where much of my "free" time has gone recently.
I now have two "To Do" lists.
> Jack,
>
> > I hope you, and your daughters, are well.
>
> They are indeed thanks. Bec is stage managing a production of Madam
> Butterfly due to open at the end of the month for Holland Park Opera
> (http://www.operahollandpark.com/) and is being set in post WWII Japan
> before heading to Edinburgh for her customary month of hectic teching on
> various shows there as well as working for Perrier who make a prestigious
> comedy award each year (http://perriercomedyawards.com/). My younger
> daughter is slowly settling in to her job in IT and starting to put her
> degree to work.
>
> I hope that all goes well with yourself and your family,
> --
> Mike

<snip>

Jack E Martinelli <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> wrote:

> That's just great, Mike. Hard to imagine how it could be better!
>
> Family here is very good, with grand kids doing quite well in school,

Sounds good to me. No grandkids here nor are there likely to be anytime
soon if ever.

> and daughter working furiously to relocate to Chapel Hill, North
> Carolina, for a warmer climate and better schools.

Better climate I can understand but that's a long way to go for a better
school! <g>

> Unfortunately,
> much of the eastern US want to go there just now, too, and finding an
> affordable home is rather difficult this year. Homes are selling at
> 105% of the asking price in five days or less.

That's good for the sellers. I just hope that the bust doesn't come too
soon or that the cost of money (interest) doesn't go through the roof as
it has here at times.

> And she has the
> aditional trouble of selling her Boston home, also.
> I suspect you know where much of my "free" time has gone recently.

Not really Jack. If you want to e-mail me anytime you know where to find
me. :)

> I now have two "To Do" lists.

Just two?
--