  • HP Printers
Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
a b α HP
June 9, 2005 5:26:51 PM

Greetings All,

About two weeks ago I replaced my aging HP printer for a new Canon and after
verifying that the Canon was working satisfactorily I set about to remove
the files HP had installed. The Add/Remove feature took away a few but left
many behind. I found an Uninstall EXE among the HP* search and it took off
a few more. I have isolated (to the Recycle Bin) 20 or so HP-specific fonts
but there are still 87 files hanging around with an HP prefix, including a
couple of folders with more files in them. Among the 87 HP* files are 32
DLLs, 9 INIs, and 12 LOG and EXE, the remainder being other miscellaneous
types.

What risk do I run, if any, by simply moving everything beginning with HP to
the Recycle Bin? Or is there an even better way to clean my HD up? I would
like to scrap all the unnecessary extraneous stuff.

Thanx,

Ken Bland
--

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources." -- Albert
Einstein

More about : remove files

Anonymous
a b α HP
June 9, 2005 8:38:01 PM

Hey Ken,
Find version 1.3 of jv16 Power Tools (last free version, still available
for dl'd, do a Google search). It will do a great job of removing detritus
from uninstalled programs, however, it is not perfect. i.e., when I removed
Norton AV, after all the uninstall, reg cleaning, etc., I still found over
280 registry entries for Symantec, Live Update, Norton and the like. You
should be able to look at the Properties of *most* any given file and
determine its' origin. The best bet would be to remove the files and keep
them in the Recycle Bin, for a while, until you make sure everything is
working as it should. I know I'm not much help, maybe one of the gurus
will chime in with some better ideas.
Heirloom, old and still likes Me

"Justin Thyme" <krblmb@brainspring.com> wrote in message
> Greetings All,
>
> About two weeks ago I replaced my aging HP printer for a new Canon and
> after
> verifying that the Canon was working satisfactorily I set about to remove
> the files HP had installed. The Add/Remove feature took away a few but
> left
> many behind. I found an Uninstall EXE among the HP* search and it took
> off
> a few more. I have isolated (to the Recycle Bin) 20 or so HP-specific
> fonts
> but there are still 87 files hanging around with an HP prefix, including a
> couple of folders with more files in them. Among the 87 HP* files are 32
> DLLs, 9 INIs, and 12 LOG and EXE, the remainder being other miscellaneous
> types.
>
> What risk do I run, if any, by simply moving everything beginning with HP
> the Recycle Bin? Or is there an even better way to clean my HD up? I
> would
> like to scrap all the unnecessary extraneous stuff.
>
> Thanx,
>
> Ken Bland
> --
>
> "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources." --
> Albert
> Einstein

June 9, 2005 11:54:27 PM

I would not put these files in the recycle bin. You could accidentally empty
that bin. From where you are now.... I suggest you "restore" all the files back
to their original location. Then you could do another search and "move" all the
files to an appropriately name folder and wait for at least a couple of weeks to
see if you have any problems. The danger then would be that you might not know
where they came from. So another method that I sometimes use is to rename the
files. If the common denominator is that all the files start with HP as in
HP*.*... you could add an X or Z after the HP. The files are then effectively
useless after renaming them. Again, wait a couple of weeks to see if there are
any problems with any of these files missing.
You can use the command line to rename the files all at once. I THINK the
command would be, from the root directory...
ren hp*.* hpz*.* /s
Before using this command wait for someone else to chime in here in case I've
forgotten my DOS commands.
You will likely find many leftover references to the HP printer in the registry.
If you edit the registry make sure you back it up first. There are freebie tools
that will check your registry for orphaned files. One is here:
http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptpruner.asp
It seems to be pretty safe although is limited in what it intends to do.

Justin Thyme wrote:
> Greetings All,
>
> About two weeks ago I replaced my aging HP printer for a new Canon and after
> verifying that the Canon was working satisfactorily I set about to remove
> the files HP had installed. The Add/Remove feature took away a few but left
> many behind. I found an Uninstall EXE among the HP* search and it took off
> a few more. I have isolated (to the Recycle Bin) 20 or so HP-specific fonts
> but there are still 87 files hanging around with an HP prefix, including a
> couple of folders with more files in them. Among the 87 HP* files are 32
> DLLs, 9 INIs, and 12 LOG and EXE, the remainder being other miscellaneous
> types.
>
> What risk do I run, if any, by simply moving everything beginning with HP to
> the Recycle Bin? Or is there an even better way to clean my HD up? I would
> like to scrap all the unnecessary extraneous stuff.
>
> Thanx,
>
> Ken Bland
a b α HP
June 10, 2005 7:23:16 PM

"DanR" <dan@my-olddeja.com> wrote in message
> I would not put these files in the recycle bin. You could accidentally
empty
> that bin.

<Remainder snipped>

My thanks to you both. The ideas are what I hoped for here. I have in
times past renamed files, often adding a suffix to the extension, or
occasionally prefixing a name with a minus sign. I will be very careful and
do nothing risky for a while.

Ken Bland
Anonymous
a b α HP