Memory

I originally had 512 mb Kingston memory. I installed 3 more sticks of
Kingston memory. At POST the system recogonizes 2173 mb memory. However I
cannot tell one bit of improvement in the system performance. I even tried
to turn off the pagefile to try and make the system use all the memory but
the system slowed down and Windows still showed a little pagefile usage.
Should I just pull out 1 GB and use only 1 GB and use the pulled out memory
in another system?
6 answers Last reply
More about memory

    How are you measuring system performance? More
    ram isn't going to make it run faster if the benchmark
    only needs 1 gig or less.

    johns

    Hans Wankle wrote:
    > I originally had 512 mb Kingston memory. I installed 3 more sticks of
    > Kingston memory. At POST the system recogonizes 2173 mb memory. However I
    > cannot tell one bit of improvement in the system performance. I even tried
    > to turn off the pagefile to try and make the system use all the memory but
    > the system slowed down and Windows still showed a little pagefile usage.
    > Should I just pull out 1 GB and use only 1 GB and use the pulled out memory
    > in another system?

    Although it has nothing to do with your situation, what make and model
    of MB are you using? Just curious.

    In order to benefit by increasing one's RAM from 1 GB to 2 GB you must be
    using an application that UTILIZES up to 2 GB of RAM, like Photoshop, video
    editting programs, etc. In most applications you will see NO difference.

    --
    DaveW

    "Hans Wankle" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote in message
    >I originally had 512 mb Kingston memory. I installed 3 more sticks of
    >Kingston memory. At POST the system recogonizes 2173 mb memory. However I
    >cannot tell one bit of improvement in the system performance. I even tried
    >to turn off the pagefile to try and make the system use all the memory but
    >the system slowed down and Windows still showed a little pagefile usage.
    >Should I just pull out 1 GB and use only 1 GB and use the pulled out memory
    >in another system?

    "Hans Wankle" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote in message
    >I originally had 512 mb Kingston memory. I installed 3 more sticks of
    >Kingston memory. At POST the system recogonizes 2173 mb memory. However I
    >cannot tell one bit of improvement in the system performance. I even tried
    >to turn off the pagefile to try and make the system use all the memory but
    >the system slowed down and Windows still showed a little pagefile usage.
    >Should I just pull out 1 GB and use only 1 GB and use the pulled out memory
    >in another system?

    What version of Windows are you using? What sort
    of apps are you running? High performance gaming
    and apps such as Photoshop benefit the most from more
    RAM.

    ---
    Kevin Chalker, Owner KC COMPUTERS
    E-mail: kc@kc-computers.com Web: www.kc-computers.com
    Internet dealer since 1991!!! See WWW.RESELLERRATINGS.COM!!!

    System is a Gigabyte GA-SINXP1394, P4 3.06 533 FSB, 4X512 Kingston PC2700,
    2X160GB SATA Maxtor set as Raid0, Windows XP Pro-SP2, 1X60GB Maxtor backup
    drive on IDE, ATI 9800XT, Plextor PX-716A DVD burner, Creative DVD player,
    Antec 550Watt True Power, 9 system and case fans, CoolerMaster ATC Server
    case. I don,t use the system for much except to web browse. I do some Photo
    projects such as scanner and photo editing. I do notice a big difference
    when playing around with the photo projects. I am 86 years old and just like
    to play around with the systems. I will be building another system shortly
    so I just needed to know if 2 GB of memory was worth the expense. Thanks for
    all you responses.

    Ken wrote:
    > Hans Wankle wrote:
    >
    >> I originally had 512 mb Kingston memory. I installed 3 more sticks of
    >> Kingston memory. At POST the system recogonizes 2173 mb memory.
    >> However I cannot tell one bit of improvement in the system
    >> performance. I even tried to turn off the pagefile to try and make the
    >> system use all the memory but the system slowed down and Windows still
    >> showed a little pagefile usage. Should I just pull out 1 GB and use
    >> only 1 GB and use the pulled out memory in another system?
    >>
    > Although it has nothing to do with your situation, what make and
    > model of MB are you using? Just curious.

    Don't know in his specific case, but some motherboards run slower when
    utilizing all 4 slots.

    I suggest taking a look at the motherboard's manual and see what it says
    regarding performance when all memory slots a utilized.

    Luck!

Homebuilt Kingston Memory Pagefile Systems