Memory

I originally had 512 mb Kingston memory. I installed 3 more sticks of
Kingston memory. At POST the system recogonizes 2173 mb memory. However I
cannot tell one bit of improvement in the system performance. I even tried
to turn off the pagefile to try and make the system use all the memory but
the system slowed down and Windows still showed a little pagefile usage.
Should I just pull out 1 GB and use only 1 GB and use the pulled out memory
in another system?

JohnS

How are you measuring system performance? More
ram isn't going to make it run faster if the benchmark
only needs 1 gig or less.

johns

ken

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2004

Hans Wankle wrote:
> I originally had 512 mb Kingston memory. I installed 3 more sticks of
> Kingston memory. At POST the system recogonizes 2173 mb memory. However I
> cannot tell one bit of improvement in the system performance. I even tried
> to turn off the pagefile to try and make the system use all the memory but
> the system slowed down and Windows still showed a little pagefile usage.
> Should I just pull out 1 GB and use only 1 GB and use the pulled out memory
> in another system?

Although it has nothing to do with your situation, what make and model
of MB are you using? Just curious.

In order to benefit by increasing one's RAM from 1 GB to 2 GB you must be
using an application that UTILIZES up to 2 GB of RAM, like Photoshop, video
editting programs, etc. In most applications you will see NO difference.

--
DaveW

"Hans Wankle" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote in message
>I originally had 512 mb Kingston memory. I installed 3 more sticks of
>Kingston memory. At POST the system recogonizes 2173 mb memory. However I
>cannot tell one bit of improvement in the system performance. I even tried
>to turn off the pagefile to try and make the system use all the memory but
>the system slowed down and Windows still showed a little pagefile usage.
>Should I just pull out 1 GB and use only 1 GB and use the pulled out memory
>in another system?

"Hans Wankle" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote in message
>I originally had 512 mb Kingston memory. I installed 3 more sticks of
>Kingston memory. At POST the system recogonizes 2173 mb memory. However I
>cannot tell one bit of improvement in the system performance. I even tried
>to turn off the pagefile to try and make the system use all the memory but
>the system slowed down and Windows still showed a little pagefile usage.
>Should I just pull out 1 GB and use only 1 GB and use the pulled out memory
>in another system?

What version of Windows are you using? What sort
of apps are you running? High performance gaming
and apps such as Photoshop benefit the most from more
RAM.

---
Kevin Chalker, Owner KC COMPUTERS
E-mail: kc@kc-computers.com Web: www.kc-computers.com
Internet dealer since 1991!!! See WWW.RESELLERRATINGS.COM!!!

System is a Gigabyte GA-SINXP1394, P4 3.06 533 FSB, 4X512 Kingston PC2700,
2X160GB SATA Maxtor set as Raid0, Windows XP Pro-SP2, 1X60GB Maxtor backup
drive on IDE, ATI 9800XT, Plextor PX-716A DVD burner, Creative DVD player,
Antec 550Watt True Power, 9 system and case fans, CoolerMaster ATC Server
case. I don,t use the system for much except to web browse. I do some Photo
projects such as scanner and photo editing. I do notice a big difference
when playing around with the photo projects. I am 86 years old and just like
to play around with the systems. I will be building another system shortly
so I just needed to know if 2 GB of memory was worth the expense. Thanks for
all you responses.

Ken wrote:
> Hans Wankle wrote:
>
>> I originally had 512 mb Kingston memory. I installed 3 more sticks of
>> Kingston memory. At POST the system recogonizes 2173 mb memory.
>> However I cannot tell one bit of improvement in the system
>> performance. I even tried to turn off the pagefile to try and make the
>> system use all the memory but the system slowed down and Windows still
>> showed a little pagefile usage. Should I just pull out 1 GB and use
>> only 1 GB and use the pulled out memory in another system?
>>
> Although it has nothing to do with your situation, what make and
> model of MB are you using? Just curious.

Don't know in his specific case, but some motherboards run slower when
utilizing all 4 slots.

I suggest taking a look at the motherboard's manual and see what it says
regarding performance when all memory slots a utilized.

Luck!