Defrag keeps restarting

"Drive contents changed. Restarting." Sometimes WME can't defrag the C:
drive because of all the restarts. What causes them? What can be done about
them?

Many thanks.

KB

Try this. Start the defragmenter. When the select drive comes up, hit the
settings button.

Uncheck:
-Rearrange program files so my programs start faster.
-Check the drive for errors (I believe scandisk will take care of this
function)

See if it completes.

Good luck.

KB

KB wrote:
> Try this. Start the defragmenter. When the select drive comes up, hit the
> settings button.
>
> Uncheck:
> -Rearrange program files so my programs start faster.
> -Check the drive for errors (I believe scandisk will take care of this
> function)

I would *NOT* recommend unchecking "check the drive for errors". The
problem is there's background tasks running. Either...

- Run in Safe Mode, or
- End all Tasks first, or
- use ScanDefrag to automate (Restrictive Mode)

Rick

> See if it completes.
>
> Good luck.
>
> KB
> "Walterius" <nohow@noway.not> wrote in message
>
>>"Drive contents changed. Restarting." Sometimes WME can't defrag the C:
>>drive because of all the restarts. What causes them? What can be done
>
> about
>
>>them?
>>
>>Many thanks.

Thanks, but I normally run it with those two options unchecked. Doesn't
help.
"KB" <KB@discussions.winme> wrote in message
> Try this. Start the defragmenter. When the select drive comes up, hit
the
> settings button.
>
> Uncheck:
> -Rearrange program files so my programs start faster.
> -Check the drive for errors (I believe scandisk will take care of this
> function)
>
> See if it completes.
>
> Good luck.
>
> KB
> "Walterius" <nohow@noway.not> wrote in message
> > "Drive contents changed. Restarting." Sometimes WME can't defrag the C:
> > drive because of all the restarts. What causes them? What can be done
> about
> > them?
> >
> > Many thanks.

Alias

Do it in Safe Mode. Might want to do a clean up/scan disk first.

Alias

Walterius wrote:
> ScanDefrag works great! Many thanks!

:)