Can’t change screen resolution?

It seems my computer won’t allow me to change my screen resolution. I
am currently running at 800x600, and am trying to increase it to
1024x728. Whenever I change it, the screen turns black and the lights
on the monitor flicker. My monitor is a "Dell E551c" model. The
video card is a "16MB ATI Rage 128 Ultra". (Go ahead and laugh at my
pathetic video card :P). Anyway, what can I do?

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-change-screen-resolution-ftopict545014.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1720708
2 answers Last reply
More about change screen resolution

    Reboot to Safe Mode
    Open Device Manager
    Remove ALL Display Adapters
    Remove ALL Monitors
    Reboot to Normal Mode - Windows will reinstall the required drivers -
    hopefully curing your problem.

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

    http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    "Noel Paton" wrote:
    > Reboot to Safe Mode
    > Open Device Manager
    > Remove ALL Display Adapters
    > Remove ALL Monitors
    > Reboot to Normal Mode - Windows will reinstall the required
    > drivers -
    > hopefully curing your problem.
    >

    > --
    > Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
    >
    > Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
    >
    > Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post
    > messages to NG's
    >
    > "InfiniteChaos" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in
    > message
    > > It seems my computer won’t allow me to change my screen
    > resolution. I
    > > am currently running at 800x600, and am trying to increase
    > it to
    > > 1024x728. Whenever I change it, the screen turns black and
    > the lights
    > > on the monitor flicker. My monitor is a "Dell E551c" model.
    > The
    > > video card is a "16MB ATI Rage 128 Ultra". (Go ahead and
    > laugh at my
    > > pathetic video card :P). Anyway, what can I do?
    > >
    > > --
    > > Posted using the http://www.windowsforumz.com interface, at author's
    > > request
    > standards
    > > Topic URL:
    > > http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-change-screen-resolution-ftopict545014.html
    > > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report
    > abuse:
    > > http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1720708

    I tried what Noel said, and it still didn’t work. I got the same
    problem again. And to Rick, I’m talking about the main resolution, not
    for a video game.

Graphics Cards Screen Resolution Monitors Windows