Can’t change screen resolution?

It seems my computer won’t allow me to change my screen resolution. I
am currently running at 800x600, and am trying to increase it to
1024x728. Whenever I change it, the screen turns black and the lights
on the monitor flicker. My monitor is a "Dell E551c" model. The
video card is a "16MB ATI Rage 128 Ultra". (Go ahead and laugh at my
pathetic video card :p). Anyway, what can I do?

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-change-screen-resolution-ftopict545014.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1720708

Reboot to Safe Mode
Open Device Manager
Remove ALL Display Adapters
Remove ALL Monitors
Reboot to Normal Mode - Windows will reinstall the required drivers -
hopefully curing your problem.

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

"Noel Paton" wrote:
> Reboot to Safe Mode
> Open Device Manager
> Remove ALL Display Adapters
> Remove ALL Monitors
> Reboot to Normal Mode - Windows will reinstall the required
> drivers -
> hopefully curing your problem.
>

> --
> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>
> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
>
> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
>
> Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post
> messages to NG's
>
> "InfiniteChaos" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in
> message
> > It seems my computer won’t allow me to change my screen
> resolution. I
> > am currently running at 800x600, and am trying to increase
> it to
> > 1024x728. Whenever I change it, the screen turns black and
> the lights
> > on the monitor flicker. My monitor is a "Dell E551c" model.
> The
> > video card is a "16MB ATI Rage 128 Ultra". (Go ahead and
> laugh at my
> > pathetic video card :p). Anyway, what can I do?
> >
> > --
> > Posted using the http://www.windowsforumz.com interface, at author's
> > request
> standards
> > Topic URL:
> > http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-change-screen-resolution-ftopict545014.html
> > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report
> abuse:
> > http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1720708

I tried what Noel said, and it still didn’t work. I got the same
problem again. And to Rick, I’m talking about the main resolution, not
for a video game.