Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

New build with SATA boot, old IDE drives not recognized

Last response: in Systems
Share
February 21, 2005 10:34:21 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

I just built a new system with a SATA boot drive. I then added two
IDE drives from my old system. However, they are not recognized at
all. I also have two IDE DVD drives connected and they are fine.

Motherboard is a MSI K8N Platinum SLI (939). Do I have to do
something with RAID to get them recognized? DVD drives are on IDE2
and the hard drives are on IDE1.

Thanks

G
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
February 22, 2005 1:33:07 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

"G" <Ihatespam@earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:82lj11h0l4vs0bpnflmf5rg1c088mhcg1o@4ax.com...
> I just built a new system with a SATA boot drive. I then added two
> IDE drives from my old system. However, they are not recognized at
> all. I also have two IDE DVD drives connected and they are fine.
>
> Motherboard is a MSI K8N Platinum SLI (939). Do I have to do
> something with RAID to get them recognized? DVD drives are on IDE2
> and the hard drives are on IDE1.
>
> Thanks
>
> G

Are they detected by BIOS? If not, check IDE1 is enabled. What OS???
Mike.
February 22, 2005 1:33:08 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 22:33:07 -0000, "Michael Hawes"
<michael.hawes1remove@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

>
>"G" <Ihatespam@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>news:82lj11h0l4vs0bpnflmf5rg1c088mhcg1o@4ax.com...
>> I just built a new system with a SATA boot drive. I then added two
>> IDE drives from my old system. However, they are not recognized at
>> all. I also have two IDE DVD drives connected and they are fine.
>>
>> Motherboard is a MSI K8N Platinum SLI (939). Do I have to do
>> something with RAID to get them recognized? DVD drives are on IDE2
>> and the hard drives are on IDE1.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> G
>
> Are they detected by BIOS? If not, check IDE1 is enabled. What OS???
> Mike.
>
They are not detected in BIOS. I can't seem to find anywhere that
says IDE1 is disabled or enabled. I installed Windows XP.

I am wondering if I might have to set them up as RAID enabled JBODs.
Related resources
February 22, 2005 12:06:06 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

G wrote:

>
> They are not detected in BIOS. I can't seem to find anywhere that
> says IDE1 is disabled or enabled. I installed Windows XP.
>
> I am wondering if I might have to set them up as RAID enabled JBODs.

You should be able to go into the BIOS and set the detection of the IDE
channels to "Auto Detect." It may currently be off.
February 28, 2005 11:23:30 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 09:06:06 -0500, Dee <dee@home.net> wrote:

>G wrote:
>
>>
>> They are not detected in BIOS. I can't seem to find anywhere that
>> says IDE1 is disabled or enabled. I installed Windows XP.
>>
>> I am wondering if I might have to set them up as RAID enabled JBODs.
>
>You should be able to go into the BIOS and set the detection of the IDE
>channels to "Auto Detect." It may currently be off.

Turns out that after I switched the Hard Drives to use IDE2 and the
DVD drives to use IDE1 that every thing got recognized. For whatever
reason IDE1 did not like my two hard drives. But IDE2 has no problem
with them. Go figure!
!