Windows explorer folder tree

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
June 12, 2005 4:42:01 AM

My folder tree (left pane) in Windows explorer has disappeared. Does anyone
know how to restore it?
Background to this is a clear out of start-up programs after persistant "low
system resources" messages. What have I removed that I shouldn't have done
and how do I put it back.
TIA for any advice
Mag
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 1:12:34 PM

Explorer's Folder View:

This particular problem is often the result of a damaged IE (usually IE6)
install or update, usually caused by doing so with either Norton or McAfee
AV running at the time. Yes I do realise you are talking about Windows
Explorer rather than Internet Explorer but the two are linked.

The first thing to try is to re-register the file shdocvw.dll. Do this by
typing the following command in the Run box (Start | Run)
REGSVR32 /i SHDOCVW.DLL
and then click OK

If that doesn't fix the problem then try repairing IE. Do this using
Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs and highlight Microsoft Internet
Explorer, click Add/Remove and then on the next screen select "Repair
Internet Explorer" and then OK.

If you don't have an entry for Microsoft Internet Explorer but rather it
reads something like Internet Explorer Q?????? don't worry. This is
because you have installed a cumulative update for Internet Explorer. You
will need to uninstall the update, then go back into Add/Remove Programs,
look again for Microsoft Internet Explorer, repair it and then reinstall
the latest cumulative update.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Magnus <Magnus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> My folder tree (left pane) in Windows explorer has disappeared. Does
> anyone know how to restore it?
> Background to this is a clear out of start-up programs after
> persistant "low system resources" messages. What have I removed that
> I shouldn't have done and how do I put it back.
> TIA for any advice
> Mag
June 13, 2005 1:43:01 AM

Thanks Mike - I'll try that