saving passwords?

When visiting websites I am a member of, I use to be able to just click OK
and log into the members area without having to type my username and password
because I checked the box that says, "save this password in your password
list" in the enter network password pop-up screen, but now for some odd
reason(s) everytime I want to log into these websites I have to type and
retype my username and password. This is a real hastle since I've never had
to enter a username or password for so long. I guess I've gotten lazy, but I
don't know what's wrong, can anyone help?
4 answers Last reply
More about saving passwords

    Hi,
    Were login boxes popping up? Was Autocomplete filling in the name and
    password for you? Or, was it the case, at these sites, that you stayed
    logged in if you didn't deliberately log out?

    Don
    [MS MVP- IE/OE]

    "ptl2003" wrote in message
    > When visiting websites I am a member of, I use to be able to just click OK
    > and log into the members area without having to type my username and
    password
    > because I checked the box that says, "save this password in your password
    > list" in the enter network password pop-up screen, but now for some odd
    > reason(s) everytime I want to log into these websites I have to type and
    > retype my username and password. This is a real hastle since I've never
    had
    > to enter a username or password for so long. I guess I've gotten lazy, but
    > don't know what's wrong, can anyone help?

    The enter network password box would pop up, I would enter my username and
    password and check the box that says "save this password in your password
    list" so that the next time I visit the website I don't have to enter my
    username and password again, but the last few days my log in info aren't
    saved I would have to type and retype the username and password even though I

    "Don Varnau" wrote:

    > Hi,
    > Were login boxes popping up? Was Autocomplete filling in the name and
    > password for you? Or, was it the case, at these sites, that you stayed
    > logged in if you didn't deliberately log out?
    >
    > Don
    > [MS MVP- IE/OE]
    >
    > "ptl2003" wrote in message
    > > When visiting websites I am a member of, I use to be able to just click OK
    > > and log into the members area without having to type my username and
    > password
    > > because I checked the box that says, "save this password in your password
    > > list" in the enter network password pop-up screen, but now for some odd
    > > reason(s) everytime I want to log into these websites I have to type and
    > > retype my username and password. This is a real hastle since I've never
    > had
    > > to enter a username or password for so long. I guess I've gotten lazy, but
    > > don't know what's wrong, can anyone help?

    Hi,
    I was wondering if this was a cookies problem. Sites like EBay , Yahoo, etc
    have an option to keep you logged in unless you deliberately log out. This
    doesn't sound like that situation, but check your cookies folder to make
    sure that cookies are being kept and updated.

    Run Protected Storage PassView http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/pspv.html to
    recover all cached passwords. Save as a text file. Go to Internet Options>
    Content> Autocomplete and clear all passwords.

    If that doesn't work, with no programs open,
    Run REGEDIT and make your way to this key:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER
    Software
    Microsoft Internet Explorer
    IntelliForms
    SPW
    Export that key (Registry> Export- just in case you wish to undo the
    change) then delete it- just the SPW key.
    Restart the computer.

    Another possibility... are you logging in to Windows? It isn't necessary
    with WinME, but it is necessary for Autocomplete to work. To check this, are
    your cookies listed as your_name@somesite.com or as anyuser@somesite.com?

    Help with establishing a login:
    152104 - How to Prevent a Logon Prompt at Startup
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=152104

    Hope this helps,
    Don
    [MS MVP- IE/OE]

    "ptl2003" wrote in message
    > The enter network password box would pop up, I would enter my username and
    > password and check the box that says "save this password in your password
    > list" so that the next time I visit the website I don't have to enter my
    > username and password again, but the last few days my log in info aren't
    > saved I would have to type and retype the username and password even
    though I
    > checked the box that says "save this password in your password list".

    > "Don Varnau" wrote:
    > > Were login boxes popping up? Was Autocomplete filling in the name and
    > > password for you? Or, was it the case, at these sites, that you stayed
    > > logged in if you didn't deliberately log out?

    > > "ptl2003" wrote in message
    > > > When visiting websites I am a member of, I use to be able to just
    click OK
    > > > and log into the members area without having to type my username and
    > > password
    > > > because I checked the box that says, "save this password in your
    password
    > > > list" in the enter network password pop-up screen, but now for some
    odd
    > > > reason(s) everytime I want to log into these websites I have to type
    and
    > > > retype my username and password. This is a real hastle since I've
    never
    > > had
    > > > to enter a username or password for so long. I guess I've gotten lazy,
    but
    > > > I don't know what's wrong, can anyone help?

    Using Firefox by any chance ?

    Rick

    ptl2003 wrote:
    > When visiting websites I am a member of, I use to be able to just click OK
    > and log into the members area without having to type my username and password
    > because I checked the box that says, "save this password in your password
    > list" in the enter network password pop-up screen, but now for some odd
    > reason(s) everytime I want to log into these websites I have to type and
    > retype my username and password. This is a real hastle since I've never had
    > to enter a username or password for so long. I guess I've gotten lazy, but I
    > don't know what's wrong, can anyone help?

Microsoft Windows