Print sharing from Win XP to Win 98 via router - HELP!!

I am having trouble printing from my wirelss laptop (Win XP) to a desktop
(Win 98)with a printer connected. I have run the network wizard on the XP
machine, created a disk and ran the install on the 98 machine. I can ping
the 98 from the XP machine, but cannot ping the XP machine from the 98
machine. Linksys confirmed that it is not a router problem, but a problem
with the XP machine communicating with the 98 machine. I have had two tech
folks come out and spend about 4 hours on the issue. They can't figure it
out. Linksys can't figure it out. Both have now concluded that it has to do
with Win 98's (in)ability to communicate with Win XP. HELP!!!

Thanks.

You didn't really tell us much about the printing issue:

1. On the Win9x machine, did you share the printer?

2. On the WinXP machine, did you run the add printer wizard, and if so what
happened?

3. If #1 and #2 were completed successfully, what happens when you try to
print? If this is an older printer, check the manufacturer's web site to
see if there are updated XP drivers.

Doug Sherman
MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP

"WakeInfoHelp" <WakeInfoHelp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am having trouble printing from my wirelss laptop (Win XP) to a desktop
> (Win 98)with a printer connected. I have run the network wizard on the XP
> machine, created a disk and ran the install on the 98 machine. I can ping
> the 98 from the XP machine, but cannot ping the XP machine from the 98
> machine. Linksys confirmed that it is not a router problem, but a problem
> with the XP machine communicating with the 98 machine. I have had two
tech
> folks come out and spend about 4 hours on the issue. They can't figure it
> out. Linksys can't figure it out. Both have now concluded that it has to
do
> with Win 98's (in)ability to communicate with Win XP. HELP!!!
>
> Thanks.

Yes, the printer is shared on the Win 98 machine. I ran the wizard on the XP
machine, created the 'wizard disk' for the 98 machine, and ran the wizard
disk on the 98 machine. THe XP machine recognizes the 98 machine
(sometimes), but can't find the printer on the network. I can't ping the XP
machine from the 98 machine, either. I can ping the 98 machine from the XP
machine. Any suggestions will be much appreciated!

"Doug Sherman [MVP]" wrote:

> You didn't really tell us much about the printing issue:
>
> 1. On the Win9x machine, did you share the printer?
>
> 2. On the WinXP machine, did you run the add printer wizard, and if so what
> happened?
>
> 3. If #1 and #2 were completed successfully, what happens when you try to
> print? If this is an older printer, check the manufacturer's web site to
> see if there are updated XP drivers.
>
> Doug Sherman
> MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP
>
> "WakeInfoHelp" <WakeInfoHelp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I am having trouble printing from my wirelss laptop (Win XP) to a desktop
> > (Win 98)with a printer connected. I have run the network wizard on the XP
> > machine, created a disk and ran the install on the 98 machine. I can ping
> > the 98 from the XP machine, but cannot ping the XP machine from the 98
> > machine. Linksys confirmed that it is not a router problem, but a problem
> > with the XP machine communicating with the 98 machine. I have had two
> tech
> > folks come out and spend about 4 hours on the issue. They can't figure it
> > out. Linksys can't figure it out. Both have now concluded that it has to
> do
> > with Win 98's (in)ability to communicate with Win XP. HELP!!!
> >
> > Thanks.

Try:

1. On the XP machine ping the the Win 98 machine and write down the IP
address.

2. On the XP machine click Start/Run \\IPofWin98comp ENTER. What
happens?

3. If #1 gives you an Explorer window showing the printer, try:
Start/Run \\NameofWin98comp ENTER.

4. If #3 also gives you an Explorer window showing the printer, run the
Add printer wizard. Select Network Printer. For the printer name enter:
\\NameofWin98comp\ShareNameofPrinter.