Problems setting up a network

I have just had to reinstall windows xp pro for the first time and am
now trying to set up the wireless networking facility again. When I
try to use the network wizard, when I click finish it says that there
is a problem and that it cannot properly configure the network. I've
tried running the diagnostic tools and using this have scanned my
computer. This comes up with a number of failed messages saying "WMI
error". These occur on

Internet Explorer (unable to connect to
WMI namespace "netdiagnostics")
Modems (unable to connect....
"win32_potsmodem")
Network Adaptor unable to connect ...
"win32_networkadaptor configuration")
Network clients (unable to connect
..."win32_networkclient")

I thought I had installed all the drivers I needed but maybe this is
the problem . I don't know how to tell what drivers I need for what
hardware.
Also when I check in Device Manager there is a big yellow question
mark by other devices with further question marks under this for:

ATM network controller
Base system device
PCI simple communications controller

Again this makes me think that it might be to do with some drivers
that I might be missing.

Any help or advice would be hugely appreciated.
All the best

You definitely have a drivers problem, which must be addressed first. If you
have a drivers disk that came with the motherboard or PC, run it and install
all the drivers on it. If you bought these "?marked" devices separately,run
the disks that came with them. Once you think you have all the drivers
installed, go back into device mgr and if anything still has a yellow mark:
right click it- click properties- click the "driver" tab- click update
driver. It will search for the driver and if it can't find one it'll let you
know to get a disk or whatever. Hope this helps
"irksomerob" <robert@birmingham101-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
>I have just had to reinstall windows xp pro for the first time and am
> now trying to set up the wireless networking facility again. When I
> try to use the network wizard, when I click finish it says that there
> is a problem and that it cannot properly configure the network. I've
> tried running the diagnostic tools and using this have scanned my
> computer. This comes up with a number of failed messages saying "WMI
> error". These occur on
>
> Internet Explorer (unable to connect to
> WMI namespace "netdiagnostics")
> Modems (unable to connect....
> "win32_potsmodem")
> Network Adaptor unable to connect ...
> "win32_networkadaptor configuration")
> Network clients (unable to connect
> .."win32_networkclient")
>
> I thought I had installed all the drivers I needed but maybe this is
> the problem . I don't know how to tell what drivers I need for what
> hardware.
> Also when I check in Device Manager there is a big yellow question
> mark by other devices with further question marks under this for:
>
> ATM network controller
> Base system device
> PCI simple communications controller
>
> Again this makes me think that it might be to do with some drivers
> that I might be missing.
>
> Any help or advice would be hugely appreciated.
> All the best

"irksomerob" <robert@birmingham101-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
> I have just had to reinstall windows xp pro for the first time and am
> now trying to set up the wireless networking facility again. When I
> try to use the network wizard, when I click finish it says that there
> is a problem and that it cannot properly configure the network. I've
> tried running the diagnostic tools and using this have scanned my
> computer. This comes up with a number of failed messages saying "WMI
> error". These occur on
>
> Internet Explorer (unable to connect to
> WMI namespace "netdiagnostics")
> Modems (unable to connect....
> "win32_potsmodem")
> Network Adaptor unable to connect ...
> "win32_networkadaptor configuration")
> Network clients (unable to connect
> .."win32_networkclient")
>
> I thought I had installed all the drivers I needed but maybe this is
> the problem . I don't know how to tell what drivers I need for what
> hardware.
> Also when I check in Device Manager there is a big yellow question
> mark by other devices with further question marks under this for:
>
> ATM network controller
> Base system device
> PCI simple communications controller
>
> Again this makes me think that it might be to do with some drivers
> that I might be missing.
>
> Any help or advice would be hugely appreciated.
> All the best

the atm network driver id guess is your problem.

im no wireless expert however. i network with cables.

irksomerob wrote:

> I have just had to reinstall windows xp pro for the first time and am
> now trying to set up the wireless networking facility again. When I
> try to use the network wizard, when I click finish it says that there
> is a problem and that it cannot properly configure the network. I've
> tried running the diagnostic tools and using this have scanned my
> computer. This comes up with a number of failed messages saying "WMI
> error". These occur on
>
> Internet Explorer (unable to connect to
> WMI namespace "netdiagnostics")
> Modems (unable to connect....
> "win32_potsmodem")
> Network Adaptor unable to connect ...
> "win32_networkadaptor configuration")
> Network clients (unable to connect
> .."win32_networkclient")
>
> I thought I had installed all the drivers I needed but maybe this is
> the problem . I don't know how to tell what drivers I need for what
> hardware.
> Also when I check in Device Manager there is a big yellow question
> mark by other devices with further question marks under this for:
>
> ATM network controller
> Base system device
> PCI simple communications controller
>
> Again this makes me think that it might be to do with some drivers
> that I might be missing.
>
> Any help or advice would be hugely appreciated.
> All the best

Well, YES, yellow question marks by the devices indicate a driver problem,
or a component failure (which is unlikely in this case since it was working
just before the O.S. reinstall). It doesn't know what they are.

The "unable to connect" errors are, basically, 'what network'? There ain't
one. (because there are no drivers installed for the devices with the
yellow question mark).

Did you install the motherboard drivers?