  • Microsoft
  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
June 12, 2005 8:09:57 PM

It keeps sorting itself into alphabetical order, rather than keeping itself
in the order in which I want it.

Why does this occur? Can I do anything about it?

I have had this problem on Windows 2000 also (dual boot system).

More about : taskbar stay sorted

Anonymous
June 12, 2005 8:09:58 PM

Right click a vacant area of the taskbar (after you have it arranged to your
liking) and put a check mark next to "Lock the Taskbar." You may have to
select Properties in WinMe before you will see this option. If all else
fails, look in Windows Help Index for *taskbar, locking* or *locking
taskbar*, etc.
Heirloom, old and sore, very sore

"Walterius" <noway@nohow.nowhere> wrote in message
> It keeps sorting itself into alphabetical order, rather than keeping
> itself
> in the order in which I want it.
>
> Why does this occur? Can I do anything about it?
>
> I have had this problem on Windows 2000 also (dual boot system).

Anonymous
June 13, 2005 2:05:45 AM

You've been teaching again <g>
Joan

Heirloom wrote:
> Heirloom, old and sore, very sore

June 13, 2005 2:05:46 AM

So sad. No such option as "Lock Taskbar." Help search fruitless.

After reboot, taskbar again alphabetized and again reduced to one row of
icons. (I need two.)

I'm going to watch a DVD of "The Mummy Returns" and try again in the
morning.

Thanks anyway.
"Joan Archer" <archer_joan@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
> You've been teaching again <g>
> Joan
>

> Heirloom wrote:
> > Heirloom, old and sore, very sore

Anonymous
June 13, 2005 3:20:31 AM

Walterius <noway@nohow.nowhere> wrote:

> So sad. No such option as "Lock Taskbar." Help search fruitless.
>
> After reboot, taskbar again alphabetized and again reduced to one row
> of icons. (I need two.)
>
> I'm going to watch a DVD of "The Mummy Returns" and try again in the
> morning.
>
> Thanks anyway.

Locking the Taskbar is a feature of XP rather than Win Me (although to be
honest I thought it was in Win Me with IE6). I also assume that the
taskbar icons you are trying to order are those in the QuickLaunch area
rather than the icons on the taskbar indicating the running tasks.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Yes, I was referring to the QuickLaunch area.
> Walterius <noway@nohow.nowhere> wrote:
>
> > So sad. No such option as "Lock Taskbar." Help search fruitless.
> >
> > After reboot, taskbar again alphabetized and again reduced to one row
> > of icons. (I need two.)
> >
> > I'm going to watch a DVD of "The Mummy Returns" and try again in the
> > morning.
> >
> > Thanks anyway.
>
> Locking the Taskbar is a feature of XP rather than Win Me (although to be
> honest I thought it was in Win Me with IE6). I also assume that the
> taskbar icons you are trying to order are those in the QuickLaunch area
> rather than the icons on the taskbar indicating the running tasks.
> --
> Mike Maltby MS-MVP
> mike.maltby@gmail.com

Anonymous
June 13, 2005 3:20:33 AM

Rename the taskbar icons with numerical prefixes.

Walterius wrote:
> Yes, I was referring to the QuickLaunch area.
> "Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message
>
>>Walterius <noway@nohow.nowhere> wrote:
>>

>>>So sad. No such option as "Lock Taskbar." Help search fruitless.
>>>
>>>After reboot, taskbar again alphabetized and again reduced to one row
>>>of icons. (I need two.)
>>>
>>>I'm going to watch a DVD of "The Mummy Returns" and try again in the
>>>morning.
>>>
>>>Thanks anyway.
>>
>>Locking the Taskbar is a feature of XP rather than Win Me (although to be
>>honest I thought it was in Win Me with IE6). I also assume that the
>>taskbar icons you are trying to order are those in the QuickLaunch area
>>rather than the icons on the taskbar indicating the running tasks.
>>--
>>Mike Maltby MS-MVP
>>mike.maltby@gmail.com

Anonymous
June 13, 2005 3:20:33 AM

Go hunting for the Quick Lanch folder in C:\<somethings> ,
<right-click>/Properties and uncheck "Read Only"

Rick

Walterius wrote:
> Yes, I was referring to the QuickLaunch area.
> "Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message
>
>>Walterius <noway@nohow.nowhere> wrote:
>>

>>>So sad. No such option as "Lock Taskbar." Help search fruitless.
>>>
>>>After reboot, taskbar again alphabetized and again reduced to one row
>>>of icons. (I need two.)
>>>
>>>I'm going to watch a DVD of "The Mummy Returns" and try again in the
>>>morning.
>>>
>>>Thanks anyway.
>>
>>Locking the Taskbar is a feature of XP rather than Win Me (although to be
>>honest I thought it was in Win Me with IE6). I also assume that the
>>taskbar icons you are trying to order are those in the QuickLaunch area
>>rather than the icons on the taskbar indicating the running tasks.
>>--
>>Mike Maltby MS-MVP
>>mike.maltby@gmail.com

Anonymous
June 13, 2005 3:20:34 AM

It wasn't read-only, nor were any of the icons except Outlook Express.
news:o TYq7l7bFHA.1152@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Go hunting for the Quick Lanch folder in C:\<somethings> ,
> <right-click>/Properties and uncheck "Read Only"
>

> Rick
>

> Walterius wrote:
> > Yes, I was referring to the QuickLaunch area.
> > "Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message

> >>Locking the Taskbar is a feature of XP rather than Win Me (although to
be
> >>honest I thought it was in Win Me with IE6). I also assume that the
> >>taskbar icons you are trying to order are those in the QuickLaunch area
> >>rather than the icons on the taskbar indicating the running tasks.
> >>--
> >>Mike Maltby MS-MVP
> >>mike.maltby@gmail.com

Anonymous
June 13, 2005 3:20:34 AM

Ingenious, but, for me, too hard. I think I'll reinstall WME tomorrow.

"ctowers" <ctowers@XgmailX.com> wrote in message
> Rename the taskbar icons with numerical prefixes.
>

> Walterius wrote:
> > Yes, I was referring to the QuickLaunch area.
> > "Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message

> >>Locking the Taskbar is a feature of XP rather than Win Me (although to
be
> >>honest I thought it was in Win Me with IE6). I also assume that the
> >>taskbar icons you are trying to order are those in the QuickLaunch area
> >>rather than the icons on the taskbar indicating the running tasks.
> >>--
> >>Mike Maltby MS-MVP
> >>mike.maltby@gmail.com

Anonymous
June 13, 2005 3:20:35 AM

dang... waste of a perfectly good light-bulb... only thing I can think
of is a 3rd party registry tweaker or antispywareadwarevirus proggie did it.

I know there's an "allow taskbar resizing" parameter somewhere, too
which could be related.

Rick

Walterius wrote:
> It wasn't read-only, nor were any of the icons except Outlook Express.
> "Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:o TYq7l7bFHA.1152@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>
>>Go hunting for the Quick Lanch folder in C:\<somethings> ,
>><right-click>/Properties and uncheck "Read Only"
>>

>>Rick
>>

>>Walterius wrote:
>>
>>>Yes, I was referring to the QuickLaunch area.
>>>"Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message

> be

Anonymous
June 13, 2005 7:25:19 AM

I found the taskbar move/resize thingy and experimented with its settings,
but no joy.

I do use a third party registry tweaker, RegSeeker, but it runs only on
Windows 2000/XP.

Thanks for your help, though.

I give up. I'll reinstall WME. It's no big deal. I just use the WME system
for legacy stuff, mostly old games.

> dang... waste of a perfectly good light-bulb... only thing I can think
> of is a 3rd party registry tweaker or antispywareadwarevirus proggie did
it.

> I know there's an "allow taskbar resizing" parameter somewhere, too
> which could be related.
>
> Rick
>

> Walterius wrote:
> > It wasn't read-only, nor were any of the icons except Outlook Express.
> > "Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
> > news:o TYq7l7bFHA.1152@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> >
> >>Go hunting for the Quick Lanch folder in C:\<somethings> ,
> >><right-click>/Properties and uncheck "Read Only"
> >>

> >>Rick

> > be

Anonymous
June 13, 2005 8:42:06 PM

A note added a day later: I reinstalled WME this morning. It's easy enough
to do even in a dual boot system. Since the WME system had little more than
a few basic components of Office and some legacy games, it was no big deal.

Also, I was in error about only using RegSeeker on Win2K. I do use it on
WME, but only for a few (supposedly) harmless tweaks such as adding context
menu items e.g. "Move to Folder ..." and "Copy to Folder ...."

Walterius

"Walterius" <nohow@noway.not> wrote in message
news:o PrlHk%23bFHA.1152@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> I found the taskbar move/resize thingy and experimented with its settings,
> but no joy.
>
> I do use a third party registry tweaker, RegSeeker, but it runs only on
> Windows 2000/XP.
>
> Thanks for your help, though.
>
> I give up. I'll reinstall WME. It's no big deal. I just use the WME system
> for legacy stuff, mostly old games.
>
> "Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
> > dang... waste of a perfectly good light-bulb... only thing I can think
> > of is a 3rd party registry tweaker or antispywareadwarevirus proggie did
> it.
> >
> > I know there's an "allow taskbar resizing" parameter somewhere, too
> > which could be related.
> >
> > Rick
> >

> > Walterius wrote:
> > > It wasn't read-only, nor were any of the icons except Outlook Express.
> > > "Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
> > > news:o TYq7l7bFHA.1152@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...

> > > be

> area

Anonymous
June 13, 2005 9:11:49 PM

Walterius wrote:
> A note added a day later: I reinstalled WME this morning. It's easy enough
> to do even in a dual boot system. Since the WME system had little more than
> a few basic components of Office and some legacy games, it was no big deal.
>
> Also, I was in error about only using RegSeeker on Win2K. I do use it on
> WME, but only for a few (supposedly) harmless tweaks such as adding context
> menu items e.g. "Move to Folder ..." and "Copy to Folder ...."

at least it's fixed now.

Rick

> Walterius
>
> "Walterius" <nohow@noway.not> wrote in message
> news:o PrlHk%23bFHA.1152@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>
>>I found the taskbar move/resize thingy and experimented with its settings,
>>but no joy.
>>
>>I do use a third party registry tweaker, RegSeeker, but it runs only on
>>Windows 2000/XP.
>>
>>Thanks for your help, though.
>>
>>I give up. I'll reinstall WME. It's no big deal. I just use the WME system
>>for legacy stuff, mostly old games.
>>
>>"Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>dang... waste of a perfectly good light-bulb... only thing I can think
>>>of is a 3rd party registry tweaker or antispywareadwarevirus proggie did
>>
>>it.
>>
>>>I know there's an "allow taskbar resizing" parameter somewhere, too
>>>which could be related.
>>>
>>>Rick

> row

> the

>>area

June 15, 2005 3:51:32 AM

Move To and Copy To are harmless. They are:

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemObjects\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Copy To]
@="{C2FBB630-2971-11D1-A18C-00C04FD75D13}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemObjects\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Move To]
@="{C2FBB631-2971-11D1-A18C-00C04FD75D13}"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\CLASSES\AllFilesystemObjects\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Copy
To]
@="{C2FBB630-2971-11D1-A18C-00C04FD75D13}"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\CLASSES\AllFilesystemObjects\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Move
To]
@="{C2FBB631-2971-11D1-A18C-00C04FD75D13}"

ie you don't need some dubious prog to add those. (and it is dubious when
countless people have supplied the means to do this stuff previously.
There's no need for yet another, so why bring one out? Only dubious motives
explain it).

Shane

!