My taskbar won't stay sorted

It keeps sorting itself into alphabetical order, rather than keeping itself
in the order in which I want it.

Why does this occur? Can I do anything about it?

I have had this problem on Windows 2000 also (dual boot system).
14 answers Last reply
More about taskbar stay sorted

    Right click a vacant area of the taskbar (after you have it arranged to your
    liking) and put a check mark next to "Lock the Taskbar." You may have to
    select Properties in WinMe before you will see this option. If all else
    fails, look in Windows Help Index for *taskbar, locking* or *locking
    taskbar*, etc.
    Heirloom, old and sore, very sore

    "Walterius" <noway@nohow.nowhere> wrote in message
    > It keeps sorting itself into alphabetical order, rather than keeping
    > itself
    > in the order in which I want it.
    >
    > Why does this occur? Can I do anything about it?
    >
    > I have had this problem on Windows 2000 also (dual boot system).

    You've been teaching again <g>
    Joan

    Heirloom wrote:
    > Heirloom, old and sore, very sore

    So sad. No such option as "Lock Taskbar." Help search fruitless.

    After reboot, taskbar again alphabetized and again reduced to one row of
    icons. (I need two.)

    I'm going to watch a DVD of "The Mummy Returns" and try again in the
    morning.

    Thanks anyway.
    "Joan Archer" <archer_joan@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
    > You've been teaching again <g>
    > Joan
    >

    > Heirloom wrote:
    > > Heirloom, old and sore, very sore

    Walterius <noway@nohow.nowhere> wrote:

    > So sad. No such option as "Lock Taskbar." Help search fruitless.
    >
    > After reboot, taskbar again alphabetized and again reduced to one row
    > of icons. (I need two.)
    >
    > I'm going to watch a DVD of "The Mummy Returns" and try again in the
    > morning.
    >
    > Thanks anyway.

    Locking the Taskbar is a feature of XP rather than Win Me (although to be
    honest I thought it was in Win Me with IE6). I also assume that the
    taskbar icons you are trying to order are those in the QuickLaunch area
    rather than the icons on the taskbar indicating the running tasks.
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    Yes, I was referring to the QuickLaunch area.
    > Walterius <noway@nohow.nowhere> wrote:
    >
    > > So sad. No such option as "Lock Taskbar." Help search fruitless.
    > >
    > > After reboot, taskbar again alphabetized and again reduced to one row
    > > of icons. (I need two.)
    > >
    > > I'm going to watch a DVD of "The Mummy Returns" and try again in the
    > > morning.
    > >
    > > Thanks anyway.
    >
    > Locking the Taskbar is a feature of XP rather than Win Me (although to be
    > honest I thought it was in Win Me with IE6). I also assume that the
    > taskbar icons you are trying to order are those in the QuickLaunch area
    > rather than the icons on the taskbar indicating the running tasks.
    > --
    > Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    > mike.maltby@gmail.com

    Rename the taskbar icons with numerical prefixes.

    Walterius wrote:
    > Yes, I was referring to the QuickLaunch area.
    > "Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message
    >
    >>Walterius <noway@nohow.nowhere> wrote:
    >>

    >>>So sad. No such option as "Lock Taskbar." Help search fruitless.
    >>>
    >>>After reboot, taskbar again alphabetized and again reduced to one row
    >>>of icons. (I need two.)
    >>>
    >>>I'm going to watch a DVD of "The Mummy Returns" and try again in the
    >>>morning.
    >>>
    >>>Thanks anyway.
    >>
    >>Locking the Taskbar is a feature of XP rather than Win Me (although to be
    >>honest I thought it was in Win Me with IE6). I also assume that the
    >>taskbar icons you are trying to order are those in the QuickLaunch area
    >>rather than the icons on the taskbar indicating the running tasks.
    >>--
    >>Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    >>mike.maltby@gmail.com

    Go hunting for the Quick Lanch folder in C:\<somethings> ,
    <right-click>/Properties and uncheck "Read Only"

    Rick

    Walterius wrote:
    > Yes, I was referring to the QuickLaunch area.
    > "Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message
    >
    >>Walterius <noway@nohow.nowhere> wrote:
    >>

    >>>So sad. No such option as "Lock Taskbar." Help search fruitless.
    >>>
    >>>After reboot, taskbar again alphabetized and again reduced to one row
    >>>of icons. (I need two.)
    >>>
    >>>I'm going to watch a DVD of "The Mummy Returns" and try again in the
    >>>morning.
    >>>
    >>>Thanks anyway.
    >>
    >>Locking the Taskbar is a feature of XP rather than Win Me (although to be
    >>honest I thought it was in Win Me with IE6). I also assume that the
    >>taskbar icons you are trying to order are those in the QuickLaunch area
    >>rather than the icons on the taskbar indicating the running tasks.
    >>--
    >>Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    >>mike.maltby@gmail.com

    It wasn't read-only, nor were any of the icons except Outlook Express.
    > Go hunting for the Quick Lanch folder in C:\<somethings> ,
    > <right-click>/Properties and uncheck "Read Only"
    >

    > Rick
    >

    > Walterius wrote:
    > > Yes, I was referring to the QuickLaunch area.
    > > "Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message

    > >>Locking the Taskbar is a feature of XP rather than Win Me (although to
    be
    > >>honest I thought it was in Win Me with IE6). I also assume that the
    > >>taskbar icons you are trying to order are those in the QuickLaunch area
    > >>rather than the icons on the taskbar indicating the running tasks.
    > >>--
    > >>Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    > >>mike.maltby@gmail.com

    Ingenious, but, for me, too hard. I think I'll reinstall WME tomorrow.

    "ctowers" <ctowers@XgmailX.com> wrote in message
    > Rename the taskbar icons with numerical prefixes.
    >

    > Walterius wrote:
    > > Yes, I was referring to the QuickLaunch area.
    > > "Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message

    > >>Locking the Taskbar is a feature of XP rather than Win Me (although to
    be
    > >>honest I thought it was in Win Me with IE6). I also assume that the
    > >>taskbar icons you are trying to order are those in the QuickLaunch area
    > >>rather than the icons on the taskbar indicating the running tasks.
    > >>--
    > >>Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    > >>mike.maltby@gmail.com

    dang... waste of a perfectly good light-bulb... only thing I can think
    of is a 3rd party registry tweaker or antispywareadwarevirus proggie did it.

    I know there's an "allow taskbar resizing" parameter somewhere, too
    which could be related.

    Rick

    Walterius wrote:
    > It wasn't read-only, nor were any of the icons except Outlook Express.
    > "Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Go hunting for the Quick Lanch folder in C:\<somethings> ,
    >><right-click>/Properties and uncheck "Read Only"
    >>

    >>Rick
    >>

    >>Walterius wrote:
    >>
    >>>Yes, I was referring to the QuickLaunch area.
    >>>"Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message

    > be

    I found the taskbar move/resize thingy and experimented with its settings,
    but no joy.

    I do use a third party registry tweaker, RegSeeker, but it runs only on
    Windows 2000/XP.

    Thanks for your help, though.

    I give up. I'll reinstall WME. It's no big deal. I just use the WME system
    for legacy stuff, mostly old games.

    > dang... waste of a perfectly good light-bulb... only thing I can think
    > of is a 3rd party registry tweaker or antispywareadwarevirus proggie did
    it.

    > I know there's an "allow taskbar resizing" parameter somewhere, too
    > which could be related.
    >
    > Rick
    >

    > Walterius wrote:
    > > It wasn't read-only, nor were any of the icons except Outlook Express.
    > > "Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>Go hunting for the Quick Lanch folder in C:\<somethings> ,
    > >><right-click>/Properties and uncheck "Read Only"
    > >>

    > >>Rick

    > > be

    A note added a day later: I reinstalled WME this morning. It's easy enough
    to do even in a dual boot system. Since the WME system had little more than
    a few basic components of Office and some legacy games, it was no big deal.

    Also, I was in error about only using RegSeeker on Win2K. I do use it on
    WME, but only for a few (supposedly) harmless tweaks such as adding context
    menu items e.g. "Move to Folder ..." and "Copy to Folder ...."

    Walterius

    Walterius wrote:
    > A note added a day later: I reinstalled WME this morning. It's easy enough
    > to do even in a dual boot system. Since the WME system had little more than
    > a few basic components of Office and some legacy games, it was no big deal.
    >
    > Also, I was in error about only using RegSeeker on Win2K. I do use it on
    > WME, but only for a few (supposedly) harmless tweaks such as adding context
    > menu items e.g. "Move to Folder ..." and "Copy to Folder ...."

    at least it's fixed now.

    Rick

    > Walterius
    >
    > "Walterius" <nohow@noway.not> wrote in message
    >
    >>I found the taskbar move/resize thingy and experimented with its settings,
    >>but no joy.
    >>
    >>I do use a third party registry tweaker, RegSeeker, but it runs only on
    >>Windows 2000/XP.
    >>
    >>Thanks for your help, though.
    >>
    >>I give up. I'll reinstall WME. It's no big deal. I just use the WME system
    >>for legacy stuff, mostly old games.
    >>
    >>"Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>dang... waste of a perfectly good light-bulb... only thing I can think
    >>>of is a 3rd party registry tweaker or antispywareadwarevirus proggie did
    >>
    >>it.
    >>
    >>>I know there's an "allow taskbar resizing" parameter somewhere, too
    >>>which could be related.
    >>>
    >>>Rick

    > row

    > the

    >>area

    Move To and Copy To are harmless. They are:

    REGEDIT4

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemObjects\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Copy To]
    @="{C2FBB630-2971-11D1-A18C-00C04FD75D13}"

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemObjects\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Move To]
    @="{C2FBB631-2971-11D1-A18C-00C04FD75D13}"

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\CLASSES\AllFilesystemObjects\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Copy
    To]
    @="{C2FBB630-2971-11D1-A18C-00C04FD75D13}"

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\CLASSES\AllFilesystemObjects\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Move
    To]
    @="{C2FBB631-2971-11D1-A18C-00C04FD75D13}"

    ie you don't need some dubious prog to add those. (and it is dubious when
    countless people have supplied the means to do this stuff previously.
    There's no need for yet another, so why bring one out? Only dubious motives
    explain it).

    Shane

    >A note added a day later: I reinstalled WME this morning. It's easy enough
    > to do even in a dual boot system. Since the WME system had little more
    > than
    > a few basic components of Office and some legacy games, it was no big
    > deal.
    >
    > Also, I was in error about only using RegSeeker on Win2K. I do use it on
    > WME, but only for a few (supposedly) harmless tweaks such as adding
    > context
    > menu items e.g. "Move to Folder ..." and "Copy to Folder ...."
    >
    > Walterius
    >
    > "Walterius" <nohow@noway.not> wrote in message
    >> I found the taskbar move/resize thingy and experimented with its
    >> settings,
    >> but no joy.
    >>
    >> I do use a third party registry tweaker, RegSeeker, but it runs only on
    >> Windows 2000/XP.
    >>
    >> Thanks for your help, though.
    >>
    >> I give up. I'll reinstall WME. It's no big deal. I just use the WME
    >> system
    >> for legacy stuff, mostly old games.
    >>
    >> "Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> > dang... waste of a perfectly good light-bulb... only thing I can think
    >> > of is a 3rd party registry tweaker or antispywareadwarevirus proggie
    >> > did
    >> it.
    >> >
    >> > I know there's an "allow taskbar resizing" parameter somewhere, too
    >> > which could be related.
    >> >
    >> > Rick

    > row

    > the