Cable modem to pc via wirless connection.

I want to move my pc to another room but keep my cable modem in its existing
place and i don't want cables laying about the place. Can I just buy a
router and a wirless pci card or will an access point and wireless pci do.
What is the difference ?
2 answers Last reply
More about cable modem wirless connection

    anthony fidler wrote:

    > I want to move my pc to another room but keep my cable modem in its existing
    > place and i don't want cables laying about the place. Can I just buy a
    > router and a wirless pci card or will an access point and wireless pci do.
    > What is the difference ?

    You can setup your wireless with a router and a PCI or USB wireless adapter.

    Before you relocate your computer, make sure you have the wireless
    connection setup. If you have any problems, you'll need to use an
    ethernet cable and connect directly to the router. But you should be
    able to do it all by wireless.

    USA Today has some info on WiFi:

    http://usatoday.jiwire.com/

    anthony fidler wrote:
    > I want to move my pc to another room but keep my cable modem in its existing
    > place and i don't want cables laying about the place. Can I just buy a
    > router and a wirless pci card or will an access point and wireless pci do.
    > What is the difference ?

    A router is what you want. An access point is more expensive and meant
    to connect to an existing wireless network. The router also serves as a
    hardware firewall which is much better than a software firewall, and
    if you ever have more than one computer you can share the internet
    connection.

    As for the PC end, either a USB or PCI wireless card is fine, but just a
    word of warning. The USB adapters that are just a small dongle (as
    opposed to one that sits on the end of a length of cable) have pretty
    bad reception. Good for line of sight but poor when walls are in between.

    Anything that has an antenna or lets you move it (even inches can
    improve reception) is a good thing.

    One last thing - don't forget security. WEP is fine, WPA is better.

Homebuilt Modem Cable Systems