Unable to set OE as default email program

I recently did a XP upgrade from ME and did the new installation after a
format. ( I know this is a ME group, but you guys are much better at this
and I suspect the fix will be in common with ME) All went well and
everything seemed to be OK. That is until I
inadvertantly OKed MS Outlook during a Office 97 install. I uninstalled the
Outlook and thought it was done, but I found that I had lost the OE shortcut
in the Start menu. Fooling around I was able to pin one and get it going.
The trouble is that I am not able to set OE as the default email program at
Tools-Internet Options-Programs. Nothing is listed there to select and I
can't type in OE. I can still start OE and receive and send messages,
but my scanner and software(Visioneer/PaperPort) configuration will not
recognize OE as a destination for sending emails. Plus I cannot put a
shortcut on the Quicklaunch bar. I have tried the methods the ElderGeek has
suggested from altering the registry lines regarding OE (is install to "0"),
running sfc /scannow, and trying to reinstall Internet Explorer. When I
tried reinstalling IE from the ElderGeek's site link, I was told I had a
newer version of OE and the install was stopped. How can I clean this mess
up? Thanks in advance.

Bart
7 answers Last reply
More about unable default email program

    Bart,

    What happens if you open Outlook Express and then Tools | Options |
    General. Can you click the button towards the bottom of the tab marked
    "Make Default" to the right of the text "This application is NOT the
    default Mail handler"? Hopefully this should fix the problem.
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    Bart <bsmart@nospamnet.invalid> wrote:

    > I recently did a XP upgrade from ME and did the new installation
    > after a format. ( I know this is a ME group, but you guys are much
    > better at this and I suspect the fix will be in common with ME) All
    > went well and everything seemed to be OK. That is until I
    > inadvertantly OKed MS Outlook during a Office 97 install. I
    > uninstalled the Outlook and thought it was done, but I found that I
    > had lost the OE shortcut in the Start menu. Fooling around I was able
    > to pin one and get it going. The trouble is that I am not able to set
    > OE as the default email program at Tools-Internet Options-Programs.
    > Nothing is listed there to select and I can't type in OE. I can
    > still start OE and receive and send messages, but my scanner and
    > software(Visioneer/PaperPort) configuration will
    > not recognize OE as a destination for sending emails. Plus I cannot
    > put a shortcut on the Quicklaunch bar. I have tried the methods the
    > ElderGeek has suggested from altering the registry lines regarding OE
    > (is install to "0"), running sfc /scannow, and trying to reinstall
    > Internet Explorer. When I tried reinstalling IE from the ElderGeek's
    > site link, I was told I had a newer version of OE and the install was
    > stopped. How can I clean this mess up? Thanks in advance.
    >

    > Bart

    Mike-
    The buttons you refer to are "greyed out" and the text says "This
    application IS the default mail handler" as well as for the news handler.
    It is curious to note that while the Tools-Internet Options-Programs shows
    no selection (just blank) for email as default, the newsgroups line shows OE
    as the default program. Because I was careless in the install of Office and
    Corel I got unwanted/unneeded programs that may be interfering. Since I
    have all the data backed up and programs available, maybe I should just
    start over and clean install the new OS.

    Bart

    > Bart,
    >
    > What happens if you open Outlook Express and then Tools | Options |
    > General. Can you click the button towards the bottom of the tab marked
    > "Make Default" to the right of the text "This application is NOT the
    > default Mail handler"? Hopefully this should fix the problem.
    > --
    > Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    > mike.maltby@gmail.com
    >

    > Bart <bsmart@nospamnet.invalid> wrote:
    >
    >> I recently did a XP upgrade from ME and did the new installation
    >> after a format. ( I know this is a ME group, but you guys are much
    >> better at this and I suspect the fix will be in common with ME) All
    >> went well and everything seemed to be OK. That is until I
    >> inadvertantly OKed MS Outlook during a Office 97 install. I
    >> uninstalled the Outlook and thought it was done, but I found that I
    >> had lost the OE shortcut in the Start menu. Fooling around I was able
    >> to pin one and get it going. The trouble is that I am not able to set
    >> OE as the default email program at Tools-Internet Options-Programs.
    >> Nothing is listed there to select and I can't type in OE. I can
    >> still start OE and receive and send messages, but my scanner and
    >> software(Visioneer/PaperPort) configuration will
    >> not recognize OE as a destination for sending emails. Plus I cannot
    >> put a shortcut on the Quicklaunch bar. I have tried the methods the
    >> ElderGeek has suggested from altering the registry lines regarding OE
    >> (is install to "0"), running sfc /scannow, and trying to reinstall
    >> Internet Explorer. When I tried reinstalling IE from the ElderGeek's
    >> site link, I was told I had a newer version of OE and the install was
    >> stopped. How can I clean this mess up? Thanks in advance.
    >>

    >> Bart

    More info on the problem. The spell checker in OE gets halted for some
    reason. It looks like a bad Office install could be the culprit.
    > Bart,
    >
    > What happens if you open Outlook Express and then Tools | Options |
    > General. Can you click the button towards the bottom of the tab marked
    > "Make Default" to the right of the text "This application is NOT the
    > default Mail handler"? Hopefully this should fix the problem.
    > --
    > Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    > mike.maltby@gmail.com
    >

    > Bart <bsmart@nospamnet.invalid> wrote:
    >
    >> I recently did a XP upgrade from ME and did the new installation
    >> after a format. ( I know this is a ME group, but you guys are much
    >> better at this and I suspect the fix will be in common with ME) All
    >> went well and everything seemed to be OK. That is until I
    >> inadvertantly OKed MS Outlook during a Office 97 install. I
    >> uninstalled the Outlook and thought it was done, but I found that I
    >> had lost the OE shortcut in the Start menu. Fooling around I was able
    >> to pin one and get it going. The trouble is that I am not able to set
    >> OE as the default email program at Tools-Internet Options-Programs.
    >> Nothing is listed there to select and I can't type in OE. I can
    >> still start OE and receive and send messages, but my scanner and
    >> software(Visioneer/PaperPort) configuration will
    >> not recognize OE as a destination for sending emails. Plus I cannot
    >> put a shortcut on the Quicklaunch bar. I have tried the methods the
    >> ElderGeek has suggested from altering the registry lines regarding OE
    >> (is install to "0"), running sfc /scannow, and trying to reinstall
    >> Internet Explorer. When I tried reinstalling IE from the ElderGeek's
    >> site link, I was told I had a newer version of OE and the install was
    >> stopped. How can I clean this mess up? Thanks in advance.
    >>

    >> Bart

    Been working on this problem and discovered that Corel installed
    msnsusii.exe, a MSN program similar to IE and OE. The comment on the short
    cut says, "explore the web, read your email, yada, yada." Could this be
    causing a conflict?

    Bart

    > Bart,
    >
    > What happens if you open Outlook Express and then Tools | Options |
    > General. Can you click the button towards the bottom of the tab marked
    > "Make Default" to the right of the text "This application is NOT the
    > default Mail handler"? Hopefully this should fix the problem.
    > --
    > Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    > mike.maltby@gmail.com
    >

    > Bart <bsmart@nospamnet.invalid> wrote:
    >
    >> I recently did a XP upgrade from ME and did the new installation
    >> after a format. ( I know this is a ME group, but you guys are much
    >> better at this and I suspect the fix will be in common with ME) All
    >> went well and everything seemed to be OK. That is until I
    >> inadvertantly OKed MS Outlook during a Office 97 install. I
    >> uninstalled the Outlook and thought it was done, but I found that I
    >> had lost the OE shortcut in the Start menu. Fooling around I was able
    >> to pin one and get it going. The trouble is that I am not able to set
    >> OE as the default email program at Tools-Internet Options-Programs.
    >> Nothing is listed there to select and I can't type in OE. I can
    >> still start OE and receive and send messages, but my scanner and
    >> software(Visioneer/PaperPort) configuration will
    >> not recognize OE as a destination for sending emails. Plus I cannot
    >> put a shortcut on the Quicklaunch bar. I have tried the methods the
    >> ElderGeek has suggested from altering the registry lines regarding OE
    >> (is install to "0"), running sfc /scannow, and trying to reinstall
    >> Internet Explorer. When I tried reinstalling IE from the ElderGeek's
    >> site link, I was told I had a newer version of OE and the install was
    >> stopped. How can I clean this mess up? Thanks in advance.
    >>

    >> Bart

    Bart,

    Sorry I can't help as I know nothing about that program installed by Corel
    and likewise restrict my contact to MSN products to an absolute minimum
    feeling that they are mainly designed for teenagers and preteens more
    interested in eye candy than anything else. <vbg> I'm obviously showing
    my age and prejudice. :-)

    Cheers,
    --
    Mike

    Bart <bsmart@nospamnet.invalid> wrote:

    > Been working on this problem and discovered that Corel installed
    > msnsusii.exe, a MSN program similar to IE and OE. The comment on the
    > short cut says, "explore the web, read your email, yada, yada." Could
    > this be causing a conflict?

    Mike-
    I was consulted to run "msimn.exe /reg and lo and behold, my OE was once
    again the default email program. Now, I have to wonder what the heck
    happened to cause the problem in the first place.

    Bart

    > Bart,
    >
    > Sorry I can't help as I know nothing about that program installed by Corel
    > and likewise restrict my contact to MSN products to an absolute minimum
    > feeling that they are mainly designed for teenagers and preteens more
    > interested in eye candy than anything else. <vbg> I'm obviously showing
    > my age and prejudice. :-)
    >
    > Cheers,
    > --
    > Mike
    >

    > Bart <bsmart@nospamnet.invalid> wrote:
    >
    >> Been working on this problem and discovered that Corel installed
    >> msnsusii.exe, a MSN program similar to IE and OE. The comment on the
    >> short cut says, "explore the web, read your email, yada, yada." Could
    >> this be causing a conflict?

    HiJackThis

    You may wish to learn about HiJackThis also, for an additional tool for your
    toolkit
    > http://www.spychecker.com/program/hijackthis.html

    Here's an enhanced tutorial on it, with Merijn's approval:
    http://aumha.org/a/hjttutor.htm

    --
    Jim Eshelman, MS-MVP Windows/Security
    Windows Support Center: http://aumha.org/

    In Memorium: Alex Nichol
    Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    ------
    "Bart" <bsmart@nospamnet.invalid> wrote in message

    > Mike-
    > I was consulted to run "msimn.exe /reg and lo and behold, my OE was once
    > again the default email program. Now, I have to wonder what the heck
    > happened to cause the problem in the first place.
    >
    > Bart
    >

    > "Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message
    > > Bart,
    > >
    > > Sorry I can't help as I know nothing about that program installed by
    Corel
    > > and likewise restrict my contact to MSN products to an absolute minimum
    > > feeling that they are mainly designed for teenagers and preteens more
    > > interested in eye candy than anything else. <vbg> I'm obviously showing
    > > my age and prejudice. :-)
    > >
    > > Cheers,
    > > --
    > > Mike
    > >

    > > Bart <bsmart@nospamnet.invalid> wrote:
    > >
    > >> Been working on this problem and discovered that Corel installed
    > >> msnsusii.exe, a MSN program similar to IE and OE. The comment on the
    > >> short cut says, "explore the web, read your email, yada, yada." Could
    > >> this be causing a conflict?

Windows