Defrag Software -other than the one that comes with Window..

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsme.systemtools (More info?)

Hi:

Any recommendations for downloadable defragmentation programs, compatible
with Windows ME , other than the defrag System Tool thats included with
Windows ME?

Seems that after I defrag with the Windows program, PC Pitspot's Disk Health
test tells me that my fragmentation rate is still at ~10% as a percent of
data fragmented.

Are other programs more effective?

How safe and functional are they with Windows ME?

TIA:

Ira

Ira wrote:
> Hi:
>
> Any recommendations for downloadable defragmentation programs, compatible
> with Windows ME , other than the defrag System Tool thats included with
> Windows ME?
>
> Seems that after I defrag with the Windows program, PC Pitspot's Disk Health
> test tells me that my fragmentation rate is still at ~10% as a percent of
> data fragmented.

2 reasons it may say that

1) System files can't be defragged while in use

2) The option "pack programs so they run faster" actually fragments some
files *on purpose*.

I'm not thrilled with the stock WinME defragger but there doesn't seem
to be much improvement with the (few) 3rd party programs I've tried.

Rick

> Are other programs more effective?
>
> How safe and functional are they with Windows ME?
>
> TIA:
>
> Ira

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsme.systemtools (More info?)

Rick wrote:

<<<<
2) The option "pack programs so they run faster" actually fragments some
files *on purpose*.

-----------------------------------

Hi Rick:

Where on my PC can I find out if this option is set that way?

Ira

-------------------------
| Ira wrote:
| > Hi:
| >
| > Any recommendations for downloadable defragmentation programs,
compatible
| > with Windows ME , other than the defrag System Tool thats included with
| > Windows ME?
| >
| > Seems that after I defrag with the Windows program, PC Pitspot's Disk
Health
| > test tells me that my fragmentation rate is still at ~10% as a percent
of
| > data fragmented.
|
| 2 reasons it may say that
|
| 1) System files can't be defragged while in use
|
| 2) The option "pack programs so they run faster" actually fragments some
| files *on purpose*.
|
| I'm not thrilled with the stock WinME defragger but there doesn't seem
| to be much improvement with the (few) 3rd party programs I've tried.
|

| Rick

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsme.systemtools (More info?)

Ira
If I recall, Pittstop's analysis is based on Executive Software's
DISKEEPER utility. I use their free version, DISKEEPER LITE, and am
pleased with its performance. If interested, you may download from;

Good Luck

Dan

"Ira" <oncemore@outthere.invalid> wrote in message
> Hi:
>
> Any recommendations for downloadable defragmentation programs,
compatible
> with Windows ME , other than the defrag System Tool thats included
with
> Windows ME?
>
> Seems that after I defrag with the Windows program, PC Pitspot's
Disk Health
> test tells me that my fragmentation rate is still at ~10% as a
percent of
> data fragmented.
>
> Are other programs more effective?
>
> How safe and functional are they with Windows ME?
>
> TIA:
>
> Ira

Doc

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2003

> Rick wrote:
>
> <<<<
> 2) The option "pack programs so they run faster" actually fragments
> some files *on purpose*.
> >>>>

> -----------------------------------
>
> Hi Rick:
>
> Where on my PC can I find out if this option is set that way?
>
> Ira

When you start Disk Defragmenter there are 3 buttons... OK, Cancel, and
SETTINGS. Before clicking OK to start defrag, click SETTINGS.

--
Adam and Eve - the worlds happiest couple ever.
Neither had a mother-in-law.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsme.systemtools (More info?)

Doc wrote:

<<<

| When you start Disk Defragmenter there are 3 buttons... OK, Cancel, and
| SETTINGS. Before clicking OK to start defrag, click SETTINGS.

=============================

Yes. The option to :"rearrange program files so that my programs run faster"
is checked under "Settings" at the Disk Defragmenter

Not sure if this is what Rick meant. [???]

But does this option actually fragment some files by design?

-Ira

===========================

"Doc" <postmaster@[127.0.0.1]> wrote in message
| "Ira" <oncemore@outthere.invalid> wrote in
|
| > Rick wrote:
| >
| > <<<<
| > 2) The option "pack programs so they run faster" actually fragments
| > some files *on purpose*.
| > >>>>

| > -----------------------------------
| >
| > Hi Rick:
| >
| > Where on my PC can I find out if this option is set that way?
| >
| > Ira
| >

| When you start Disk Defragmenter there are 3 buttons... OK, Cancel, and
| SETTINGS. Before clicking OK to start defrag, click SETTINGS.
|
| --
| Adam and Eve - the worlds happiest couple ever.
| Neither had a mother-in-law.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsme.systemtools (More info?)

yup - that's it (I'm in W2K for a bit so haven't got WinME defrag at hand).

Rick

Dapper Dan wrote:
> Ira
> If I recall, Pittstop's analysis is based on Executive Software's
> DISKEEPER utility. I use their free version, DISKEEPER LITE, and am
> pleased with its performance. If interested, you may download from;
> http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=1207

neat thing about Diskeeper is if it gets to a file it can't defrag it
doesn't worry about it, just keeps going.

not-so-neat thing is if it gets to a file it can't defrag.....etc.

Rick

> Good Luck
>
> Dan
>
> "Ira" <oncemore@outthere.invalid> wrote in message
>
>>Hi:
>>
>>Any recommendations for downloadable defragmentation programs,
>
> compatible
>
>>with Windows ME , other than the defrag System Tool thats included
>
> with
>
>>Windows ME?
>>
>>Seems that after I defrag with the Windows program, PC Pitspot's
>
> Disk Health
>
>>test tells me that my fragmentation rate is still at ~10% as a
>
> percent of
>
>>data fragmented.
>>
>>Are other programs more effective?
>>
>>How safe and functional are they with Windows ME?
>>
>>TIA:
>>
>>Ira

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsme.systemtools (More info?)

Yes!

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

> Doc wrote:
>
> <<<
> |
> | When you start Disk Defragmenter there are 3 buttons... OK, Cancel, and
> | SETTINGS. Before clicking OK to start defrag, click SETTINGS.
> >>>

> =============================
>
> Yes. The option to :"rearrange program files so that my programs run
> faster"
> is checked under "Settings" at the Disk Defragmenter
>
> Not sure if this is what Rick meant. [???]
>
> But does this option actually fragment some files by design?
>
> -Ira
>
> ===========================

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsme.systemtools (More info?)

The Windows 98 Resource Kit, Chapter 10, "Disks and File Systems", has a
good description of the workings of the Defragmenter "Program Optimization"
tool, which speeds the launch of programs. This applies to WinME, also.

The relevant section is about one fourth down in the chapter, beginning with

Fine-Tuning Program Start
The Cvtaplog.exe file is called by Defrag.exe to determine the program
optimization order and to build the optimization cluster list. The
optimization order is recorded in Optlog.txt, which is located in the
\Windows\Applog (hidden) folder on your system. The log file lists programs
that were used and not optimized, and explains why (see "Flags for
Ineligible Programs"). It also records values of various control parameters.
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/98/all/reskit/en-us/default.mspx

In Memorium: Alex Nichol
Your cooperation is very appreciated.
------
> yup - that's it (I'm in W2K for a bit so haven't got WinME defrag at
hand).

> Rick

<SNIP>