Help: Copying from NotePad to WordPad

Can someone tell me how to copy something from notepad into Wordpad and
have it look exactly the same with every line and letter where it is
supposed to be?

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.
23 answers Last reply
More about help copying notepad wordpad

    You can't. Notepad is a text-only fixed-font editor, WordPad is a limited
    WYSIWYG (graphic preview, aka "What You See Is What You Get") editor. You
    can't make text in one look and format like the other.

    <Searcher7@mail.con2.com> wrote in message
    > Can someone tell me how to copy something from notepad into Wordpad and
    > have it look exactly the same with every line and letter where it is
    > supposed to be?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Darren Harris
    > Staten Island, New York.

    Font - the character set used to display characters in documents
    Fixed pitch - the width of each character is the same
    Proportional - the width of each character varies from i & l being the
    narrowest to W being the widest.

    > Is there an online manual somewhere?

    Yes, it's called Help and appears on the top bar of WordPad.
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    Mike M wrote:
    > If you want fixed spacing configure WordPad to use a fixed pitch font
    > rather than Arial which is a proportionally spaced font.

    Thanks.

    But there is nothing in the help search or on the drop down menus that
    say "fixed pitch font".

    Darren Harris
    Staten Island, New York.

    Yes, but I still can't find the step-by-step instructions on how to do
    this. Help hasn't been of any help whatsoever.

    Thanks.

    Darren Harris
    Staten Island, New York.

    Rick T wrote:
    > Searcher7@mail.con2.com wrote:
    > > @#$%!
    > >
    > > Well then I guess this is another example of MS stupidity.(Or greed).
    >
    > of which there are some examples, this not being one of them.
    >
    > Notepad is a simple text editor, it;s files contain *only* the text that
    > you're writing; any formatting details (Font, Wordwrap) are set in the
    > Notepad program and all the files you use Notepad on are displayed
    > according to the Notepad program settings.
    >
    > WordPad is a very simple word-processor, similar in some respects to
    > Notepad, *but* the formatting is saved with the file, not with the
    > program. This is why when you open one WordPad .doc file it may look
    > different from another one.

    Yes, but it would not have been too hard to have WordPad default to the
    format of NotePad whenever someone wanted to copy from NotePad(which
    I'm sure happened a lot when WordPad first appeared). After all the
    formatting options in NotePad aren't numerous or complicated.

    I still say this was one of the small things that MS used to get people
    to upgrade.

    > Anyways, when you open the file, just highlight the text you want to
    > change and change the Font to Courier. When you save the document it
    > will be a WordPad .doc, *not* a NotePad .txt.

    That work, somewhat.(I still have some major editing to do).

    Thanks.

    Darren Harris
    Staten Island, New York.

    Searcher7@mail.con2.com wrote:

    > Rick T wrote:
    >
    >>Searcher7@mail.con2.com wrote:
    >>
    >>>@#$%!
    >>>
    >>>Well then I guess this is another example of MS stupidity.(Or greed).
    >>
    >>of which there are some examples, this not being one of them.
    >>
    >>Notepad is a simple text editor, it;s files contain *only* the text that
    >>you're writing; any formatting details (Font, Wordwrap) are set in the
    >>Notepad program and all the files you use Notepad on are displayed
    >>according to the Notepad program settings.
    >>
    >>WordPad is a very simple word-processor, similar in some respects to
    >>Notepad, *but* the formatting is saved with the file, not with the
    >>program. This is why when you open one WordPad .doc file it may look
    >>different from another one.
    >

    > Yes, but it would not have been too hard to have WordPad default to the
    > format of NotePad whenever someone wanted to copy from NotePad(which
    > I'm sure happened a lot when WordPad first appeared). After all the
    > formatting options in NotePad aren't numerous or complicated.
    >
    > I still say this was one of the small things that MS used to get people
    > to upgrade.
    >

    >>Anyways, when you open the file, just highlight the text you want to
    >>change and change the Font to Courier. When you save the document it
    >>will be a WordPad .doc, *not* a NotePad .txt.
    >

    > That work, somewhat.(I still have some major editing to do).

    Notepad is generally for notes (go figure) and reading ASCII .txt files
    which are a common denominator on almost all computer systems.

    Right about now you're probably noticing your paragraphs are a bit
    skewed. I'm assuming you made hard-carriage returns in Notepad at the
    end of a line; somewhere in Wordpad is a (printable area) page-width
    setting; playing with that or choosing a slightly smaller font size will
    fix that quickly, though going in and removing the hard-returns one by
    one is overall a better idea.

    For the next one, plan ahead.

    Rick

    > Thanks.
    >
    > Darren Harris
    > Staten Island, New York.

    Or get a real word processor, like Microsoft Word, that does columns and
    tabular alignment whether you're using a fixed-pitch or variable-pitch font.
    :-)

    > For the next one, plan ahead.

    What exactly is your problem here? I have explained the difference
    between fixed pitch and proportional space. The term "fixed pitch font"
    and "proportional spaced font" are not computing terms but have been with
    us for centuries so if you are having difficulty in understanding the
    concept then please use an encyclopaedia or ask someone who has used a
    typewriter or read a newspaper to help explain these terms to you.
    --

    Richard G. Harper wrote:
    > Or get a real word processor, like Microsoft Word, that does columns and
    > tabular alignment whether you're using a fixed-pitch or variable-pitch font.
    > :-)

    too many bells & whistles.

    Rick

    > Richard G. Harper wrote:
    >> Or get a real word processor, like Microsoft Word, that does columns and
    >> tabular alignment whether you're using a fixed-pitch or variable-pitch
    >> font. :-)
    >>

    > too many bells & whistles.

    Yes, but no klaxon.

    Shane

    Personally I'm holding out for the rotating amber or red lights.

    "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message

    > "Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> Richard G. Harper wrote:
    >>> Or get a real word processor, like Microsoft Word, that does columns and
    >>> tabular alignment whether you're using a fixed-pitch or variable-pitch
    >>> font. :-)
    >>>

    >> too many bells & whistles.
    >>

    > Yes, but no klaxon.
    >

    > Shane

    LOL! Yes, Word will truly have come of age at that point!

    Shane

    > Personally I'm holding out for the rotating amber or red lights.

    > * for the benefit of all. Private mail is usually not replied to.
    > * My website, such as it is ... http://rgharper.mvps.org/
    >

    > "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>>>

    >>> too many bells & whistles.
    >>>

    >> Yes, but no klaxon.
    >>

    >> Shane

    Thanks everyone for the advice.

    I didn't expect to have to go to school for this, but what can I do.
    :-)

    Darren Harris
    Staten Island, New York.
    Shane wrote:
    > LOL! Yes, Word will truly have come of age at that point!
    >

    > Shane
    >

    > "Richard G. Harper" <rgharper@email.com> wrote in message
    > > Personally I'm holding out for the rotating amber or red lights.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User] rgharper@gmail.com
    > > * PLEASE post all messages and replies in the newsgroups
    > > * for the benefit of all. Private mail is usually not replied to.
    > > * My website, such as it is ... http://rgharper.mvps.org/
    > > * HELP us help YOU ... http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > >

    > > "Shane" <shanebeatson@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> "Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message

    > >> Yes, but no klaxon.
    > >>

    > >> Shane

    http://www.5star-shareware.com/Windows/Business/WordProcessing/WordProcessing1.html

    In Memorium: Alex Nichol
    Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    ------

    *

    "plinnane3remov" wrote:
    > Richard G. Harper wrote:
    > > Or get a real word processor, like Microsoft Word, that does
    > columns and
    > > tabular alignment whether you're using a fixed-pitch or
    > variable-pitch font.
    > > :-)
    > >

    > too many bells & whistles.
    >
    > Rick

    Joing this a bit late as I came from a ggogle search on how to
    configure Wordpad defaults ... maybe something like a normal.dot

    I have the (some) of the same problems searcher17 has. I like wordpad
    as notepad is too basic, I dislike word as it has, as mentioned, too
    many bells and whistles.

    My question therefore: How can I get wordpad to always open with
    Courier New and not Arial?

    And just to be difficult: are there ways to ad buttons, shortcuts, etc
    to the window. Yes there is an insert date button but it always asks
    for date format. Can I set a default on this?

    If the answers are no does anyone know of a *simple* editor that can?

    Thanks in advance for any advice.

    - me

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-Help-Copying-NotePad-WordPad-ftopict545355.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1736416

    Take a look at

    www.editpadlite.com

    All thanks to Heirloom.
    "samesmike" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
    > "plinnane3remov" wrote:
    > > Richard G. Harper wrote:
    > > > Or get a real word processor, like Microsoft Word, that does
    > > columns and
    > > > tabular alignment whether you're using a fixed-pitch or
    > > variable-pitch font.
    > > > :-)
    > > >

    > > too many bells & whistles.
    > >
    > > Rick
    >
    > Joing this a bit late as I came from a ggogle search on how to
    > configure Wordpad defaults ... maybe something like a normal.dot
    >
    > I have the (some) of the same problems searcher17 has. I like wordpad
    > as notepad is too basic, I dislike word as it has, as mentioned, too
    > many bells and whistles.
    >
    > My question therefore: How can I get wordpad to always open with
    > Courier New and not Arial?
    >
    > And just to be difficult: are there ways to ad buttons, shortcuts, etc
    > to the window. Yes there is an insert date button but it always asks
    > for date format. Can I set a default on this?
    >
    > If the answers are no does anyone know of a *simple* editor that can?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any advice.
    >
    > - me

    request
    > Topic URL:
    http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-Help-Copying-NotePad-WordPad-ftopict545355.html
    http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1736416
  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Cracked it!! - Well, in XP anyway!!

    (I don't have a WinMe box to test it on, so maybe someone can confirm,
    please)

    Open WordPad - default font=Arial 10 Western

    Type a few words and change the font to e.g. Courier New 10 Western

    Then save the document using "Save As"

    You will be offered a "Save in this format by default" check box to tick, at
    the very bottom of the Save As Window. (You may also have to set the default
    document type - .txt, RTF, Unicode etc.)

    Next time you open a new WordPad document, the font will have defaulted to
    your new choice.

    HTH

    Mart

    "samesmike" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
    > "plinnane3remov" wrote:
    > > Richard G. Harper wrote:
    > > > Or get a real word processor, like Microsoft Word, that does
    > > columns and
    > > > tabular alignment whether you're using a fixed-pitch or
    > > variable-pitch font.
    > > > :-)
    > > >

    > > too many bells & whistles.
    > >
    > > Rick
    >
    > Joing this a bit late as I came from a ggogle search on how to
    > configure Wordpad defaults ... maybe something like a normal.dot
    >
    > I have the (some) of the same problems searcher17 has. I like wordpad
    > as notepad is too basic, I dislike word as it has, as mentioned, too
    > many bells and whistles.
    >
    > My question therefore: How can I get wordpad to always open with
    > Courier New and not Arial?
    >
    > And just to be difficult: are there ways to ad buttons, shortcuts, etc
    > to the window. Yes there is an insert date button but it always asks
    > for date format. Can I set a default on this?
    >
    > If the answers are no does anyone know of a *simple* editor that can?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any advice.
    >
    > - me

    > request
    > Topic URL:
    > http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-Help-Copying-NotePad-WordPad-ftopict545355.html
  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    "Mart" wrote:
    > Cracked it!! - Well, in XP anyway!!
    >
    > (I don't have a WinMe box to test it on, so maybe someone can
    > confirm,
    > please)
    >
    > Open WordPad - default font=Arial 10 Western
    >
    > Type a few words and change the font to e.g. Courier New 10
    > Western
    >
    > Then save the document using "Save As"
    >
    > You will be offered a "Save in this format by default" check
    > box to tick, at
    > the very bottom of the Save As Window. (You may also have to
    > set the default
    > document type - .txt, RTF, Unicode etc.)
    >
    > Next time you open a new WordPad document, the font will have
    > defaulted to
    > your new choice.
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > Mart
    >

    > "samesmike" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in
    > message
    > > "plinnane3remov" wrote:
    >  > > Richard G. Harper wrote:
    >   > > > Or get a real word processor, like Microsoft
    > Word, that does
    >  > > columns and
    >   > > > tabular alignment whether you're using a
    > fixed-pitch or
    >  > > variable-pitch font.
    >   > > > :-)
    >   > > >
    >  > >
    >  > > too many bells & whistles.
    >  > >
    >  > > Rick
    > >
    > > Joing this a bit late as I came from a ggogle search on how
    > > configure Wordpad defaults ... maybe something like a
    > normal.dot
    > >
    > > I have the (some) of the same problems searcher17 has. I
    > like wordpad
    > > as notepad is too basic, I dislike word as it has, as
    > mentioned, too
    > > many bells and whistles.
    > >
    > > My question therefore: How can I get wordpad to always open
    > with
    > > Courier New and not Arial?
    > >
    > > And just to be difficult: are there ways to ad buttons,
    > shortcuts, etc
    > > to the window. Yes there is an insert date button but it
    > always asks
    > > for date format. Can I set a default on this?
    > >
    > > If the answers are no does anyone know of a *simple* editor
    > that can?
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance for any advice.
    > >
    > > - me
    > >
    > > --
    > > Posted using the http://www.windowsforumz.com interface, at author's
    > > request
    > standards
    > > Topic URL:
    > > http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-Help-Copying-NotePad-WordPad-ftopict545355.html
    > > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report
    > abuse:
    > > http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1736416

    Cheers for that, I’ll give the demo a go
  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Doesn't work for me, under winME, Mart!
    There is no "Save in this format by default" check box" anywhere.

    "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
    > Cracked it!! - Well, in XP anyway!!
    >
    > (I don't have a WinMe box to test it on, so maybe someone can confirm,
    > please)
    >
    > Open WordPad - default font=Arial 10 Western
    >
    > Type a few words and change the font to e.g. Courier New 10 Western
    >
    > Then save the document using "Save As"
    >
    > You will be offered a "Save in this format by default" check box to tick,
    at
    > the very bottom of the Save As Window. (You may also have to set the
    default
    > document type - .txt, RTF, Unicode etc.)
    >
    > Next time you open a new WordPad document, the font will have defaulted to
    > your new choice.
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > Mart
    >

    > "samesmike" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
    > > > columns and
    > > > variable-pitch font.
    > > > >

    > > > too many bells & whistles.
    > > >
    > > > Rick
    > >
    > > Joing this a bit late as I came from a ggogle search on how to
    > > configure Wordpad defaults ... maybe something like a normal.dot
    > >
    > > I have the (some) of the same problems searcher17 has. I like wordpad
    > > as notepad is too basic, I dislike word as it has, as mentioned, too
    > > many bells and whistles.
    > >
    > > My question therefore: How can I get wordpad to always open with
    > > Courier New and not Arial?
    > >
    > > And just to be difficult: are there ways to ad buttons, shortcuts, etc
    > > to the window. Yes there is an insert date button but it always asks
    > > for date format. Can I set a default on this?
    > >
    > > If the answers are no does anyone know of a *simple* editor that can?
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance for any advice.
    > >
    > > - me
    > >
    > > --
    > > Posted using the http://www.windowsforumz.com interface, at author's
    > > request
    > > Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards
    > > Topic URL:

    http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-Help-Copying-NotePad-WordPad-ftopict545355.html
    > > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:
    > > http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1736416

  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Mmm... I did wonder about that Jack as I notice the XP version of WordPad
    is 5.1.2600.2180, whereas that for WinMe is v.5.00.1691.1 and is some 10Kb
    smaller than the XP version.

    Just tried a little experiment and extracted the WinMe version of
    WordPad.exe from the WinMe CD and tried running it on my XP box.

    Guess what?

    > There is no "Save in this format by default" check box" anywhere. !!!

    And I noticed one or two other 'slight' anomalies - which *may* be due to it
    being run in XP of course!!

    Oh well, looks like MS took the initiative, when they introduced XP <g>

    BTW - I noticed also that the WinMe version defaulted to Times Roman font
    and not Arial. Interesting! - So maybe there is a 'work-around' out there.

    Thanks for the feedback though, Jack. - But there must be a way <g>

    Mart

    > Doesn't work for me, under winME, Mart!
    > There is no "Save in this format by default" check box" anywhere.

    > In Memorium: Alex Nichol
    > Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    > ------
    > "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
    >> Cracked it!! - Well, in XP anyway!!
    >>
    >> (I don't have a WinMe box to test it on, so maybe someone can confirm,
    >> please)
    >>
    >> Open WordPad - default font=Arial 10 Western
    >>
    >> Type a few words and change the font to e.g. Courier New 10 Western
    >>
    >> Then save the document using "Save As"
    >>
    >> You will be offered a "Save in this format by default" check box to tick,
    > at
    >> the very bottom of the Save As Window. (You may also have to set the
    > default
    >> document type - .txt, RTF, Unicode etc.)
    >>
    >> Next time you open a new WordPad document, the font will have defaulted
    >> your new choice.
    >>
    >> HTH
    >>
    >> Mart
    >>

    >> "samesmike" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message

    >> > Joing this a bit late as I came from a ggogle search on how to
    >> > configure Wordpad defaults ... maybe something like a normal.dot
    >> >
    >> > I have the (some) of the same problems searcher17 has. I like wordpad
    >> > as notepad is too basic, I dislike word as it has, as mentioned, too
    >> > many bells and whistles.
    >> >
    >> > My question therefore: How can I get wordpad to always open with
    >> > Courier New and not Arial?
    >> >
    >> > And just to be difficult: are there ways to ad buttons, shortcuts, etc
    >> > to the window. Yes there is an insert date button but it always asks
    >> > for date format. Can I set a default on this?
    >> >
    >> > If the answers are no does anyone know of a *simple* editor that can?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks in advance for any advice.
    >> >
    >> > - me
    >> >
    >> > --
    >> > Posted using the http://www.windowsforumz.com interface, at author's
    >> > request
    >> > Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards
    >> > Topic URL:
    >> >
    > http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-Help-Copying-NotePad-WordPad-ftopict545355.html
    >> > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:
    >> > http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1736416

  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    I have only found this info, Mart. Many hits on Google:

    "The other way is to change the font then save it as a template -
    WpadTmpl.wri will do.
    Go to this file and make it read only. Make a shortcut to it and use this as
    WordPad in future.

    It will always come up with the font you had set, but you will have to save
    it with a new name each time (you usually do anyway).

    There is no other way to keep the font setting in WordPad."
    http://www.computing.net/windows95/wwwboard/forum/165943.html
    -----

    And this year-old post did not receive any reply:
    Newbie (1 Posts)

    8/18/2004 11:12:43 AM
    I have XP Pro, which has both the 196 kb and 200 kb versions of Wordpad,
    each natively located in different places. I want either to be able to set a
    different default font in the 200 kb version (change it from Times New Roman
    to Arial) and a friend's ME and another friend's 2000 or to install the 196
    kb version on both of their computers, which seem to have only the 200 kb
    version. Does anyone know how to reset the default font in the 200 kb
    vesion? Thanks.
    http://www.anetforums.com/posts.aspx?ThreadIndex=29129
    ---

    Microsoft's odd but useful WordPad
    By Al Fasoldt Copyright © 1997, Al Fasoldt
    http://aroundcny.com/technofile/texts/bkwordpad97.html

    "WordPad displays the text using a Courier font. This is a monospaced font
    that old-timers should recognize as the standard typewriter face of a few
    decades ago. It's easy to read and keeps spacebar-aligned charts -- of the
    kind that was common in technical documents of the 1980s -- perfectly lined
    up on your screen and in your printout. But this default font can't be
    easily changed. You can, of course, highlight the entire document (Control-A
    is a quick shortcut to do that) and then choose another font, but what's
    needed is a simple way to get WordPad to switch to another font as the
    default when it opens a text. Various schemes to change WordPad's behavior
    have been suggested (none of which I'll mention here, mostly because they
    either don't work or don't actually change the default behavior), but the
    solution is to let this typewriter font take over and do its thing; after a
    while, you'll get to like it. "

    ----

    Start WordPad the Way You Want

    Every time I start my WordPad program, it uses the default font setting of
    point size 10 and I have to change it manually to the size I prefer. How can
    I change the default font size, style, and other properties?
    Sam Cimino, Merrillville, Indiana

    The short answer is, you can't. But you can work around this limitation
    fairly easily. Start WordPad, and if you have any boilerplate information,
    such as a logo or a letterhead graphic, type or paste that into a new
    document. Move the cursor to where you want to start typing your text, and
    type a space. Select the space you just typed, and apply the desired
    typeface, size, alignment, and other settings (see Figure 3).
    [Continued]
    http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article/0,aid,52364,pg,3,00.asp
    ---

    The obvious best solution is to use a third-party Wordpad clone which has
    the desired feature/s.

    > Mmm... I did wonder about that Jack as I notice the XP version of WordPad
    > is 5.1.2600.2180, whereas that for WinMe is v.5.00.1691.1 and is some 10Kb
    > smaller than the XP version.
    >
    > Just tried a little experiment and extracted the WinMe version of
    > WordPad.exe from the WinMe CD and tried running it on my XP box.
    >
    > Guess what?
    >
    > > There is no "Save in this format by default" check box" anywhere. !!!
    >
    > And I noticed one or two other 'slight' anomalies - which *may* be due to
    it
    > being run in XP of course!!
    >
    > Oh well, looks like MS took the initiative, when they introduced XP <g>
    >
    > BTW - I noticed also that the WinMe version defaulted to Times Roman font
    > and not Arial. Interesting! - So maybe there is a 'work-around' out there.
    >
    > Thanks for the feedback though, Jack. - But there must be a way <g>
    >
    > Mart
    >

    > "Jack E Martinelli" <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> wrote in message
    > > Doesn't work for me, under winME, Mart!
    > > There is no "Save in this format by default" check box" anywhere.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User / DTS
    > > Help us help you: http://www.dts-L.org/goodpost.htm
    > > In Memorium: Alex Nichol
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexperts/nichol.mspx
    > > Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    > > ------
    > > "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
    > >> Cracked it!! - Well, in XP anyway!!
    > >>
    > >> (I don't have a WinMe box to test it on, so maybe someone can confirm,
    > >> please)
    > >>
    > >> Open WordPad - default font=Arial 10 Western
    > >>
    > >> Type a few words and change the font to e.g. Courier New 10 Western
    > >>
    > >> Then save the document using "Save As"
    > >>
    > >> You will be offered a "Save in this format by default" check box to
    tick,
    > > at
    > >> the very bottom of the Save As Window. (You may also have to set the
    > > default
    > >> document type - .txt, RTF, Unicode etc.)
    > >>
    > >> Next time you open a new WordPad document, the font will have defaulted
    > >> your new choice.
    > >>
    > >> HTH
    > >>
    > >> Mart
    > >>

    > >> "samesmike" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message

    http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-Help-Copying-NotePad-WordPad-ftopict545355.html

  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Yes Jack, a template is the same way I did (and still do!) it with Write.exe
    in the (good old) Win3x days, but never thought of suggesting it for this
    thread - 'little grey cells' are dying rapidly <g>.

    I still use the 3x version of Write in XP (and have done so thru' the 9x
    series) for backward-compatibility reasons, as it makes - and maintains -
    very small (relatively) files, where Notepad isn't always suitable/adequate,
    although there are the down sides of course <g>

    Mart

> [...]
    >>
    >> Guess what?
    >>
    >> > There is no "Save in this format by default" check box" anywhere. !!!
    >>
    >> And I noticed one or two other 'slight' anomalies - which *may* be due to
    > it
    >> being run in XP of course!!
    >>
    >> Oh well, looks like MS took the initiative, when they introduced XP <g>
    >>
    >> BTW - I noticed also that the WinMe version defaulted to Times Roman font
    >> and not Arial. Interesting! - So maybe there is a 'work-around' out
    >> there.
    >>
    >> Thanks for the feedback though, Jack. - But there must be a way <g>
    >>
    >> Mart
    >>

    >> "Jack E Martinelli" <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> wrote in message
    >> > Doesn't work for me, under winME, Mart!
    >> > There is no "Save in this format by default" check box" anywhere.
    >> >
    >> > --
    >> > Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User / DTS

  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    PS. - missed the bit about XP on your previous post.

    Like I said earlier, MS seem to have used their initiative in XP and
    resolved the problem with the added "Save in this format by default" check
    box.

    Mart

Notepad Microsoft Windows