When I go to the updates page it will scan for updates,
tell me to click to begin download, the window pops up that
says preparing to download.....but nothing happens after
that? Any Idea what could be wrong?

gerry

Are you behind a firewall? Sometimes that will cause
update problems. If you have a firewall program installed
on your computer, disable it and the try the update
feature again.

The only firewall I have is the one that is built into xp,
could that be the problem?

the only firewall i have is the one built into xp, could
that be the prob?

Open Control Panel, open Internet Options, on the General tab, click Delete
Cookies, Delete Files (Accept the option to delete all offline content) and
click clear History and close that box. While still in Control Panel, open
Folder Options, go to the View tab, place a check next to "Show hidden files
and folder" and remove the checks next to "Hide extensions for known file
types" and "Hide protected operating system files," click apply and ok.

Now open Windows Explorer as opposed to Internet Explorer, click the plus
sign next to the Windows folder, click the plus sign next to the System32
folder, rename the CatRoot2 folder as CatRoot2old. NOTE: this is not the
CatRoot folder. If you see no CatRoot2 folder, move on to the next step.

Go to Start and type msconfig in the run box and press enter. Go to The
services tab, be sure both Cryptographic Services and Remote Procedure call
have checks next to them, if not, check them, click apply and ok.

Other possible causes. If you have NetZip or other download accelerators
installed on your system, remove
them.

Now, reboot the system and try the download again.

If that fails, try the following links for additional help and information:

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_u.htm and look under the "Updates"
section for a possible solution.

--
Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

> The only firewall I have is the one that is built into xp,
> could that be the problem?

Unknown

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2002

No. Windows firewall does not effect downloading.