building a fast computer?

Beowulf

Distinguished
May 29, 2004

What would be the best way to go about building the fastest computer system
for 2D and somewhat less so 3D rendering, the end goal being a fast system
for doing high resolution layers for digital collage design? Beyond the
basic building a system with a fast CPU, fast graphics card, and lots of
RAM (also video ram), I am wondering about building a dual-processor
system, or can a dual video card system be build, or perhaps a parallel
processing system with 3 or 4 or 5 computers sharing the load. THis is
somewhat of a geek thing, I have built a number of computers and I am
wondering how to build a fast graphics design system, which is the best way
to go (dual processor or parallel processing, dual video cards [if that is
even possible]).

"Beowulf" <beowulf@nowhere.com> wrote...
> What would be the best way to go about building the fastest computer system
> for 2D and somewhat less so 3D rendering, the end goal being a fast system
> for doing high resolution layers for digital collage design?

A dual Xeon workstation would be the primary setup for starters. Then look for
workstation-grade graphics cards that support the graphics you work with most.
You'll likely have to peruse vendors' sites to get a better idea of the cards
that are available that are not targeted to gamers...

rhys

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2002

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 16:58:01 -0600, Beowulf <beowulf@nowhere.com>
wrote:

>What would be the best way to go about building the fastest computer system
>for 2D and somewhat less so 3D rendering, the end goal being a fast system
>for doing high resolution layers for digital collage design? Beyond the
>basic building a system with a fast CPU, fast graphics card, and lots of
>RAM (also video ram), I am wondering about building a dual-processor
>system, or can a dual video card system be build, or perhaps a parallel
>processing system with 3 or 4 or 5 computers sharing the load. THis is
>somewhat of a geek thing, I have built a number of computers and I am
>wondering how to build a fast graphics design system, which is the best way
>to go (dual processor or parallel processing, dual video cards [if that is
>even possible]).

You've got about six different questions here. Please be more specific
about your intended use and I'm sure someone can help you. The fastest
2D system would be a markedly different beast in some respects than a
3D rig, and you need to decide how fast is fast enough.

A graphics workstation will benefit from dual processors, for
instance, but only coupled with lots of fast RAM and a decent, but not
necessarily top-end "gaming" video card. But consider that dual-core
processors, which are analogous but not quite the same thing as dual
processors, are coming on line, and the bus speed and other mobo
hardware specs and designs can have a big impact on how "Fast like
rocket" your proposed rig will seem.

I find looking at the standard mobo/CPU test sites (Tom's Hardware,
etc.) and seeking out Photoshop and InDesign render times is
instructive.

For 2D, I've found it's a matter of synergy, rather than raw power:
you can cheap out a bit on dual processors and buy more RAM and a
better video card, for instance. How this plays out in the next twelve
months is a learning opportunity, because I only build graphics rigs
every four years or so...and the time is approaching.

Good luck.

R.

Beowulf <beowulf@nowhere.com> wrote:

>What would be the best way to go about building the fastest
>computer system for 2D and somewhat less so 3D rendering, the end
>goal being a fast system for doing high resolution layers for
>digital collage design? Beyond the basic building a system with a
>fast CPU, fast graphics card, and lots of RAM (also video ram), I
>am wondering about building a dual-processor system, or can a dual
>video card system be build, or perhaps a parallel processing system
>with 3 or 4 or 5 computers sharing the load. THis is somewhat of a
>geek thing, I have built a number of computers and I am wondering
>how to build a fast graphics design system, which is the best way
>to go (dual processor or parallel processing, dual video cards [if
>that is even possible]).

Just in case you haven't already thought of this. I would ask in
some of the graphics design groups. Some of them are techies and
might know what components are best.