computer checks cpu, loads ram and then... nothing.

I am troubleshooting a friend's computer and something weird happens.
The computer starts, discovers the processor, checks the memory and...
nothing. Doesn't go pass the startup screen, and does not let me enter
the bios setup.

The computer is an old Shuttle SV24. There is absolutely nothing
plugged in at the moment. No CD, no HD, nothing (just trying to enter
the setup). I am running it w/ one PC100 stick of 256 MBs (according to
my research, this POS runs w/ either PC100 or PC133). It's not the
processor, I already replaced that.
Any clues?
Thanks,

-Facundo.
9 answers Last reply
More about computer checks loads then nothing

    Ginchy wrote:
    > are you running a cpu with an fsb of 133 with sd100 ram?
    >
    > you need sd133 ram
    >

    > "Facun Chamut" <facunchamut@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > > I am troubleshooting a friend's computer and something weird
    happens.
    > > The computer starts, discovers the processor, checks the memory
    and...
    > > nothing. Doesn't go pass the startup screen, and does not let me
    enter
    > > the bios setup.
    > >
    > > The computer is an old Shuttle SV24. There is absolutely nothing
    > > plugged in at the moment. No CD, no HD, nothing (just trying to
    enter
    > > the setup). I am running it w/ one PC100 stick of 256 MBs
    (according to
    > > my research, this POS runs w/ either PC100 or PC133). It's not the
    > > processor, I already replaced that.
    > > Any clues?
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > -Facundo.

    nope, I am running an intel piii sl45w
    http://www.cpu-world.com/sspec/SL/SL45W.html
    the bus runs @100MhZ.

    BTW, if that were the case (133 bus w/ 100 ram), would these be the
    symptoms? (not entering setup).

    Thanks,

    -Facundo.

    BruceM wrote:
    > Some boards need a keyboard & a HD connected.

    thanks for the idea, thou I just tried that and still nothing.

    David Maynard wrote:
    > Facun Chamut wrote:
    >
    > > I am troubleshooting a friend's computer and something weird
    happens.
    > > The computer starts, discovers the processor, checks the memory
    and...
    > > nothing. Doesn't go pass the startup screen, and does not let me
    enter
    > > the bios setup.
    > >
    > > The computer is an old Shuttle SV24. There is absolutely nothing
    > > plugged in at the moment. No CD, no HD, nothing (just trying to
    enter
    > > the setup). I am running it w/ one PC100 stick of 256 MBs
    (according to
    > > my research, this POS runs w/ either PC100 or PC133). It's not the
    > > processor, I already replaced that.
    > > Any clues?
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > -Facundo.
    > >

    > Try resetting the BIOS. Unplug PSU and clear CMOS.

    I own you a beer.
    Thanks much.

    that obviously reads owE.

    Facun Chamut wrote:

    > David Maynard wrote:
    >
    >>Facun Chamut wrote:
    >>

    >>>I am troubleshooting a friend's computer and something weird
    >
    > happens.
    >
    >>>The computer starts, discovers the processor, checks the memory
    >
    > and...
    >
    >>>nothing. Doesn't go pass the startup screen, and does not let me
    >
    > enter
    >
    >>>the bios setup.
    >>>
    >>>The computer is an old Shuttle SV24. There is absolutely nothing
    >>>plugged in at the moment. No CD, no HD, nothing (just trying to
    >
    > enter
    >
    >>>the setup). I am running it w/ one PC100 stick of 256 MBs
    >
    > (according to
    >
    >>>my research, this POS runs w/ either PC100 or PC133). It's not the
    >>>processor, I already replaced that.
    >>>Any clues?
    >>>Thanks,
    >>>
    >>>-Facundo.
    >>>

    >>Try resetting the BIOS. Unplug PSU and clear CMOS.
    >

    > I own you a beer.
    > Thanks much.

    I hope that means it worked ;)

    are you running a cpu with an fsb of 133 with sd100 ram?

    you need sd133 ram

    "Facun Chamut" <facunchamut@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > I am troubleshooting a friend's computer and something weird happens.
    > The computer starts, discovers the processor, checks the memory and...
    > nothing. Doesn't go pass the startup screen, and does not let me enter
    > the bios setup.
    >
    > The computer is an old Shuttle SV24. There is absolutely nothing
    > plugged in at the moment. No CD, no HD, nothing (just trying to enter
    > the setup). I am running it w/ one PC100 stick of 256 MBs (according to
    > my research, this POS runs w/ either PC100 or PC133). It's not the
    > processor, I already replaced that.
    > Any clues?
    > Thanks,
    >
    > -Facundo.

    it sounds like ram failure thus my theory

    > Ginchy wrote:
    > > are you running a cpu with an fsb of 133 with sd100 ram?
    > >
    > > you need sd133 ram
    > >

    > > "Facun Chamut" <facunchamut@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > > > I am troubleshooting a friend's computer and something weird
    > happens.
    > > > The computer starts, discovers the processor, checks the memory
    > and...
    > > > nothing. Doesn't go pass the startup screen, and does not let me
    > enter
    > > > the bios setup.
    > > >
    > > > The computer is an old Shuttle SV24. There is absolutely nothing
    > > > plugged in at the moment. No CD, no HD, nothing (just trying to
    > enter
    > > > the setup). I am running it w/ one PC100 stick of 256 MBs
    > (according to
    > > > my research, this POS runs w/ either PC100 or PC133). It's not the
    > > > processor, I already replaced that.
    > > > Any clues?
    > > > Thanks,
    > > >
    > > > -Facundo.
    > > >

    > nope, I am running an intel piii sl45w
    > http://www.cpu-world.com/sspec/SL/SL45W.html
    > the bus runs @100MhZ.
    >
    > BTW, if that were the case (133 bus w/ 100 ram), would these be the
    > symptoms? (not entering setup).
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > -Facundo.

    Some boards need a keyboard & a HD connected.

    "Facun Chamut" <facunchamut@gmail.com> wrote in message

    > Ginchy wrote:
    > > are you running a cpu with an fsb of 133 with sd100 ram?
    > >
    > > you need sd133 ram
    > >

    > > "Facun Chamut" <facunchamut@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > > > I am troubleshooting a friend's computer and something weird
    > happens.
    > > > The computer starts, discovers the processor, checks the memory
    > and...
    > > > nothing. Doesn't go pass the startup screen, and does not let me
    > enter
    > > > the bios setup.
    > > >
    > > > The computer is an old Shuttle SV24. There is absolutely nothing
    > > > plugged in at the moment. No CD, no HD, nothing (just trying to
    > enter
    > > > the setup). I am running it w/ one PC100 stick of 256 MBs
    > (according to
    > > > my research, this POS runs w/ either PC100 or PC133). It's not the
    > > > processor, I already replaced that.
    > > > Any clues?
    > > > Thanks,
    > > >
    > > > -Facundo.
    > > >

    > nope, I am running an intel piii sl45w
    > http://www.cpu-world.com/sspec/SL/SL45W.html
    > the bus runs @100MhZ.
    >
    > BTW, if that were the case (133 bus w/ 100 ram), would these be the
    > symptoms? (not entering setup).
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > -Facundo.

Homebuilt Computer Processors Systems