Missing IO.SYS MSDOS.SYS

KS

Distinguished
May 2, 2004

Hi,

This morning, there were 5 users (who are using windows 98) complaints that
they could not load the windows 98 ("Invalid System Disk" messaged was
displayed when the system was booting up.).

After the investigation, I found that system files (io.sys, and msdos.sys)
are missing. The windows 98 works fine after I have restored the system
files.

But until now, I still cannot figure out what the cause is. Can anybody
help?

Thanks & Regards

The most obvious causes are

1) a company internal "jokester" thought it would be cute to delete the
files, knowing they are easy to replace, and that criminal prosecution is
unlikely to follow,

2) the machines have a virus infection.

IMO, based on your cursory description, I suspect cause #1.

However, do run scandisk and AV scans on the drives to rule out disk
failures and infections.
In Memorium: Alex Nichol
Your cooperation is very appreciated.
------