RAM module virus???

Last response: in Systems
a b B Homebuilt system
February 23, 2005 10:46:57 AM

I recently bought a new PC with Win XP Pro preinstalled. First time I turned
it on, it complained that "Windows did not start correctly" or something to
that effect, after which it hung. At reset, it seemed to enter an infinite
reboot sequence. I formatted the disk, and installed a new XP Home licence
instead, since that was what I was going to do anyway (I had good reason to
believe the Pro installation that came with the machine was pirated). Same
result. I sent the computer back to the guy who sold it to me, and after
some investigation, he told me that there was a virus on the RAM module or
RAM chip (not sure of the correct English term). To me, that sounded like
nonsense. The RAM module is just a series of data storage ICs on a small
printed circuit, whose entire contents goes away when you switch off the
machine, right? How can a virus reside there and survive a cold start of the
PC? Am I right, or is there something I'm overlooking?

More about : ram module virus

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
February 23, 2005 10:46:58 AM

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 07:46:57 +0100, "toa" <toalmark@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>I recently bought a new PC with Win XP Pro preinstalled. First time I turned
>it on, it complained that "Windows did not start correctly" or something to
>that effect, after which it hung. At reset, it seemed to enter an infinite
>reboot sequence. I formatted the disk, and installed a new XP Home licence
>instead, since that was what I was going to do anyway (I had good reason to
>believe the Pro installation that came with the machine was pirated). Same
>result. I sent the computer back to the guy who sold it to me, and after
>some investigation, he told me that there was a virus on the RAM module or
>RAM chip (not sure of the correct English term). To me, that sounded like
>nonsense. The RAM module is just a series of data storage ICs on a small
>printed circuit, whose entire contents goes away when you switch off the
>machine, right? How can a virus reside there and survive a cold start of the
>PC? Am I right, or is there something I'm overlooking?

Maybe he meant the EPROM chip where the bios is stored? You can get a
virus there.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
February 23, 2005 2:34:38 PM

"Trinity" <three@here.invalid> wrote in message
> On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 07:46:57 +0100, "toa" <toalmark@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >I recently bought a new PC with Win XP Pro preinstalled. First time I
turned
> >it on, it complained that "Windows did not start correctly" or something
> >that effect, after which it hung. At reset, it seemed to enter an
infinite
> >reboot sequence. I formatted the disk, and installed a new XP Home
licence
> >instead, since that was what I was going to do anyway (I had good reason
> >believe the Pro installation that came with the machine was pirated).
Same
> >result. I sent the computer back to the guy who sold it to me, and after
> >some investigation, he told me that there was a virus on the RAM module
or
> >RAM chip (not sure of the correct English term). To me, that sounded like
> >nonsense. The RAM module is just a series of data storage ICs on a small
> >printed circuit, whose entire contents goes away when you switch off the
> >machine, right? How can a virus reside there and survive a cold start of
the
> >PC? Am I right, or is there something I'm overlooking?
> >

> Maybe he meant the EPROM chip where the bios is stored? You can get a
> virus there.

Maybe. I've been thinking the same thing myself. But that's not what he
said. There are viruses around that flash the BIOS, aren't there?
a b B Homebuilt system
February 23, 2005 3:01:43 PM

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 11:34:38 +0100, "toa" <toalmark@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Maybe. I've been thinking the same thing myself. But that's not what he
>said. There are viruses around that flash the BIOS, aren't there?

Yes. But all modern mb's allow you to block access to the bios once
you've made your settings.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
February 23, 2005 3:42:24 PM

"toa" <toalmark@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:BFVSd.9831$Sl3.304988@news4.e.nsc.no...
> I recently bought a new PC with Win XP Pro preinstalled. First time I turned
> it on, it complained that "Windows did not start correctly" or something to
> that effect, after which it hung. At reset, it seemed to enter an infinite
> reboot sequence. I formatted the disk, and installed a new XP Home licence
> instead, since that was what I was going to do anyway (I had good reason to
> believe the Pro installation that came with the machine was pirated). Same
> result. I sent the computer back to the guy who sold it to me, and after
> some investigation, he told me that there was a virus on the RAM module or
> RAM chip (not sure of the correct English term). To me, that sounded like
> nonsense.

It is nonsense, but your memory may be defective. Try running
a memory diagnostic. You can download one from
http://www.memtest.org.

--Bob Day
http://bobday.vze.com
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
February 23, 2005 4:52:27 PM

> It is nonsense, but your memory may be defective. Try running
> a memory diagnostic. You can download one from
> http://www.memtest.org.
>
> --Bob Day
> http://bobday.vze.com

Oh, he fixed the machine all right, I was just curious as to his explanation
of the error.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
February 23, 2005 7:12:58 PM

toa wrote:
> I recently bought a new PC with Win XP Pro preinstalled. First time I turned
> it on, it complained that "Windows did not start correctly" or something to
> that effect, after which it hung. At reset, it seemed to enter an infinite
> reboot sequence. I formatted the disk, and installed a new XP Home licence
> instead, since that was what I was going to do anyway (I had good reason to
> believe the Pro installation that came with the machine was pirated). Same
> result. I sent the computer back to the guy who sold it to me, and after
> some investigation, he told me that there was a virus on the RAM module or
> RAM chip (not sure of the correct English term). To me, that sounded like
> nonsense. The RAM module is just a series of data storage ICs on a small
> printed circuit, whose entire contents goes away when you switch off the
> machine, right? How can a virus reside there and survive a cold start of the
> PC? Am I right, or is there something I'm overlooking?

You are correct, and this guy is jerking you around. Once the power is
off, then the ram is cleared. Serves you right for buying from software
pirates, though.

http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
February 23, 2005 7:12:59 PM

spodosaurus <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote:
>toa wrote:

>> I recently bought a new PC with Win XP Pro preinstalled. First
>> time I turned it on, it complained that "Windows did not start
>> correctly" or something to that effect, after which it hung. At
>> reset, it seemed to enter an infinite reboot sequence. I
>> formatted the disk, and installed a new XP Home licence instead,
>> since that was what I was going to do anyway (I had good reason
>> to believe the Pro installation that came with the machine was
>> pirated). Same result. I sent the computer back to the guy who
>> sold it to me, and after some investigation, he told me that
>> there was a virus on the RAM module or RAM chip (not sure of the
>> correct English term). To me, that sounded like nonsense. The RAM
>> module is just a series of data storage ICs on a small printed
>> circuit, whose entire contents goes away when you switch off the
>> machine, right? How can a virus reside there and survive a cold
>> start of the PC? Am I right, or is there something I'm
>> overlooking?

>You are correct, and this guy is jerking you around. Once the power
>is off, then the ram is cleared. Serves you right for buying from
>software pirates, though.

Apparently you are assuming things.

--
Writing the first dynamically timed systemwide macro recorder for
Windows XP. Please see (comp.windows.open-look). Coding help is

John Doe wrote:
> spodosaurus <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote:
>
>>toa wrote:
>

>>>I recently bought a new PC with Win XP Pro preinstalled. First
>>>time I turned it on, it complained that "Windows did not start
>>>correctly" or something to that effect, after which it hung. At
>>>reset, it seemed to enter an infinite reboot sequence. I
>>>formatted the disk, and installed a new XP Home licence instead,
>>>since that was what I was going to do anyway (I had good reason
>>>to believe the Pro installation that came with the machine was
>>>pirated). Same result. I sent the computer back to the guy who
>>>sold it to me, and after some investigation, he told me that
>>>there was a virus on the RAM module or RAM chip (not sure of the
>>>correct English term). To me, that sounded like nonsense. The RAM
>>>module is just a series of data storage ICs on a small printed
>>>circuit, whose entire contents goes away when you switch off the
>>>machine, right? How can a virus reside there and survive a cold
>>>start of the PC? Am I right, or is there something I'm
>>>overlooking?
>

>>You are correct, and this guy is jerking you around. Once the power
>>is off, then the ram is cleared. Serves you right for buying from
>>software pirates, though.
>

> Apparently you are assuming things.

Feel free to point those things out.

http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
February 23, 2005 7:59:57 PM

"spodosaurus" <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote in message
> John Doe wrote:
> > spodosaurus <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote:

> >>You are correct, and this guy is jerking you around. Once the power
> >>is off, then the ram is cleared. Serves you right for buying from
> >>software pirates, though.
> >

> > Apparently you are assuming things.
>
> Feel free to point those things out.
>

> --

I see nothing wrong with buying a machine with pirated software, as long as
I immediately delete that software and replace it with original, paid-for
software.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
February 23, 2005 7:59:57 PM

spodosaurus <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote:
>John Doe wrote:
>> spodosaurus <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote:

>>> You are correct, and this guy is jerking you around. Once the
>>> power is off, then the ram is cleared. Serves you right for
>>> buying from software pirates, though.
>>
>> Apparently you are assuming things.
>
>Feel free to point those things out.

He was buying a computer, not software. How would he know or even
suspect that windows was pirated until he got the system? He said the
windows "that came with the system" was suspect. To me it sounds like
he didn't suspect that until he got the system. He might have been
planning to install his home version before he even received the
system. Maybe he liked the hardware but did not like the idea of
using Windows XP Pro.

--
Writing the first dynamically timed systemwide macro recorder for
Windows XP. Please see (comp.windows.open-look). Coding help is
needed, using VC++ 7.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
February 23, 2005 8:47:27 PM

toa wrote:
> "spodosaurus" <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote in message
>
>>John Doe wrote:

>>>Apparently you are assuming things.
>>
>>Feel free to point those things out.
>>

>>--
>

> I see nothing wrong with buying a machine with pirated software, as long as
> I immediately delete that software and replace it with original, paid-for
> software.

If you're talking second hand, then yes, but if you're talking about
buying it from a retail outlet, then that's a different matter entirely.
If they're willing to steal software, do you REALLY think they're going
to be looking after your best interests in the components they put in
your system? Do you think they're going to be careful in the handling
and assembly of it? Do you think they're going to be conducting business
practices in a way that does not propogate virus infection to their
clients PCs? etc etc

http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
February 23, 2005 8:47:28 PM

> toa wrote:
> > "spodosaurus" <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote in message

> >>Feel free to point those things out.
> >>

> >>--
> >

> > I see nothing wrong with buying a machine with pirated software, as long
as
> > I immediately delete that software and replace it with original,
paid-for
> > software.
>
> If you're talking second hand, then yes, but if you're talking about
> buying it from a retail outlet, then that's a different matter entirely.
> If they're willing to steal software, do you REALLY think they're going
> to be looking after your best interests in the components they put in
> your system? Do you think they're going to be careful in the handling
> and assembly of it? Do you think they're going to be conducting business
> practices in a way that does not propogate virus infection to their
> clients PCs? etc etc

Ah, so you think I'm just plain stupid then, not morally corrupt. Good. I
can live with that. :)
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
February 23, 2005 9:34:40 PM

toa wrote:
> "spodosaurus" <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote in message
>
>>toa wrote:
>>
>>>"spodosaurus" <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote in message

>>>I see nothing wrong with buying a machine with pirated software, as long
>
> as
>
>>>I immediately delete that software and replace it with original,
>
> paid-for
>
>>>software.
>>
>>If you're talking second hand, then yes, but if you're talking about
>>buying it from a retail outlet, then that's a different matter entirely.
>>If they're willing to steal software, do you REALLY think they're going
>>to be looking after your best interests in the components they put in
>>your system? Do you think they're going to be careful in the handling
>>and assembly of it? Do you think they're going to be conducting business
>>practices in a way that does not propogate virus infection to their
>>clients PCs? etc etc
>>

> Ah, so you think I'm just plain stupid then, not morally corrupt. Good. I
> can live with that. :)

We all get tempted sometimes to chase bargains...that's how we learn
'you get what you pay for' and it's a lesson we all get taught sooner or
later :-)

http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
February 23, 2005 10:26:25 PM

John Doe wrote:
> spodosaurus <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote:
>
>>John Doe wrote:

>>>Apparently you are assuming things.
>>
>>Feel free to point those things out.
>

> He was buying a computer, not software. How would he know or even
> suspect that windows was pirated until he got the system?

1. If he wasn't buying software and there was software on the computer
that is by definition piracy.
2. He stated straight out he suspected it was pirate.

http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
February 23, 2005 10:26:26 PM

To be precise, it probably wasn't piracy until the moment I received the PC.
This guy assembles PCs himself, and I believe he has some maintenance
licence of XP that entitles him to use it to check out each new machine
before he ships it off. However, the moment he ships it off to me without
either 1) wiping the disk or 2) charge me for an OEM licence that he has
himself bought somewhere, it becomes piracy. Ok, so I commited piracy for
the 3 hours it took me to get the machine home, wipe the disk and install my
own, legal copy of Win XP home. I really cannot see anything wrong in that.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
February 23, 2005 10:26:26 PM

spodosaurus <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote:

>John Doe wrote:
>> spodosaurus <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote:

>>> Feel free to point those things out.
>>
>> He was buying a computer, not software. How would he know or even
>> suspect that windows was pirated until he got the system?
>
>1. If he wasn't buying software and there was software on the
>computer that is by definition piracy.

You won't find many computers, even second-hand and homebuilt, that
don't come with preinstalled windows, at least not in the United
States.

>2. He stated straight out he suspected it was pirate.

After it "came with the machine".

He might be dealing with a shady seller, but by his post he didn't
necessarily know that to begin with.

--
Writing the first dynamically timed systemwide macro recorder for
Windows XP. Please see (comp.windows.open-look). Coding help is
needed, using VC++ 7.
February 23, 2005 10:26:26 PM

Don't feed the spammer - doe - troll

> John Doe wrote:
>> spodosaurus <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote:

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
February 24, 2005 12:24:58 AM

toa wrote:
> To be precise, it probably wasn't piracy until the moment I received the PC.
> This guy assembles PCs himself, and I believe he has some maintenance
> licence of XP that entitles him to use it to check out each new machine
> before he ships it off. However, the moment he ships it off to me without
> either 1) wiping the disk or 2) charge me for an OEM licence that he has
> himself bought somewhere, it becomes piracy. Ok, so I commited piracy for
> the 3 hours it took me to get the machine home, wipe the disk and install my
> own, legal copy of Win XP home. I really cannot see anything wrong in that.

It's no big deal, but it does sort of reflect the quality of the
business you're dealing with. Personally, I'd suspect the quality of the
components themselves, the condition of said components (customer
returns reused in another machine), or the handling and assembly of the
components before I'd suspect a virus (but I have fairly limited info as
to what's going on with your system). If there is a virus hiding in the
eprom chip, given the practices of the place you bought the computer,
I'd suspect it got on their from thier network as they were putting the
copy of winxp on your new system. I've seen that happen before, where
dodgy shops try to blame the customer (and charge the customer) for
reinstalling windows on their new PC after a virus buggered up the works
when it was the shop that had the virus in their copy of windows and was
putting it on clients' PCs.

Ari

http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
February 24, 2005 6:11:26 AM

Stalker troll.

"JAD" <kapasitor@earthcharter.net> wrote:

>Path: newssvr30.news.prodigy.com!newsdbm05.news.prodigy.com!newsdst02.news.prodigy.com!newsmst01a.news.prodigy.com!prodigy.com!newscon06.news.prodigy.com!prodigy.net!border1.nntp.dca.giganews.com!border2.nntp.dca.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!cyclone-sf.pbi.net!216.218.192.242!news.he.net!newsfeed1.easynews.com!easynews.com!easynews!hwmnpeer01.phx!hwmedia!hw-poster!fe03.lga.POSTED!53ab2750!not-for-mail
>From: "JAD" <kapasitor @earthcharter.net>
>Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
>Subject: Re: RAM module virus???
>Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 13:09:53 -0800
>
>Don't feed the spammer - doe - troll

See also:
JAD (jde)
JAD (Kapasitor @coldmail.com)
JAD (jdemma25 @eartink.net)
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
February 24, 2005 9:03:28 PM

"toa" <toalmark@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I recently bought a new PC with Win XP Pro preinstalled. First time I
turned
> it on, it complained that "Windows did not start correctly" or something
> that effect, after which it hung. At reset, it seemed to enter an infinite
> reboot sequence. I formatted the disk, and installed a new XP Home licence
> instead, since that was what I was going to do anyway (I had good reason
> believe the Pro installation that came with the machine was pirated). Same
> result. I sent the computer back to the guy who sold it to me, and after
> some investigation, he told me that there was a virus on the RAM module or
> RAM chip (not sure of the correct English term). To me, that sounded like
> nonsense. The RAM module is just a series of data storage ICs on a small
> printed circuit, whose entire contents goes away when you switch off the
> machine, right? How can a virus reside there and survive a cold start of
the
> PC? Am I right, or is there something I'm overlooking?

Preinstalled HOW, exactly? Does this system have a P4 Prescott processor?
The symptom it has perfectly matches the symptom of the incorrect microcode
(in the BIOS) conflicting with later versions of Windows XP on systems with
Prescott core P4 chips. I can see how this would easily happen if you
bought the system from the vendor, who ghosted the install from another
machine that had a Northwood core P4. Still, any reputable computer vendor
should have been aware of the microcode problem with certain mainboards and
the Prescott core P4 processor, if that is what is happening. Oh, and your
install of XP might have been no different than the one the vendor put on
(other than being home instead of pro). Thus, the problem is still present
after reinstall. -Dave
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
February 25, 2005 10:34:00 AM

"Dave C." <noway@nohow.not> wrote in message

> "toa" <toalmark@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > I recently bought a new PC with Win XP Pro preinstalled. First time I
> turned
> > it on, it complained that "Windows did not start correctly" or something
> > that effect, after which it hung. At reset, it seemed to enter an
infinite
> > reboot sequence. I formatted the disk, and installed a new XP Home
licence
> > instead, since that was what I was going to do anyway (I had good reason
> > believe the Pro installation that came with the machine was pirated).
Same
> > result. I sent the computer back to the guy who sold it to me, and after
> > some investigation, he told me that there was a virus on the RAM module
or
> > RAM chip (not sure of the correct English term). To me, that sounded
like
> > nonsense. The RAM module is just a series of data storage ICs on a small
> > printed circuit, whose entire contents goes away when you switch off the
> > machine, right? How can a virus reside there and survive a cold start of
> the
> > PC? Am I right, or is there something I'm overlooking?
> >

> Preinstalled HOW, exactly? Does this system have a P4 Prescott processor?
> The symptom it has perfectly matches the symptom of the incorrect
microcode
> (in the BIOS) conflicting with later versions of Windows XP on systems
with
> Prescott core P4 chips. I can see how this would easily happen if you
> bought the system from the vendor, who ghosted the install from another
> machine that had a Northwood core P4. Still, any reputable computer
vendor
> should have been aware of the microcode problem with certain mainboards
and
> the Prescott core P4 processor, if that is what is happening. Oh, and
your
> install of XP might have been no different than the one the vendor put on
> (other than being home instead of pro). Thus, the problem is still
present
> after reinstall. -Dave

This is interesting. As I said in another posting, the guy fixed the problem
later on. But does this mean that if I wipe the disk and reinstall XP, the
problem will resurface? Does XP do something to the BIOS on install that
causes this problem?
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
February 25, 2005 6:39:19 PM

toa wrote:
> "Dave C." <noway@nohow.not> wrote in message
>
>>"toa" <toalmark@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>I recently bought a new PC with Win XP Pro preinstalled. First time I
>>
>>turned
>>
>>>it on, it complained that "Windows did not start correctly" or something

>>>that effect, after which it hung. At reset, it seemed to enter an
>
> infinite
>
>>>reboot sequence. I formatted the disk, and installed a new XP Home
>
> licence
>
>>>instead, since that was what I was going to do anyway (I had good reason

>>>believe the Pro installation that came with the machine was pirated).
>
> Same
>
>>>result. I sent the computer back to the guy who sold it to me, and after
>>>some investigation, he told me that there was a virus on the RAM module
>
> or
>
>>>RAM chip (not sure of the correct English term). To me, that sounded
>
> like
>
>>>nonsense. The RAM module is just a series of data storage ICs on a small
>>>printed circuit, whose entire contents goes away when you switch off the
>>>machine, right? How can a virus reside there and survive a cold start of
>>
>>the
>>
>>>PC? Am I right, or is there something I'm overlooking?
>>>

>>Preinstalled HOW, exactly? Does this system have a P4 Prescott processor?
>>The symptom it has perfectly matches the symptom of the incorrect
>
> microcode
>
>>(in the BIOS) conflicting with later versions of Windows XP on systems
>
> with
>
>>Prescott core P4 chips. I can see how this would easily happen if you
>>bought the system from the vendor, who ghosted the install from another
>>machine that had a Northwood core P4. Still, any reputable computer
>
> vendor
>
>>should have been aware of the microcode problem with certain mainboards
>
> and
>
>>the Prescott core P4 processor, if that is what is happening. Oh, and
>
> your
>
>>install of XP might have been no different than the one the vendor put on
>>(other than being home instead of pro). Thus, the problem is still
>
> present
>
>>after reinstall. -Dave
>>

> This is interesting. As I said in another posting, the guy fixed the problem
> later on. But does this mean that if I wipe the disk and reinstall XP, the
> problem will resurface? Does XP do something to the BIOS on install that
> causes this problem?

No.

http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
February 25, 2005 7:18:38 PM

> This is interesting. As I said in another posting, the guy fixed the
problem
> later on. But does this mean that if I wipe the disk and reinstall XP, the
> problem will resurface? Does XP do something to the BIOS on install that
> causes this problem?

No, it is a problem with Windows XP's service packs. Well, actually, to be
absolutely accurate, it is a problem with the BIOS of certain motherboards.
However, Microsoft has the ability to fix the problem from their end (a LOT
easier than re-programming thousands of mainboard BIOS chips and then
forcing an upgrade on users who don't want one) but Microsoft chooses not
to. Is it possible that the problem could re-surface again? Yes. It's
possible. What you should do is, BEFORE trying to reinstall XP (if you ever
need to), flash your BIOS to the latest version available, downloaded
straight from whoever made your mainboard. That won't guarantee that the
problem is fixed, but it is the best chance you've got to avoid a repeat.

However, it's possible that your BIOS is OK, already. If it was the
microcode problem that you were experiencing earlier, it's possible that
your computer vendor already upgraded the BIOS for you. -Dave
!