Laptop

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
a b D Laptop
June 14, 2005 5:06:05 PM

Has anyone heard of a laptop being charged and causing a major fire due to a
short. Thats what I understand happened to my next door neighbour. His extra
bedroom on the second floor is turned into an office, and he forgot about it.
I dont know too many details but apparently the fire started between the
ceiling and the attic...I've never heard of such a thing, you??

--
cogito ergo sum

More about : laptop

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 14, 2005 8:22:01 PM

From: "PAT (Paul)" <PATPaul@discussions.microsoft.com>

| Has anyone heard of a laptop being charged and causing a major fire due to a
| short. Thats what I understand happened to my next door neighbour. His extra
| bedroom on the second floor is turned into an office, and he forgot about it.
| I dont know too many details but apparently the fire started between the
| ceiling and the attic...I've never heard of such a thing, you??
|
| --
| cogito ergo sum

Dell had a recall of notebook power supplies in 2004 indicating they were faulty and could
cause a fire.

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml05/05004.html

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Thanks Dave. Will relay the info just in case.
Regards
--
cogito ergo sum

"David H. Lipman" wrote:

> From: "PAT (Paul)" <PATPaul@discussions.microsoft.com>
>
> | Has anyone heard of a laptop being charged and causing a major fire due to a
> | short. Thats what I understand happened to my next door neighbour. His extra
> | bedroom on the second floor is turned into an office, and he forgot about it.
> | I dont know too many details but apparently the fire started between the
> | ceiling and the attic...I've never heard of such a thing, you??
> |
> | --
> | cogito ergo sum
>
> Dell had a recall of notebook power supplies in 2004 indicating they were faulty and could
> cause a fire.
>
> http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml05/05004.html
>
> --
> Dave
> http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

a b D Laptop
June 15, 2005 2:42:33 PM

While I think it rather unlikely that the laptop was placed at the suspected
ignition location, "between the ceiling and the attic", while being
charged, I do think any wiring there could have been gnawed by rodents,
damaged by unobservant attic users, or roofers, etc, initiating a fire.

In Memorium: Alex Nichol
Your cooperation is very appreciated.
------
> From: "PAT (Paul)" <PATPaul@discussions.microsoft.com>
>
> | Has anyone heard of a laptop being charged and causing a major fire due
to a
> | short. Thats what I understand happened to my next door neighbour. His
extra
> | bedroom on the second floor is turned into an office, and he forgot
about it.
> | I dont know too many details but apparently the fire started between
the
> | ceiling and the attic...I've never heard of such a thing, you??
> |
> | --
> | cogito ergo sum
>
> Dell had a recall of notebook power supplies in 2004 indicating they were
faulty and could
> cause a fire.
>
> http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml05/05004.html
>
> --
> Dave
> http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 15, 2005 2:42:34 PM

Jack
No, the laptop was not actually physically put in the ceiling, but the wall
plug wiring routing is probably through the ceiling, this is almost standard
practice in order to feed other plugs, ceiling lights, etc. My thinking is
that the overheating drew too much current and started a fire in the
ceiling, probably idue to a bad connection, rodents, junction box, etc.
Thanks for your reply. Paul
--
cogito ergo sum

"Jack E Martinelli" wrote:

> While I think it rather unlikely that the laptop was placed at the suspected
> ignition location, "between the ceiling and the attic", while being
> charged, I do think any wiring there could have been gnawed by rodents,
> damaged by unobservant attic users, or roofers, etc, initiating a fire.

> In Memorium: Alex Nichol
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexper...
> Your cooperation is very appreciated.
> ------
> > From: "PAT (Paul)" <PATPaul@discussions.microsoft.com>
> >
> > | Has anyone heard of a laptop being charged and causing a major fire due
> to a
> > | short. Thats what I understand happened to my next door neighbour. His
> extra
> > | bedroom on the second floor is turned into an office, and he forgot
> about it.
> > | I dont know too many details but apparently the fire started between
> the
> > | ceiling and the attic...I've never heard of such a thing, you??
> > |
> > | --
> > | cogito ergo sum
> >
> > Dell had a recall of notebook power supplies in 2004 indicating they were
> faulty and could
> > cause a fire.
> >
> > http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml05/05004.html
> >
> > --
> > Dave
> > http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
> > http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 15, 2005 4:24:44 PM

Thank you for your further explanation.
You didn't mention how old the house is. Any modern house, i.e., built
after 1950 in the USA, would have 20 amp-capable wiring. This is far
greater than would be drawn by a laptop. The question is why the house
circuit breaker did not work properly.

"PAT (Paul)" <PATPaul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Jack
> No, the laptop was not actually physically put in the ceiling, but the
wall
> plug wiring routing is probably through the ceiling, this is almost
standard
> practice in order to feed other plugs, ceiling lights, etc. My thinking
is
> that the overheating drew too much current and started a fire in the
> ceiling, probably idue to a bad connection, rodents, junction box, etc.
> Thanks for your reply. Paul
> --
> cogito ergo sum
>

> "Jack E Martinelli" wrote:
>
> > While I think it rather unlikely that the laptop was placed at the
suspected
> > ignition location, "between the ceiling and the attic", while being
> > charged, I do think any wiring there could have been gnawed by rodents,
> > damaged by unobservant attic users, or roofers, etc, initiating a fire.
> >
> > --
> > Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User / DTS
> > Help us help you: http://www.dts-L.org/goodpost.htm
> > In Memorium: Alex Nichol
> > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexper...
> > Your cooperation is very appreciated.
> > ------
> > "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote in message
> > > From: "PAT (Paul)" <PATPaul@discussions.microsoft.com>

> > to a
His
> > extra
> > about it.
> > the

> > > Dell had a recall of notebook power supplies in 2004 indicating they
were
> > faulty and could
> > > cause a fire.
> > >
> > > http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml05/05004.html
> > >
> > > --
> > > Dave
> > > http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
> > > http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 15, 2005 9:24:37 PM

In the UK, ALL power plugs connecting the flexible cable to domestic devices
are required to have an integral fuse, rated at such a value as to protect
the flexible power cable from causing fire in the event of any overload
within the device. Oddly, not even rated to protect the device itself!

If your conclusion "that the overheating drew too much current and started a
fire in the ceiling, probably idue to a bad connection, rodents, junction
box, etc." is correct, then my 'guess' is that the fire was not *caused* by
a 'faulty' charger, but rather by faulty, underrated, overloaded or badly
designed, house wiring. I would also guess that laptop manufacturer would
not be held liable and it was pure coincidence that the laptop charger was
connected. It could have happened with any other device of a similar power
consumption, being connected.

The laptop - not the house wiring - appears to have got the bad name.

Mart

"PAT (Paul)" <PATPaul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Jack
> No, the laptop was not actually physically put in the ceiling, but the
> wall
> plug wiring routing is probably through the ceiling, this is almost
> standard
> practice in order to feed other plugs, ceiling lights, etc. My thinking
> is
> that the overheating drew too much current and started a fire in the
> ceiling, probably idue to a bad connection, rodents, junction box, etc.
> Thanks for your reply. Paul
> --
> cogito ergo sum
>

> "Jack E Martinelli" wrote:
>
>> While I think it rather unlikely that the laptop was placed at the
>> suspected
>> ignition location, "between the ceiling and the attic", while being
>> charged, I do think any wiring there could have been gnawed by rodents,
>> damaged by unobservant attic users, or roofers, etc, initiating a fire.
>>
>> --
>> Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User / DTS
>> Help us help you: http://www.dts-L.org/goodpost.htm
>> In Memorium: Alex Nichol
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexper...
>> Your cooperation is very appreciated.
>> ------
>> "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote in message
>> > From: "PAT (Paul)" <PATPaul@discussions.microsoft.com>

>> > due
>> to a
>> > His
>> extra
>> about it.
>> the

>> > Dell had a recall of notebook power supplies in 2004 indicating they
>> > were
>> faulty and could
>> > cause a fire.
>> >
>> > http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml05/05004.html
>> >
>> > --
>> > Dave
>> > http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
>> > http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 16, 2005 3:31:59 PM

Perhaps I wasn't clear in my two previous posts, Mart, but I intended to
suggest exactly as you are doing so here.
If the ignition source had been at the site of the laptop, the conclusion of
the cause of the fire may have been more difficult.
Since the source of the fire is remote to the laptop and in the ceiling, a
wire failure, as you describe, is more likely, IMO.
Why the wire failed, and any circuit breaker not tripped, is as yet
unexplained.
"Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
news:o F1I6accFHA.720@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> In the UK, ALL power plugs connecting the flexible cable to domestic
devices
> are required to have an integral fuse, rated at such a value as to protect
> the flexible power cable from causing fire in the event of any overload
> within the device. Oddly, not even rated to protect the device itself!
>
> If your conclusion "that the overheating drew too much current and started
> fire in the ceiling, probably idue to a bad connection, rodents,
junction
> box, etc." is correct, then my 'guess' is that the fire was not *caused*
by
> a 'faulty' charger, but rather by faulty, underrated, overloaded or badly
> designed, house wiring. I would also guess that laptop manufacturer would
> not be held liable and it was pure coincidence that the laptop charger was
> connected. It could have happened with any other device of a similar power
> consumption, being connected.
>
> The laptop - not the house wiring - appears to have got the bad name.
>
> Mart
>

> "PAT (Paul)" <PATPaul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Jack
> > No, the laptop was not actually physically put in the ceiling, but the
> > wall
> > plug wiring routing is probably through the ceiling, this is almost
> > standard
> > practice in order to feed other plugs, ceiling lights, etc. My thinking
> > is
> > that the overheating drew too much current and started a fire in the
> > ceiling, probably idue to a bad connection, rodents, junction box, etc.
> > Thanks for your reply. Paul
> > --
> > cogito ergo sum
> >

> > "Jack E Martinelli" wrote:
> >
> >> While I think it rather unlikely that the laptop was placed at the
> >> suspected
> >> ignition location, "between the ceiling and the attic", while being
> >> charged, I do think any wiring there could have been gnawed by rodents,
> >> damaged by unobservant attic users, or roofers, etc, initiating a fire.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User / DTS
> >> Help us help you: http://www.dts-L.org/goodpost.htm
> >> In Memorium: Alex Nichol
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexper...
> >> Your cooperation is very appreciated.
> >> ------
> >> "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote in message

> >> to a
> >> extra
> >> about it.
> >> the

> >> faulty and could

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 17, 2005 12:10:10 AM

Cheers, Jack - crystal! - and I did notice that your reply yesterday, was
timed at the same as mine, so therefore consider that between us, we put the
case for the Laptop Manufacturer, on behalf both sides of the pond.

As I pointed out, "The laptop - not the house wiring - appears to have got
the bad name." <g>

Mart

!