System Restore-System Checkpoints :Frequency?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsme.systemtools (More info?)

Hi there:

1) What is the normal frequency of automatic System Checkpoints created by
windows ME System Restore?

2) What is the optimal disk space to allow for system Restore?

3) Does setting a lower disk space for it yield fewer such system
checkpoints?

TIA

Ira

Ira <oncemore@outthere.invalid> wrote:

> Hi there:
>
> 1) What is the normal frequency of automatic System Checkpoints
> created by windows ME System Restore?

Ira,

Approximately every ten hours of up-time provided the system is relatively
idle at the time. Other automatic system checkpoints will be made where
the installation is made using the Microsoft Software Installer (MSI) or
InstallShield 6.1 Pro and later. Likewise when updates are installed via
Automatic Update. See MS KB267951 - "Description of the System Restore
Utility in Windows Millennium Edition"
(http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=267951).

> 2) What is the optimal disk space to allow for system Restore?

Personally I find the minimum of 200MB to be fine however I increase it by
one notch when making large changes/installs to a system such as when
installing MS Office

> 3) Does setting a lower disk space for it yield fewer such system
> checkpoints?

Of course, since there is less space to store them. Older checkpoints and
their associated archived files are discarded on a FIFO basis to make room
for news archived files and checkpoints. Note that the actual checkpoints
are relatively small, what takes up space are the archived files and the
number and size of these files depends on the changes made to a system.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com