help! int.modem makes weird noise when connected

when connected to the net this modem makes a loud noise the whole time
kind of grinding sound...its like the end of the handshake noise
doesnt stop...it is working ok as i can load web
pages and etc

it is a softV92 modem using a generic connexant driver [HSF]
new install of 98se...using generic driver as the original install
file is lost and typically the modem has no markings....i used
listmodem to narrow down the driver to use:
= RESULT OF MODEM QUERY
NUMBER OF MODEMS FOUND = 1

MODEM #1:
PCI CONFIGURATION INFORMATION READ:
VENDOR ID : 127A
DEVICE ID : 2005
SUBVENDOR ID : 127A
SUBDEVICE ID : 2005
REVISION ID : 01

DEDUCED INFORMATION:
VENDOR NAME : UNKNOWN
DEVICE NAME : UNKNOWN
SUBVENDOR NAME : UNKNOWN
MODEM TYPE : HSF
WINXP INBUILD SUPPORT : NO

i disabled the sound on the modem and it made no difference
any tips would be appreciated.....
relloman
relloman

jad

when you use 'generic' drivers for HS(C)P modems, this stuff can happen.
Sometimes entering a 'string' in the extra commands within modem properties
can fix it, however I don't like doing this if a driver is out there for my
modem that works properly. Modems are 15 bucks(if that) and you'll get the
driver disk.

"hairy colleague" <relloman@beasty.com> wrote in message
> when connected to the net this modem makes a loud noise the whole time
> kind of grinding sound...its like the end of the handshake noise
> doesnt stop...it is working ok as i can load web
> pages and etc
>
> it is a softV92 modem using a generic connexant driver [HSF]
> new install of 98se...using generic driver as the original install
> file is lost and typically the modem has no markings....i used
> listmodem to narrow down the driver to use:
> = RESULT OF MODEM QUERY
> NUMBER OF MODEMS FOUND = 1
>
> MODEM #1:
> PCI CONFIGURATION INFORMATION READ:
> VENDOR ID : 127A
> DEVICE ID : 2005
> SUBVENDOR ID : 127A
> SUBDEVICE ID : 2005
> REVISION ID : 01
>
> DEDUCED INFORMATION:
> VENDOR NAME : UNKNOWN
> DEVICE NAME : UNKNOWN
> SUBVENDOR NAME : UNKNOWN
> MODEM TYPE : HSF
> WINXP INBUILD SUPPORT : NO
>
> i disabled the sound on the modem and it made no difference
> any tips would be appreciated.....
> relloman
> relloman

"hairy colleague" <relloman@beasty.com> wrote in message
> when connected to the net this modem makes a loud noise the whole time
> kind of grinding sound...its like the end of the handshake noise
> doesnt stop...it is working ok as i can load web
> pages and etc

OK, normally this noise would be turned OFF after connection. But as this
isn't happening . . .

You should try to force the modem to factory defaults. It's been a while
since I've run win98, and I don't have a win98 computer handy, but from
memory. . .

Go to start, settings, control panel, modems (I believe this is where you
should find your modem) When you find your modem, right-click it and select
properties, then go to the advanced field, and look for a box for extra
initialization settings. In that box, put AT&F1

If that doesn't work, try AT&F0 (that's a zero)

Basically, the factory default settings SHOULD have the modem turn the sound
off after connection. So to fix the annoying sound, all you should have to
do is restore the factory settings by adding that init. string above. Good
luck, -Dave