>C:/_Restore/Temp files?<

I have infected files within my temp folder. The folder is 12gigs LaRgE. Is
it vital that >ALL< of the backup files stay in the folder OR is it ok to
delete them if I'm not worried about restoring to any point before ToDaY?
I'm asking because the folder is taking up so much space and I figured that
the restore points would just start over from today and build from there.

I'm about to disable the system restore so I can delete the infected files,
so would I be able to delete the rest of them once I'm thru,
>Without Screwing Up Something??< Any advice would be Much Appreciated!! THANX N ADVANCE, The Rookie/Wayne B.
3 answers Last reply
More about _restore temp files

    12GB of archive is massive and in my view way too much and suggests that
    either your C: drive is roughly 100GB in size and you have the space
    allocated for the archive set to the maximum or that system restore is not
    correctly FIFOing older files and checkpoints as newer checkpoints are
    created. Reducing the space allocated may well purge the infected files
    but this depends on when they were archived.

    My first suggestion would be to reset system restore
    System | Performance | File System | Troubleshooting and check "Disable
    System Restore", Apply and IMMEDIATELY reboot. This will flush you
    restore folder and erase all checkpoints, then,
    System | Performance | File System | Troubleshooting and uncheck "Disable
    System Restore", Apply and again IMMEDIATELY reboot. This should now
    automatically create a new checkpoint immediately following the restart.
    Finally adjust the space allocated to the restore folder,
    System | Performance | File System | Hard Disk and adjust the restore
    slider to your preferred setting. A figure of 2-300MB is normally more
    than adequate for day to day use allowing perhaps a week of checkpoints to
    be available although increasing this to perhaps 400-500MB for a few days
    during periods of large installs such Microsoft Office is advisable.

    If this doesn't clear the archive then post back and I will post
    instructions on what to do next. If however all went as planned you might
    want to carry out the following quick test to confirm that system restore
    is working correctly.

    a) Create a shortcut on your desktop to a file.
    b) Create a manual checkpoint
    Could you create a checkpoint?
    c) Delete the shortcut
    d) Restore your PC to the checkpoint you created.
    Was the shortcut restored? Did you see any error messages?
    e) Reboot your PC
    Was the checkpoint retained?
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    MrCmosDriver <MrCmosDriver@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    > I have infected files within my temp folder. The folder is 12gigs
    > LaRgE. Is it vital that >ALL< of the backup files stay in the folder
    > OR is it ok to delete them if I'm not worried about restoring to any
    > point before ToDaY? I'm asking because the folder is taking up so
    > much space and I figured that the restore points would just start
    > over from today and build from there.
    >
    > I'm about to disable the system restore so I can delete the infected
    > files, so would I be able to delete the rest of them once I'm thru,
    >> Without Screwing Up Something??< Any advice would be Much
    >> Appreciated!! THANX N ADVANCE, The Rookie/Wayne B.

    Hey Mike, the HD is a 60gigger. The thing that I'm experiencing now is the
    "System restore disk space use" is greyed out adn I'm not able to adjust from
    min to max. When I hit the "Troubleshooting" tab, the "disable system
    restore" is already checked. It never changes, I have been restarting this
    thing repetitively updating things and from it freezing up and when I go to
    check it sometimes out of curiousity -It's Always Checked- So when it came
    time to do what you suggested I realized that it always go back to being
    checked after it's rebooted. I've done it several times just to make sure. I
    can uncheck it when I leave System Properties but the check is there once
    again after rebooting. So in other words - System Restore is never up and
    running... For Whatever Reason. AND SINCE THATS THE CASE, would deleting the
    files manually harm anything since they're Not purging?
    THANX AGAIN, Wayne B.

    "Mike M" wrote:

    > 12GB of archive is massive and in my view way too much and suggests that
    > either your C: drive is roughly 100GB in size and you have the space
    > allocated for the archive set to the maximum or that system restore is not
    > correctly FIFOing older files and checkpoints as newer checkpoints are
    > created. Reducing the space allocated may well purge the infected files
    > but this depends on when they were archived.
    >
    > My first suggestion would be to reset system restore
    > System | Performance | File System | Troubleshooting and check "Disable
    > System Restore", Apply and IMMEDIATELY reboot. This will flush you
    > restore folder and erase all checkpoints, then,
    > System | Performance | File System | Troubleshooting and uncheck "Disable
    > System Restore", Apply and again IMMEDIATELY reboot. This should now
    > automatically create a new checkpoint immediately following the restart.
    > Finally adjust the space allocated to the restore folder,
    > System | Performance | File System | Hard Disk and adjust the restore
    > slider to your preferred setting. A figure of 2-300MB is normally more
    > than adequate for day to day use allowing perhaps a week of checkpoints to
    > be available although increasing this to perhaps 400-500MB for a few days
    > during periods of large installs such Microsoft Office is advisable.
    >
    > If this doesn't clear the archive then post back and I will post
    > instructions on what to do next. If however all went as planned you might
    > want to carry out the following quick test to confirm that system restore
    > is working correctly.
    >
    > a) Create a shortcut on your desktop to a file.
    > b) Create a manual checkpoint
    > Could you create a checkpoint?
    > c) Delete the shortcut
    > d) Restore your PC to the checkpoint you created.
    > Was the shortcut restored? Did you see any error messages?
    > e) Reboot your PC
    > Was the checkpoint retained?
    > --
    > Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    > mike.maltby@gmail.com
    >

    > MrCmosDriver <MrCmosDriver@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > > I have infected files within my temp folder. The folder is 12gigs
    > > LaRgE. Is it vital that >ALL< of the backup files stay in the folder
    > > OR is it ok to delete them if I'm not worried about restoring to any
    > > point before ToDaY? I'm asking because the folder is taking up so
    > > much space and I figured that the restore points would just start
    > > over from today and build from there.
    > >
    > > I'm about to disable the system restore so I can delete the infected
    > > files, so would I be able to delete the rest of them once I'm thru,
    > >> Without Screwing Up Something??< Any advice would be Much
    > >> Appreciated!! THANX N ADVANCE, The Rookie/Wayne B.

    OK. I think the best thing to do is to blow away the system restore
    archive and its control files and let SR rebuild them and start over.
    Do this as follows:
    a) Boot to DOS using a Win Me boot floppy. Do NOT choose "Minimal Boot"
    from the menu when booting from a floppy but rather choose "Start computer
    with (or without) CD-ROM support" otherwise the ATTRIB command will not be
    available.
    b) At the DOS A:\> prompt, type:

    ATTRIB -H -S -R C:\_RESTORE
    then
    REN C:\_RESTORE OLDREST

    c) Remove the floppy
    d) Reboot your PC
    e) Delete the folder C:\OLDREST
    f) Check that an automatic system restore checkpoint was created.
    g) Finally adjust the space allocated to the restore folder:
    System | Performance | File System | Hard Disk and adjust the restore
    slider to your preferred setting. A figure of 2-300MB is normally more
    than adequate for day to day use allowing perhaps a week of checkpoints to
    be available although increasing this to perhaps 4-500MB for a few days
    during periods of large installs such Microsoft Office is advisable.

    Now check whether SR is working or not by carrying out the following quick
    test.
    a) Create a shortcut on your desktop to a file.
    b) Create a manual checkpoint
    Could you create a checkpoint?
    c) Delete the shortcut
    d) Restore your PC to the checkpoint you created.
    Was the shortcut restored? Did you see any error messages?
    e) Reboot your PC
    Was the checkpoint retained?

    Please post back your findings and give full details of all and any error
    messages you might see.
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    MrCmosDriver <MrCmosDriver@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    > Hey Mike, the HD is a 60gigger. The thing that I'm experiencing now
    > is the "System restore disk space use" is greyed out adn I'm not able
    > to adjust from min to max. When I hit the "Troubleshooting" tab, the
    > "disable system restore" is already checked. It never changes, I have
    > been restarting this thing repetitively updating things and from it
    > freezing up and when I go to check it sometimes out of curiousity
    > -It's Always Checked- So when it came time to do what you suggested I
    > realized that it always go back to being checked after it's rebooted.
    > I've done it several times just to make sure. I can uncheck it when I
    > leave System Properties but the check is there once again after
    > rebooting. So in other words - System Restore is never up and
    > running... For Whatever Reason. AND SINCE THATS THE CASE, would
    > deleting the files manually harm anything since they're Not purging?
    > THANX AGAIN, Wayne B.

Microsoft Windows