>C:/_Restore/Temp files?<

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
June 14, 2005 9:45:02 PM

I have infected files within my temp folder. The folder is 12gigs LaRgE. Is
it vital that >ALL< of the backup files stay in the folder OR is it ok to
delete them if I'm not worried about restoring to any point before ToDaY?
I'm asking because the folder is taking up so much space and I figured that
the restore points would just start over from today and build from there.

I'm about to disable the system restore so I can delete the infected files,
so would I be able to delete the rest of them once I'm thru,
>Without Screwing Up Something??< Any advice would be Much Appreciated!! THANX N ADVANCE, The Rookie/Wayne B.

More about : restore temp files

Anonymous
June 15, 2005 6:32:31 AM

12GB of archive is massive and in my view way too much and suggests that
either your C: drive is roughly 100GB in size and you have the space
allocated for the archive set to the maximum or that system restore is not
correctly FIFOing older files and checkpoints as newer checkpoints are
created. Reducing the space allocated may well purge the infected files
but this depends on when they were archived.

My first suggestion would be to reset system restore
System | Performance | File System | Troubleshooting and check "Disable
System Restore", Apply and IMMEDIATELY reboot. This will flush you
restore folder and erase all checkpoints, then,
System | Performance | File System | Troubleshooting and uncheck "Disable
System Restore", Apply and again IMMEDIATELY reboot. This should now
automatically create a new checkpoint immediately following the restart.
Finally adjust the space allocated to the restore folder,
System | Performance | File System | Hard Disk and adjust the restore
slider to your preferred setting. A figure of 2-300MB is normally more
than adequate for day to day use allowing perhaps a week of checkpoints to
be available although increasing this to perhaps 400-500MB for a few days
during periods of large installs such Microsoft Office is advisable.

If this doesn't clear the archive then post back and I will post
instructions on what to do next. If however all went as planned you might
want to carry out the following quick test to confirm that system restore
is working correctly.

a) Create a shortcut on your desktop to a file.
b) Create a manual checkpoint
Could you create a checkpoint?
c) Delete the shortcut
d) Restore your PC to the checkpoint you created.
Was the shortcut restored? Did you see any error messages?
e) Reboot your PC
Was the checkpoint retained?
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

MrCmosDriver <MrCmosDriver@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I have infected files within my temp folder. The folder is 12gigs
> LaRgE. Is it vital that >ALL< of the backup files stay in the folder
> OR is it ok to delete them if I'm not worried about restoring to any
> point before ToDaY? I'm asking because the folder is taking up so
> much space and I figured that the restore points would just start
> over from today and build from there.
>
> I'm about to disable the system restore so I can delete the infected
> files, so would I be able to delete the rest of them once I'm thru,
>> Without Screwing Up Something??< Any advice would be Much
>> Appreciated!! THANX N ADVANCE, The Rookie/Wayne B.
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 2:13:02 PM

Hey Mike, the HD is a 60gigger. The thing that I'm experiencing now is the
"System restore disk space use" is greyed out adn I'm not able to adjust from
min to max. When I hit the "Troubleshooting" tab, the "disable system
restore" is already checked. It never changes, I have been restarting this
thing repetitively updating things and from it freezing up and when I go to
check it sometimes out of curiousity -It's Always Checked- So when it came
time to do what you suggested I realized that it always go back to being
checked after it's rebooted. I've done it several times just to make sure. I
can uncheck it when I leave System Properties but the check is there once
again after rebooting. So in other words - System Restore is never up and
running... For Whatever Reason. AND SINCE THATS THE CASE, would deleting the
files manually harm anything since they're Not purging?
THANX AGAIN, Wayne B.

"Mike M" wrote:

> 12GB of archive is massive and in my view way too much and suggests that
> either your C: drive is roughly 100GB in size and you have the space
> allocated for the archive set to the maximum or that system restore is not
> correctly FIFOing older files and checkpoints as newer checkpoints are
> created. Reducing the space allocated may well purge the infected files
> but this depends on when they were archived.
>
> My first suggestion would be to reset system restore
> System | Performance | File System | Troubleshooting and check "Disable
> System Restore", Apply and IMMEDIATELY reboot. This will flush you
> restore folder and erase all checkpoints, then,
> System | Performance | File System | Troubleshooting and uncheck "Disable
> System Restore", Apply and again IMMEDIATELY reboot. This should now
> automatically create a new checkpoint immediately following the restart.
> Finally adjust the space allocated to the restore folder,
> System | Performance | File System | Hard Disk and adjust the restore
> slider to your preferred setting. A figure of 2-300MB is normally more
> than adequate for day to day use allowing perhaps a week of checkpoints to
> be available although increasing this to perhaps 400-500MB for a few days
> during periods of large installs such Microsoft Office is advisable.
>
> If this doesn't clear the archive then post back and I will post
> instructions on what to do next. If however all went as planned you might
> want to carry out the following quick test to confirm that system restore
> is working correctly.
>
> a) Create a shortcut on your desktop to a file.
> b) Create a manual checkpoint
> Could you create a checkpoint?
> c) Delete the shortcut
> d) Restore your PC to the checkpoint you created.
> Was the shortcut restored? Did you see any error messages?
> e) Reboot your PC
> Was the checkpoint retained?
> --
> Mike Maltby MS-MVP
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>

> MrCmosDriver <MrCmosDriver@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > I have infected files within my temp folder. The folder is 12gigs
> > LaRgE. Is it vital that >ALL< of the backup files stay in the folder
> > OR is it ok to delete them if I'm not worried about restoring to any
> > point before ToDaY? I'm asking because the folder is taking up so
> > much space and I figured that the restore points would just start
> > over from today and build from there.
> >
> > I'm about to disable the system restore so I can delete the infected
> > files, so would I be able to delete the rest of them once I'm thru,
> >> Without Screwing Up Something??< Any advice would be Much
> >> Appreciated!! THANX N ADVANCE, The Rookie/Wayne B.

Anonymous
June 15, 2005 10:36:24 PM

OK. I think the best thing to do is to blow away the system restore
archive and its control files and let SR rebuild them and start over.
Do this as follows:
a) Boot to DOS using a Win Me boot floppy. Do NOT choose "Minimal Boot"
from the menu when booting from a floppy but rather choose "Start computer
with (or without) CD-ROM support" otherwise the ATTRIB command will not be
available.
b) At the DOS A:\> prompt, type:

ATTRIB -H -S -R C:\_RESTORE
then
REN C:\_RESTORE OLDREST

c) Remove the floppy
d) Reboot your PC
e) Delete the folder C:\OLDREST
f) Check that an automatic system restore checkpoint was created.
g) Finally adjust the space allocated to the restore folder:
System | Performance | File System | Hard Disk and adjust the restore
slider to your preferred setting. A figure of 2-300MB is normally more
than adequate for day to day use allowing perhaps a week of checkpoints to
be available although increasing this to perhaps 4-500MB for a few days
during periods of large installs such Microsoft Office is advisable.

Now check whether SR is working or not by carrying out the following quick
test.
a) Create a shortcut on your desktop to a file.
b) Create a manual checkpoint
Could you create a checkpoint?
c) Delete the shortcut
d) Restore your PC to the checkpoint you created.
Was the shortcut restored? Did you see any error messages?
e) Reboot your PC
Was the checkpoint retained?

Please post back your findings and give full details of all and any error
messages you might see.