Boeing 747-400 pitch angle

Last response: in Video Games
February 16, 2005 12:19:51 AM

Hi!

I have question regarding pitch angle during "normal" flight.

For example: I fly Boeing 747-400 on 33 000 feets at 0.85 mach.

Airplane is on autopilot set on approach to Johannesburg Int.

All the time on "Primary Flight Display" I see pitch above horizontal line for some value, I think 300 - 500 feets but altitude is allways 33000 feets.

When I look plane from outside it looks pretty weard. I dont think this is the way it should fly...maybe I'm wrong....

Any help? If my english is bad I can post a screenshot :-)

Thanks all!
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 2:49:35 PM

Screenshot would help..

also how much fuel is in the tanks?

"Boris Bahes$" <boris.bahes@vk.htnet.hr> wrote in message
Hi!

I have question regarding pitch angle during "normal" flight.

For example: I fly Boeing 747-400 on 33 000 feets at 0.85 mach.

Airplane is on autopilot set on approach to Johannesburg Int.

All the time on "Primary Flight Display" I see pitch above horizontal line
for some value, I think 300 - 500 feets but altitude is allways 33000 feets.

When I look plane from outside it looks pretty weard. I dont think this is
the way it should fly...maybe I'm wrong....

Any help? If my english is bad I can post a screenshot :-)

Thanks all!
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 3:34:17 PM

> All the time on "Primary Flight Display" I see pitch above horizontal line
for some
> value, I think 300 - 500 feets but altitude is allways 33000 feets.

Where is the wife sitting?

HTH

Cheers,
Dave (Sydney)
(Apologies in advance - work is a little tedious today...)

:)
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 3:48:05 PM

"Boris Bahes$" <boris.bahes@vk.htnet.hr> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Hi!

I have question regarding pitch angle during "normal" flight.

For example: I fly Boeing 747-400 on 33 000 feets at 0.85 mach.

Airplane is on autopilot set on approach to Johannesburg Int.

All the time on "Primary Flight Display" I see pitch above horizontal line
for some value, I think 300 - 500 feets but altitude is allways 33000 feets.

When I look plane from outside it looks pretty weard. I dont think this is
the way it should fly...maybe I'm wrong....

Any help? If my english is bad I can post a screenshot :-)

Thanks all!

Well, it's not that weird.. ;-) The "real" B747 actually cruises with a
slight nose-up pitch of up to around 1 degree. However in FS this value is
sometimes exceeded. But I suggest to leave it as it is. You could of course
change some of the geometric values in the aircraft.cfg file but this is not
recommended as it will influence some other aerodynamic issues.
--
Oskar
(retired captain)

> Well, it's not that weird.. ;-) The "real" B747 actually cruises with a
> slight nose-up pitch of up to around 1 degree. However in FS this value is
> sometimes exceeded. But I suggest to leave it as it is. You could of course
> change some of the geometric values in the aircraft.cfg file but this is not
> recommended as it will influence some other aerodynamic issues.

Thanks so much!

> (retired captain)

Real pilot? :-)
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 11:02:29 PM

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 13:39:54 +0100, Boris Bahes$ wrote:

>> (retired captain)
> Real pilot? :-)

Oskar is a retired Airbus Computer Operator... er, pilot! ;)

Bill
Anonymous
February 17, 2005 12:19:14 AM

"Dave E" <i.am@my.wits.end.with.spam> wrote in message
>> All the time on "Primary Flight Display" I see pitch above horizontal
>> line
> for some
>> value, I think 300 - 500 feets but altitude is allways 33000 feets.
>
> Where is the wife sitting?

Yes, that could be the problem - move the wife and the fridge nearer the
aircraft's C of G.

Cheers,
John
Anonymous
February 17, 2005 10:19:07 AM

"Bill Leaming" <n4gix@comcast.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 13:39:54 +0100, Boris Bahes$ wrote:
>
>>> (retired captain)
>> Real pilot? :-)
>
> Oskar is a retired Airbus Computer Operator... er, pilot! ;)
>
> Bill

Phew!!! Damn Bill, I still know how to IFR ( I Follow Railway ) a Piper L-4
(aka J-3) Cub......... ;-)
despite sooooooo many computers.........
--
Oskar
(retired captain)
Remember, in the great scheme of things, we're all small potatoes...
Anonymous
February 17, 2005 4:55:07 PM

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 07:19:07 +0100, Oskar Wagner wrote:

> "Bill Leaming" <n4gix@comcast.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>> Oskar is a retired Airbus Computer Operator... er, pilot! ;)
> Phew!!! Damn Bill, I still know how to IFR ( I Follow Railway ) a Piper L-4
> (aka J-3) Cub......... ;-)
> despite sooooooo many computers.........

LOL! I couldn't resist... really, I couldn't! ;)

I prefer flying GPS (General Position Somewhere!) myself...

Bill
Anonymous
February 20, 2005 12:22:36 AM

"Bill Leaming" <n4gix@comcast.net> wrote in message
> On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 07:19:07 +0100, Oskar Wagner wrote:
>
>> "Bill Leaming" <n4gix@comcast.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>>> Oskar is a retired Airbus Computer Operator... er, pilot! ;)
>> Phew!!! Damn Bill, I still know how to IFR ( I Follow Railway ) a Piper
>> L-4
>> despite sooooooo many computers.........
>
> LOL! I couldn't resist... really, I couldn't! ;)
>
> I prefer flying GPS (General Position Somewhere!) myself...
>
> Bill

though you would be lucky and close enough to have GGL installed Bill...
(God's Guiding Light) ;-)

Don
!