Friend s need my help(well your help)

I have a Desktop/laptop 12 PC wireless network, works great using Wap-aes
(all my card will go for now)Thanks to this NG! :-).
My friends have a new Dell Laptop wireless Intel 29xx, dell Desktop int nic,
wrt54g linksys router. do not need internet sharing at this time (dial up)
The laptop needs to access and work on files on the desktop. I can do that
with mine , creating laptop user on both pc anf laptop. No problem! Is the
shared docs the only folder you can share? They want to be able to work on
excel files, etc with the laptop accessing the PC.
So, Just make a workgroup, create common users on both pcs and anything
shared must go in the shared docs folder? Correct or not? In other words can
you share the My documents folder? Both have winxp home. 99.99999% of the
time the laptop will be accessing the files on the Desktop which is hard
wired to the router.
Thanks So Much.
Frank
2 answers Last reply
More about friend help well help

    Sorry for this but, I am use to winxo pro. My friends have Home ed. Does
    this mean I should read up on Simple file sharig? I have it disabled on my
    pcs of course to get the security tab.My friends are not real worried about
    securirt with respect to fole sharing and as a stated, they only have a very
    slow dial up.
    Thanks
    Frank

    "Frank" <stratster68@IHATESPAMworldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    >I have a Desktop/laptop 12 PC wireless network, works great using Wap-aes
    >(all my card will go for now)Thanks to this NG! :-).
    > My friends have a new Dell Laptop wireless Intel 29xx, dell Desktop int
    > nic, wrt54g linksys router. do not need internet sharing at this time
    > (dial up) The laptop needs to access and work on files on the desktop. I
    > can do that with mine , creating laptop user on both pc anf laptop. No
    > problem! Is the shared docs the only folder you can share? They want to be
    > able to work on excel files, etc with the laptop accessing the PC.
    > So, Just make a workgroup, create common users on both pcs and anything
    > shared must go in the shared docs folder? Correct or not? In other words
    > can you share the My documents folder? Both have winxp home. 99.99999% of
    > the time the laptop will be accessing the files on the Desktop which is
    > hard wired to the router.
    > Thanks So Much.
    > Frank

    hi,

    you dont need a user profile on both computers that are the same. both
    computers have to be in the same workgroup. you can also share other folders
    on the computers other than shared docs. you just have to right click the
    folder you want to share and click sharing/security. maybe you should read
    up on simple file sharing. also, both firewalls have to be configured to
    allow the computers to access eachother. both computers have to be on to
    access the files.

    i think that is everything you have to do.

    Andrew
    "Frank" <stratster68@IHATESPAMworldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    >I have a Desktop/laptop 12 PC wireless network, works great using Wap-aes
    >(all my card will go for now)Thanks to this NG! :-).
    > My friends have a new Dell Laptop wireless Intel 29xx, dell Desktop int
    > nic, wrt54g linksys router. do not need internet sharing at this time
    > (dial up) The laptop needs to access and work on files on the desktop. I
    > can do that with mine , creating laptop user on both pc anf laptop. No
    > problem! Is the shared docs the only folder you can share? They want to be
    > able to work on excel files, etc with the laptop accessing the PC.
    > So, Just make a workgroup, create common users on both pcs and anything
    > shared must go in the shared docs folder? Correct or not? In other words
    > can you share the My documents folder? Both have winxp home. 99.99999% of
    > the time the laptop will be accessing the files on the Desktop which is
    > hard wired to the router.
    > Thanks So Much.
    > Frank

Laptops Desktops Wireless Networking