xp pro loops installation

i just built a new computer (asus a7v8x-x mb, wd hd, amd barton proc) & i'm
using my old graphics card (diamond) & cd drive (hp). installing xp goes
fine until after setup copies files to the installation folder. next, the
computer restarts & goes to the 'welcome to setup' pageand starts over again.
it warns me that i'm trying to install on a partition that already has an os
(the one i just started to install). i can delete & start from scratch, then
it formats, copies files to the install folder, then restarts & goes to the
welcome page....& we start all over again.

does anyone know the cause of this? could it be my old graphics card? a
bad hard drive or motherboard? i have already installed this version of xp
on another computer & it went fine... am i limited to one install only?

thanks for any help,
tony
4 answers Last reply
More about loops installation

    | "audiosculpture" <audiosculpture@discussions.microsoft.com>
    | wrote news:D8BD1210-07B4-43C5-9033-59839533DF69@microsoft.com
    | i just built a new computer <SNIP> installing xp goes fine
    | until after setup copies files to the installation folder.
    | next, the computer restarts & goes to the 'welcome to setup'
    | pageand starts over again. <SNIP>

    Try removing the Windows XP CD-ROM from the CD-ROM drive when
    Setup restarts your computer. For more information see the
    following Microsoft Knowledge Base article:

    KB826976 - Windows XP Setup Restarts the Setup Program When Your
    Computer Restarts
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?Product=winxp&scid=kb;en-us;826976

    "Carrie Garth" wrote:
    > Try removing the Windows XP CD-ROM from the CD-ROM drive when
    > Setup restarts your computer. For more information see the
    > following Microsoft Knowledge Base article:
    >
    > KB826976 - Windows XP Setup Restarts the Setup Program When Your
    > Computer Restarts
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?Product=winxp&scid=kb;en-us;826976

    when i try to boot from the hd, it says boot failure, insert disc...then it
    all starts again.

    |:| "audiosculpture" <audiosculpture@discussions.microsoft.com>
    |:| wrote news:D8BD1210-07B4-43C5-9033-59839533DF69@microsoft.com
    |:| i just built a new computer <SNIP> installing xp goes fine
    |:| until after setup copies files to the installation folder.
    |:| next, the computer restarts & goes to the 'welcome to setup'
    |:| pageand starts over again. <SNIP>

    :| "Carrie Garth" wrote:
    :| <SNIP>
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?Product=winxp&scid=kb;en-us;826976

    | "audiosculpture" <audiosculpture@discussions.microsoft.com>
    | wrote news:80299EE6-3485-4DF9-ACC3-375E0AEF7FD3@microsoft.com
    |
    | when i try to boot from the hd, it says boot failure, insert disc...then
    | it all starts again.

    I am not an expert in installation, but here is what I would do:

    - Make certain that the target hard drive is jumpered properly (as the
    master). And make certain that it is set to be a boot device. The method
    you use to achieve these will depend on your motherboard, so refer to its
    documentation. You may also want to make certain that the cables are
    inserted firmly.

    - Then make certain that the partition you are installing Microsoft Windows
    XP is set to Active. For more information see the following Microsoft
    Knowledge Base article:

    KB315261 - The Computer Does Not Start After You Change the Active
    Partition by Using the Disk
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?Product=winxp&scid=kb;en-us;315261

    And if you need to download a Win98 boot disk, see the following
    Web Site:

    Bootdisk.com
    http://www.bootdisk.com

    - Then write a new Windows boot sector code on the system partition by
    booting to the Recovery Console and issuing the FixBoot command.
    For more information see the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article:

    KB326215 - HOW TO: Use the Recovery Console on a Windows
    Server 2003-Based Computer That Does Not Start
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?Product=winxp&scid=kb;en-us;326215

    And if none of that solves the problem you can find peer-to-peer support
    for Windows XP: Setup and Deployment issues/technologies
    in the following newsgroup:

    microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment
    AKA - Windows XP: Setup and Deployment

    The following page has links you can click to access the newsgroup with
    your Web browser, or with a Network News Transfer Protocol (NNTP)-based
    newsreader such as Outlook Express.

    Microsoft Windows Server 2003
    Management Technologies Newsgroups
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/newsgroups/management/default.mspx

    And if you post please include the following information:

    An explanation of what you have already tried (the suggestions above).

    Whether you are trying to perform a clean install of Microsoft Windows XP,
    or you are upgrading an Operating System (OS). And if an upgrade what OS
    are you upgrading.

    What OS are you trying to install, Microsoft Windows XP Professional or
    Home Edition.

    Hard disk partition information and file system.

    |:| "audiosculpture" <audiosculpture@discussions.microsoft.com>
    |:| wrote news:D8BD1210-07B4-43C5-9033-59839533DF69@microsoft.com
    |:| i just built a new computer <SNIP> installing xp goes fine
    |:| until after setup copies files to the installation folder.
    |:| next, the computer restarts & goes to the 'welcome to setup'
    |:| pageand starts over again. <SNIP>

    :| "Carrie Garth" wrote:
    :| <SNIP>
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?Product=winxp&scid=kb;en-us;826976

    | "audiosculpture" <audiosculpture@discussions.microsoft.com>
    | wrote news:80299EE6-3485-4DF9-ACC3-375E0AEF7FD3@microsoft.com
    |
    | when i try to boot from the hd, it says boot failure, insert disc...then
    | it all starts again.

    CORRECTION:

    " <SNIP> hard drive is jumpered properly <SNIP> set to be a boot device.
    The method you use to achieve these will depend on your motherboard, so
    refer to its documentation."

    SHOULD HAVE BEEN:

    <SNIP> hard drive is jumpered properly <SNIP> set to be a boot device. The
    method you use to achieve these will depend on YOUR HARD DRIVE AND your
    motherboard, so refer to THE APPLICABLE documentation.

Computers Windows XP