xp pro loops installation

August 6, 2004 11:39:02 AM

i just built a new computer (asus a7v8x-x mb, wd hd, amd barton proc) & i'm
using my old graphics card (diamond) & cd drive (hp). installing xp goes
fine until after setup copies files to the installation folder. next, the
computer restarts & goes to the 'welcome to setup' pageand starts over again.
it warns me that i'm trying to install on a partition that already has an os
(the one i just started to install). i can delete & start from scratch, then
it formats, copies files to the install folder, then restarts & goes to the
welcome page....& we start all over again.

does anyone know the cause of this? could it be my old graphics card? a
bad hard drive or motherboard? i have already installed this version of xp
on another computer & it went fine... am i limited to one install only?

thanks for any help,
tony

More about : pro loops installation

Anonymous
August 6, 2004 3:20:45 PM

| "audiosculpture" <audiosculpture@discussions.microsoft.com>
| wrote news:D 8BD1210-07B4-43C5-9033-59839533DF69@microsoft.com
| i just built a new computer <SNIP> installing xp goes fine
| until after setup copies files to the installation folder.
| next, the computer restarts & goes to the 'welcome to setup'
| pageand starts over again. <SNIP>

Try removing the Windows XP CD-ROM from the CD-ROM drive when
Setup restarts your computer. For more information see the
following Microsoft Knowledge Base article:

KB826976 - Windows XP Setup Restarts the Setup Program When Your
Computer Restarts
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?Product=winxp...;en-us;826976
Anonymous
August 6, 2004 3:20:46 PM

"Carrie Garth" wrote:
> Try removing the Windows XP CD-ROM from the CD-ROM drive when
> Setup restarts your computer. For more information see the
> following Microsoft Knowledge Base article:
>
> KB826976 - Windows XP Setup Restarts the Setup Program When Your
> Computer Restarts
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?Product=winxp...;en-us;826976

when i try to boot from the hd, it says boot failure, insert disc...then it
all starts again.
August 7, 2004 1:14:02 PM

|:| "audiosculpture" <audiosculpture@discussions.microsoft.com>
|:| wrote news:D 8BD1210-07B4-43C5-9033-59839533DF69@microsoft.com
|:| i just built a new computer <SNIP> installing xp goes fine
|:| until after setup copies files to the installation folder.
|:| next, the computer restarts & goes to the 'welcome to setup'
|:| pageand starts over again. <SNIP>

:| "Carrie Garth" wrote:
:| <SNIP>
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?Product=winxp...;en-us;826976

| "audiosculpture" <audiosculpture@discussions.microsoft.com>
| wrote news:80299EE6-3485-4DF9-ACC3-375E0AEF7FD3@microsoft.com
|
| when i try to boot from the hd, it says boot failure, insert disc...then
| it all starts again.

I am not an expert in installation, but here is what I would do:

- Make certain that the target hard drive is jumpered properly (as the
master). And make certain that it is set to be a boot device. The method
you use to achieve these will depend on your motherboard, so refer to its
documentation. You may also want to make certain that the cables are
inserted firmly.

- Then make certain that the partition you are installing Microsoft Windows
XP is set to Active. For more information see the following Microsoft
Knowledge Base article:

KB315261 - The Computer Does Not Start After You Change the Active
Partition by Using the Disk
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?Product=winxp...;en-us;315261

And if you need to download a Win98 boot disk, see the following
Web Site:

Bootdisk.com
http://www.bootdisk.com

- Then write a new Windows boot sector code on the system partition by
booting to the Recovery Console and issuing the FixBoot command.
For more information see the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article:

KB326215 - HOW TO: Use the Recovery Console on a Windows
Server 2003-Based Computer That Does Not Start
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?Product=winxp...;en-us;326215

And if none of that solves the problem you can find peer-to-peer support
for Windows XP: Setup and Deployment issues/technologies
in the following newsgroup:

microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment
AKA - Windows XP: Setup and Deployment

The following page has links you can click to access the newsgroup with
your Web browser, or with a Network News Transfer Protocol (NNTP)-based
newsreader such as Outlook Express.

Microsoft Windows Server 2003
Management Technologies Newsgroups
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/ne...

And if you post please include the following information:

An explanation of what you have already tried (the suggestions above).

Whether you are trying to perform a clean install of Microsoft Windows XP,
or you are upgrading an Operating System (OS). And if an upgrade what OS
are you upgrading.

What OS are you trying to install, Microsoft Windows XP Professional or
Home Edition.

Hard disk partition information and file system.
Anonymous
August 7, 2004 1:23:07 PM

|:| "audiosculpture" <audiosculpture@discussions.microsoft.com>
|:| wrote news:D 8BD1210-07B4-43C5-9033-59839533DF69@microsoft.com
|:| i just built a new computer <SNIP> installing xp goes fine
|:| until after setup copies files to the installation folder.
|:| next, the computer restarts & goes to the 'welcome to setup'
|:| pageand starts over again. <SNIP>

:| "Carrie Garth" wrote:
:| <SNIP>
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?Product=winxp...;en-us;826976

| "audiosculpture" <audiosculpture@discussions.microsoft.com>
| wrote news:80299EE6-3485-4DF9-ACC3-375E0AEF7FD3@microsoft.com
|
| when i try to boot from the hd, it says boot failure, insert disc...then
| it all starts again.

CORRECTION:

" <SNIP> hard drive is jumpered properly <SNIP> set to be a boot device.
The method you use to achieve these will depend on your motherboard, so
refer to its documentation."

SHOULD HAVE BEEN:

<SNIP> hard drive is jumpered properly <SNIP> set to be a boot device. The
method you use to achieve these will depend on YOUR HARD DRIVE AND your
motherboard, so refer to THE APPLICABLE documentation.
!