How to hookup a 4-Bay Firewire Drive Enclosure?

Last response: in Systems
a b B Homebuilt system
February 24, 2005 12:46:08 PM

I recently inherited from someone an unused external 4-bay firewire
drive enclosure without an instruction sheet, and without a
manufacturer's name anywhere on the box. I can't figure out how to
hook it up.

The interior of the enclosure contains two Oxford 911 IDE/Firewire
bridges, each of which is connected with IDE cables to two removable
drive bays in the front of the enclosure (four bays total). The rear
of each bridge has two 1394 ports, for four ports total.
I'm unsure how to a) set the four harddrive jumpers (master/slave,
cable select, etc), and how to cable the enclosure to the computer
1394 card (one firewire cable per bridge? one for the box? one per
port?).

So far, Win2K Pro sees the enclosure, but not the drives. I get green
lights on a four removable drive bays. All the drives are partitioned
and formatted.
Any advice to ignorant me would be gratefully appreciated.

a b B Homebuilt system
February 24, 2005 7:46:32 PM

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 09:46:08 -0700, limner <limner@arcadia.com> wrote:

>I recently inherited from someone an unused external 4-bay firewire
>drive enclosure without an instruction sheet, and without a
>manufacturer's name anywhere on the box. I can't figure out how to
>hook it up.
>
>The interior of the enclosure contains two Oxford 911 IDE/Firewire
>bridges, each of which is connected with IDE cables to two removable
>drive bays in the front of the enclosure (four bays total). The rear
>of each bridge has two 1394 ports, for four ports total.
>I'm unsure how to a) set the four harddrive jumpers (master/slave,
>cable select, etc), and how to cable the enclosure to the computer
>1394 card (one firewire cable per bridge? one for the box? one per
>port?).
>
>So far, Win2K Pro sees the enclosure, but not the drives. I get green
>lights on a four removable drive bays. All the drives are partitioned
>and formatted.
>Any advice to ignorant me would be gratefully appreciated.

Start with one drive on each IDE cable with the drives set to Master.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
February 24, 2005 11:13:02 PM

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 09:46:08 -0700, limner <limner@arcadia.com> wrote:

>I recently inherited from someone an unused external 4-bay firewire
>drive enclosure without an instruction sheet, and without a
>manufacturer's name anywhere on the box. I can't figure out how to
>hook it up.
>
>The interior of the enclosure contains two Oxford 911 IDE/Firewire
>bridges, each of which is connected with IDE cables to two removable
>drive bays in the front of the enclosure (four bays total). The rear
>of each bridge has two 1394 ports, for four ports total.
>I'm unsure how to a) set the four harddrive jumpers (master/slave,
>cable select, etc), and how to cable the enclosure to the computer
>1394 card (one firewire cable per bridge? one for the box? one per
>port?).
>
>So far, Win2K Pro sees the enclosure, but not the drives. I get green
>lights on a four removable drive bays. All the drives are partitioned
>and formatted.
>Any advice to ignorant me would be gratefully appreciated.

Solution was: set up drives, master/slave, master/slave from each
bridge. Daisy chain the two bridges, use one other 1394 port to
connect to computer.
Cable select on all drives gave a partial result; only first two
drives were recognized. No other permutation of drive jumpers and
cabling gave any result, ie external box and drives went unrecognized
by W2K.
Also, I forgot to mention in the original post that the controllers
are 1394a.
Thanks and cheers to all.

>http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
>----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----