>sndvol32 - No Sound!!<

Tags:
  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
June 15, 2005 1:29:14 PM

I've just extracted a bunch of infected files from this ME (which was already
unstable before-hand) Now I don't have the speaker icon showing up in the
system tray anymore. When I go to Control Panel l Sounds and Multimedia I
double click and nothing happens at all. I hit the other icons in the Control
Panel and have no problem with them opening. So I figure that it has
something to do with sndvol32.exe.
FYI -->I've fully updated it thru Windows and have McAfee installed now
(also fully updated) - Defragged the HD which was scrambled like eggs. Gotten
rid of all the spyware and malware, pretty much cleaned it from top to bottom.

Anyone out there able to point me in the right direction to correct this
>>Pain N The A__ << problem?? I don't know if it having a virus has anything
to do with it or that it would have happened anyway since MEs are notoriously
known for being UnStAbLe.
THANX N ADVANCE. The Rookie/Wayne B.

More about : sndvol32 sound

Anonymous
June 15, 2005 9:44:42 PM

Check that your audio drivers are correctly installed. You can do this
using the Device Manager. If necessary reinstall these drivers or
alternatively use system restore to roll your system back to the state it
was in before you lost sound.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

MrCmosDriver <MrCmosDriver@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I've just extracted a bunch of infected files from this ME (which was
> already unstable before-hand) Now I don't have the speaker icon
> showing up in the system tray anymore. When I go to Control Panel l
> Sounds and Multimedia I double click and nothing happens at all. I
> hit the other icons in the Control Panel and have no problem with
> them opening. So I figure that it has something to do with
> sndvol32.exe.
> FYI -->I've fully updated it thru Windows and have McAfee installed
> now (also fully updated) - Defragged the HD which was scrambled like
> eggs. Gotten rid of all the spyware and malware, pretty much cleaned
> it from top to bottom.
>
> Anyone out there able to point me in the right direction to correct
> this
>>> Pain N The A__ << problem?? I don't know if it having a virus has
>>> anything
> to do with it or that it would have happened anyway since MEs are
> notoriously known for being UnStAbLe.
> THANX N ADVANCE. The Rookie/Wayne B.
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 9:44:43 PM

This problem here is pretty much intangled with my previous post. In Device
Manager I now have 4 things that has the yellow ! over them. One of which is
>ESS Allegro PCI Audio (WDM) And the "Device Status" reads... "The
NTKERN.VXD,MMDEVLDR device loader(s) for this device could not load the
device driver. (Code 2)" When I go to Update Driver it finds the driver
that's already installed. Now since I'm not able to restore to a previous
point, what are my options, Outside of wiping it clean and installing 2000 or
XP. It has a 933mhz CPU. The owner likes ME. ???

"Mike M" wrote:

> Check that your audio drivers are correctly installed. You can do this
> using the Device Manager. If necessary reinstall these drivers or
> alternatively use system restore to roll your system back to the state it
> was in before you lost sound.
> --
> Mike Maltby MS-MVP
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>

> MrCmosDriver <MrCmosDriver@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > I've just extracted a bunch of infected files from this ME (which was
> > already unstable before-hand) Now I don't have the speaker icon
> > showing up in the system tray anymore. When I go to Control Panel l
> > Sounds and Multimedia I double click and nothing happens at all. I
> > hit the other icons in the Control Panel and have no problem with
> > them opening. So I figure that it has something to do with
> > sndvol32.exe.
> > FYI -->I've fully updated it thru Windows and have McAfee installed
> > now (also fully updated) - Defragged the HD which was scrambled like
> > eggs. Gotten rid of all the spyware and malware, pretty much cleaned
> > it from top to bottom.
> >
> > Anyone out there able to point me in the right direction to correct
> > this
> > to do with it or that it would have happened anyway since MEs are
> > notoriously known for being UnStAbLe.
> > THANX N ADVANCE. The Rookie/Wayne B.

June 15, 2005 10:57:43 PM

One question if I may. Why do you think that changing the operating
system is going to solve these problems? I'm sorry but that defies logic.
If a user allows their system to become infected when running OS A there's
no good reason to expect they will be any more careful when running OS B.

As to your audio problems these will be resolved when you reinstall the
audio drivers, either using the CD that came with the PC or audio card or
by downloading them from the manufacturer's web site. However before
doing this I would first try booting to Safe Mode and deleting each of the
entries in the Device Manager which currently has a yellow ! and then boot
back into normal mode and let Win Me redetect the hardware and reinstall,
if possible, the existing drivers.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

MrCmosDriver <MrCmosDriver@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> This problem here is pretty much intangled with my previous post. In
> Device Manager I now have 4 things that has the yellow ! over them.
> One of which is
>> ESS Allegro PCI Audio (WDM) And the "Device Status" reads... "The
> NTKERN.VXD,MMDEVLDR device loader(s) for this device could not load
> the device driver. (Code 2)" When I go to Update Driver it finds the
> driver that's already installed. Now since I'm not able to restore to
> a previous point, what are my options, Outside of wiping it clean and
> installing 2000 or XP. It has a 933mhz CPU. The owner likes ME. ???
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 4:03:27 PM

Jack E Martinelli wrote:
> Off the top of my head, the lack of any System Restore in W2K vs. WinME is
> offset by the far more stable, powerful NTFS in the NT family.
> Across the board, NT family security is far better than any Win9X can ever
> be.
> Since the NT family only use 32-bit system resources, unlike Win9X, the
> machines can run 24/7, and booting is a non-issue.
>
> After five years of almost daily experience with WinME, I think most of the
> complaints about it are unwarranted.
> It is certainly the best Win9X OS for the hardware which can support it.
> Most users never even notice the lack of real-mode DOS.
> System Restore and System File Protect alone are reasons for preferring
> WinME. But there are several additional advantages.
>
> Of course, XP is far superior to WinME, IMHO, in many ways. I doubt there
> is any real disagreement.

never used it... I'm still waiting for my free copy from Microsoft.

Rick
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 8:59:37 PM

Jack,

Personally, and having suffered two massive hard disk failures in six
months, I am yet to be convinced that NTFS is any better at protecting my
data than FAT32 other than having the ability to use nice large partitions
and not have to worry about file size.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

"Jack E Martinelli" <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> wrote ...
> Off the top of my head, the lack of any System Restore in W2K vs. WinME
> is
> offset by the far more stable, powerful NTFS in the NT family.
> Across the board, NT family security is far better than any Win9X can
> ever
> be.
> Since the NT family only use 32-bit system resources, unlike Win9X, the
> machines can run 24/7, and booting is a non-issue.
>
> After five years of almost daily experience with WinME, I think most of
> the
> complaints about it are unwarranted.
> It is certainly the best Win9X OS for the hardware which can support it.
> Most users never even notice the lack of real-mode DOS.
> System Restore and System File Protect alone are reasons for preferring
> WinME. But there are several additional advantages.
>
> Of course, XP is far superior to WinME, IMHO, in many ways. I doubt
> there
> is any real disagreement.
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 8:59:38 PM

Mike M wrote:
> Jack,
>
> Personally, and having suffered two massive hard disk failures in six
> months, I am yet to be convinced that NTFS is any better at protecting
> my data than FAT32 other than having the ability to use nice large
> partitions and not have to worry about file size.

NTFS is better at handling "hard discus interruptus": unexpected
power-outs sort of thing, and ACL's, properly implemented and supported,
makes for better security. The downside is more disk activity, and
small sector size generally means more defragmentation.

Short of a RAID configuration (I'm *still* waiting for them to configure
on a partition basis instead of disk), I'm not sure it was *that* much
of an improvement.

Would be interesting to look at FS specs overview; wonder why they're
putting it off.

Rick
Anonymous
June 18, 2005 1:36:47 AM

<lol> How long you goin to wait <g>
Joan

Rick T wrote:

> never used it... I'm still waiting for my free copy from Microsoft.
>

> Rick
Anonymous
June 18, 2005 1:36:48 AM

Joan Archer wrote:
> <lol> How long you goin to wait <g>

<hmmph> again... do I detect a <snicker> ?

If M$ sends me XP, I'll install it (for a while at least); apart from
that I'll prolly wait 'til the upgrade version goes sub $80 Cdn if at all.

Rick

> Joan
>

> Rick T wrote:
>
>>never used it... I'm still waiting for my free copy from Microsoft.
>>

>>Rick

Anonymous
June 18, 2005 1:57:28 AM

Joan Archer <archer_joan@NOSPAM.com> wrote:

> <lol> How long you goin to wait <g>

Ouch!

One way of sometimes getting a free copy of an item of software is to
participate in (beta) testing of the product. This just doesn't mean
Microsoft and the same principle can apply to hardware, for example I have
a friend who seems to have a seemingly unending supply of printers from
HP.
--
Mike
Anonymous

Mike M wrote:
> Joan Archer <archer_joan@NOSPAM.com> wrote:
>
>> <lol> How long you goin to wait <g>
>

> Ouch!
>
> One way of sometimes getting a free copy of an item of software is to
> participate in (beta) testing of the product. This just doesn't mean
> Microsoft and the same principle can apply to hardware, for example I
> have a friend who seems to have a seemingly unending supply of printers
> from HP.

nifty, sign me up for Ferrari beta-testing, then.

Rick

newest toy: a water-cooler/heater/minifridge... I plan to put it about 5
ft away from the sink and kettle and fridge... or the garage. Of course
it's still gotta stand in line for fixin' behind the hammond.
Anonymous
June 18, 2005 1:57:29 AM

Mike M wrote:
> Joan Archer <archer_joan@NOSPAM.com> wrote:
>
>> <lol> How long you goin to wait <g>
>

> Ouch!
>
> One way of sometimes getting a free copy of an item of software is to
> participate in (beta) testing of the product. This just doesn't mean
> Microsoft and the same principle can apply to hardware, for example I
> have a friend who seems to have a seemingly unending supply of printers
> from HP.

Not sure I'd qualify; my computer habits are pretty sedentary (e-mail,
Usenet, text-biased surfing, occasional game, TV)

Rick
Anonymous
June 18, 2005 2:48:58 AM

Such as this one http://global.acer.com/products/notebook/fr3000.htm?
--
Mike

> newest toy: a water-cooler/heater/minifridge... I plan to put it
> about 5 ft away from the sink and kettle and fridge... or the garage.
> Of course it's still gotta stand in line for fixin' behind the
> hammond.
Anonymous
June 18, 2005 3:59:16 AM

Rick T <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:

> Not sure I'd qualify; my computer habits are pretty sedentary (e-mail,
> Usenet, text-biased surfing, occasional game, TV)

Much of testing is mundane testing the basics, especially when testing
operating systems and tools rather than games or applications of which
I've done little and don't particularly enjoy (MSOffice comes readily to
mind here).
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Rick, the XP Home upgrade version is commonly available in the USA, near me,
for $US 80.00 retail.
Is this cost stopping you, or something else?

Furthermore, we have Joan and Heirloom who are recent XP adopters and can
share their opinion. I think Figgs' recent disaster in attempting the XP
install is unusual and perhaps an anomaly due to her mainboard or BIOS.
If your hardware supports it, XP has far better robustness and security.

And re: Mike's comment: No file system can surmount a physical failure of
the drive. Whether an imminent failure is detected is subject to the
details of the failure. Note that the drive's S.M.A.R.T. feature is
separate from any NTFS file system.
However, the journaling feature of NTFS automatically detects and fixes many
minor file system failures transparently.
Partition size and cluster size can be modified by third-party partition
managers.
Those who can afford RAID 1, or better, will have a very robust, and fast,
file storage system.

Esp. since XP has its System Restore also, in contrast to W2K, I really
believe that once you experience XP, you will never go back to any earlier
Windows OS.
In Memorium: Alex Nichol
Your cooperation is very appreciated.
------
> Joan Archer wrote:
> > <lol> How long you goin to wait <g>
>
> <hmmph> again... do I detect a <snicker> ?
>
> If M$ sends me XP, I'll install it (for a while at least); apart from
> that I'll prolly wait 'til the upgrade version goes sub $80 Cdn if at all.
>

> Rick
>

> > Joan
> >

> > Rick T wrote:
> >
> >>never used it... I'm still waiting for my free copy from Microsoft.
> >>

> >>Rick

Anonymous
June 18, 2005 4:27:29 PM

> And re: Mike's comment: No file system can surmount a physical
> failure of the drive.

The use of the NTFS filing system makes file recovery in such cases 10 or
100 time more difficult than from a FAT32 system. So whilst I agree a
NTFS is more robust in day to day use it is far more of a disaster when it
fails than a FAT32 system. All the more so because of the difficulty in
accessing such drives when faulty since the system attempts to mount the
drive unlike a FAT32 drive which can be accessed from DOS and the system
makes no attempt to mount the drive.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Jack E Martinelli <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> wrote:

> Rick, the XP Home upgrade version is commonly available in the USA,
> near me, for $US 80.00 retail.
> Is this cost stopping you, or something else?
>
> Furthermore, we have Joan and Heirloom who are recent XP adopters and
> can share their opinion. I think Figgs' recent disaster in
> attempting the XP install is unusual and perhaps an anomaly due to
> her mainboard or BIOS.
> If your hardware supports it, XP has far better robustness and
> security.
>
> And re: Mike's comment: No file system can surmount a physical
> failure of the drive. Whether an imminent failure is detected is
> subject to the details of the failure. Note that the drive's
> S.M.A.R.T. feature is separate from any NTFS file system.
> However, the journaling feature of NTFS automatically detects and
> fixes many minor file system failures transparently.
> Partition size and cluster size can be modified by third-party
> partition managers.
> Those who can afford RAID 1, or better, will have a very robust, and
> fast, file storage system.
>
> Esp. since XP has its System Restore also, in contrast to W2K, I
> really believe that once you experience XP, you will never go back to
> any earlier Windows OS.
Anonymous
June 18, 2005 4:33:05 PM

I love XP Jack, and have been using it for over a year if not 2, first as
a dual boot with my WinME box then from a year last November just a new XP
box.
Of course I haven't explored all it's many possibilities but am happily
running my network here at home with 2 XP boxes plus my old WinME machine.
I don't know anything about it though, not in the technical sense but I
read a lot of NG's <vbg>
Joan

Jack E Martinelli wrote:

> Furthermore, we have Joan and Heirloom who are recent XP adopters and
> can share their opinion. I think Figgs' recent disaster in
> attempting the XP install is unusual and perhaps an anomaly due to
> her mainboard or BIOS.
> If your hardware supports it, XP has far better robustness and
> security.

Anonymous
June 18, 2005 5:53:24 PM

Jack E Martinelli wrote:
> Rick, the XP Home upgrade version is commonly available in the USA, near me,
> for $US 80.00 retail.
about $120 Cdn, that'd be.
> Is this cost stopping you, or something else?

LOL, Jack, didn't mean to get you guys up in arms; I'd probably still be
running 95 if I hadna got used to the luxuries of WinME.

> Furthermore, we have Joan and Heirloom who are recent XP adopters and can
> share their opinion. I think Figgs' recent disaster in attempting the XP
> install is unusual and perhaps an anomaly due to her mainboard or BIOS.

In a bit of a snit because she didn't let me to come over and play with
her computer. But I'd never consider doing an Upgrade install.

> If your hardware supports it, XP has far better robustness and security.

It mostly does.

> And re: Mike's comment: No file system can surmount a physical failure of
> the drive. Whether an imminent failure is detected is subject to the
> details of the failure. Note that the drive's S.M.A.R.T. feature is
> separate from any NTFS file system.
> However, the journaling feature of NTFS automatically detects and fixes many
> minor file system failures transparently.
> Partition size and cluster size can be modified by third-party partition
> managers.

Having a reasonably partitioned system already, I can just toast the OS
partition and install, mostly. Win2K was a snap to install... woulda
been snappier if I'da known about the 512-byte thing beforehand instead
of after.

> Those who can afford RAID 1, or better, will have a very robust, and fast,
> file storage system.

Did I tell you about my 4,000 RPM drive ? re RAID 0/1 I'm waiting for
native, partition-level configuration to become common before I consider it.

> Esp. since XP has its System Restore also, in contrast to W2K, I really
> believe that once you experience XP, you will never go back to any earlier
> Windows OS.

no doubt.

Rick
Anonymous
June 18, 2005 10:56:38 PM

She also tried a clean install (or rather her techie did) and it still
barfed! - turns out the mob is a lot older than the case - and it just won't
take XP :(

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

> Jack E Martinelli wrote:

>> Furthermore, we have Joan and Heirloom who are recent XP adopters and can
>> share their opinion. I think Figgs' recent disaster in attempting the XP
>> install is unusual and perhaps an anomaly due to her mainboard or BIOS.
>
> In a bit of a snit because she didn't let me to come over and play with
> her computer. But I'd never consider doing an Upgrade install.
>
>> If your hardware supports it, XP has far better robustness and security.
>
> It mostly does.

Anonymous
June 18, 2005 10:56:39 PM

Noel Paton wrote:
> She also tried a clean install (or rather her techie did) and it still
> barfed! - turns out the mob is a lot older than the case - and it just won't
> take XP :(

I find that difficult to believe; MDG(?) would just be shooting
themselves in the proverbial foot if they couldn't squeeze an extra
couple bucks outta their custo^Wclie^Wconsumers with an XP upgrade.

Rick
!